Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

scuz posted:

In that case, cut all of your mids,

noooo :byodood:

If you want to be like most metal bass players, and have a sound completely indistinguishable from the guitar, cut out all your mids. If you want to be heard distinctly, you'll need mids (and probably a bit of middy grit, like from an overdriven SVT or sansamp - not fuzz.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

warwick5s posted:

noooo :byodood:

If you want to be like most metal bass players, and have a sound completely indistinguishable from the guitar, cut out all your mids. If you want to be heard distinctly, you'll need mids (and probably a bit of middy grit, like from an overdriven SVT or sansamp - not fuzz.)
I didn't wanna recommend that for the very reasons you just mentioned, (and I suggested first to bump up the mids) but that seems to be what he's looking for, and who are we to judge other people's taste in bass tonality? :haw:

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
Buh? If I cut my mids, I'll sound like Fieldy, but I'll also be indistinguishable from the guitars?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Why the gently caress would anyone want to sound like Fieldy?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Duck and burger posted:

Buh? If I cut my mids, I'll sound like Fieldy, but I'll also be indistinguishable from the guitars?
Exactly. Mid-range frequencies are the best way to be heard in the band.

Scarf posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone want to sound like Fieldy?
I dunno either :(

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
I haven't really listened to or liked Korn since I was in, like, middle school, but what's wrong with Fieldy? I think he sounds pretty unique and distinguishable from the 7 stringers.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Duck and burger posted:

I haven't really listened to or liked Korn since I was in, like, middle school, but what's wrong with Fieldy? I think he sounds pretty unique and distinguishable from the 7 stringers.
In my youth I thought Korn was pretty neat and owned all of their albums (they're all gone now yay). The only bass sounds I remember hearing were the "clack clack clack" of the strings hitting the pickups and frets, not actual notes.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
As a metal player myself, if you cut your mids you won't be heard in a band. You can be FELT, and that's what a lot of metal bassists do- and nothing wrong with that if that's your goal, but you need higher frequencies if you want to stand out. I myself have a very sharp attack and play fast with my right hand so I need the mids in order to be heard.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

NarkyBark posted:

As a metal player myself, if you cut your mids you won't be heard in a band. You can be FELT, and that's what a lot of metal bassists do- and nothing wrong with that if that's your goal, but you need higher frequencies if you want to stand out. I myself have a very sharp attack and play fast with my right hand so I need the mids in order to be heard.

I somewhat disagree completely with the "felt" part. The low-mids are where it's all felt imo, other than say below 40hz when it's drat near impossible to hear anything anyway.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

scuz posted:

In my youth I thought Korn was pretty neat and owned all of their albums (they're all gone now yay). The only bass sounds I remember hearing were the "clack clack clack" of the strings hitting the pickups and frets, not actual notes.

Haha, well, that's a bit harsh! I like the clack, but a more full-spectrum sound might be nice, yes. Whatever I end up sitting with, I just don't wanna sound like And Justice for All. :(

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I think these were posted in the humor thread before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b9lWilo26I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvTWHkylZag

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Duck and burger posted:

Haha, well, that's a bit harsh! I like the clack, but a more full-spectrum sound might be nice, yes. Whatever I end up sitting with, I just don't wanna sound like And Justice for All. :(
Can't find a decent version on YouTube so I dunno what the bass sounds like on that song.

Okay, what this boils down to is that you haven't even played in a band setting as a bassist yet, correct? Try what you like and if it doesn't work, come back to us and say stuff like "yes, you're right I can't hear myself" or "gently caress you guys I sound fine." We can sit here and make fun of you all day, but if you like your sound, ain't none of us gon' change yo mind. :)

Scarf posted:

baaaaaahahahahaha it sounds so much worse than I remember it how is that possible?

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I feel like I'm in Guitar Center now.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
In other news, I just found out that no matter what I'm gonna do with regards to my cabinet situation, buying a new cabinet is very far down the road. That sort of allows me to put a larger price tag on whatever I decide to get, which is where you guys come in. :)

The 800RB I have currently isn't going anywhere until it dies, and when it does, it will be quickly replaced by another 800RB. I love this amp and I love its tone. What I want are more speakers, and while the Avatar 2x12 I have is doing the trick at the moment, the 800RB definitely wants more drivers to move around. My sights had been set originally on a 6 or 8x10 cabinet, but it wasn't a logistical possibility, mostly due to weight. Then I thought "oh hey I'll just build one" but that didn't really turn out to be as cost-effective as I would have liked. Now I'm looking again at the 6 or 8x10 option because this purchase is so far down the road (talking months, maybe a year) and my ability to transport something that large will more than likely have changed for the better. I'm not ruling out a 4x12 either, largely due to warwick5s's rousing endorsement.

Money is no concern, nor is size. The genres that I play (or will be playing) are going to be rock-like, maybe punk, maybe some folksy stuff for good measure, but definitely rock.

Sorry to ask such a nebulous question, but I've been kicking it around for literally months now and am getting tired of my own indecision.

:love:

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

scuz posted:

Can't find a decent version on YouTube so I dunno what the bass sounds like on that song.

it sounds completely pushed out of the mix.

quote:

Okay, what this boils down to is that you haven't even played in a band setting as a bassist yet, correct? Try what you like and if it doesn't work, come back to us and say stuff like "yes, you're right I can't hear myself" or "gently caress you guys I sound fine." We can sit here and make fun of you all day, but if you like your sound, ain't none of us gon' change yo mind. :)
baaaaaahahahahaha it sounds so much worse than I remember it how is that possible?

Haha, they clearly don't give a gently caress, wow. Also that's a solo in only the most literal definition. :barf:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The most cost effective seems to be buying used on CL, there's tons of decent 4x10 cabs listed around $200 where I live.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Duck and burger posted:

it sounds completely pushed out of the mix.
If you don't want to be pushed out, mids are your best friend. You can't really have it both ways.

A MIRACLE posted:

The most cost effective seems to be buying used on CL, there's tons of decent 4x10 cabs listed around $200 where I live.
Not around here, sadly. There's just the same SWR Triad cabinet that the guy wants too much for (~$800). Also I don't really think I WANT to get anything new at the moment, unless it's another Avatar 2x12. That'll be sorta messy though since I'll have to trade my existing cabinet away for an 8-ohm version, and that will more than likely involve shipping this thing :smithicide:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
SWR Triad is one of the worst cabs I've ever played through (and unfortunately I owned it for a while.) Sounds pretty nice at low volume but completely shits out when you put power into it. I melted both speakers in it twice. Sucks.

As for your Avatar - why not just buy the speakers to convert your 4ohm cab into an 8ohm and sell the speakers on TB?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

warwick5s posted:

SWR Triad is one of the worst cabs I've ever played through (and unfortunately I owned it for a while.) Sounds pretty nice at low volume but completely shits out when you put power into it. I melted both speakers in it twice. Sucks.

As for your Avatar - why not just buy the speakers to convert your 4ohm cab into an 8ohm and sell the speakers on TB?
Since the cab is on craigslist every single day, I always kicked around the idea, then decided firmly against it. It probably hasn't sold for a reason (lovely cabinet) and I don't want a side-grade at this point.

I emailed Dave at Avatar regarding converting this 4-ohm to an 8-ohm and he said I couldn't do it because the speakers he has in there are 2-ohm or something like that. How much does THAT suck? I think it sucks a lot.

The speakers that Dave loads up are custom Eminence DeltaLites so I might be able to cajole him into selling me the replacement drivers, otherwise I'll probably just sell this one off and buy two new B212Ns in different colors :3: As much as I like rat fur and expanded metal grills (not at all) I greatly prefer grill cloth.

Edit: Just looked at the price for two B212Ns with tolex and grill cloth and it's around the price of the Aguilar GS412, so probably just gonna swap out these drivers and get another B212N if that's the best route versus a 6/8x10.

scuz fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 8, 2009

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Scarf posted:

That's very inspiring because no matter how bad I am at bass, I know I will never sound like that.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The first one would sound a lot better if he EQ'd his bass differently. The second one sounds like something I made up a month after my mom bought me a Squier P-bass in junior high

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl
is there a way to get a dirty kind of jesus lizard/nomeansno sound out of a sansamp programmable BDDI? i got it as a gift and while its very cool i don't have any instructions or idea with how to hone in on a sound.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

STINKFACE posted:

is there a way to get a dirty kind of jesus lizard/nomeansno sound out of a sansamp programmable BDDI? i got it as a gift and while its very cool i don't have any instructions or idea with how to hone in on a sound.
What have you tried so far? Also you should be using a pick if you're going for nomeansno. Anyway, Rob Wright's sound is all mids, overdrive, p-bass and pick. But since I don't see a "high mids" or indeed any mids knobs on the BDDI, you have to use your amp get around that. Just keep the eq on the pedal set to noon and boost the high-mids on your amp. I haven't listened to Jesus Lizard so I have no idea.

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005

scuz posted:

What have you tried so far? Also you should be using a pick if you're going for nomeansno. Anyway, Rob Wright's sound is all mids, overdrive, p-bass and pick. But since I don't see a "high mids" or indeed any mids knobs on the BDDI, you have to use your amp get around that. Just keep the eq on the pedal set to noon and boost the high-mids on your amp. I haven't listened to Jesus Lizard so I have no idea.

Here's a quick vid (well not quick but the bass comes in immediately):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW8UUKqQGO4

It's still overdriven and picked but David Wm. Sims uses a Jazz bass (or a Jazz copy) and a RAT pedal. Also the Ampeg SVT but that's not really applicable here...

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

What's a good starting point if I have access to a full woodshop and want to make my own custom bass? I haven't drawn up a design yet, but my favorite bass is a tie between the Rickenbacker 4003 and the Fender jaguar, so I'll probably build something that looks kind of like that

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Scarf posted:

I am so angry that this talentless rear end in a top hat is making his living off music, and I'm not.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Harvest Goon posted:

Here's a quick vid (well not quick but the bass comes in immediately):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW8UUKqQGO4

It's still overdriven and picked but David Wm. Sims uses a Jazz bass (or a Jazz copy) and a RAT pedal. Also the Ampeg SVT but that's not really applicable here...
Oh durr now I remember. There was a picture of his rig somewhere with a rat and a big ol' tube amp. I have no idea how you'd be able to get that from a BDDI.

A MIRACLE posted:

What's a good starting point if I have access to a full woodshop and want to make my own custom bass? I haven't drawn up a design yet, but my favorite bass is a tie between the Rickenbacker 4003 and the Fender jaguar, so I'll probably build something that looks kind of like that
Just make a slab in whatever shape you want, it'll all be just as difficult since the shapes are pretty straightforward. The tough parts (I could imagine) are the comfort contours. Are you planning on building a neck as well?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I want to do a neck-through body but I'm still figuring out the details on the truss rod. Is there typically a truss-rod on a neck-through configuration?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

I want to do a neck-through body but I'm still figuring out the details on the truss rod. Is there typically a truss-rod on a neck-through configuration?
Yessir, there is. Neck-through construction isn't to get around having a truss rod but for (in my mind) ease of access to higher frets and sustain/tone. I'm no luthier but the truss rod is generally routed for, placed, and then the fretboard goes over it. The other way is to go from the back but cutting the stripe can be tricky (it would be for me anyway).

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

That clears up quite a bit about the truss rod, and doesn't sound tough, especially with my amateur-carpenter father helping. I'll post some sketches when I get an idea for the design. I want it for mostly rock bass playing and I think I'm going with a single passive Seymour Duncan QP. Is Warmoth a reputable parts retailer?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

That clears up quite a bit about the truss rod, and doesn't sound tough, especially with my amateur-carpenter father helping. I'll post some sketches when I get an idea for the design. I want it for mostly rock bass playing and I think I'm going with a single passive Seymour Duncan QP. Is Warmoth a reputable parts retailer?
Warmoth is okay, as is StewMac, but StewMac can get kinda pricy. I honestly have no idea where to get parts from; I am ashamed. The Tinkeritis thread had a whole list but it's lost to the archives by now :(

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
You should check out the luthier/builders forum over on Talkbass.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
I feel like after I watched those korn videos (and many of you did also) we need to lift our spirits.

So I present to you, a Flea and John solo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v3t4AK8FmQ

this is so beautiful. my god. The riff at 1:45 is like classical bass thumping, anybody know where that riff comes from?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Bass solos have never appealed to me. One of the reasons I began playing bass (and maybe the biggest one) is so I wouldn't have to worry about the spotlight, so while I respect their skills, I don't aspire to anything like that.

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl
i always thought fugazi had some really incredible bass, on their last album in particular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNcAzfGFsk8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA8a2BwGlYU

the fugazi rhythm section is on a whole different plane, though

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

scuz posted:

Bass solos have never appealed to me. One of the reasons I began playing bass (and maybe the biggest one) is so I wouldn't have to worry about the spotlight, so while I respect their skills, I don't aspire to anything like that.

I've always appreciated the foundational feeling. There's some really good solo bass stuff out there, but moving firmly up to guitar range doesn't exploit the most unique power of the instrument..

I settled on a boosted low-mids, boosted treble dual-tone, btw! The line6 Sub Dub tone has fantastic clarity in the sub-contra.

Reaganomicon
Jan 31, 2004

Flush please
Does anyone have any opinions on acoustic bass guitars? I'm just thinking of getting into bass, after having played guitar for a couple years and enjoying it.

For whatever reason, my preference is acoustic guitars versus electric, even though I'm not hugely into folk music. I guess I just hate dealing with amps and cables and whatnot. Is there anything "wrong" with acoustic bass guitars? This is just something that I want to start learning bass with, jam with my dad and generally get a feel for the instrument. I've seen YouTube videos of acoustic basses and they seem plenty loud... I guess what I'm asking is, is there some huge pitfall to acoustic bass guitars that I'm not seeing?

If I stick with it, and I'm thinking I will, I would definitely not be averse to purchasing a good Jazz or Precision down the line.

Reaganomicon fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 9, 2009

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
edit: Dave got back to me; two 12" drivers will be $195 + $12 shipping. Now the problem is who's gonna buy these OTHER drivers? Maybe I can make a couple monitors or something, I dunno.

Reaganomicon posted:

Does anyone have any opinions on acoustic bass guitars? I'm just thinking of getting into bass, after having played guitar for a couple years and enjoying it.

For whatever reason, my preference is acoustic guitars versus electric, even though I'm not hugely into folk music. I guess I just hate dealing with amps and cables and whatnot. Is there anything "wrong" with acoustic bass guitars? This is just something that I want to start learning bass with, jam with my dad and generally get a feel for the instrument. I've seen YouTube videos of acoustic basses and they seem plenty loud... I guess what I'm asking is, is there some huge pitfall to acoustic bass guitars that I'm not seeing?

If I stuck with it, and I'm thinking I will, I would definitely not be averse to purchasing a good Jazz or Precision down the line.
There aren't a whole lot of readily-available choices for acoustic basses that aren't full uprights. His name escapes me, but the bass player for the Violent Femmes played a mariachi bass which sounded just fine to me.

The general grievance with acoustic basses is that while they're sorta loud on their own, they can't compete with acoustic guitars without any kind of amplification. The only acoustic bass that I really have any experience with is the Tacoma Thunderchief (which is being discontinued IIRC) and it was way too big to be comfortable for me (I'm 6'7" for referrence) and the other people in the acoustic room playing guitars were drowning me out from half-way across the room.

Why do you hate dealing with amps? Reliability issues? Bulk?

scuz fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 9, 2009

Dr. John
Dec 4, 2007
WORLD'S SHITTIEST SECRET SANTA
I'm by no means an expert on the subject, but I tried out a friend's Alvarez acoustic-electric bass the other day and was overall pretty pleased with it. Scuz is right, you're going to be drowned out by an acoustic guitar without some form of amplification, but I had no problems with its size. It's a really solid instrument on it's own right, if I had the money to throw around I'd pick one up for my collection. It's decently loud if you slap or use a pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
I own an acoustic bass that I bought off of Craigslist for $100, and it is basically for practicing by myself, and coming up with new basslines. It's an acoustic electric, so if I wanted to gig or practice with my band with it I could, but I prefer my electric.

As for playing with another acoustic guitar, its kinda hard to hear. The lows just don't stand out as much as they should, and thats what a bass is meant for. Though when I start popping and slapping in an acoustic session, that is when I am heard. But as soon as I go back to fingerstyle, I am back down to barely can be heard.

Its fun to mess around with but don't make it your main bass.. I'd say go for it.