Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
My roommate at the time watched me play Symphonia 2. The moment he heard that music that plays as you rest at an inn he looked at me and said, "Dude this game is going to suck isn't it?"

He couldn't be more right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Tales of Graces just got its famitsu review, 9/9/9/9. The only useful things I got out of the review is that it is crazy fast and action-y compared to normal Tales combat, and that the load times after combat are a little long.

edit: I still can't figure out how combat works though, A and B both do different kinds of normals now, so how do you do special attacks?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 2, 2009

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
IIRC someone mentioned that the specials happen as you build up combos or something.

Any word on whether or not the US will get Vesperia PS3?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

wdarkk posted:

IIRC someone mentioned that the specials happen as you build up combos or something.

Probably not for awhile, aside from the little rumblings of cast work and such. It just came out in Europe and I don't think Namco wants to piss off those people right just yet, knowing them it'll probably hold until Summer 2010 or something.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

wdarkk posted:

That would make sense, according to the 2ch faq there is definitely a progression of attacks and how much capacity they take up. Still, some of the "attacks" are healing and buffing and stuff, what if you don't need it but you have to do it anyway to access other abilities?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Policenaut posted:

It just came out in Europe and I don't think Namco wants to piss off those people right just yet

The 360 version came out here six months ago. If the complete silence about PS3 localisation really is intended to avoid pissing us off, then they've failed pretty badly at that. :argh:

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Tales of Graces just got its famitsu review, 9/9/9/9. The only useful things I got out of the review is that it is crazy fast and action-y compared to normal Tales combat, and that the load times after combat are a little long.

edit: I still can't figure out how combat works though, A and B both do different kinds of normals now, so how do you do special attacks?

A/B ARE the special attacks. A button attacks use the newfangled "tier" system I posted an explanation about a page or two back. The B button is the traditional arte button, with artes assignable to 4 directions and B just like the other Tales games.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
So what's the regular attack mapped to, waggle?

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
There isn't a "regular" normal attack in Graces. As far as I know the closest there is to a normal attack is an unnamed arte that costs 1 CC, that triggers during certain situations such as trying to go up a tier in your A button artes without enough CC or when you switch from A to B button artes in a single combo. Thankfully your CC points regenerate and the maximum amount increases when you fufil certain conditions in battle, so it's not like you'll be constantly using items to restore it.

I think this might be the most confusing battle system ever seen in a Tales game, except maybe Rebirth or Destiny PS2.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 2, 2009

FSLink
Nov 6, 2009

BurningCourage posted:

There isn't a "regular" normal attack in Graces. As far as I know the closest there is to a normal attack is an unnamed arte that costs 1 CC, that triggers during certain situations such as trying to go up a tier in your A button artes without enough CC or when you switch from A to B button artes in a single combo. Thankfully your CC points regenerate and the maximum amount increases when you fufil certain conditions in battle, so it's not like you'll be constantly using items to restore it.

I think this might be the most confusing battle system ever seen in a Tales game, except maybe Rebirth or Destiny PS2.
Probably for the best, there is honestly no reason to use a normal attack in the Tales games that have CC when you could just use artes instead.

Huh, I didn't think Destiny PS2 was very confusing...watching the gameplay on YouTube, yeah it was weird for me to understand, but actually playing it makes everything just "click". Moves uses CC, CC bar goes down, wait a bit, CC bar refills. And critical hits and certain skills regain CC. Not too difficult.
Graces looks similar except you can't use artes in any order you want, though I'd bet that you'd be able to do it in any order by end game so it'd be like Destiny PS2.

Rebirth's battle system...yeah that was just really confusing, I think I've forgotten how half the systems work in that game by now. :psyduck:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
All I remember about Rebirth is how quickly and utterly devastatingly the enemy could switch lines, get behind your front line fighters, wreck the poo poo out of your casters.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So Symphonia 2 hit UK stores a few weeks ago (not that I'd know. the distro has been, from what I heard from people in the know, horrendous. Two copies at Game, Buchanan Galleries, Glasgow. I'm not loving kidding)

I'd like the game better if the ratio of Dungeons with horrid puzzles that seem to make no sence in hell (ISALIA HUMAN RANCH! :argh:) to funny skits about Tenabrae being both the best character in the whole game and a complete rear end in a top hat was skewed in favour of Skits.

Also, I'm getting rather pissed off at the rules of monster collection. If I spend the time and half my TP bar getting the element grid set up to get the monster, I should get the monster, not have it loving run off for no understandable reason. It's not like Persona here there's a level you need to be to get a fusion monster, I'm just getting told, "Nah, I'm out, Peace, Knight of Ratatosk."

Ugh, and there's so much good stuff here and all it's doing is making me wish the New Play Control series included 3rd party titles such that Tales Of Symphonia could get a remake.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Is anyone here going to buy/import Tales of Graces? It releases in about a week and looks definitely better than Symphonia 2, which is a huge boost of confidence in my book.

Still interested in seeing how each character uses their dual fighting capabilities.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm waiting for the US release (if any)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'll probably import it someday, but FFXIII is a higher priority. I'm still not finished with Vesperia anyway.

Oh, Vesperia question: I'm at the point where I can take quests, but are those quests and details about them (like, what the hell I was supposed to be doing) being recorded anywhere? Maybe I'm just spoiled by western RPGs that always have a detailed quests and completed quests section.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'll probably import it someday, but FFXIII is a higher priority. I'm still not finished with Vesperia anyway.

Oh, Vesperia question: I'm at the point where I can take quests, but are those quests and details about them (like, what the hell I was supposed to be doing) being recorded anywhere? Maybe I'm just spoiled by western RPGs that always have a detailed quests and completed quests section.

There are a finite number of guild quests that all blend together into one bigger sidequest, but finding them is not very easy.

Actually, finding sidequests in Vesperia isn't that easy at all unless you follow Kouli's guide, in my opinion.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've seriously made my playthrough of Vesperia 1000 times more enjoyable by completely ignoring sidequests and secret missions except for those that I find on my own anyway. If and when I go through the game again with all kinds of shiny things turned on via grade purchasing, then I will worry about the minute poo poo that I need a guide for.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Ah, you mean like the journal system of PC D&D / Bioware games? I don't think Tales games ever record stuff like that except for the Synopsis which records plot developments.

If you plan to do the sidequests I'd suggest printing out a GameFAQS guide and marking things off as you go.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Vyse_23 posted:

Actually, finding sidequests in Vesperia isn't that easy at all unless you follow Kouli's guide, in my opinion.

Most of the endgame ones are fairly easy to find but there's a lot of missable ones.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Mokinokaro posted:

Most of the endgame ones are fairly easy to find but there's a lot of missable ones.

And, as most people say, it's better to go through the first time flying by the seat of your pants, then hit every sidequest in your second playthrough.

Rowyn
Nov 29, 2007

wdarkk posted:

So far while I have to say I like Abyss's characterization better than Symphonia's (having six characters rather than eight probably helps a lot) the world stuff seems a lot less, well, compelling.

The fact that the names seem to come from the International Fantasy Naming Committee isn't helping.

Are you talking about the town and country names? Because most of those come from or are at least variants off names from the same origin. I thought it was quite a clever tie in, actually. I mean it's not really any farther a stretch than Ysdriggil or the like being included.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rowyn posted:

Are you talking about the town and country names? Because most of those come from or are at least variants off names from the same origin. I thought it was quite a clever tie in, actually. I mean it's not really any farther a stretch than Ysdriggil or the like being included.

Weren't they all names taken from the Kabbalah? I seem to recall the positions of the towns were set up the same way as well.

edit:
Yup.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

And for reference: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/929343/45453

Clever.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Weren't they all names taken from the Kabbalah? I seem to recall the positions of the towns were set up the same way as well.

edit:
Yup.

Respect for Abyss ++.

EDIT: Anyone have a list of the bugs you get running ToA from a hard drive? There's this one wolf I know about, but supposedly there's 1-2 more.

Rowyn
Nov 29, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

edit:
Yup.

Yeah, I wasn't quite sure how spoilery it was to outright say it.

The Qliphoth and Sephiroth references were my first real indicator to check it out. Then the rest really fell into place.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Tales of Graces drops soon, someone out there already has it and spoilers are slowly coming out. First of all, here's the Grade Shop rewards from Lunar Eclipse on the official Tales board:

Title Transfer | 30
Mastery Skill Transfer | 1500
Arles Pot Transfer | 70
Gald Transfer | 270
Preferred Customer Stamp Transfer | 30
Arte Usage Transfer | 50
Book Transfer | 10
Battle Item Transfer | 60
Item Fragment Transfer | 90
Herb Growth Transfer | 70
EXP / Gald Conversion | 50
EXP x2 | 90
EXP x5 | 300
EXP x0.5 | 10
Skill Points x2 | 200
Skill Points x3 | 800
Itsuka Mita Mastery (?) | 20
Item Obtainment Rate x2 | 120
Duarise Price x0.25 | 100
Energy Pot Performance Boost | 50
Increase Item Limit | 100
Maximum Speed | 50
Chain Capacity +1 | 30
Chain Capacity +2 | 200
Critical Rate x2 | 30
Damage x2 | 30
Damage x5 | 150
Gald Reward x2 | 70
Release Inherent Properties (?) | 50
Kamenin / Turtlez Transfer | 50
Maximum Energy +500 | 100
Maximum HP +1000 | 150

Also according to a Japanese blog Free Run IS in Graces, but it's a skill you have to earn and takes up a huge amount of Chain Capacity meter to use it. A picture of the final boss is floating around (here if you're curious and feel like spoiling yourself). Also the guy translating Tales of Hearts has progressed a bit with his work, with more screenshots being posted. I would post them here but you can all go here instead. :effort:

edit: expect you can't right now because the Tales board has gone down for the millionth loving time this year!

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 8, 2009

Eddain
May 6, 2007

BurningCourage posted:

Grade Shop list

Everything looks surprisingly cheap compared to older Tales games, and the EXP x10 is mysteriously missing. Perhaps the Damage x5 is meant to make up for that? Or does that actually mean you'd take x5 the damage in combat?

Lot of new and interesting things to buy, though. Preferred Customer Stamp sounds like a membership card where you get discounts after spending X amount of gold in a shop.

WingsOfSteel
Nov 13, 2007

Even Dr. Octopus can learn something from the Internet!

Eddain posted:

Perhaps the Damage x5 is meant to make up for that? Or does that actually mean you'd take x5 the damage in combat?

No, the stuff that works against you, like 0.5 EXP is always really cheap.

Stow
Feb 14, 2004
Have they said anything about the PS3 Vesperia being localized anywhere yet? I was figuring since Star Ocean International got a date and the sales of the PS3 version were through the roof, they'd at least consider it.

Then again, bandai namco america hates tales fans...

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Stow posted:

Have they said anything about the PS3 Vesperia being localized anywhere yet? I was figuring since Star Ocean International got a date and the sales of the PS3 version were through the roof, they'd at least consider it.

Then again, bandai namco america hates tales fans...

No word, blatantly obvious it will happen, all there is to do is wait.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Have we ever gotten one of the remakes before?

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Cydonia posted:

Have we ever gotten one of the remakes before?

Only Eternal Sonata for PS3. Tales, no.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Anyone know when Tales of Graces will be localized? My guess is Tales of Vesperia PS3 will hit NA/EU at least 4-6 months before Tales of Graces, just so Namco can keep us occupied with stuff as they work on something else. It wouldn't make sense to localize two Tales games on different systems at the same time.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Nobody knows when, but the theme song for the game has an English language version cut to the opening theme version of the track, so a localisation itslf is pretty likely at least. Dunno why else they would do that. Also I have no idea what the gently caress this thing is but it's a boss in Graces somehow

Also also people watching streams spotted a retry option after losing a boss fight. God knows why it's taken so long to get that feature in there/

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 10, 2009

FSLink
Nov 6, 2009

BurningCourage posted:

Nobody knows when, but the theme song for the game has an English language version cut to the opening theme version of the track, so a localisation itslf is pretty likely at least. Dunno why else they would do that. Also I have no idea what the gently caress this thing is but it's a boss in Graces somehow

Also also people watching streams spotted a retry option after losing a boss fight. God knows why it's taken so long to get that feature in there/
Destiny remake also had that feature. And I believe most Team Destiny games had scene skip features, or holding a few buttons would make the messages go by really fast. They know how to polish a game.
I'm pretty sure that Tales games are usually announced for localizations around the Spring, so let's hope Graces gets brought over here...and not Tales of VS or something dumb. Vesperia PS3 would be a nice bonus, but that seems unlikely as the VAs don't seem to know anything about it, plus we haven't ever gotten any of the ports/remakes of a Tales game aside from Phantasia GBA (and Europe got Eternia PSP).

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
The Wii bundle with Tales of Graces is now available at PlayAsia. Cameo bosses are Veigue from Tales of Rebirth, Kohaku from Tales of Hearts and Reala from Tales of Destiny 2, ie characters that most people outside of Japan won't know or care about. Also there are Idolmaster and Hatsune Mike costumes avaliable as DLC or something.

Head here for Kouli's (I think anyway) playthrough of Graces, Obviously, it'll be spoiler central especially if you know Japanese.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
That Tales of Graces stream shows off some cool combat artes. Sidestep looks to be well-done and actually lets you avoid enemies and hit them from behind.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

How the hell do you do DLC on the Wii? I thought that you couldn't patch stuff.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

wdarkk posted:

How the hell do you do DLC on the Wii? I thought that you couldn't patch stuff.

My guess is you can save DLC onto SD cards or something and the game checks for DLC data on internal flash and SD storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

DLC on Wii is nothing new, Rock Band has been using it for ages (and I think games like MM9 had it as well?)