Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
Ive had an HTC Touch Pro for about a year now and I really like, but Best Buy has a deal up for a Palm Pre for $80. Is the Palm Pre any good, and is it worth upgrading to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonefish
Jul 29, 2008
drat, thanks guys. That looks like the winner.

Belligerent Monk
Jul 29, 2006
I need some advice, I have a lovely Motorola Razr which I got along with a renewed t-mobile contract about 6 months ago.

So, I have a year and half left on this contract and I want a smartphone. I'm not willing to wait until the contract is up.

I don't know all that much about what's out there. as far as I can tell, the iphone and blackberry are the best (?)

One thing I like about this razr is that its a flip phone and I never dial numbers or push random buttons accidentally. Is the blackberry flip phone any good?

I do a lot of texting so a qwerty keypad is important to me. Thanks for any help

edit: I am willing spend several hundred dollars but I'm also looking for good bang for the buck. I will definitely be paying for internet service on the phone

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Bonefish posted:

drat, thanks guys. That looks like the winner.

I just got the Moment, and I'm really digging an 800MHz phone. My 2 cents. The Hero is perfectly acceptable if you like an on-screen keyboard.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
* Country/Provider: US / t-mobile

* Current contract status: a year or so left

* Budget (phone/plan): $100-200

* Features I know I want: I need a new phone for my personal cell plan and I'd like to get a smartphone for some games and apps to tinker around with, but I'm not going to pay extra for a data plan because I have a work blackberry that I use for messaging and internet access. I'm toying with the idea of getting a used iphone but if someone has some better recommendations for a smartphone to run on t-mobile and won't be used with a data plan, please let me know. I don't have a problem buying used or refurb.

Downs Patrol
Dec 16, 2004

my reputation is built upon a solid foundation of bananas

Godzilla07 posted:

Verizon does offer a 15% mil discount and that also extends to devices and accessories. I would go with the Droid on Verizon. THe Droid is the best phone on the market currently. The Imagio is WM and is therefore crap. The Moment is alright, but the Droid is a better phone. The 3GS is also great but AT&T really isn't. Plus you said that you'd prefer a slideout QWERTY and the Droid has that in a package that's about as thin as the iPhone.

I havent really had a chance to play with the gui on the droid. But ive felt one, and it feels kinda like a older type slider phone.

I was also looking at the refurb 16gb 3gs, but ive heard horror storries about at&T giving contracts to people with little credit.

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns
Can someone recommend me a prepaid 'burner' phone? I have a Nokia RH-112 which is unlocked and will accept a sim card. Will that be a better idea than getting a whole new phone? Basically I just need the phone for people to call me, and for me to make one or two calls a week at the most. My location is new york city. My only objective is cheap cheap cheap. I'd prefer a plan where I just pay like 25 bucks up front and have that time run out as I make calls over a period of months/weeks. I know with a lot of prepaid plans, the minutes expires after 30 days, even if you don't use them. I want to avoid those kinds of plans.

powerse555
May 15, 2008

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Ive had an HTC Touch Pro for about a year now and I really like, but Best Buy has a deal up for a Palm Pre for $80. Is the Palm Pre any good, and is it worth upgrading to?

the pre is really nice, but you need to customize the hell out of it for it to be any good. also hope you dont like videos, because pre cant take any(out of the box)

powerse555
May 15, 2008

Belligerent Monk posted:

I need some advice, I have a lovely Motorola Razr which I got along with a renewed t-mobile contract about 6 months ago.

So, I have a year and half left on this contract and I want a smartphone. I'm not willing to wait until the contract is up.

I don't know all that much about what's out there. as far as I can tell, the iphone and blackberry are the best (?)

One thing I like about this razr is that its a flip phone and I never dial numbers or push random buttons accidentally. Is the blackberry flip phone any good?

I do a lot of texting so a qwerty keypad is important to me. Thanks for any help

edit: I am willing spend several hundred dollars but I'm also looking for good bang for the buck. I will definitely be paying for internet service on the phone

the pearl flip uses suretype, or whatever blackberry calls it, the predictive text. overall its a very nice phone, i like it.

Coda A27
Nov 9, 2003

Section
Dispa
Country/Provider: T-MOBILE, USA, Long Island, New York
Current contract status: FREE
Budget (phone/plan):
-Phone: $2-250.
-Budget: I'm currently (over)paying for a Regional Plan at $72/mo after taxes. 3000 minutes (the best month out of the past six I hit 1300) and 1000 text (I can go up to 800 in a good month). So, anything cheaper than this.
Features I know I want:
-Phone: QWERTY keyboard. Gmail access. Web browsing for weather, directions, google queries. OPTIONAL: Camera, Facebook integration, WiFi, WLAN (WAN point)
-Budget: Juggling minutes, texts, and possible data plan.

1. I don't know how useful WiFi would prove to be, is it a real minute-saver?
2. The WLAN option is for having always-on access for my netbook-to-be (partly pipe dream, I don't think I'd use it very often, and from what I can tell with GSMARENA.com phone finder any WLAN option is really pricey anyway).

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Coda A27 posted:

Country/Provider: T-MOBILE, USA, Long Island, New York
Current contract status: FREE
Budget (phone/plan):
-Phone: $2-250.
-Budget: I'm currently (over)paying for a Regional Plan at $72/mo after taxes. 3000 minutes (the best month out of the past six I hit 1300) and 1000 text (I can go up to 800 in a good month). So, anything cheaper than this.
Features I know I want:
-Phone: QWERTY keyboard. Gmail access. Web browsing for weather, directions, google queries. OPTIONAL: Camera, Facebook integration, WiFi, WLAN (WAN point)
-Budget: Juggling minutes, texts, and possible data plan.

1. I don't know how useful WiFi would prove to be, is it a real minute-saver?
2. The WLAN option is for having always-on access for my netbook-to-be (partly pipe dream, I don't think I'd use it very often, and from what I can tell with GSMARENA.com phone finder any WLAN option is really pricey anyway).

Plan: Sprint EPRP (see Sprint thread) $59/month, unlimited text and data, free Sprint Nav, 500 minutes, unlimited mobile to mobile regardless of carrier. The only time you use minutes is calls to landline phones between 7am and 7pm.

Phone: Samsung Moment. Does/has everything you listed and a lot more.

rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR
code:
[Country/Provider] : 	    Canada / Rogers (GSM)
[Current Contract Status] : Month-to-month
[Budget] :                  600$ (no contract, want to buy the phone straight up)
[Features] :
I really like the old-school Sony Ericsson phones, the k750 was my favourite, but I got it wet and couldn't find a replacement. Right now I've been using a Sony Ericsson k850, but I've been pretty disappointed with the software, it's very laggy and buggy, also the earphone has been coming and going to the point where I have to use speakerphone all the time.

For a replacement I would also be trying to find an unlocked SE phone. Hopefully the newer ones have their act together.

Must-haves are :
- quad-band
- a decent camera with flash
- bluetooth
- a responsive UI (no lag)
- external speaker
- pretty durable, not a flip phone
- avoiding touch screens if I can
- good texting stuff (I text a lot)

Things that I'd like :
- a good calendar for adding appointments and syncing with Outlook
- in candy-bar form (not a flip phone)
- customizable ui (assigning shortcut keys, like they do in the SE phones)
- not huge

It would be nice :
- wifi
- gps
- usb connection to PC

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
  • Country/Provider: USA Verizon

• Current contract status: Active on family plan

• Budget (phone/plan): Something simple

• Features I know I want: See below

I currently have a Blackberry Curve 8330 and want to get away from all the smart phone jazz. All I want is the ability to make and recieve calls/texts and be able to take and send pics/video. Doesnt need mobile web or anything else on it. I would like to stay away from a flip phone and I dont want a slider or something with a touch screen. Obviously they have nothing like that in their current line up of phones, and I am not opposed to going used at all. I just want something very basic in a "candybar" form factor

scanlonman
Feb 7, 2008

by R. Guyovich
* Country/Provider: USA - AT&T

* Current contract status: just bought an LG Xenon, can return them or sell for $200

* Budget (phone/plan): $200 if I sell the LG Xenon, $0 if I don't (but then I can get a subsidized phone)

* Features I know I want: Smartphone with hardware keyboard, something that can run on having $10 data per month on the family unlimited plan (no iPhone)

I just got the LG Xenon and it has a horrible microphone that picks up each and every sound around it.

macpod
Jan 29, 2006
What the hell was that about?
Country/Provider: USA/T-Mobile

Current contract status: Month to month

Budget (phone/plan): I just want to buy a phone, I don't want to alter my plan. I have up to 300$ to play with.

Features I know I want: A phone with camera that is good for texting (has a keyboard)

I guess the youth today no longer call anybody, they just text. My brother has a razr phone, but would really like a phone that is easier to text on. He is a little rough on stuff and can also lose things so while I don't want to get something crappy, I don't want a phone encrusted with diamonds either. :)

It looks like via T-mobile the sidekick for 250$ is the primary option currently. I would appreciate your thoughts/suggestions.

macpod fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 1, 2009

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.
I'm looking to get a new mobile on pay as you go, and to spend no more than £100, preferably less. I've been looking at a few mobiles and I've narrowed it down to these - unless anyone has any better suggestions. I definitely want decent battery life, especially when playing MP3s, and the ability to use it as a organizer is a bonus, as would Wi-Fi or 3G. Most of these don't have WiFi or 3G - should I be going for 3G as I do plan on going on the internet with these, though not to watch Youtube videos or anything.

Nokia 5103 - it has a long battery life for music, but the screen is quite poor in sunlight, apparently.

Nokia 5530 - this is quite pricy, but has wi-fi. However, it apparently feels quite cheap.

Alcatel OT-708 - very cheap, touchscreen, decent battery life. But some people say it's a bit rubbish.

LG KP500 - This gets good reviews, but has a very poor battery life, apparently.

Tocco Lite - this seems to be a popular and a good one, but some people have said that it cuts out on some calls - not just on O2 - and that the locking mechanism can unlock the phone in your pocket.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

rt_hat posted:

code:
[Country/Provider] : 	    Canada / Rogers (GSM)
[Current Contract Status] : Month-to-month
[Budget] :                  600$ (no contract, want to buy the phone straight up)
[Features] :
I really like the old-school Sony Ericsson phones, the k750 was my favourite, but I got it wet and couldn't find a replacement. Right now I've been using a Sony Ericsson k850, but I've been pretty disappointed with the software, it's very laggy and buggy, also the earphone has been coming and going to the point where I have to use speakerphone all the time.

For a replacement I would also be trying to find an unlocked SE phone. Hopefully the newer ones have their act together.

Must-haves are :
- quad-band
- a decent camera with flash
- bluetooth
- a responsive UI (no lag)
- external speaker
- pretty durable, not a flip phone
- avoiding touch screens if I can
- good texting stuff (I text a lot)

Things that I'd like :
- a good calendar for adding appointments and syncing with Outlook
- in candy-bar form (not a flip phone)
- customizable ui (assigning shortcut keys, like they do in the SE phones)
- not huge

It would be nice :
- wifi
- gps
- usb connection to PC

When I lost my k850 back in June, I bought a Nokia N79. In retrospect I probably should have gotten the N85 (though I hear the N86 is the new hotness), the keys on the N79 are pretty bad. The N86 is a slider though, I don't know if that's a deal breaker. But I've liked my N79, though my next phone is going to be a touchscreen I think.

roachfiend
Mar 5, 2002
Country/Provider: US/T-Mobile

Current contract status: Finished

Budget (phone/plan): Under $200 if possible (refurb'd models perfectly fine), but I'm a little flexible

Features I know I want:

Great camera w/ flash
Good voice quality
Good battery life

Features that would be cool:

Wi-Fi
Touchscreen
QWERTY keyboard, real or virtual

Basically I want a fast, good-looking-picture-taking camera that has a built-in phone. I also forget to charge my phone a lot, so having a long battery life would be nice.

I've noticed some models that are fairly cheap have wi-fi built in. I do not have a data plan and do not want one, but if I could use my wireless at home with this, then that would be rad. I also think I'd like a touchscreen but have never used one so I don't know if I would like it or not.

I think the Samsung F480 looks pretty rad. It doesn't have all of my likes, though, but it's pretty close. I also have no problem buying an older model if the features are right. I've heard great things about some of the older SE Cybershot models, but I'm not sure which models were good and which were crap.

Anyone have some suggestions?

Coda A27
Nov 9, 2003

Section
Dispa

900ftjesus posted:

Plan: Sprint EPRP (see Sprint thread) $59/month, unlimited text and data, free Sprint Nav, 500 minutes, unlimited mobile to mobile regardless of carrier. The only time you use minutes is calls to landline phones between 7am and 7pm.

Phone: Samsung Moment. Does/has everything you listed and a lot more.

My sister suggested pairing up for the the T-Mobile "Even More for Families Unlimited Talk" plan for two lines. Doing some research, the cost is $100/month, plus unlimited web and messaging at $40 is $140, or $70 a pop. Sprint is still cheaper by 16%, hurrah!

zeus juice
Mar 22, 2007
my name rhymes
  • Country/Provider: US/Verizon

• Current contract status: Doesn't matter

• Budget (phone/plan): phone unlimited, plan $50

• Features I know I want:
    -dumbphone
    -camera
    -Bluetooth
    -durability
    -small form-factor
    -enough texts if switching plans

• Features I do not want:
    -touch screen
    -swivels
    -possibly sliders
I don't want a new phone. I have a seven-year-old VX8100 that is fantastic, but it's dying. It's on its 3rd battery, I've re-soldered the power socket onto the circuit board multiple times, and the keypad is losing responsiveness. I want a small, durable phone that will replace this one. I'd prefer to avoid touch, swivel, and probably slider phones because of durability issues, and touch screens in general make for a larger formfactor. My cell phone is my only phone at home, so reliability is a big selling point.

I like the env3 sorta, but I've read some troubling reviews saying that it randomly shuts down and is prone to freezing. I don't want this in a phone that I will likely have for another 5 years. Does anyone have experience with this?

I'm on a family plan paying ~$20/month for "enough" minutes and unlimited in-network/50 out texts. I'd prefer to stick with this plan because of the value, but am open to reasonable alternatives.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Darth Ronson posted:

Nokia 5530 - this is quite pricy, but has wi-fi. However, it apparently feels quite cheap.
I like this phone, been using it for about two weeks now. Doesn't feel cheap to me. I like the black one over the white one.

It was selling for under $200 last week, pretty cheap for an S60 touchscreen phone.

Death of Chivalry
Aug 29, 2009

DEAD
I'm thinking of getting an iPhone for my girlfriend for Christmas. She is on T-mobile so it will need to be jailbroken. The max I am willing to spend it $300 on it and I know you can't find new ones for that price.

I am looking for any recommendations of if this is a bad/too expensive idea and what the alternatives out there are. I don't think she would mind signing a contract so I guess any phone+contract recommendations wouldn't be too bad either.

* Country/Provider: USA

* Current contract status: free agent I think

* Budget (phone/plan): under $75 per month

* Features I know I want: Internet! Something with a good browser mainly and chat . Anything else is a bonus

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

It's a good idea if 3G isn't important to her, since you won't be getting that with an iPhone. You might be able to get away with T-Mobile's $9.99/month bolt-on for "data" instead of their $25/month bolt-on for "smartphone data," but someone with more recent T-Mobile experience would be a better person to ask about that.

Look at eBay for used 2G iPhones, they come in 4GB and 8GB capacities. You should be able to get one in the $200-275 ballpark depending on the capacity. Unlocking it yourself is trivial, and you can just throw her T-Mo SIM card in there.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I thought I'd ask here for a friend of mine. She has the Ocean 2 or whatever right now on Helio but she wants to get a phone running Android. The only issue is that she says she currently pays $45/month which I assume includes data and unlimited SMS. It's a problem because she doesn't want to pay more than $45, but I really don't think that's possible for what she wants (data + SMS).

* Current contract status: Helio?

* Budget (phone/plan): As close to $45/month as possible

* Features I know I want: Unlimited data + SMS, Android

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Ziir posted:

I thought I'd ask here for a friend of mine. She has the Ocean 2 or whatever right now on Helio but she wants to get a phone running Android. The only issue is that she says she currently pays $45/month which I assume includes data and unlimited SMS. It's a problem because she doesn't want to pay more than $45, but I really don't think that's possible for what she wants (data + SMS).

* Current contract status: Helio?

* Budget (phone/plan): As close to $45/month as possible

* Features I know I want: Unlimited data + SMS, Android

Her closest bet is to either hope she can get a 25% discount on a sprint ED plan (52.50/month), or Sprint EPRP (60/month)

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
*Country/provider - Canada/any (but I don't care for Telus)

*Current contract status - Pay as you go

*Budget - ~$500 with no contract.

*Features - I'm looking for a smartphone that I can use exclusively with wifi connectivity. I basically want a single device that can take half-decent photos, replace my aging mp3 player, and bang out a game or two of tetris. Getting internet/email over wifi is important. I'm more concerned with the selection of operating system than phone. I've been told, but cannot corroborate that Android phones don't handle intermittent connections very well. I don't want an iPhone. Should last 2+ years.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Tedronai66 posted:

Her closest bet is to either hope she can get a 25% discount on a sprint ED plan (52.50/month), or Sprint EPRP (60/month)

I checked the Spring megathread but found no mention of what an ED or EPRP plan is nor how to get one.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Ziir posted:

I checked the Spring megathread but found no mention of what an ED or EPRP plan is nor how to get one.

ED = Everything Data
This is the standard plan with unlimited text, data, GPS, etc.

EPRP = Everything Plus Referral Plan
This is the discounted employee referral version of the ED plan.

You can get an employer discount with the ED plan if you work for a company which has lines with Sprint, but you can't double dip and get an employer discount with EPRP. Basically, find out if you can get an employer discount, and choose whichever is cheaper.

Nalix
Apr 16, 2007
Country/Provider: US/Verizon

Current contract status: End of 2 year plan

Budget (phone/plan): 4 person family plan, personally I want the Droid Eris with a data plan

I'm looking for the cheapest plan I could get with a four person family plan. I want a data plan, at least for myself if that's possible, for the Droid Eris along with unlimited texting. I'm not opposed to switching providers although I am content with Verizon at the moment. The Droid Eris is merely my first choice for phones so if some other service provider is cheaper, I'll find a smart phone I like for them.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Nalix posted:

Country/Provider: US/Verizon

Current contract status: End of 2 year plan

Budget (phone/plan): 4 person family plan, personally I want the Droid Eris with a data plan

I'm looking for the cheapest plan I could get with a four person family plan. I want a data plan, at least for myself if that's possible, for the Droid Eris along with unlimited texting. I'm not opposed to switching providers although I am content with Verizon at the moment. The Droid Eris is merely my first choice for phones so if some other service provider is cheaper, I'll find a smart phone I like for them.

If you want the Droid eris, consider the sprint hero. Sprint will be your cheapest bet for a 4-line family plan, and everyone can share the data, text, and call any mobile phone period for free. All this for $42.50/month per line with four people. And you can likely get a discount through employer or credit union or whatever (see sprint thread).

There's even a thread down in coupons to get the phone of your choice for 200$ off the 2-year contract price (Hero becomes $79).

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.
I've pretty much narrowed down my choice of phone to a Tocco Lite or a Tocco Lite Wireless. And given that the Tocco Lite Wireless isn't getting a UK release any time soon, I'm probably going to go for the Tocco Lite. But I've got a few questions about it. I think it's called the Samsung Star or the S5230 in the US.

1. Is the handwriting recognition any good? Does it read just one letter at a time, or can it read whole words? And if it's the latter, do you have to write slowly and clearly? If it's slower than using the qwerty pad it might not be worth it.

2. Can you write documents on it? I know it has an organizer. Or can you download a Java word processor?

3. There was talk about the Tocco muting calls, mostly on O2 but also on some other networks. Was this this the case, and was it fixed?

4. I've heard that you can't easily switch between running applications. Is this true?

Darth Ronson fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 10, 2009

Spiffy!
Jul 15, 2007

I, Woodpecker.
help.. my parents are kicking me off their plan and I've never paid for my own phone service. :byodood:

# Country/Provider: USA/US Cellular

# Current contract status: contract ending at some time next year (not sure)

# Budget (phone/plan): anything dirt cheap.. $30 a month or less for the plan, less than $60 for the phone.

# Features I know I want: looking for prepaid/pay-as-you-go. Right now possibly averaging around 5 hours of talk a month, no more than maybe 20 texts/month. Ideally I need a plan with maximum flexibility with minimum cost, I feel like I don't use my phone a lot but I never really know. Any extra features, camera, would be nice but not necessary.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Mo

Spiffy! posted:

help.. my parents are kicking me off their plan and I've never paid for my own phone service. :byodood:

# Country/Provider: USA/US Cellular

# Current contract status: contract ending at some time next year (not sure)

# Budget (phone/plan): anything dirt cheap.. $30 a month or less for the plan, less than $60 for the phone.

# Features I know I want: looking for prepaid/pay-as-you-go. Right now possibly averaging around 5 hours of talk a month, no more than maybe 20 texts/month. Ideally I need a plan with maximum flexibility with minimum cost, I feel like I don't use my phone a lot but I never really know. Any extra features, camera, would be nice but not necessary.

Might have to up plan budget a little. What provider are your friends on? That would probably matter most.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My terrible Verizon plan (thanks for being bought, Alltel!) runs out at the end of this month. I live in the middle of rear end gently caress nowhere, so my options are limited as far as plans go, so I've already settled on a Unicel plan. I think I know what phone I want too, but I was wondering if anyone here can give me a heads up whether or not it's any good.

http://www.motorola.com/consumers/US-EN/Motorola-Evoke-QA4-US-EN.do?vgnextoid=56cbe25ab7e7f110VgnVCM1000008406b00aRCRD

The other ratings from magazines and tech sites seem to range from 3-4, but I was wondering if anyone here had hands on experience with one of them.

Another option would be this one...

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Mobile-Phones/MOTO-Q-9c-US-EN

It has Windows Mobile on it, which would be handy, and also has the plus side of being free with a 2 year plan.

So...Opinions?

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Dec 11, 2009

Kiger_Soze
Feb 1, 2005
I broke my iphone last weekend and am in the market for a new phone. Still have 6 months on my att contract. What's the best phone that works with atts 3g. looking to spend around $500 and don't want a new iphone, what do you guys think?

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.
Does The Shack have a standard recommendation for PAYG phones in the US, more specifically, Gainesville, FL?

I'm seriously just looking for the cheapest thing I can get so I can make occasional phone calls. I don't text, don't need anything at all special, and don't make a lot of calls.

The only thing I'd like is a service that doesn't suck donkey balls through a dish drainer. I was on AT&T before, and it was literally like no service at all anywhere I went. Sucktacular.

Thanks in advance.

kittiesgomeow
Oct 13, 2008

This avatar cost on average $27.
Country/Provider: US, AT&T

Current contract status: In the middle of a 2yr contract, not looking to get out of, just considering a new phone

Budget (phone/plan): No specific budget for the phone, as long as it's under $1000. Also, I'm on a family plan right now, so the price of the plan isn't really my problem (hoorah for poor college students).

Features I know I want: SMS, MMS, IMAP support, simple and customizable UI, touchscreen, QWERTY keyboard also

Currently, I have an iPhone and have had one since they were first released. Having grown tired of the same old thing (namely having to jailbreak to get features that should be standard), I was thinking of getting a new phone. I currently between a Blackberry of some kind or HTC Touch Pro though I'm not sure what being a Mac user means for the Windows system on phones (though I may be switching back to a PC soon). Whether or not it's workable to update iCal is my main concern. I use texting a lot, and browse the internet only mildly. Having a few 3rd party apps (namely facebook) would be nice but not essential.
I haven't quite decided if I should go ahead and switch or if the iphone has tainted me to never be happy with another phone again (I'm hoping not). Thanks in advanced.

kittiesgomeow fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 14, 2009

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Nevermind, got it figured out!

No. 9 fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 16, 2009

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I'm in upstate NY on AT&T Wireless, a few months into a 24mo. contract for an iPhone 3GS. I'm paying $90/month for iPhone Data and the cheapest voice and text messaging packages.

I was previously using a $20 family plan Verizon phone and an iPod touch. I love the upgrades that the iPhone 3GS gave me over the iPod touch and the convenience of only having to carry one device. I hate paying $90/month when I almost never use 3G data (WiFi is available for 95% of my waking hours) and use less than 200 voice minutes per month.

I think I'd be happy using my iPhone exclusively with WiFi, treating it as a glorified iTouch that also makes calls and text messages, by dropping the data plan completely and switching to a cheaper voice/messaging plan.

Is it possible to jailbreak my iPhone and switch to something like a pay-as-I-go voice/messaging plan on T-Mobile? I'm willing to eat the early termination fee if it means saving a decent amount of money over the next 20 months or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Parker Lewis posted:

I'm in upstate NY on AT&T Wireless, a few months into a 24mo. contract for an iPhone 3GS. I'm paying $90/month for iPhone Data and the cheapest voice and text messaging packages.

I was previously using a $20 family plan Verizon phone and an iPod touch. I love the upgrades that the iPhone 3GS gave me over the iPod touch and the convenience of only having to carry one device. I hate paying $90/month when I almost never use 3G data (WiFi is available for 95% of my waking hours) and use less than 200 voice minutes per month.

I think I'd be happy using my iPhone exclusively with WiFi, treating it as a glorified iTouch that also makes calls and text messages, by dropping the data plan completely and switching to a cheaper voice/messaging plan.

Is it possible to jailbreak my iPhone and switch to something like a pay-as-I-go voice/messaging plan on T-Mobile? I'm willing to eat the early termination fee if it means saving a decent amount of money over the next 20 months or so.

I think you can even get the Even More Plus plans with tmo (which would be fairly cheap, $60/month for talk/text unlimited). You'll of course have to turn off whatever data once you jailbreak.