Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah, that. Not saying Hardy should hate Edge, but Edge did get the push of his life from an angle based off of a real-life indiscretion between the two, which also ended up with Hardy getting fired. Knowing Hardy, you'd think he'd be keeping a firing range on his property where he just shoots at cardboard cutouts of Edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Edge probably knows a guy that sells really good drugs.

Not Jeff, another guy.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

CM Junk posted:

Yeah, that. Not saying Hardy should hate Edge, but Edge did get the push of his life from an angle based off of a real-life indiscretion between the two, which also ended up with Hardy getting fired. Knowing Hardy, you'd think he'd be keeping a firing range on his property where he just shoots at cardboard cutouts of Edge.

Edge got the push of his life because he is one of the best wrestelers and promos in the business today and hs more charisma than Matt will ever have. Even Matt has to recognize that. If this ready-made angle hadn't dropped in the writers' laps it just would have taken longer for something to get booked.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Oh no, I agree 100%. I'm just saying that Matt is such a petty self-mark that I'm amazed he didn't take the angle more personally.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

WeaselWeaz posted:

Edge got the push of his life because he is one of the best wrestelers and promos in the business today and hs more charisma than Matt will ever have. Even Matt has to recognize that. If this ready-made angle hadn't dropped in the writers' laps it just would have taken longer for something to get booked.

If it was anyone else with the same kind of talent, I'd agree. But this was Edge. The guy who at the time was the definition of 'failed push' (definition has since been filled by Mr. Kennedy). They'd been pushing him since 2002 and gotten nowhere. The Lita angle probably saved Edge's career.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

WeaselWeaz posted:

I'm not say any of this is untrue, but regardless, Matt is over as hell, and I can't make sense of how he's not had a serious crack at one of the big titles when Jeff, who I've always thought of as the inferior brother, has.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm not say any of this is untrue, but regardless, Matt is over as hell, and I can't make sense of how he's not had a serious crack at one of the big titles when Jeff, who I've always thought of as the inferior brother, has.

Its probably because you are the only person on planet Earth that thinks Jeff is the inferior brother.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Atticus Finch posted:

Matt Hardy.

:lol: Point taken.

Still, I'd imagine someone, anyone, sat Matt down and pointed out that working one angle with Edge and maybe having to see him at bars/clubs after shows isn't so torturous as to jeopardize his job.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

FishBulb posted:

Its probably because you are the only person on planet Earth that thinks Jeff is the inferior brother.

I'm sorry, I forgot how the only measure of wrestling ability is jumping off things.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm sorry, I forgot how the only measure of wrestling ability is jumping off things.

I don't even like either of the Hardyz, but even I can't deny that Jeff has a better connection with the fans (which is undefinable and yet invaluable), a better look and a style more likely to catch eyes.

Matt's not terrible, but to say that Jeff isn't the superior of the two ("superior" defined as the WWE and any other business define it) is stupid.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Samoa Joe on twitter referred to Umaga as 'big Uso'. John Morrison called him 'big Uce'. What's the story behind this?

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

A bunch of WWE guys referred to him as Uce in remembrance in their Twitters yesterday. I guess it was his nickname, but I don't know the origin.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Free Market Gravy posted:

I don't even like either of the Hardyz, but even I can't deny that Jeff has a better connection with the fans (which is undefinable and yet invaluable), a better look and a style more likely to catch eyes.

Matt's not terrible, but to say that Jeff isn't the superior of the two ("superior" defined as the WWE and any other business define it) is stupid.

But the fans are hypocrites and sycophants.

Anyway, I thought that Jeff looked like an idiot meth-head in stupid facepaint. And I don't think it was a coincidence. And his style seems to me to mostly be the swanton and jumping into the area around an opponent which seems to cause them to fall down, really limited and often looks lousy to me. I know it's not saying much but Matt's a better talker, you can actually get a good segment out of him sometimes like with MVP. He's much more reliable and has one of the more varied movesets on the roster.

And Jeff's gimmick bothered me because he tried to put himself across as artistic and creative when he's in much the same gettup and doing the same matches that he was ten years ago. Matt actually changed and developed, a bit at least, Jeff stayed pretty much the same.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Meat Recital posted:

Samoa Joe on twitter referred to Umaga as 'big Uso'. John Morrison called him 'big Uce'. What's the story behind this?

Uso is like Brother. He was like a brother to all of them. The Uce ones are just spelling it how it sounds I guess.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

BizarroAzrael posted:

Matt Hardy: Worthless wrestler, bad promo, (probably) a druggie.
Jeff Hardy: Worthless wrestler, bad promo, a druggie, jumps off high stuff.

We have a winner.

Exasperated Badger
Jun 9, 2009

"Come," he says. "Let me tell you a story. Once, there were four stalwart heroes..."
Regarding Mike Knox and Wrestlehut:

When you goons go 'lol bear' at him, are you referring to the grizzly/ polar sort? Or the big hairy gay man sort?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Exasperated Badger posted:

Regarding Mike Knox and Wrestlehut:

When you goons go 'lol bear' at him, are you referring to the grizzly/ polar sort? Or the big hairy gay man sort?

Thats why its funny.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

:byobear:

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
With Geocities biting it, the list of Meltzer's top star ratings for WWF/WCW/etc. matches are gone. Does anyone have a copy of that, or a link to another source?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Goldberg's jackhammer finisher must be one of the most protected finishers of the last 10 years. All of the biggest finishers always had someone kick out, but I can't remember anyone kicking out of the Jackhammer. Ever.

Note: This does not apply to TNA, as no-one watches TNA.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
I think 3d is more protected

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Sable Bomb?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Yes, both very good examples and ones I overlooked. My mistake.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Sionistic posted:

I think 3d is more protected

sylvain grenier

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Goldberg's jackhammer finisher must be one of the most protected finishers of the last 10 years. All of the biggest finishers always had someone kick out, but I can't remember anyone kicking out of the Jackhammer. Ever.

It got kicked out of a few times when Malenko used it, but that was before Goldberg.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

tzirean posted:

It got kicked out of a few times when Malenko used it, but that was before Goldberg.

Yeah, I knew Malenko used it before. It was just Goldberg's version that ended every match. It's the same way Billy Gunn busted out the jackhammer a few times, but I don't think he ever established it as a real finisher like Goldberg did.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
According to WWE Kids Magazine, Randy Orton is the year's "Biggest Buttbrain!"

Agree or disagree? Me, I feel that it was Mark Henry rapping or guest host Verne Troyer. What a buttbrain!

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.

CM Junk posted:

Can you elaborate on this? Apparently I was on wrestling hiatus when this happened.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Shitty_Wok posted:

Can you elaborate on this? Apparently I was on wrestling hiatus when this happened.

lita cheated on matt with edge, matt got pissy and blogged about it, got fired. then they rehired hardy due to vocal fan response and made an angle about it.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.

dusty udder smoker posted:

lita cheated on matt with edge, matt got pissy and blogged about it, got fired. then they made an angle about it.

Oh. Ohhhhhh. Yikes. Alright, thank you.

It's always a woman...

Edit: Also, that was kind of a pussy move on Matt's part, blogging about that. Who does that? Handle it privately.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Shitty_Wok posted:

Edit: Also, that was kind of a pussy move on Matt's part, blogging about that. Who does that? Handle it privately.

Oh you haven't seen anything yet:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x334uj_matt-hardy-reenacts-his-breakup-wit_shortfilms

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

FishBulb posted:

Amazing how things change in 7 years: Matt Hardy was massively over during "Version 1.0" gimmick, while Jeff was a living botch. Flash forward a few years later, and sentiment completely flipped.

And I feel strongly Edge's 2002 face run gets crapped on too much-he was hugely over as a face on SmackDown in 2002, and I strongly believe if it wasn't for his neck injury he'd have won the WWE Title at some point in 2003.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

Oh you haven't seen anything yet:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x334uj_matt-hardy-reenacts-his-breakup-wit_shortfilms

Jesus. loving. Christ.

I mean wow. Did WWE give a standard "future endeavors" like they did for everyone else who got released or was there more detail as to why he got booted?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Shitty_Wok posted:

Jesus. loving. Christ.

I mean wow. Did WWE give a standard "future endeavors" like they did for everyone else who got released or was there more detail as to why he got booted?

standard release message, with the "official" reason being budget cuts.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
This was during the Lita/Kane/Snitsky storyline, then Lita started getting chants and boos at her. "You screwed Matt" and whatnot. She eventually turned on Kane and got with Edge just after WM21. They had a wedding, and they teased Hardy coming out when they did the "Does anyone have any objections to this?" It was a loving gigantic pop. Then the ring gave birth to Kane.

Later, Hardy did a few run-ins out of the crowd, and the cameras looked away and the announcers didn't really talk about it. Hardy got to yell out "RING OF HONOR! RING OF HONOR!" a few times, and a few weeks later, McMahon came out, said he rehired him, and Matt Hardy gave a horrible horrible promo.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

Capsaicin posted:

This was during the Lita/Kane/Snitsky storyline, then Lita started getting chants and boos at her. "You screwed Matt" and whatnot. She eventually turned on Kane and got with Edge just after WM21. They had a wedding, and they teased Hardy coming out when they did the "Does anyone have any objections to this?" It was a loving gigantic pop. Then the ring gave birth to Kane.

Later, Hardy did a few run-ins out of the crowd, and the cameras looked away and the announcers didn't really talk about it. Hardy got to yell out "RING OF HONOR! RING OF HONOR!" a few times, and a few weeks later, McMahon came out, said he rehired him, and Matt Hardy gave a horrible horrible promo.

God I love/hate wrestling...

Thanks for answering my questions. I was really into wrestling until about 2001, me and my grandmother used to watch it all the time but after she passed I sorta lost interest, and didn't get back into it until this years Rumble, meaning I'm about 8 years behind on what's happened.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Dancing Peasant posted:

I just assume that America calls it a "clothesline", while Japan calls it a "LAAARIATOOO~~".

The same reason why America calls it a "Vertical Suplex", Japan calls it a "BRAINobustAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH COUNT O TOOOOOOOOOO!."

Oh, how I love Japanese commentary.

On the Matt vs Jeff debate, keep in mind that during their time off from the WWE, jeff went to TNA, and was booed out of ROH. Matt left ROH, with, I believe a "please don't go" chant.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 6, 2009

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Wazzu posted:

Oh, how I love Japanese commentary.

On the Matt vs Jeff debate, keep in mind that during their time off from the WWE, jeff went to TNA, and was booed out of ROH. Matt left ROH, with, I believe a "please don't go" chant.

actually it was to a "you sold out" chant and he had a lot of detractors after he appeared on WWE after the initial run in

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

oldpainless posted:

Goldberg has never wrestled for TNA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

Goldberg has never wrestled for TNA.

What I meant was I dont watch TNA so there might be guys who have protected finishers, but I wouldn't be aware of them.