Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
So I'm looking at a new Dell machine for artwork, and I'm having a hard time remembering if certain applications benefit from certain upgrades. I will primarily be using this computer for Photoshop, 3DS Max, and ZBrush, you know, your typical 2D and 3D graphical editing software. Do any of these programs benefit from say, a video card with more VRAM (namely a GTS240 1024MB vs. GTX260 1792MB)? I'm going with an Core i5 and 6-8 gigs of RAM so far, but the video card is the one piece that I'm hung up on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006
Good luck on the intership, and yeah I'd ask about what kind of payment or help they'll be giving.

drat slow in the States right now, with most work on London and Vancouver right now, so slow I'm looking at a 2 month gig in South Africa :aaaaa:

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
drat, that would be quiet the move.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
I've known a bunch of people who did unpaid internships in NYC. They either got their parents to pay their living expenses(by far the most common situation), had a second job and lived in a craphole with 10 other people or something even a little bit worse than option #2. These weren't jobs in CG, though, just stuff like photo assists, PAs, graphic design and other "creative" positions.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Another character I have to work on for finals. (If you guys think i'm putting up too much WIP's just let me know)

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

Ratmann posted:

Good luck on the intership, and yeah I'd ask about what kind of payment or help they'll be giving.

drat slow in the States right now, with most work on London and Vancouver right now, so slow I'm looking at a 2 month gig in South Africa :aaaaa:

Oh cool, I think I know the place you're looking at, they have a good rep. I'd give it a go- esp if it's only for 2 months. London is busy as fuuuuuck, dneg wants another 2-300 people asap.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
drat, I hope somewhere other than london is busy in a couple of years when I want to move. Want an easy job in LA or NY, cant stand london. haha.

We've been getting quite busy recently - I've been snowed under the past week doing 12 hour days. On that job I'd already been telling people in our office how blatantly stressed and close to a nervous breakdown the original bid manager sounded on wednesday. I ended up leaving on thursday at 11pm, came in the next morning to rambling insane emails from him up to 6am.
He's not been in since, someone else is running the job now.

loooool

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 5, 2009

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That's hilarious

I had a situation where we had 24 hours to finish a pitch for a TV show to be taken to MIPCOM in cannes. The creator/director was supposed to take me through a whole bunch of scenes that he wanted setup for print. I show up in the morning and he had been up all night drinking and taking ecstasy and I literally couldn't understand what he was saying. He had also convinced someone else to come in and help, but they had agreed to it while he was drunk and couldn't remember why he was there. Best 14 hour day of work ever.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

EoinCannon posted:

That's hilarious

I had a situation where we had 24 hours to finish a pitch for a TV show to be taken to MIPCOM in cannes. The creator/director was supposed to take me through a whole bunch of scenes that he wanted setup for print. I show up in the morning and he had been up all night drinking and taking ecstasy and I literally couldn't understand what he was saying. He had also convinced someone else to come in and help, but they had agreed to it while he was drunk and couldn't remember why he was there. Best 14 hour day of work ever.

"Eoin...y-you have beautiful skin you know that? It's like watching a nebula"

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Hahaha I used to get management smoking bongs in the carpark. I come back in from being on-site doing some stuff and they would yell "GOOD WORK SON, get some of this into ya!". Thankfully they didn't expect me to be all that competent for the rest of the day, answering phones was particularly tricky let alone doing anything with 3d.

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006

Heintje posted:

Hahaha I used to get management smoking bongs in the carpark. I come back in from being on-site doing some stuff and they would yell "GOOD WORK SON, get some of this into ya!". Thankfully they didn't expect me to be all that competent for the rest of the day, answering phones was particularly tricky let alone doing anything with 3d.

A lot of good work is done drunk,that's always fun.

Also Heintje, yeah I hear DNeg is going to be the biggest VFX Studio later next near, about 16 projects.

And I'll know on Monday if I'm gonna be on a plane for 28+ hours :aaaaa:

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Haha.

We had an alcoholic architect who worked for a pretty big place at the last office I worked doing civil engineering. He'd show up to meetings at 10am stinking of whisky and almost always start an argument when someone tried to change his ideas.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

Ratmann posted:

And I'll know on Monday if I'm gonna be on a plane for 28+ hours :aaaaa:

Get on the biltong and they'll luv ya! Just don't go outside by yourself unless you want to get raped.

John Blaster
Aug 2, 2006

I can't fall asleep without thinking about killing people.
I normally don't post my WIPs, but I wonder if anyone would like to offer suggestions/crits.

Click here for the full 1280x720 image.

The DoF, light fog and dust particles are all faked in photoshop for now. I just wanted to see what it would look like. Camera angle etc., it just a test. Still deciding on all that.

The room will have LOTS more geometry in it, a ceiling fan, crumpled papers, old cans, a tarp, ripped up blanket, maybe a little more vegetation. Floorboards will have bump, and there will be more of them to show that the head has pushed it's way up through the ground. Ummm, lets see... Oh yeah and a little moth will probably flutter by at some point.

As for info, this is maya and mental ray. Roughly 10 min render time for HD720. More like 5 or 6 minutes for 720x480 which is what I'll have to render it at for my reel.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.

John Blaster posted:

I normally don't post my WIPs, but I wonder if anyone would like to offer suggestions/crits.

Click here for the full 1280x720 image.

The DoF, light fog and dust particles are all faked in photoshop for now. I just wanted to see what it would look like. Camera angle etc., it just a test. Still deciding on all that.

The room will have LOTS more geometry in it, a ceiling fan, crumpled papers, old cans, a tarp, ripped up blanket, maybe a little more vegetation. Floorboards will have bump, and there will be more of them to show that the head has pushed it's way up through the ground. Ummm, lets see... Oh yeah and a little moth will probably flutter by at some point.

As for info, this is maya and mental ray. Roughly 10 min render time for HD720. More like 5 or 6 minutes for 720x480 which is what I'll have to render it at for my reel.

The scale really throws me off here. The chair looks a doll-sized chair especially with the trim next to it, and the head looks like a statue sized head, or maybe just normal head size, I can't really tell. The lighting and textures look great though.

John Blaster
Aug 2, 2006

I can't fall asleep without thinking about killing people.
Eh yeah, that's partly the fault of the stupid DoF. Next time I won't mess around with that. I'll shorten up the trim on the walls too.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Something really profound

Hazed_blue posted:

So I'm looking at a new Dell machine for artwork, and I'm having a hard time remembering if certain applications benefit from certain upgrades. I will primarily be using this computer for Photoshop, 3DS Max, and ZBrush, you know, your typical 2D and 3D graphical editing software. Do any of these programs benefit from say, a video card with more VRAM (namely a GTS240 1024MB vs. GTX260 1792MB)? I'm going with an Core i5 and 6-8 gigs of RAM so far, but the video card is the one piece that I'm hung up on.

It's unlikely you'll get the benefit from the extra video ram on those cards, since that's primarily used for storing larger textures in games. In fact, those are both gaming cards and I notice you don't mention games. 3DS, ZBrush and other professional graphics apps are not geared to these consumer gaming cards and you may encounter (minor) driver related problems. In general they work, and many people use that combination out of necessity but it's not ideal. If this is designed to be a proper workstation from the ground up you'll want to be looking at a workstation line, for example nVidia's Quadro FX range.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.

John Blaster posted:

Eh yeah, that's partly the fault of the stupid DoF. Next time I won't mess around with that. I'll shorten up the trim on the walls too.

I always associate DOF to a really zoomed in scene, otherwise it looks like macro photography. If you want to do big DOF effects (which look great) maybe you could play around with backing the camera away and then zooming in?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Azzip posted:

If this is designed to be a proper workstation from the ground up you'll want to be looking at a workstation line, for example nVidia's Quadro FX range.

Every viz place I know of uses gaming cards now (3, including us), and for the price they are far superior to any quadro.
VRAM depends how often you use smooth & highlights, having a gig+ available does make a difference when texturing large scenes.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Also for the love of god do not get ATI cards. I've always been an Nvidia user, but my most recent video card (Radeon 4870) has given me nothing but issues when it comes to performance/driver issues. Some things will run great (games) but Maya and Photoshop seem to loving hate it.

I can't provide any input on their latest series but ugh.

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos

ceebee posted:

Also for the love of god do not get ATI cards. I've always been an Nvidia user, but my most recent video card (Radeon 4870) has given me nothing but issues when it comes to performance/driver issues. Some things will run great (games) but Maya and Photoshop seem to loving hate it.

Never run into any Photoshop glitches, but yeah, I had major issues with my Radeon cards. I still get a couple of minor glitches with Geforce, but they're easier to deal with.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
Oh definitely, I'll go with Nvidia. I had so many problems with the Radeons I've used at home and at work, and that OmegaDrivers website was a godsend until I could switch back to Nvidia.

I'll have to check out that Quadro FX line. The only reason that I listed out those other graphics cards is because those are my choices when building an XPS. I need to do this on a budget, but maybe I'll just have them put in the crappiest card possible, and then take the savings and put it towards a more appropriate card.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

cubicle gangster posted:

Every viz place I know of uses gaming cards now (3, including us), and for the price they are far superior to any quadro.
VRAM depends how often you use smooth & highlights, having a gig+ available does make a difference when texturing large scenes.

AND THE QUADRO FAN NOISE OOH GOD THE NOISE MAKE IT STOP PLEASE KILL ME

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006

Handiklap posted:

AND THE QUADRO FAN NOISE OOH GOD THE NOISE MAKE IT STOP PLEASE KILL ME

I prefer the Bell rental boxes when they start going or you reboot, sounds like a plane taking off.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Quadro line is overpriced as gently caress. Just go with a gaming card and you'll be good. If I were you I would invest more money into a super good processor and RAM to help with rendering.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
ATI can eat a bag of dicks with their driver support.

I can't go into specific reasons why... but...

:smug:

Anyone want free fireGL cards? I got a box of 5 hardly used ones. Not sure if they are PCI or PCI Express, they were mid range cards. They were working pulls. They may be poo poo by todays standards.. I'll have to dig them out and go see..

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

ceebee posted:

Quadro line is overpriced as gently caress. Just go with a gaming card and you'll be good. If I were you I would invest more money into a super good processor and RAM to help with rendering.

Yes. Also, zbrush uses only cpu and ram whereas mudbox pretty much requires a nvidia card.

First time I used a ATI Radeon card with Maya I couldn't see the verts.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 8, 2009

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My Quadro is currently causing major issues in Photoshop, Maya, After Effects, and loving anything else. My god I'm fairly sure it's making GBS threads the bed, but it's killing me.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Hands & fingers are absolutely killing me in zbrush and end up looking like tentacles/hand horns everytime. Anyone have a good hand/finger method?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

BonoMan posted:

My Quadro is currently causing major issues in Photoshop, Maya, After Effects, and loving anything else. My god I'm fairly sure it's making GBS threads the bed, but it's killing me.

Have you tried running certified drivers? You may have to roll back to an older version to get proper support.

I remembered at one job where there was windows machines and we had to use a specific version of an OS and a specific video card driver version in order to have proper support for a package.

Actually same deal in Linux as well.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

change my name posted:

Hands & fingers are absolutely killing me in zbrush and end up looking like tentacles/hand horns everytime. Anyone have a good hand/finger method?

Smoothing a cylinder shape like a finger will result in the end becoming pointed like a tentacle. Use the inflate brush or maybe use masks and the inflate deformer to get them into more of a sausage shape. You can then use clay, flatten, move whatever to shape them.

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

cubicle gangster posted:

By unpaid they usually will put you up in housing with food money, it just wont be a wage you can save any money from.

Just wanted to pop in here and say this is definitely not the norm out in LA, and from what I've heard not in NY either. Most unpaid internships are exactly that, unpaid. You're lucky if you get mileage for doing runs. It's completely against the law, but what's an intern gonna do, not try and get some experience? Sue the company?

Sorry John.

I know R&H does the apprenticeships, where they actually pay people money (good loving money!!!) to go into corporate housing and learn the R&H system, and that's basically their form of an internship. I would have killed for that.

Pretty much every person I know who is or was an intern, wasn't paid.

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006

PowerLlama posted:

I know R&H does the apprenticeships, where they actually pay people money (good loving money!!!) to go into corporate housing and learn the R&H system, and that's basically their form of an internship. I would have killed for that.

Pretty much every person I know who is or was an intern, wasn't paid.

That's why I started as a data op/render wrangler at a smaller studio :smugdog:

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've done some texture work on the tortoise and made a bit of a simple rig. Most of the maps still need work (damned colourblindness), the claws especially. This is a test pose with a cactus fruit added in for fun.

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 9, 2009

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BigKOfJustice posted:

Have you tried running certified drivers? You may have to roll back to an older version to get proper support.

I remembered at one job where there was windows machines and we had to use a specific version of an OS and a specific video card driver version in order to have proper support for a package.

Actually same deal in Linux as well.

Yeah I've tried roughly 5,000 different drivers. Certified, uncertified, everything autodesk has said, everything my mama said. I'm fairly sure the card is just dying.

a computer
Feb 22, 2008

ceebee posted:

Some things will run great (games) but Maya and Photoshop seem to loving hate it.

I have Photoshop problems and a 4870. I didn't even think it might be my video card.

Is your brush response really laggy, and does it go all flickery and spazzy if your brush is too big? If you're having these problems a kind of temporary fix is to go full-screen mode (press F a few times).

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

EoinCannon posted:

I've done some texture work on the tortoise and made a bit of a simple rig. Most of the maps still need work (damned colourblindness), the claws especially. This is a test pose with a cactus fruit added in for fun.

To me the texture looks too crisp. There aren't any smooth feeling surfaces. I'm not sure if it's just the sharpening filter on the image or not. The dark crevices feel a little too dark in the legs. I feel like the all of the dark details detract from the overall 3d feel of the entire model, it seems to flatten it a bit. I think the shell should look more smooth on a tortoise than it is. I think you could keep a lot of the detail work you have and still make it smooth by just making what you've done more subtle.

I also think it would look really nice if you added a slight DOF to the image, just to soften up a few of the details. I think the work you put into the details will show through even if it isn't so crisp and sharp. If only one place were sharp in the details I think you would get a more impactful image. Plus the sharpening filter makes the eye highlight looking some bright shiny gunk sitting on top of the eye.

Although it still looks drat cool :)

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
All good points
The high sampling rate and the antialising filter give the sharp look.
Testing some DOF renders and it does look better.

Thanks dude

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
Playing around in the UDK for the first time on a model I'm drat close to finishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

ceebee posted:

Recent Ars article that says exactly this:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/12/a-second-look-at-the-nvidia-quadro-fx-4800-mac-edition.ars