Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

dusty udder smoker posted:

standard release message, with the "official" reason being budget cuts.

Official reason he was told was that creative didn't have anything for him.

Capsaicin posted:

This was during the Lita/Kane/Snitsky storyline, then Lita started getting chants and boos at her. "You screwed Matt" and whatnot.

She didn't just start getting boos. She got so much heat that she turned the monster heel who had raped and impregnated her into a babyface. That was impressive.

Capsaicin posted:

Later, Hardy did a few run-ins out of the crowd, and the cameras looked away and the announcers didn't really talk about it. Hardy got to yell out "RING OF HONOR! RING OF HONOR!" a few times, and a few weeks later, McMahon came out, said he rehired him, and Matt Hardy gave a horrible horrible promo.

Horrible is too nice. Matt took one of the biggest pushes of the past few years and completely hosed it up by showing he just didn't have the charisma or talent to be in the upper card.

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

If it was anyone else with the same kind of talent, I'd agree. But this was Edge. The guy who at the time was the definition of 'failed push' (definition has since been filled by Mr. Kennedy). They'd been pushing him since 2002 and gotten nowhere. The Lita angle probably saved Edge's career.

They'd been pushing him as a white bread kinda smarmy babyface, which everyone said was a poor use of his talent, because he was a tall blonde guy. The second they turned him heel, Lita or no Lita, he would get over.

WeaselWeaz fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 6, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

WeaselWeaz posted:

Official reason he was told was that creative didn't have anything for him.

She didn't just start getting boos. She got so much heat that she turned the monster heel who had raped and impregnated her into a babyface. That was impressive.

Horrible is too nice. Matt took one of the biggest pushes of the past few years and completely hosed it up by showing he just didn't have the charisma or talent to be in the upper card.

They'd been pushing him as a white bread kinda smarmy babyface, which everyone said was a poor use of his talent, because he was a tall blonde guy. The second they turned him heel, Lita or no Lita, he would get over.

He was pretty over as a heel at the end of 04 in his feud with HBK.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

He was pretty over as a heel at the end of 04 in his feud with HBK.

Wait, Matt?

I have no memory of this.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

HulkaMatt posted:

Wait, Matt?

I have no memory of this.

No, Edge. He turned at Taboo Tuesday 04 by bailing on Benoit in the tag title match, attacked HBK in the main event, and you know the rest.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Justice Grieves posted:

According to WWE Kids Magazine, Randy Orton is the year's "Biggest Buttbrain!"

Agree or disagree? Me, I feel that it was Mark Henry rapping or guest host Verne Troyer. What a buttbrain!

Yeah, it should totally be one of two things that happened six days ago. How could a monthly magazine for children overlook that?!?!?!?

nyratk1
Jul 24, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Justice Grieves posted:

According to WWE Kids Magazine, Randy Orton is the year's "Biggest Buttbrain!"

Agree or disagree? Me, I feel that it was Mark Henry rapping or guest host Verne Troyer. What a buttbrain!

The answer is Jeff Hardy.

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

oldpainless posted:

What I meant was I dont watch TNA so there might be guys who have protected finishers, but I wouldn't be aware of them.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
NOTHING is protected in TNA. Not finishers, not wrestlers, not title shots or match provisions. This is TNA's biggest problem.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Edge was really over as a face for every single one of his face runs. It's just that he has always been "better" as a heel.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Most talented entertainers are better as heels

Doesnt mean they cant be cheered for, as long as the guy on the other side of the ring is an even bigger rear end in a top hat

Edge would easily be the face if he was fueding with say, Randy Orton - And he wouldnt need to change one single thing about his character

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

How many wrestlers have names for their fans? Off the top of my head I can think of: Hulkamaniacs
Jerichoholics
Kanenites
Testicles
Freaks
Edgeheads
And maybe the mmmmmmillions and millions of The Rocks fans.

CrankyProf
Apr 22, 2008

by angerbotSD

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

How many wrestlers have names for their fans? Off the top of my head I can think of: Hulkamaniacs
Jerichoholics
Kanenites
Testicles
Freaks
Edgeheads

Christian has his peeps.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

CrankyProf posted:

Christian has his peeps.

This is true and I guess Cena has the Cenation or something like that now.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Didn't Matt Hardy have a name for his fans during his V1 gimmick?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

PunkBoy posted:

Didn't Matt Hardy have a name for his fans during his V1 gimmick?

His "Little MF'ers."

V1 Matt Hardy was the absolute best.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
To the bubblecraft! Set control to hypochondria!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Jerichoholics
Kanenites
Testicles
Freaks
Edgeheads

Don't forget the dozens (AND DOZENS) of Mick Foley fans.

Plus, The Miz for a time had the Mizfits.

Jazz Hoyt
Nov 25, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

V1 Matt Hardy was the absolute best.
Matt Fact: Matt strongly dislikes mustard.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Jazz Hoyt posted:

Wow I hated him before but jesus.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Didn't Punk refer to his fans as "lil punkers" at some point?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

This is true and I guess Cena has the Cenation or something like that now.

Previously the Chain Gang.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jazz Hoyt posted:

Matt Fact: Matt lasted longer than his brother in the Royal Rumble.

Everything about Mattitude was so amazingly well done, it must have been somebody's pet project because he's never been quite that good again. He's still massively over and has developed into a really solid midcard go-to guy, but during that Mattitude period his music/entrance/mannerisms/promos/wrestling etc was just all clicking in a special way.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

AKA Driver posted:

Plus, The Miz for a time had the Mizfits.

I've seen him use "Miztakes" but I think that's what he calls his "haters".

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Matt's problem is that he picked up the phone at the first ring when Vince called. A guy like Hogan or Nash or HHH would let it ring until Vince was essentially promising the world, because that's what Vince does. If he can't get something, he REALLY wants it.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
To the bubblecraft! Set control to hypochondria!

CM Junk posted:

I've seen him use "Miztakes" but I think that's what he calls his "haters".

Makes me wonder, if I'm a fan of Chris Jericho now, does that make me a "parasite," a "sycophant," or a "hypocrite"?

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President

Supreme Allah posted:

Most talented entertainers are better as heels

Doesnt mean they cant be cheered for, as long as the guy on the other side of the ring is an even bigger rear end in a top hat

Edge would easily be the face if he was fueding with say, Randy Orton - And he wouldnt need to change one single thing about his character

Edge would be a pretty decent face I think. The problem with the WWE is that when wrestlers turn face, they lose their attitude and become this wishy-washy goody two-shoes character making them uninteresting and one dimensional. For an Edge turn to work he would have to keep the attitude but aim his actions towards heels, I think that could work.

If he didn't get injured I'm sure Edge would have been the one slowly turning towards a face turn like Big Show was during the build-up to Survivor Series. Now with a vindictive Vicky still on Smackdown and heel of heels Jericho to feud with when (or should that be if) he returns, I'm pretty sure he could have a solid face run for a while.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Jerusalem posted:

Matt Fact: Matt lasted longer than his brother in the Royal Rumble.

Everything about Mattitude was so amazingly well done, it must have been somebody's pet project because he's never been quite that good again. He's still massively over and has developed into a really solid midcard go-to guy, but during that Mattitude period his music/entrance/mannerisms/promos/wrestling etc was just all clicking in a special way.

And the addition of Shannone Moore as the MF'er was a stroke of genius, because you could see the two of them were having a great time with it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Writer Cath posted:

And the addition of Shannone Moore as the MF'er was a stroke of genius, because you could see the two of them were having a great time with it.

The Royal Rumble where Shannon was desperately trying to keep Matt from being eliminated was one of my favorites ever.

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.

AKA Driver posted:

Makes me wonder, if I'm a fan of Chris Jericho now, does that make me a "parasite," a "sycophant," or a "hypocrite"?

All of the above, you gelatinous tapeworm.

CrankyProf
Apr 22, 2008

by angerbotSD

Happy Happyist posted:

All of the above, you gelatinous tapeworm.

Better than being a big, fat failure turtle.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Jerichoholics
Kanenites
Testicles
Freaks
Edgeheads

Ultimate Warrior called his fans...."Warriors."

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

oldpainless posted:

What I meant was I dont watch TNA so there might be guys who have protected finishers, but I wouldn't be aware of them.

Just a couple months back on Impact, AJ Styles, the World Champion at the time had his Styles Clash and Springboard 450 Splash finishers kicked out of by Kurt Angle. Who wasn't the #1 contender. On free TV. On the go-home show to PPV.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Just a couple months back on Impact, AJ Styles, the World Champion at the time had his Styles Clash and Springboard 450 Splash finishers kicked out of by Kurt Angle. Who wasn't the #1 contender. On free TV. On the go-home show to PPV.

Good Lord, that is terrible. That's practically telling people not to bother to order the show because your main event is already a foregone conclusion.

Who decided to let that happen? I thought the creative staff of TNA had experience in the wrestling business. They really thought it was a good idea to do that? Mind-boggling.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
Why does TNA have such a boner for Kurt anyway? He rolled through pretty much all the established talent the second he showed up, held nearly every title TNA had simultaneously at one point and kicks out of so many finishers he makes Jeff Jarrett blush.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Why does TNA have such a boner for Kurt anyway? He rolled through pretty much all the established talent the second he showed up, held nearly every title TNA had simultaneously at one point and kicks out of so many finishers he makes Jeff Jarrett blush.

Until Hogan, Kurt was legitimately the biggest star TNA ever acquired. He's also probably STILL the biggest star they ever acquired who was not only still actively wrestling, but employed and actively used by WWE till parting company with them.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Until Hogan, Kurt was legitimately the biggest star TNA ever acquired. He's also probably STILL the biggest star they ever acquired who was not only still actively wrestling, but employed and actively used by WWE till parting company with them.

I think you could make a case for Nash or Sting. You figure they were both multiple-world champs. Regardless of age or work-rate, they were also big stars at wrestling's most popular time during the late 90's.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

The Royal Rumble where Shannon was desperately trying to keep Matt from being eliminated was one of my favorites ever.

Who was it Shannon took under his own wing as his first Moore-on? I'm too lazy to look it up

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

CM Junk posted:

Who was it Shannon took under his own wing as his first Moore-on? I'm too lazy to look it up

Crash Holly.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Capsaicin posted:

Didn't Punk refer to his fans as "lil punkers" at some point?

With his Pepsi tattoo, I wouldn't be surprised if he called them the "new generation" or something equally lame

nyratk1
Jul 24, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Ozz81 posted:

With his Pepsi tattoo, I wouldn't be surprised if he called them the "new generation" or something equally lame

In the past few months, he said he was the "choice of a new generation" and Luke Gallows proclaimed Punk to be his savior on SD last week.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

oldpainless posted:

I think you could make a case for Nash or Sting. You figure they were both multiple-world champs. Regardless of age or work-rate, they were also big stars at wrestling's most popular time during the late 90's.

This is true, but Kurt Angle was a constant main event player in WWE almost since his debut, whereas Sting did gently caress all for 5 years, and Kevin Nash was jobbing to Triple H and exploding his body parts in the years before joining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

This is true, but Kurt Angle was a constant main event player in WWE almost since his debut

You forgot consistently entertaining, too.