Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
After a ton of research, I'm fairly sure I want to go into AAU's MFA program for illustration. In spite of the cost and some other departments' reputations, their illustration program seems really, really good. It's even been credited as such in this thread.

I've checked around, and AAU is one of only two schools in the entire STATE that has an MFA for illustration. The other is CSU Fullerton in Southern California, which likely wouldn't accept me because my first degree is in graphic design.

I want to go for an MFA instead of another BFA because I'd like to teach someday, plus I'd rather not deal with too many kids straight out of high school.

If I do this for one semester at first to feel out the program, and the cost of the two classes I'd take won't set me back too far, is this a terrible idea? It seems like there's a lot of practical skills I can gain from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
I don't want to be a dick but I don't think you're up to MFA level...

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
What's the best way to keep in touch with an interviewer? We have a local design association, but I'm not sure if they go to meetings. I should probably get involved anyways, but they always have meetings when I have class. :(

I really liked the place I interviewed at and they're a growing company and got the "We chose someone else for the internship but loved your portfolio. We'll be at portfolio day and check with us about any future openings!"

I interviewed for an internship at web company with no web experience so I'm not surprised I didn't get it.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 16, 2009

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cheese eats mouse posted:

What's the best way to keep in touch with an interviewer?

LinkedIn?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

qirex posted:

LinkedIn?

Is it really that good? I'm not on there.

saeal
Aug 30, 2004

Salute to the flying fish brigade.
So I am now in the process of looking at new schools to transfer into. I've been going to community college for art and design after being in Chemistry for 3 years at a full-blown university. Choosing schools is never easy! I'm looking into majoring in Graphic Design or Communication Design/Arts. Some schools I've looked at are: Tyler School of Art, Kansas City Art Institute, Virginia Commonwealth, Kutztown University of Pennsylvania, and MICA. I guess I should also list RISD, but I won't find out for sure until I have lunch with them on Thursday... :) Also not looking at schools in New York and California.

I live in Philadelphia right now so Tyler will be a pretty smooth transition. Although I think that Tyler's student work wasn't as great as I hoped to be. Kutztown on the other hand I believe has a strong program for the little money they charge. Their student work is pretty awesome (personally) but I'm not really up for living in Kutztown itself. Now, my family lives in Virginia- I've actually gotten accepted into VCU before but ended up not going there. Kansas City looks pretty awesome, as I am looking for a school that is inter-disciplinary friendly. Unfortunately I don't know much about their graphic design program. Seems like their ceramics and fiber arts is much more well known. MICA is another school I am looking at, but I am not sure about their graphic design program.

It would be awesome if anyone could chime in about any of the schools I listed. I think as of now I'm looking at KCAI, but obviously anything can happen from now till then. National Portfolio Day is coming up this weekend so I'll have a review with Tyler, VCU, and MICA but KCAI has pretty much approved me.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Prylex3 posted:

Is it stupid to quit though? I ask this because SCAD has such a hefty price tag. While all the interactive guys at work say it is an awesome school, I am not convinced being in massive debt is worth it. I am not really fluent in the industry, but if I graduate SCAD and get a little bump in pay because I have a better portfolio, isn't that offset by the fact that I am 60K in debt? I have always wanted to gain experience and work on big name stuff, and here is my chance. I just don't want to quit school and regret it later. Or feel like I could have done better by sticking with school. I can still work and finish school to a certain degree, but to learn at work what I am paying to learn in school seems foolish. Will I be hurt later down the road if I don't have that little BFA next to my name? What does everyone think?

What major are you in? Motion Graphics? I went to SCAD and have a couple of friends who were in that (or Broadcast Design I think is what it used to be called) and they are all doing really interesting web/interactive stuff now. A few work at video game companies, and one of my friends who lives near me now is at an agency and always talking about working on really interesting projects for really major clients.

I don't know if it's worth it for you to stay in, but the people I know who did it are doing well. I believe most of the creative people I've met from my friend's agency went to art school too.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006
Can anyone tell me how to get work as an illustrator? Locationwise, I live in Washington State about halfway between Seattle and Portland, either of which are places I'd like to live. This is what my drawing usually looks like. I've been looking for design jobs for 3+ years now, since that's what my degree is in, but in that time I've only gotten three or four interviews. I don't even know where or how to begin looking for illustration work, though.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
Are you talking about an actual job as an illustrator with a company, or freelance? I have no idea bout getting a real job, as I know nothing about the industry in your area. I do some freelance illustration, and all the jobs I've ever gotten have been through connections and just knowing the right people. Also, the internet is a wonderful thing. I'm in Pittsburgh, and my current illustration client is in Australia. Freelance is great for adding stuff to your portfolio and getting more contacts and work. I have a former client who tips me off about upcoming jobs with big players like EA, though none of them would have worked out logistically.

I'm currently working on breaking into the Pittsburgh game industry, and so far I've made a bunch of connections with people already in, and it's helping out a bunch in terms of learning of jobs that aren't formally listed to what to say in the cover letters.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'm thinking about signing up for some online computer art classes/programs. Right now, it comes down to:

-Individual classes of what I can take through Gnomon School
http://www.gnomonschool.com/programs/online_training/

-Game Arts Certificate through Sessions Online School of Game Arts
http://gameart.sessions.edu/

Since Sessions is offering a discount right now until the 18th, I'm tempted.
I THINK Sessions will be about $5K-6K for a 45-week program, but I need to make sure of a few things before I can really take the plunge (that oddly enough SHOULDN'T be a problem, but it will be.)

But, what do people think? I'm not able to find anything out about personal experiences and examples of student work outside the school. Thoughts?

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

KittenofDoom posted:

After a ton of research, I'm fairly sure I want to go into AAU's MFA program for illustration. In spite of the cost and some other departments' reputations, their illustration program seems really, really good. It's even been credited as such in this thread.

I've checked around, and AAU is one of only two schools in the entire STATE that has an MFA for illustration. The other is CSU Fullerton in Southern California, which likely wouldn't accept me because my first degree is in graphic design.

I want to go for an MFA instead of another BFA because I'd like to teach someday, plus I'd rather not deal with too many kids straight out of high school.

If I do this for one semester at first to feel out the program, and the cost of the two classes I'd take won't set me back too far, is this a terrible idea? It seems like there's a lot of practical skills I can gain from them.

I took a few classes there for GD but had to stop due to cost. I would have continued had it not been for the cost ($1500 for 3 undergrad credits vs the ~$350 I was used to paying at a state school). Made more sense for me to just finish up at state since I already had an established portfolio and work history. I have a friend who graduated from AAU and got a very good job placement. That's my perspective--super expensive but worth it if you put in the time and effort and absolutely weigh the cost/benefit analysis. I was taking my classes online and they had by far the best online setup I'd encountered.

Now I want to go to SCAD for a Masters in Design Management, but that program isn't online yet and I can't move just for school (wife, house, job, etc.).

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
I'm going to try to finance it with FAFSA. If I regret it, it won't be too huge a debt and it'll be a fairly low interest rate as well. Still, the cost of an MFA there is cheaper than the cost of an unaccredited degree from a place like Art Center in Pasadena.

joon
Jul 21, 2006

yo check this out
anybody have horror stories about De Anza? thinking about going there for animation, and hoping its not completely awful

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm thinking about signing up for some online computer art classes/programs. Right now, it comes down to:

-Individual classes of what I can take through Gnomon School
http://www.gnomonschool.com/programs/online_training/

-Game Arts Certificate through Sessions Online School of Game Arts
http://gameart.sessions.edu/

Since Sessions is offering a discount right now until the 18th, I'm tempted.
I THINK Sessions will be about $5K-6K for a 45-week program, but I need to make sure of a few things before I can really take the plunge (that oddly enough SHOULDN'T be a problem, but it will be.)

But, what do people think? I'm not able to find anything out about personal experiences and examples of student work outside the school. Thoughts?

Is there a reason you can't attend a school in person? Almost everybody I know who has taken online courses hasn't really put them to good use or have gotten hired after taking them. You'd be better off buying the Gnomon/Digital Tutors/Lynda DVDs and learning from that, and from there start working on a portfolio if you're serious about getting into the field. Honestly the best education you're going to get is either self-taught, on a job, or in person at a school. A good CG community like polycount, gameartisans, or cgsociety is perfect inspiration and compliments a good education really well.

I'm at Gnomon School right now in the 2 year program and I've got nothing bad to say about it so far. I've met some amazing people/connections and in just my first term was taught by people who are still in the industry.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 7, 2009

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ceebee posted:

my first term was taught by people who are still in the industry.
This shouldn't be something that convinces you to go somewhere, it generally means that they don't pay the teachers very well [true of AAU as well]. Not to say that it says anything about the quality of staff but it's not necessarily a plus.

qirex fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 7, 2009

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I feel like it's a necessity when it comes to CG. Instructors who are around students all day every day aren't going to be keeping themselves up to date as far as the current trends and techniques goes. Whereas almost every week instructors share breakdowns, tips, new programs/plugins, quick tricks, and all kinds of other extremely useful things here. They learn that stuff at their job during the daytime, where instructors who are there every day have to go out of their way to teach new techniques. Granted, any good school should crack down on any instructor that is slacking, but when I was attending SCAD it didn't seem very common.

And it doesn't necessarily mean the pay is horrible. A good amount of the instructors here are working at the newly opened Gnomon Studio working on the next Shane Acker film and a few freelance projects. They also come from Sony, ILM, Disney, etc where I'm sure they get paid plenty.

Don't get me wrong though, the majority of CG programs (Gnomon included) are going to be a waste of time unless you really dedicate yourself and almost all of your free time to coming out of it with a good portfolio that isn't full of class assignments.

mockba
Sep 28, 2002
okay here's my shpeal. I just recently graduated Northern Michigan University in the upper peninsula of Michigan. It was a small school with a promising new design program. There I ran my university's student run design studio, founded the AIGA group aswell as many other student organizations. I won an award for my cycling advocacy posters, and helped build a devastated music community with the promotion of local musicians. After graduation I joined Project M ( https://www.projectmlab.com ) in Detroit. Since then I followed Project M down to Greensboro Alabama to help on their project Pielab. I have since retreated to my parents basement where all of my community building design has gone on a slump. I'm loosing my drive here the chicago suburbs. I've sluggishly applied to more jobs than I can count.

Here's my portfolio https://www.cargocollective.com/markwills (i have to say in detroit my laptop was stolen and a lot of my portfolio, so it's still limited)

Above all, I think my strengths are more with how to use design in collaboration with people and even community building. I'm at a loss of what to do with my self now. I could start trying to do freelance web-layouts for some of these website farm type business in Chicago but that makes me : (

I guess what do you guys have for advice/critique. Also I'm just looking to get out of Chicago I feel it's crowed with designers and not enough people hiring entry level people. So give me a reason to go somewhere.

mockba fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 9, 2009

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Hey guys, I recently had a series of meetings, telephone calls and email-sessions with a couple of literary agents (or, more accurately, people who work in the offices of literary agents) in the Toronto area about my manuscript. These conversations were generally positive, however they pretty much ended in the same way (I will paraphrase here):

"We are not currently interested in representing you, but we like your idea and would be willing to reconsider with a complete top-to-bottom rewrite which takes into account the following notes..." Followed by specific notes and the number of whom I should contact should I complete the rewrites.

Is this basically a complete blowoff by these particular people, or should I take their words in earnest and stop trying to find representation until I have rewritten this thing and then call them back?

I have had a few conversations with people who I would classify as "in the know" on such things. Some people have told me that if they were serious they would have offered to represent me before giving me their notes, and others have said that getting a callback from someone in the office in the first place means that I should take them seriously.

What should I think here?

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

DannoMack posted:

Hey guys, I recently had a series of meetings, telephone calls and email-sessions with a couple of literary agents (or, more accurately, people who work in the offices of literary agents) in the Toronto area about my manuscript. These conversations were generally positive, however they pretty much ended in the same way (I will paraphrase here):

"We are not currently interested in representing you, but we like your idea and would be willing to reconsider with a complete top-to-bottom rewrite which takes into account the following notes..." Followed by specific notes and the number of whom I should contact should I complete the rewrites.

Is this basically a complete blowoff by these particular people, or should I take their words in earnest and stop trying to find representation until I have rewritten this thing and then call them back?

I have had a few conversations with people who I would classify as "in the know" on such things. Some people have told me that if they were serious they would have offered to represent me before giving me their notes, and others have said that getting a callback from someone in the office in the first place means that I should take them seriously.

What should I think here?

They see potential in you but your manuscript as it stands isn't up to their standards. They want to see if you're capable of producing better work before they invest time and money in you. If you want to work with that agency, revise and resubmit. If you think your manuscript is better as it is, shop it around to other agencies and see if you can find one that likes it unchanged.

akanekun
Apr 5, 2008

KittenofDoom posted:

I'm going to try to finance it with FAFSA. If I regret it, it won't be too huge a debt and it'll be a fairly low interest rate as well. Still, the cost of an MFA there is cheaper than the cost of an unaccredited degree from a place like Art Center in Pasadena.

Art Center is accredited. It's listed here: http://nasad.arts-accredit.org/index.jsp
And here: http://www.wascsenior.org/directory/institutions

I won't disagree with you on the pricetag, however.

qirex posted:

This shouldn't be something that convinces you to go somewhere, it generally means that they don't pay the teachers very well [true of AAU as well]. Not to say that it says anything about the quality of staff but it's not necessarily a plus.

I know for a fact that Gnomon pays their instructors very well. They're one of the few art schools that do so with little politics, in fact. Why else would a working professional give up their nights and weekends to spend time teaching? And I'm not sure why you wouldn't want someone completely up to date in their respective fields - in my educational experience, some of the worst teachers were always the ones who reminisced about their past achievements and were completely out of touch with the current changing market.

Not saying that being a professional automatically means you'll be a good instructor, but at the very least they're going to be more of a valid networking potential than someone who's only been teaching and not working in their field.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Authentic You posted:

Are you talking about an actual job as an illustrator with a company, or freelance?

Either would be good, though I prefer the former, depending on the specifics of the job, of course.

Authentic You posted:

I have no idea bout getting a real job, as I know nothing about the industry in your area.

Washington state, although I'm willing to move if necessary. I'm somewhat interested in Portland, and while Los Angeles is an obvious place to live for this sort of thing, it's much farther away, so I can't visit it as often as long as I don't live there, and I definitely couldn't afford to live there before locking a job down.

Authentic You posted:

I do some freelance illustration, and all the jobs I've ever gotten have been through connections and just knowing the right people. Also, the internet is a wonderful thing. I'm in Pittsburgh, and my current illustration client is in Australia.

Tell me more about that, please, keeping in mind that obviously I must not know the right people, because if I did, there wouldn't be a problem (or maybe I do know the right people, but just haven't identified them?).

Authentic You posted:

Freelance is great for adding stuff to your portfolio and getting more contacts and work. I have a former client who tips me off about upcoming jobs with big players like EA, though none of them would have worked out logistically.

I'm currently working on breaking into the Pittsburgh game industry, and so far I've made a bunch of connections with people already in, and it's helping out a bunch in terms of learning of jobs that aren't formally listed to what to say in the cover letters.

Good for you. Is there some way you can frame this that will make it useful to me?

Deep Hurting fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Dec 25, 2009

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Deep Hurting posted:

Either would be good, though I prefer the former, depending on the specifics of the job, of course.
The more in-house illustration jobs I can think of are film and game concept art, architectural rendering (which pays the best), and perhaps getting a regular gig with a publisher for book illustrations/cover design, and working with an art consultant to produce commissioned art for restaurants, hotels, private homes, whoever wants art to hang. Though lots of that stuff can be done freelance too.

quote:

Washington state, although I'm willing to move if necessary. I'm somewhat interested in Portland, and while Los Angeles is an obvious place to live for this sort of thing, it's much farther away, so I can't visit it as often as long as I don't live there, and I definitely couldn't afford to live there before locking a job down.
There's a good amount of creative stuff going on in San Francisco, which isn't toooo far away, so you might want to look into companies there, but then again, also absurdly expensive (why I'm not living there now - I'm from SF).

quote:

Tell me more about that, please, keeping in mind that obviously I must not know the right people, because if I did, there wouldn't be a problem (or maybe I do know the right people, but just haven't identified them?).
I don't know, it's just.. knowing people and being in the right place at the right time, talking to people about your work, making an impression so they bring you up when someone else talks to them about your type of work, etc. Print some business cards and hand them out whenever it's appropriate, maintain contact, make friends, put your fingers in all the pies. Even if you do it a lot, actually getting work is still pretty spotty, but the more you do, the more easily you can get more work, because you're always expanding your circle of contacts.

Also, chum the water, as my dad says. Give out tidbits and favors to people, and they remember you fondly for it, and may come back to you later (this is how I got the EA job tip).

quote:

Good for you. Is there some way you can frame this that will make it useful to me?
It's really just a matter of getting yourself out there. Turns out my neighbor (and former resident of my house - still stops by a lot) works as a programmer for one of the Pittsburgh firms, got me to join the local slacklining club he was a part of (a variation of tightrope walking) and a huge portion of the members were also at various game firms or were in CMU's Entertainment Technology Masters program. That was probably more luck than anything, but again, try to get in with the crowd that the people in your desired industry run with.

Sorry for being lengthy, but I've been having a hard time quantifying advice, because so much of it is just stuff happening around you when you poke in the right places. Like the entrepreneurship class I took, since it's such an organic process, the class was much more about how to conduct yourself than what to do.

GrazoTheClown
Jun 23, 2006
One Man. One Way.
What's the general consensus on ITT Tech? I'm going to try and enroll for an Associates in Visual Communication.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
So I'm asking for some thoughts/comments/critiquing on my portfolio for college.

GPA - 2.4 (there's progressive improvement. But yeah, I screwed myself)
SAT - about a 1490

Portfolio (Submitted this to some colleges. May add more for upcoming)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at5JXm5AH9k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDBgyz78xTA

Here are the schools I'm applying to, and my judgment on about getting into them.
RISD - No, GPA
MassArts - Probably not, GPA
MICA - Probably not, GPA
Pratt - Maybe? Probably not..GPA
SVA - Pretty sure I can.
SAIC - Pretty sure I can.
SMFA - Pretty sure I can

Ive been seriously leaning on going into teaching for awhile, if not that, then I think my ideal art career would be something computer oriented - graphic design, advertising. If anyone would like to name drop a couple good additional schools to apply to, feel free. Any help on applying,my portfolio, or the such is welcome.

zaepg fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 31, 2009

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
I got into Pratt with flying colors with my 2.9 and 1380 (old SAT). But wait.. is that 1490 old math + verbal or is it the new score? If it's the former, congrats, if it's the latter, then you're pretty hosed.

I got rejected from RISD, though. That's super hard to get into. But I didn't apply to any of the others.

However, upward trend in grades is always helpful (mine was like this too), and the portfolio is much more important than grades anyhow. And with the portfolio, you could use some culling. I'd immediately take out the sketch pages, the portrait, and the newspaper thing. I'm no portfolio expert, but maybe replace it with something that really demonstrates your technical command of various media? And photograph your sculptures with better light and fix the white balance. And if you photographed these pieces, I'd adjust the exposure so that coloring and brightness is on par with how they appear in real life. Right now a lot of the stuff looks muddy and dim, a la inadequately lit photography. You need a gently caress ton of light for photographing artwork.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

zaepg posted:

So I'm asking for some thoughts/comments/critiquing on my portfolio for college.

GPA - 2.4 (there's progressive improvement. But yeah, I screwed myself)
SAT - about a 1490

Portfolio (Submitted this to some colleges. May add more for upcoming)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at5JXm5AH9k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDBgyz78xTA

You need to fix the title in that first YouTube video so it says "Portfolio Preview" and not "Portoflio Preivew".

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

Authentic You posted:

I got into Pratt with flying colors with my 2.9 and 1380 (old SAT). But wait.. is that 1490 old math + verbal or is it the new score? If it's the former, congrats, if it's the latter, then you're pretty hosed.
It's the later version. :ohdear:

Authentic You posted:

I'd immediately take out the sketch pages, the portrait, and the newspaper thing. I'm no portfolio expert, but maybe replace it with something that really demonstrates your technical command of various media?

Alright. I'll probably replace the Newspaper with the required RISD Bike drawing, the sketch page with a watercolor piece, and I'm not sure yet what should replace my self portrait piece...

Authentic You posted:

And photograph your sculptures with better light and fix the white balance. And if you photographed these pieces, I'd adjust the exposure so that coloring and brightness is on par with how they appear in real life. Right now a lot of the stuff looks muddy and dim, a la inadequately lit photography. You need a gently caress ton of light for photographing artwork.

Ok. I don't have access to these sculptures until break ends. So I'll have to make due for a couple of my portfolios. But Ill definitively see what Photoshop can improve.
Thanks for the tips

marshmallard posted:

You need to fix the title in that first YouTube video so it says "Portfolio Preview" and not "Portoflio Preivew".

Thanks for the catch.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Slashie posted:

They see potential in you but your manuscript as it stands isn't up to their standards. They want to see if you're capable of producing better work before they invest time and money in you. If you want to work with that agency, revise and resubmit. If you think your manuscript is better as it is, shop it around to other agencies and see if you can find one that likes it unchanged.

Thanks very much for your reply. :)
It gives me a renewed sense of confidence that a stranger saw the situation in a positive light.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

DannoMack posted:

Thanks very much for your reply. :)
It gives me a renewed sense of confidence that a stranger saw the situation in a positive light.

I'm glad! Which did you decide to do, revise or look elsewhere?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

GrazoTheClown posted:

What's the general consensus on ITT Tech? I'm going to try and enroll for an Associates in Visual Communication.

I've heard they teach mostly programs and completely miss the design aspect.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Slashie posted:

I'm glad! Which did you decide to do, revise or look elsewhere?

I am going to revise, because I feel as though it would be terribly arrogant of me to assume that my first manuscript is good enough all on its own.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

cheese eats mouse posted:

I've heard they teach mostly programs and completely miss the design aspect.

This seems to be fairly accurate. I've been going through intern applications for the past few weeks, and every single person who's coming from some sort of technical school clearly knows the applications but has zero understanding of any of the theory. In fact we had probably four or five specifically from ITT and their stuff was horrible. Maybe it's not the school's fault, but in every single intern search we've done it's the norm. In general the people with good portfolios are coming from universities and art schools.

Also, all the ITT people submit ugly rear end resumes written in Word with Times New Roman. You're applying for a DESIGN position. Is this really what you want someone to see? Really?

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?
I remember the ITT commercials from the 90s. That's reason enough to not give them any money. drat. Here you go: 1:14 on this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm-waT5zS1U

snackpants
Sep 3, 2009

Watch how fast I type "motherfucker."
First off I want to say this thread has been immensely interesting and informative. I'm constantly thinking about my future and am probably jumping the gun a little, seeing as I'm still in my first year of college. However I've come to start wondering about some things pertaining to my degree.

Illustration is a huge passion of mine and I'm currently in the BFA program at Carnegie Mellon (got into places like RISD, Syracuse, got rejected from Cooper Union... for the best, I think) and I'm sort of troubled by the fact that they don't have an explicitly stated illustration major. The closest thing to it is a Fine Arts degree in the Painting/Drawing/Printmaking subset. I'm probably going to apply for a fall transfer to the school's Bachelor of Humanities and Arts (writing and drawing) to widen my breadth, but I wonder if this is a bad decision and just takes me away from an illustration focus.

My main question is, and apologies if it's been discussed, but for when I get out of school (and I would like to go to graduate school, teaching is not out of my realm of possibilities either) would it really matter if my major were illustration or something similar to it? I'm going to try to make the most of my time here by focusing as much as I can on 2D media to get as close to an illustration focus as I can.

I'm sorry if it's a silly question, but as you might tell I'm still young and inexperienced. I tend to be both excited and petrified when considering future career prospects :unsmith:

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Depends on what you want to do after school I guess. If you're going to be freelancing literally no one will give a gently caress or ask if what your degree is in or if you have one because it'll be all about your work.

victrolaface
Aug 21, 2004
I'd just like general advice. Here's my website: http://roblovelett.com . I haven't really updated it since the beginning of 2008. Other things can be found here: http://roblovelett.com/blog . I'm a fairly recent graduate (2008) from Columbia College of Chicago with a bachelor's in Film/Video, specifically traditional animation. I currently live in Austin, Texas. I'd like to have a job where I was told to draw or animate a specific thing. Is there a title for that? Illustrator? Animator?

I've been extremely discouraged lately when it comes to work.

Any tips? Website redesign? Focus on an actual field? Change my resume? Apply at wal-mart? Don't bother sharing certain things? Help me.

victrolaface fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 5, 2010

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
Job Posting

I've posted for programmers before, this time its artists we're after. We are a small simulation / serious game company located in Orlando, FL. Instead of writing up something pretty I just got some requirements from our Art Director.

Interested and qualified people can e-mail me at pdriggett (AT) ecsorl (DOT) com

• 2 years professional 3D industry experience
  • Proficient in 3DSMax, preferably in low-poly real-time modeling
  • Strong Photoshop skills for photo manipulation and hand-painted texture work
  • Strong UV Mapping skills
  • Some experience with animation, rigging and/or organic modeling a plus
  • Architectural and static modeling skills
  • Experience with lighting and rendering, especially with MentalRay or equivalent rendering system
  • Portfolio and work examples REQUIRED for consideration
  • Local to Central Florida, or willing to relocate immediately (Feb 1st)

This is for immediate fill, so get in contact with me while its hot. They're doing interviews I type.

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
Don't worry about it...

Tactical Grace fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 16, 2010

Pantothenate
Nov 26, 2005

This is an art gallery, my friend--and this is art.
Okay, I'm having a little bit of a breakdown here. I graduated with a BA Hons in English and Creative Writing, did work-study for a publishing company for my last year and a half of uni that involved pretty much every aspect of publishing poetry and fiction, I've been published a couple of times myself, and I've just been blown off for a corporate comms job (producing literature and promotional junk for the new cancer centre for the hospital at which I'm currently pushing a mop) that seemed tailor-made for my drat qualifications.

The only job I've found, applied for, and gotten any nibbles on has been a journalism spot way out in a tiny town in the praeries, which is less-than-ideal--not that it matters, because I received an email requesting my number for a telephone interview, and then heard neither hide nor hair after I replied.

I know that there are some denizens of the publishing industry around here. My ideal job is to work on something--anything--to do with the publishing process, in any way shape or form--books, newspapers, online news/blog sites, etc. I've been plugging away at the market off-and-on for almost two years now, and the only positive feed back I've gotten one bleedin' 'maybe'.

Boo hoo hooery aside, I do have a few legitimate questions: I've seen a couple of editing jobs posted, but I've never seen any postings to do with acquisitions, nor have I seen any postings within literary agencies. Hell, I've only seen one or two positions within non-textbook publishing companies as well. Is this just because the market is absolutely flooded with applicants? How do current agents, acquisitions editors, etceteras, get their start? Do you have to no somebody? Do most companies just poach interns out of universities?

Also, I've seen a whole rotting mess of positions for managers, directors, coordinators, and other various leadership positions within corporate communications departments, but I've very, very rarely seen any postings for anything even remotely close to entry-level. Like the FYAD forum title says, "where are the jobs. where are they. also, what is your favorite food"

I'm Canadian, currently living just outside of Toronto, and have both resident status in the US and absolutely no problem uprooting and relocating to anywhere (provided it's remotely close to civilization and below the arctic tree line, which is surprisingly limiting with Canadian entry-level journalism positions). I've been using Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board for most of my job hunting--Monster and Workopolis have both proven pretty drat useless for my field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Pantothenate posted:

Do you have to no somebody?

You might want to work on your proofreading if you want to be an editor!

Seriously though, if the job writing promotional leaflets and stuff appealed to you, then you should consider being an advertising/marketing copywriter. I work in a direct and digital marketing agency as a writer myself, and it involves authoring anything from instruction booklets to posters to websites to emails to letters for various well-known brands to send to their customers.

What kind of agency you'd be good for depends on what you like to write. There are two kinds of copywriters, really - the ones who write lots and lots of words, and the ones who write headlines and come up with ideas mostly. Unless you want to form a team of two with an Art Director and come up with ad ideas yourself, it sounds like you want to be the first kind.

So, basically, start looking into copywriting - there's loads of stuff on the web - and start writing creative and interesting letters/emails/mailpacks to marketing agencies near you. Show off your writing skills and your tenacity, ask for placements, ask to just come in and talk to them, anything to get a foot in the door.

Getting your first copywriting job can be quite hard, but genuinely good writers who actually want to write and not create whole ads are quite rare in the industry these days, so you shouldn't find it impossible.