Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Local Group Bus posted:

I have Under The Dome on order here. Most of the bookshops I visited to pick it up are only offering the paperback version. Screw that. With a book this size I want a hard cover.

Are you outside the US? There are no paperback versions of Dome yet. I don't even think the large print edition is paperback (I don't even know if there IS a large print version of Dome, but they're usually paperback to save on the cost of extra paper for the pages)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Under the Dome seems to only be paperback in Australia :(

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
Yeah, in Australia here. Large format paperback is the only store carried version as far as I can tell. I can wait though.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell
My copy just arrived from Amazon. After shipping, it was only $12.99. Still can't believe that deal.

Now for the 6.5 hour wait until I can go home and start reading it.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
My Amazon delivery ($9.00, hooray) just arrived, and goddamn is this book heavy. 1074 pages.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
There will be an eighth Dark Tower book.

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin
I'm not going to lie, I'd be psyched for a new Dark Tower book. It was a cool universe, and while 5-7 didn't measure up to the others, I still liked them quite a bit. Basically I'm a whore for whatever King writes.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Wasn't there already a huge chunk of 5 (or 6?) devoted to the background explanation of what happened between 4 and 5? I'm referring to how Callahan wound up in Mid-World and I thought that was really the only plot point that needed to be fleshed out. What supporting characters are going to get the focus?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

What supporting characters ARE there, especially at that period? The Breakers? The Whole thing seems a bit odd to me.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Junkenstein posted:

What supporting characters ARE there, especially at that period? The Breakers? The Whole thing seems a bit odd to me.

I can only think of the Breakers and Callahan. Mordred hasn't been born at that point and Mia hasn't manifested. So I guess they could do more with Calla (god I hope not), or more with our world and people like Calvin Tower? I really don't know what characters he's going to tap for this thing, especially if he said that Oy would be included somewhere.

Also, unrelated DT question: can someone remind me which DT book has the revelation of the "mind-traps" like Insomnia and stuff? I'm trying to explain it to a friend but I can't pinpoint when it happened.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Astfgl posted:

Also, unrelated DT question: can someone remind me which DT book has the revelation of the "mind-traps" like Insomnia and stuff? I'm trying to explain it to a friend but I can't pinpoint when it happened.

I think it's DT7. If I remember correctly, they've been to our world where King wrote Insomnia and bring back a copy. I think Susannah gives it to Roland and says it could be a great help, to which he basically replies 'pfft, mindtrap', and thus all that time spent reading DT connected books simply for the fact that they were connected and meant to be important was wasted.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

And yet the one they used, Insomnia, wound up actually being true (in that Patrick DID wind up saving Roland, albeit in a totally retarded fashion).

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I suppose we could get another Young Roland story...

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

I am going to have to recant my original opinion on the worst King book and say that it's Under The Dome for me. drat.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Didn't either Talisman or Black House have tie-ins to the Dark Tower series that were never brought up in the 7 DT books (although others did)? I'd guess they'll come up in DT8.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Local Group Bus posted:

I am going to have to recant my original opinion on the worst King book and say that it's Under The Dome for me. drat.
What? gently caress. :smith:

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Oh, read it though. It's got a little of everything King in it. It just didn't work for me, but there are a lot of people who love it so maybe I am just malfunctioning.

For reference: I loved Needful Things and Liseys Story and a lot of other books people hated. So my opinion means zip.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Local Group Bus posted:

Oh, read it though. It's got a little of everything King in it. It just didn't work for me, but there are a lot of people who love it so maybe I am just malfunctioning.

For reference: I loved Needful Things and Liseys Story and a lot of other books people hated. So my opinion means zip.

I loved Needful Things and hated Lisey's Story, but so far (70% in) I loving love Under The Dome.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

madprocess posted:

Didn't either Talisman or Black House have tie-ins to the Dark Tower series that were never brought up in the 7 DT books (although others did)? I'd guess they'll come up in DT8.

Black House seemed to turn into a DT book at the end, but it was all pretty much ignored or had details completely changed by the time DT7 came around.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Wasn't one of the Breakers in that town in DT7 someone from Black House/Talisman?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The quest in Black House was to rescue a kid who was a really powerful breaker and to stop the Crimson King getting his hands on him. They succeeded so he didn't appear in DT7. The guy from Everything's Eventual did though.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I kind of feel like re-reading The Shining once more. After I am done with that, should I try to get a copy of It?

All I know is that Tim Curry caused me nightmares for being in the It movie. God drat it.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

Luisfe posted:

I kind of feel like re-reading The Shining once more. After I am done with that, should I try to get a copy of It?

All I know is that Tim Curry caused me nightmares for being in the It movie. God drat it.

In a recent interview, King says he's considering doing a Danny Torrance-at-40/Firestarter crossover, if it helps your decision any.

IceNiner
Jun 11, 2008

timeandtide posted:

In a recent interview, King says he's considering doing a Danny Torrance-at-40/Firestarter super hero team-up, if it helps your decision any.

fixed.

I'm already on board for that. Though I was soured on the latter Dark Tower books, I was surprised that since the strongest psi-powered people were being recruited as breakers that neither Danny nor Charlie appeared. I would have welcomed that a lot more than King's self-insertion.

Also, I got my copy of Under the Dome from amazon yesterday afternoon and started on it just before bed, meaning to read for an hour before sleep. I burned through 115 pages effortlessly and enjoyably. That old King flavor is back! Now, if he would only tackle a story on what its like to be locked into the Shop's Maui compound...

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I finished re-reading The Stand for the first time in maybe a decade. I wasn't really a big King fan when I read it for the first time, I think the only other book of his I had read was maybe Carrie. Re-reading it again it definitely made me appreciate how it really is one of his better books. Although how he depicts religion in it is interesting especially compared to his later works like The Mist.

Anyways, I have a question about the ending of the revised version, where Flagg reappears on the beach with the islanders. I always assumed that it was supposed to be Flagg appearing in Polynesia or someplace where the natives resisted the plague, but when I was talking with my girlfriend (who for a long time The Stand was her favorite book ever) she said that she always assumed that it was supposed to be set in the far future, when the descendants of the survivors had lost all civilization and reverted to savagery.

Does anyone know if King has said anywhere or made any indication of what his view of what the new ending was supposed to represent or show?

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Your reading is the correct one.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Stephen King posted:

Hey, you guys--I saw a lot of you Constant Readers while I was touring for Under the Dome, and I must say you're looking good. Thanks for turning out in such numbers, and thanks for all the nice things you've said about Under the Dome. There'll be another book next year. It's a good one, I think, but that's not why I'm writing. I mentioned two potential projects while I was on the road, one a new Mid-World book (not directly about Roland Deschain, but yes, he and his friend Cuthbert are in it, hunting a skin-man, which are what werewolves are called in that lost kingdom) and a sequel to The Shining called Doctor Sleep. Are you interested in reading either of these? If so, which one turns your dials more? Ms. Mod will be counting your votes (and of course it all means nothing if the muse doesn't speak). Meanwhile, thanks again for 2009.

The next novel will be either a Dark Tower spin off, or a sequel to the Shining. :psyduck:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I wouldn't mind a sequel to The Shining. It probably won't be as good, but then again I read The Shining every year and it keeps getting better. Still, it'd be interesting to see what Danny's up to, and I always liked the idea of the shining itself (particularly the little day-to-day snippets, like the woman at the airport worrying about the roast in the oven), so maybe he'll explore that some more.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Hedrigall posted:

The next novel will be either a Dark Tower spin off, or a sequel to the Shining. :psyduck:

A werewolf? Really, Stephen? With all the weird-rear end creatures that inhabit Roland's world, you pick a loving werewolf?

RETIRE, GODDAMMIT!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hedrigall posted:

I guess he has changed his stance on sequels? The last I heard, the only true sequel he ever talked about was a sequel to Salem's Lot.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!
I thought the Dark Tower III: The Waste Lands was the best in the series so far. I am about 1/3rd of the way through Book 7 and I am enjoying it. Everything except Book 6 has been fine, although I found Wizard and Glass to be a bit long given the story it had to tell.

I am still not understanding the whole '19' thing. Can anyone explain?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RagingHematoma posted:

I thought the Dark Tower III: The Waste Lands was the best in the series so far. I am about 1/3rd of the way through Book 7 and I am enjoying it. Everything except Book 6 has been fine, although I found Wizard and Glass to be a bit long given the story it had to tell.

I am still not understanding the whole '19' thing. Can anyone explain?

There is nothing to explain, it's just a magic number there. Like how time doesn't work right.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

Mister Kingdom posted:

A werewolf? Really, Stephen? With all the weird-rear end creatures that inhabit Roland's world, you pick a loving werewolf?

RETIRE, GODDAMMIT!

He says it's not mainly about that, though, and from the sound of it Roland and Cuthbert might just make short appearances.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Isn't it supposed to be set in between Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla? How would Cuthbert even be in that? More flashbacks, I guess...

lamb SAUCE
Nov 1, 2005

Ooh, racist.

Chairman Capone posted:

Isn't it supposed to be set in between Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla? How would Cuthbert even be in that? More flashbacks, I guess...

Interspersed hopefully, rather than just one big block of a flashback.

Why am I speculating, I'm not going to read it.

kosherpickle
Aug 6, 2009
Wait, how can something be set between Wizard and Wolves? Doesn't Wolves basically pick up right off where Wizard ended?
Or is Roland going to tell another story?

Parildo
Jan 18, 2008

Just a little bee
My vote goes to Dreamcatcher. I think not even King can beat himself writing something as bad as that thing.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

True story: when I read Dreamcatcher, I accidentally skipped over a hundred pages. And then I didn't realize it until after I'd read another couple hundred pages.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

kosherpickle posted:

Wait, how can something be set between Wizard and Wolves? Doesn't Wolves basically pick up right off where Wizard ended?
Or is Roland going to tell another story?

From what I remember, it's an indeterminate amount of time between the two books, since they've been walking for a while from the post-apocalyptic US place to the Calla area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Chairman Capone posted:

From what I remember, it's an indeterminate amount of time between the two books, since they've been walking for a while from the post-apocalyptic US place to the Calla area.

This is also the exact time when the series started to suck. I wonder... Can we hope that he realizes that and plans to surprise us by doing something crazy like creating an alternate timeline? Then we can forget books 5-7 ever happened. We can forget about the number 19, King inserting himself into the story, "You say true, I say thankee, Commala, say sorry", the ending, and all of that awfulness with Susannah in book 6. Please...