Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."
HBK vs Undertaker was the best, with HBK vs Angle second. The Angle match might have been number 1 if HBK didn't spend 12 hours in the ankle lock before finally submitting

Never seen HBK/Jericho, I should track it down sometime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

HBK/Taker is first and then the match with Angle.

I would put the ladder match with Razor next for being such a historical match.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rusty Shackelford posted:

How many of those matches were the best of the show?

Almost all of them. Or if they weren't the best, they were really, really good and you could still have arguments about whether or not they were best.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Almost all of them. Or if they weren't the best, they were really, really good and you could still have arguments about whether or not they were best.

So it sounds like he may be Mr. WrestleMania, then.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rusty Shackelford posted:

So it sounds like he may be Mr. WrestleMania, then.

Right, he's not the best because he wins, he's the best because HE'LL TAKE YOU TO THE TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN, JOHN CENA.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

2 questions: First, when does a clothesline become a lariat, and second, was Shane Douglas ever really considered a good wrestler?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

2 questions: First, when does a clothesline become a lariat?

This is the sort of distinction that only a real wrestling basement grognard is usually going to make. The difference is, in a lariat, you bend your arm forward at the elbow when you hit. In a clothesline, you don't. "Lariat" also sounds cooler than "Clothesline." Those are literally the only two differences. It's a clothesline.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

2 questions: First, when does a clothesline become a lariat, and second, was Shane Douglas ever really considered a good wrestler?

LARIATOOOOO!

Can't answer your second, as that time in ECW was when I was totally into WWF 100%!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Back in the day, the difference was how you held your arm. A lariat, or a lasso is flexible, and loose. It bends. A clothesline, on the other hand, is straight, and if you run into it, it's tight.

It's interchangable, nowadays.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I just assume that America calls it a "clothesline", while Japan calls it a "LAAARIATOOO~~".

The same reason why America calls it a "Vertical Suplex", Japan calls it a "Brainbuster."

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

In his first WWF run and his WCW run where he teamed with Ricky Steamboat, a lot of people saw Shane as one of the young guys who would someday be on top. He definitely had a lot of potential and his matches with Steamboat definitely protected him. I don't know if he was "good" but he definitely had potential.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

2 questions: First, when does a clothesline become a lariat

Pretty much what everyone's been saying. A lariat is bendable and usually consists of the guy actually throwing his arm around his opponent as he does it. Clothesline is just running straight at a dude with a straight arm.

JBL's Clothesline From Hell is actually a lariat, and a drat good one at that.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

2 questions: First, when does a clothesline become a lariat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Iyul69NjbA

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

CM Junk posted:

JBL's Clothesline From Hell is actually a lariat, and a drat good one at that.

I was gonna mention the same thing with JBL - every time he does that lariat, it looks like a dude's head is gonna come off. loving love that move, if you look close you can see when someone does a "lariat", their forearm almost wraps around the opponent's neck (not so much the case with a regular clothesline).

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Something that also makes it a lariat is if you do a gay little flip thing in the ropes beforehand, Nigel.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Going back to HBK at WM, for me it is a tie between 25 and 19. 25 for obvious reasons, and I thought the feud and especially the prematch promo video at 19 was one of the best ever, competing with 2008's.... Jericho vs Michaels?!?! It is like the two feuds are connected somehow...

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

You have the WMXXIV match to thank for the HBK/Jericho feud last year :colbert:

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

projecthalaxy posted:

Going back to HBK at WM, for me it is a tie between 25 and 19. 25 for obvious reasons, and I thought the feud and especially the prematch promo video at 19 was one of the best ever, competing with 2008's.... Jericho vs Michaels?!?! It is like the two feuds are connected somehow...

Screw that, WM21's promo was the best build promo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHfnVt3hS2g

"...I won a gold medal...!

And people are talking to me about some guy named Shawn Michaels gliding down from the rafters and putting on a wrestling clinic that year..."

Matlock fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 5, 2009

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Matlock posted:

Screw that, WM21's promo was the best build promo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHfnVt3hS2g

Ahem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMqcA3wiKG0

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Respectfully disagree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9m2zNdxm44

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
This question comes in the form of a picture

Click here for the full 1246x349 image.

So?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

The A-Team Van posted:

This question comes in the form of a picture

Click here for the full 1246x349 image.

So?

Tripleh is the strongest one there is

Deranged Hermit
Nov 10, 2004

by Tiny Fistpump

Matlock posted:

Tripleh is the strongest one there is

Obviously Boby Lashley.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
But BATISTA has the biggest picture

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

The A-Team Van posted:

I think he may be trying to skew the voting....

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

The A-Team Van posted:

John Cena lifted up the World's Strongest Man and FUed him a while ago, ergo Cena became the World's Strongest Man while Henry can only claim to be the world's soggiest man now.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Serious question: So Lashley was just in really good shape, Batista is a bodybuilder, and Lé Trip is a cripple. Is Cena anywhere near as strong as Mark Henry?

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Pneub posted:

Is Cena anywhere near as strong as Mark Henry?

Cena's pretty strong, for a guy 150 pounds less than Mark Henry.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Cena's pretty strong, for a guy 150 pounds less than Mark Henry.

Oh with out a doubt. That's why I don't have any problem at all with the FU. The fucker overshoots Hogan's inflating Silverdome number with an overhead throw on at least a yearly basis.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

was Shane Douglas ever really considered a good wrestler?

In his eyes he is the best there was, the best there is, and the best there ever will be. Right now he is just considered an okay Target manager.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 5, 2009

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Shawn Michaels is Mr. Wrestlemania because so many of those matches are rewatchable epic classics, while many Undertaker WM matches were Undertaker vs Big Jobber.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

AsInHowe posted:

Shawn Michaels is Mr. Wrestlemania because so many of those matches are rewatchable epic classics, while many Undertaker WM matches were Undertaker vs Big Jobber.

Oh would you stop. Quit trying to manipulate the the numbers in HBK's favor. He has a Wrestlemania losing record 15 years wide.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Both Michaels and Taker have a wealth of great WM matches to their names. In Taker's case, most have been in the latter years of his career:

X-8: Awesome
XIX: OK whatever, he was supposed to tag with Nathan Jones
XX: He came back as the Deadman with Paul Bearer. You can't hate that.
21: Awesome
22: Carried Mark Henry to a good casket match
23: Awesome
XXIV: loving awesome
25: Holy loving poo poo

He had some bad ones, sure, but who cares?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

It's like they had wigs for everybody and JBL threatened to rape the costume department if they even tried to get one on him. And I assume Benoit just looked at them like this:

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Pneub posted:

Is Cena anywhere near as strong as Mark Henry?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcwR7eA-VOY

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I've seen a couple pictures now of Umaga hanging out with Edge and Shane Helms and Matt Hardy. I guess Edge and Matt are okay with each other now?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I was watching tapes of ECW around the time Shane Douglas made waves and IMO he was NOT a "good wrestler". I viewed him much as I would a guy like ... maybe how HHH circa-2009 would look to a new WWE viewer. There were stories (mostly ECW promos) about him being one of the greats, but for all I could see he was slower in the ring and worse on the mic (NWA belt promo arguably excepted) than the other guys in the company.

He might have been hot poo poo earlier than that, but AFAIK who the gently caress was watching him?

TL posted:

I've seen a couple pictures now of Umaga hanging out with Edge and Shane Helms and Matt Hardy. I guess Edge and Matt are okay with each other now?

Pretty sure they buried the hatchet once Edge threw Lita to the curb.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

petewhitley posted:

I was watching tapes of ECW around the time Shane Douglas made waves and IMO he was NOT a "good wrestler". I viewed him much as I would a guy like ... maybe how HHH circa-2009 would look to a new WWE viewer. There were stories (mostly ECW promos) about him being one of the greats, but for all I could see he was slower in the ring and worse on the mic (NWA belt promo arguably excepted) than the other guys in the company.

He might have been hot poo poo earlier than that, but AFAIK who the gently caress was watching him?

10 PRINT "MY rear end!"
20 PRINT "gently caress DICK FLAIR"
30 IF MATCH THEN BELLY-TO-BELLY_SUPLEX
40 GOTO 10

Pretty much all he did, with ok promos, but at the time and with Paul E. it was something different.

quote:

Pretty sure they buried the hatchet once Edge threw Lita to the curb.

I wouldn't say that, but Edge is a bigger star, his coworker, and has the same group of friends, so what the gently caress is Matt really gonna do? He already got fired once.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

WeaselWeaz posted:

I wouldn't say that, but Edge is a bigger star, his coworker, and has the same group of friends, so what the gently caress is Matt really gonna do? He already got fired once.

Not only that, but unless you're a big gay baby, you get over stuff like that. They don't have to be friends, but they can work together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Free Market Gravy posted:

but unless you're a big gay baby
Matt Hardy.