Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slearch
Dec 10, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

Looks like you're trying to load a *printer* icc profile on your monitor

Am I the only one that read this as coming from the Office paperclip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What's the name of that black border you get around photos that is sorta circular?
I totally know what it is but I can't think of the word and it's driving me mental.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

A5H posted:

What's the name of that black border you get around photos that is sorta circular?
I totally know what it is but I can't think of the word and it's driving me mental.

vignette

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Paragon8 posted:

vignette

You are the best! :buddy:

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Ugh...I'm worrying about something I probably shouldn't worry about. I'm putting together a photo book on blurb (thanks for the recommendation, their software makes it easy as hell) and I've got a few photos from the wedding that are pretty heavily cropped - one I really want to use is 1852x1233 @240dpi. I'm asking the photographer to send me the un-cropped version so I can play with it, but for the moment the Blurb program is balking at using this as a full-page, full-bleed image at 13x11 inches. And they're right, technically, that 1852px x 1233px @240dpi doesn't come anywhere close to 13x11 inches. But I remember a few articles I've read that basically say not to worry about this, so...any thoughts?

Edit: Damnit. I just stretched the image in photoshop to the 13x11 equivalent and printed a crop of it on my (admittedly mediocre) photo printer, and I'm not crazy about the results. It's not terrible, but you definitely lose some detail. It might be time to just pick a different photo for the cover.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 28, 2009

noss
Jun 10, 2003
I was a teenage abortion

jackpot posted:

Edit: Damnit. I just stretched the image in photoshop to the 13x11 equivalent and printed a crop of it on my (admittedly mediocre) photo printer, and I'm not crazy about the results. It's not terrible, but you definitely lose some detail. It might be time to just pick a different photo for the cover.

I'm wondering if running it through genuine fractals or similar might help a bit.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Genuine Fractals and print it at 150, it'll be fine.

noss
Jun 10, 2003
I was a teenage abortion

brad industry posted:

Genuine Fractals and print it at 150, it'll be fine.

Exactly. This is a good time to point out that you shouldn't be comparing the book to prints, necessarily, but to other quality books. Unless you're doing high end prints mounted in a book, you can never hope to achieve that quality in a book. You can come close though, especially if you follow what brad said.

MSC
Mar 20, 2008
Howdy,

I'm an avid dSLR user, and while I love my L lens, I find that carrying a 24-70 in my camera around every day is more than cumbersome. I'm looking for a pocketable point-and-shoot camera that is good for all purposes. It would only be used for when it is hard or impossible for me to carry my regular camera. Looking at my Flickr account, I see that I don't have anything specialized that I take pics of.

-Pocketable
- <$200
-All-Purpose
-Good IQ for the price-range
-Would be easy for a newbie to use if I were to give it to one of my friends to take pics

Right now, I've narrowed it down to a Panasonic Lumix DSC-ZS1 and a Canon SD780IS. They both are in my price range. I'd like to hear what you have to say about either and which one of those I should buy, or a recommendation for something else if you have one.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Question re: color calibration. Are all color calibrators created relatively equal, or is there a big brand advantage I don't know about? I'm a hobbyist photographer and was considering 3 lower end options (Spyder 3 Express, Huey Pro MEU113, and the X-Rite Eye-One Display LT (not the 2)) and just wanted to get feedback from more knowledgeable colour calibrators about whether or not I'm barking up the wrong tree here.

I don't make my own prints at home (don't plan on it) but I do plan on starting to get a fair amount of my stuff printed elsewhere. Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this.

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Nov 30, 2009

Brozekiel
Jul 20, 2007

MSC posted:

Right now, I've narrowed it down to a Panasonic Lumix DSC-ZS1 and a Canon SD780IS. They both are in my price range. I'd like to hear what you have to say about either and which one of those I should buy, or a recommendation for something else if you have one.

I took a Canon A720IS with me to Europe last Summer. That camera is the poo poo.

I wanted a P&S with fully manual controls, could fit in my pocket, and was a good price. The image quality is very nice too and the controls easy to use. Here are some photos I took from my trip to Europe. You can also use the CHDK firmware firmware with it which expand the capabilities of the camera immensely. The camera gets really good reviews everywhere you look. I think I bought it for around $150 at Wal-Mart.

It looks like you can still buy the same camera a lot of places, so I guess it's not out of style yet, woop woop!

edit: I forgot to say the MAIN requirement I had for the P&S was fully manual controls. This was the best camera in my price range with all of the features I wanted. If you are looking for a semi-manual P&S I'm sure there are better options.

And, with the CHDK firmware you can take pictures in RAW.

Brozekiel fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 30, 2009

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

Brozekiel posted:

I took a Canon A720IS with me to Europe last Summer. That camera is the poo poo.

I wanted a P&S with fully manual controls, could fit in my pocket, and was a good price. The image quality is very nice too and the controls easy to use. Here are some photos I took from my trip to Europe. You can also use the CHDK firmware firmware with it which expand the capabilities of the camera immensely. The camera get's really good reviews everywhere you look. I think I bought it for around $150 at Wal-Mart.

It looks like you can still buy the same camera a lot of places, so I guess it's not out of style yet, woop woop!

edit: I forgot to say the MAIN requirement I had for the P&S was fully manual controls. This was the best camera in my price range with all of the features I wanted. If you are looking for a semi-manual P&S I'm sure there are better options.

And, with the CHDK firmware you can take pictures in RAW.

I have this camera and it is indeed pretty sweet. I tried using CHDK to shoot RAW, but the RAW files looked like poo poo. Dunno if I was doing something wrong, CHDK isn't documented all that well.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

SKULE123 posted:

Question re: color calibration. Are all color calibrators created relatively equal, or is there a big brand advantage I don't know about?

They all work the same.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

brad industry posted:

They all work the same.

While on this subject. When you guys calibrate, do you leave on the room lights that will normally be on when working? or turn them all off and let it calibrate in a dark room?

I know it's not supposed to let much light in, but I'm wondering if a significant amount can bleed through, and if yes, if it's desirable since you'll always have it present.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

poopinmymouth posted:

While on this subject. When you guys calibrate, do you leave on the room lights that will normally be on when working? or turn them all off and let it calibrate in a dark room?

I know it's not supposed to let much light in, but I'm wondering if a significant amount can bleed through, and if yes, if it's desirable since you'll always have it present.

With my huey pro it has a light sensor that takes room light into consideration, not sure how much it does but I have it to auto adjust all the time and I notice the brightness changes depending on the room light.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Remember sunlight/daylight will affect the ambient light so I always try to calibrate it under the conditions I will be working under.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Is it possible to merge Lightroom catalogues? I've processed a few sets recently on a different computer and I'd like to add them with changes to my main catalogue.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Ric posted:

Is it possible to merge Lightroom catalogues? I've processed a few sets recently on a different computer and I'd like to add them with changes to my main catalogue.

I think you can import photos from a catalog but not 100% sure.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Ric posted:

I usually just export images as DNG's and then import onto my desktop if I've done some editing work away from it.

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...

MSC posted:

I bought an SD 780 earlier this year and have been quite happy with it. While its short on manual controls, its got a couple stops of exposure compensation either direction, and will do highlight blinkies, and this is generally enough for me to get what i want (or can, rather) in post. It also has a mostly worthless but sometimes amazing 2 Megapixel ISO 3200 mode which I've managed to use effectively a couple of times.

In the end the image quality is decent, especially at low ISOs, it does 720p video and it fits in a shirt pocket, more or less what I was looking for.

And of course, it comes in black.

Edit: I actually bothered looking up the panasonic after writing this and I have one concern:

The range on the zoom on that Panasonic is silly, so I'd be cautious about the lens quality as a result. See if you can give it a try, check out the contrast/flare/etc. I might suggest the DMC-FX48 as an alternative, the zoom is a little less extreme and.

But more importantly I would encourage you to not stress too much about your choice and get shooting with whatever you buy sooner rather than later. It's been a real boon to have something I can unobtrusively slide into a pocket and it'll be obsolete within 18 months anyways, so whatever.

dunno fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 1, 2009

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ric posted:

LR handles this kind of thing so easily, you worry that there must be a catch that you missed

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Lightroom/2.0/WS9616DD60-0C3A-484b-8413-053347F21456.html

DeusVult
Mar 23, 2007
Not sure if this is the right place to put this. But I'm looking to get a Sony point and shoot as a gift. Anyone have any recommendations on which ones to look into. Right now I'm trying to decide between the new WX-1, TX-1, T-900, or W290.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Why a Sony?

DeusVult
Mar 23, 2007
She already has a sony, albeit a very old one and is familiar with the layout and stuff. Also, stuck with the sony memory card, I know sdhc's are cheap as all hell now but seems like a waste of the stick duo. I will listen to suggestions of other cameras though and if they're that much better than the sony I'll get that one.

edit: I'm now also quite partial to the Canon S90.

DeusVult fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 1, 2009

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

DeusVult posted:

She already has a sony, albeit a very old one and is familiar with the layout and stuff. Also, stuck with the sony memory card, I know sdhc's are cheap as all hell now but seems like a waste of the stick duo. I will listen to suggestions of other cameras though and if they're that much better than the sony I'll get that one.

I dunno, if she has an old one, the memory card is probably very small (and also has a fairly slow write speed)

I was actually pretty happy with the old sony P&S I used, but having an old memory card isn't a reason to not try something new (and possibly better)

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Dread Head posted:

Hot Cops posted:

Thanks guys. Spog, I followed those steps, it did it no problems.

poopinmymouth posted:

I got asked this at work today too. I've always done it in a an average daylight lit room. I've only seen a couple of people go to the trouble of doing anything different, though I visited one place that sets colour profiles for people, and they did it in a room with 18% grey walls and evenly lit with soft lighting.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Does that process preserve previous lightroom edits + original?

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Cyberbob posted:

Does that process preserve previous lightroom edits + original?
It carried across RAWs + sidecar edits, and the tiffs created from these with keywords, ratings etc., all grouped in stacks as they were in the source catalogue. None of the images I imported were duplicates so I don't know how it would treat those.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

I'm buying an SLR, for $30 to $50 with a nice lens on ebay (a Nikon or a Canon, for what it's worth, because I like/trust them.) I want to learn how to use it and what all the manual settings do to light. Not digital btw, 35mm film. And what does each kind of film matter for? Obviously I know there's color and b/w, but what else?
And what's the best place to get 35mm film processed these days? Especially would be nice if they'd put it on a CD for me.

In short, I really don't know the first thing about film (I don't think I've used film since about 2002) or even SLRs, digital or not, just that I like the photos that come out of them and want to be able to do that stuff myself.

I'll likely mostly be taking pictures of rocks, and cats. I'm a geologist.

edit: apologize in advance if this sort of question isn't welcome here. Should I go to the film thread?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Films differ in speed (sensitivity), white balance, color saturation and grain.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Marshmallow Mayhem posted:

I'm buying an SLR, for $30 to $50 with a nice lens on ebay (a Nikon or a Canon, for what it's worth, because I like/trust them.)

What are you shooting with right now? If you're shooting Canon, you can get a Canon EOS film SLR for cheap and it will work with your lenses. Likewise for other brands except maybe Olympus.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

HPL posted:

What are you shooting with right now? If you're shooting Canon, you can get a Canon EOS film SLR for cheap and it will work with your lenses. Likewise for other brands except maybe Olympus.

I have a Canon SX10is - no lenses. Total n00b. I am specifically looking at some Canon EOS Rebels on ebay.

gib
Jul 14, 2004
I am probably Lowtax
Film EOS cameras are so cheap that I recommend getting something one step up from a Rebel... maybe an EOS 5. It will be much more enjoyable to use than a Rebel.

You should ask about film in the film thread... you'll get a lot of good responses.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

On the Nikon side, the N90 is an incredible bargain right now. I like using old manual focus lenses as well as some newer autofocus ones, so lens compatibility is a big deal for me - the N90 is probably the best bet in that regard for under $50. Works with every lens since 1977.

Alternatively, the Nikon FM and FE are really nice and will work with even older lenses (going back to the 1950s). The FM is fully manual and the FE is aperture-priority.

FasterThanLight fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 4, 2009

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
I've been meaning to try out some long exposure stuff at night for ages now. The problem I have is how do you focus?

I might have missed something blindingly obvious but I find it difficult to focus my shots manually when it's so dark.

Any tips?

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Brawnwrong posted:

I might have missed something blindingly obvious but I find it difficult to focus my shots manually when it's so dark.

Any tips?
Either focus to infinity, or shine a torch on the subject while focusing so you can see what you're doing. Should you prefer, shining a torch would also give your camera something on which to autofocus.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Ric posted:

a torch
I believe he means flashlight :patriot:

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

spf3million posted:

I believe he means flashlight :patriot:

No. He means a torch. :britain:

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Brawnwrong posted:

I've been meaning to try out some long exposure stuff at night for ages now. The problem I have is how do you focus?

Any tips?

zone focusing :frog:

or just use a small aperture with an even longer exposure time to maximize your DOF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but there's a TV show about UrbEx and photography called "PhotoXplorers". You guys might get a kick out of it.

http://photoxplorers.com