Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

nm posted:

They should be, they're Glassavids or however you spell that name.

Yeah, they're Gislaved Nord Frost copies, but half the price :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

dayman posted:

Well, I'm getting out of the tuner subaru game. My car is going on the block in about a month after I fix the clutch.

Next stop: 05-06 Pontiac GTO

I'll get back into subarus eventually. The GC body style remains one of my favorite Japanese car designs ever. It's just going to be difficult with me starting a job soon to spend so much time performing repairs and tuning. Plus, the GTO will actually get better highway mileage.

I'll still have my beater though:

You're going to miss it heavily.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f4/t61226-never-back-down-never-give.html

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Redline shockproof is a lot cheaper and available from Summit. I live in central FL where the temp today was 70 degrees. It never ever drops below freezing and usually isnt cold for mroe than a day or two. Would it be worth it to pay $88.25 for 3qts redline/2 motul 300 vs getting 5qts redline for $64.70?

EDIT:

Qty Item Price
5 RED-58404 - Gear Lube, Shockproof Lightweight Gear Oil, 75W80, Synthetic, 1 qt, Each $54.75
Shipping & Handling (Ground) : $9.95
Tax (FL) : $0.00
Total: $64.70

Cheapest price I found was at summit after shipping.

AnomalousBoners fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 9, 2009

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I just bought a jug of valvolene for $15. Works fine in my 160k mile 5-speed.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
So today in MI, we are having a snowstorm. I want to say thanks to my AWD Subaru and snow tires. On a 5 minute drive home I saw 3 accidents (2 were SUVs), a V6 Mustang that couldn't move forward without sliding out, and a Saab in a telephone pole.

I only slid once, and just a small slide at that.

gently caress yeah Subaru!

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

cmorrow001 posted:

So today in MI, we are having a snowstorm. I want to say thanks to my AWD Subaru and snow tires. On a 5 minute drive home I saw 3 accidents (2 were SUVs), a V6 Mustang that couldn't move forward without sliding out, and a Saab in a telephone pole.

Where in MI?

proudfoot
Jul 17, 2006
Yak! Look! a Yak!
Question: Why does the new Subaru Legacy get better gas mileage than the Impreza? The Legacy is larger and, presumably heavier. They also have identical 2.5is.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

proudfoot posted:

Question: Why does the new Subaru Legacy get better gas mileage than the Impreza? The Legacy is larger and, presumably heavier. They also have identical 2.5is.
CVT and possibly gearing

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The base Legacy is only 200lbs heavier than a base Impreza anyways. So, it's probably all the CVT there.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

:haw:

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

96 Impreza with this:

"There is a minor problem, the AWD light is on; there is a small leak in the AWD oil line. It doesn't affect driving at all, just no All wheel drive. Other than that, no problems!"

What could be the issue and how much would it cost to fix it? Worth the hassle? Is the oil line unrelated to non-functional awd? Is there a better way to narrow down that issue? I'd like a cheap winter car if an inexpensive fix is possible.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's no such thing as an "AWD Oil Line" on a Subaru.

If the AWD light is on, that means it's an automatic. The center differental that controls the AWD system is bolted on and shares fluid with the transmission. If there is fluid leaking, it's transmission fluid.

The AWD light being on could be something as simple as an electrical fault which is disabling the system or a mechanical fault which is going to involve some transmission related work.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Wasn't there a solenoid that liked to go on those older 4EAT automatics? It was called solenoid B or something.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

bull3964 posted:

There's no such thing as an "AWD Oil Line" on a Subaru.

If the AWD light is on, that means it's an automatic. The center differental that controls the AWD system is bolted on and shares fluid with the transmission. If there is fluid leaking, it's transmission fluid.

The AWD light being on could be something as simple as an electrical fault which is disabling the system or a mechanical fault which is going to involve some transmission related work.

Yep, its an automatic. Is the light just the hey-your-awd-isnt-working idiot light?

My brief googleing says solenoid C is the little guy that likes to go out back there. Would low fluid cause this? I would assume it would just work until it drained and seized up instead of progressively disabling itself? Someone said replacing the fluid can sometimes clear up issues like this.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
the awd light is on? I don't think there is an awd light. there is a fwd light you can turn on by putting a fuse in the right place.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

jamal posted:

the awd light is on? I don't think there is an awd light. there is a fwd light you can turn on by putting a fuse in the right place.

I think you're right, and this is a good point. If the owner has disabled the AWD with the fuse something might be up south of the transmission. Hell I'm not even sure if its worth bothering if they've disabled AWD since Subaru specifically tells you to never drive it like that for anything more than a test drive or limping to a shop on the donut.

I believe the fuse turns the electronic clutch in the transmission tailshaft up to full slip, which is not its usual configuration. Usually its always transmitting power, even under light cruising.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

ab0z posted:

Where in MI?

Kalamazoo

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Yeah, the entire description of the problems never made much sense to me even in my limited knowledge gleaned through this thread and the basic info I dug up when trying to research what he listed as wrong. Is fwd only mode really that potentially damaging to the transmission if left on and is it really only user enabled? The car can't throw some codes that causes it to automatically be enabled?

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

TurboLuvah posted:

How I missed that, I'll never know.

I know how you're feeling about the car, trust me. But please, take a little time and possibly reconsider. That has been your dream car for as long as I have known you, it's all you ever talked about, and you finally got it all together. Yeah there are some niggling problems, and yeah, a 6.0 GTO is a badass car for sure, but drat I will miss that GC, and so will you. Take it from someone who has owned and sold a bunch of awesome cars and motorcycles, you WILL regret it when you sell it, guaranteed.

If you still want to get out of it, why not just snag a WRX for a replacement? Don't have to worry about swap problems.

I'm sure I will miss it when it's gone but the reasons for me selling it are numerous.
  • Moving to a new place that's not as backyard mechanic friendly (No fluids, no jackstands)

• Starting a 9-5, need a little more reliable commuter transportation.

• Because of said job, I don't really feel like working 6 hours every other weekend on my car. More succinctly, I don't want to be forced to work on my car. If I get the GTO, it's not getting modded. 400hp is enough to have fun with. Yes it will be slightly slower than the RS (which definitely says something for my subaru), but it will still be fun.

• Dovetailing with the previous bullet, I've gotten tired of spending so much money on mods. Since my car is already so heavily modded, the wall barring me from modding it further isn't very high. With the GTO, if it's pristine, I'll want to keep it that way....if that makes any sense.

• I can retain the L for winter driving, making the GTO feasible as a 3 season DD.

• This last one is gonna seem like the height of subaru sacrilege, but I've grown tired of turbo. I drove my cousin's trans-am a few times over thanksgiving and I realized that I enjoy instantaneous torque and a flatter curve much more than I thought I did.

Above all, I feel like it's time to move on and grow up. The RS is a young man's car. It's flashy and high-strung and, while I love it to death, it's not right for me anymore. I want to start saving for things like a house and retirement, and I don't know if I have the willpower to restrain myself when the mod bug bites again and I'm working with a paycheck that's twice the size of anything I've I ever had in my life.

As far as the WRX instead of the goat, it would just be the same story. It wouldn't be fast enough, so I'd start with the modifications.

Your post definitely made me reflect on all the time I've spent on my car. It's strange how something that's just steel, plastic, and aluminum can give rise to such powerful emotions, very strange indeed.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Raymn posted:

Yeah, the entire description of the problems never made much sense to me even in my limited knowledge gleaned through this thread and the basic info I dug up when trying to research what he listed as wrong. Is fwd only mode really that potentially damaging to the transmission if left on and is it really only user enabled? The car can't throw some codes that causes it to automatically be enabled?
Here's what my 99 Forester manual says:

quote:

Front-wheel drive warning light (for AT vehicles)
This light comes on when All Wheel Drive is disengaged and the drive
mechanism is switched to Front Wheel Drive for maintenance or similar
purposes.
The center differential is fully disengaged from the rear. Being put in FWD might be a way to hide problems with the center differential or rear differential. Subaru forums also think leaving it in FWD mode can cause Solenoid C to fail because it's left at 100% duty cycle.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

cmorrow001 posted:

I can't wait for soem more serious snow here in Indiana so I can have some fun/laugh at the idiots around here smashing into poo poo.

Hey heres an idea
Nov 20, 2002

Why don't you crawl up my ass and fight for air?
I'm so pissed because we were supposed to get 12" of snow today in Central PA, but it got really warm this afternoon, and it just rained. It figures, especially since I just had my Winter Sports put on yesterday!

The only hosed up thing is that the guys who put the tires and wheels on failed to tell me which TPMS sensors are in which tires.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Hey heres an idea posted:

I'm so pissed because we were supposed to get 12" of snow today in Central PA, but it got really warm this afternoon, and it just rained. It figures, especially since I just had my Winter Sports put on yesterday!

The only hosed up thing is that the guys who put the tires and wheels on failed to tell me which TPMS sensors are in which tires.

Subaru's TPMS solution doesn't tell you what wheel is low. Only that 1 or more wheels is low. Unless you meant something else...

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Got my snows on today and I had forgotten how noisy they are. Between the tire noise and my clankety loving engine my car now sounds like some sort of high performance road tractor.

Me-262
Aug 24, 2004
20cm of fluffy snow today started off the season. Got to test out my new set of Toyo G02+ snow tires. They're mushy as gently caress on dry pavement but work nice in the white stuff. Local church has a great back lot suitable for 2nd gear power slides. WRX rims are packed in snow, gonna feel like 4 warped wheels when I drive it tomorrow.

Panoplied Platypus
Dec 21, 2005

Head-First into Glory!
I cut down the left front tire on my Legacy GT on the way home from work today. It's just as well, as it is snowing here now and the worn-out Falken ZE-912 all-seasons needed to go. Putting on the spare on the snow-packed shoulder of a highway at rush hour wasn't a great experience, but that's another story.

I was thinking of getting some dedicated winter tires, but my local Firestone is running a special on the Potenza G019 Grid which TireRack seems to rate pretty favorably in the snow. Since I already have their "lifetime alignment" service I could easily get all 4 installed and a fresh alignment for < $600. I'm leaning that way right now simply because of the price.

My question is, would it be worth going with a set of dedicated winter tires like the Blizzak LM-60 for someone in south-eastern Pennsylvania where it snows intermittently and in potentially large amounts all winter, or should I jump on the Grids? Alternatively, should I stick with something tired and true like the RE960AS, or is there something else that everyone loves now?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Get some real snows. The difference will be amazing.
Get the General Altimaxs.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

The thing about snow tires is that its a high initial investment for the steel rims and tires but after that you're not using up any more tire than you would otherwise. You also get to buy really sticky performance summer tires instead of settling for all-seasons.

Panoplied Platypus
Dec 21, 2005

Head-First into Glory!

8ender posted:

The thing about snow tires is that its a high initial investment for the steel rims and tires but after that you're not using up any more tire than you would otherwise. You also get to buy really sticky performance summer tires instead of settling for all-seasons.

I was actually just going to put the snows on my current (stock) rims and get some of the gold WRX/STi wheels since I think they look great on the LGT. And I can still do the same thing if I don't get snow tires. I could run the all-seasons from October-April and the summers from May-September or something. I'm just trying to figure out if snow tires will improve my winter driving enough to justify the extra cost compared to some all-seasons with good snow ratings.

[The 'Emotion' Legacy, for reference]

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Snow tires, even the cheapest Walmart set, are so much better than all-seasons on snow and ice that its not even worth a comparison. Even all-seasons that are "good" on snow are poo poo compared to snow tires.

It really will depend on how much weather you get though. On dry pavement they're noisy, when the temps get above 7 Celcius they're going to wear like crazy and handling is going to be bouncy.

Panoplied Platypus
Dec 21, 2005

Head-First into Glory!

8ender posted:

Snow tires, even the cheapest Walmart set, are so much better than all-seasons on snow and ice that its not even worth a comparison. Even all-seasons that are "good" on snow are poo poo compared to snow tires.

It really will depend on how much weather you get though. On dry pavement they're noisy, when the temps get above 7 Celcius they're going to wear like crazy and handling is going to be bouncy.

Ah, ok. That's the information I was looking for. I'll do some research on average temperatures and such and see what's what. Thanks.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Overpriced Balloons posted:

Ah, ok. That's the information I was looking for. I'll do some research on average temperatures and such and see what's what. Thanks.

Here is a good article to read about the snowflake symbol that is on some tires are not others. The snowflake means "not a lovely winter tire" but some manufacturers like to push the definition.
http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=125

Sort of a "why winter tires are awesome" article from Canadian Driver
http://www.canadiandriver.com/2008/10/22/auto-tech-winter-tire-time.htm

APA recommendations on what to look for in snow tires. Good information here:
http://www.apa.ca/template.asp?DocID=97

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

8ender posted:

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with this. A GOOD QUALITY set of all-seasons isn't going to be far behind a set of performance snow tires. The LM25 barely did any better than the RE960as on ice in tirerack tests. Most of the performance snows out there are all-season compound with a slightly more aggressive tread pattern to aid in clearing anyways.

Besides, there are no such things as absolutes. A $60 generic snow tire on walmart may do better if you happen to be driving around in 8 inches of unpacked snow but could be (and likely are) poo poo compared to a good set of all seasons on the dusting/slush crap you likely driving around in 90% of the other of 'winter' weather and will completely compromise your safety on the dry winter days if you have to drive at speed at all.

Unless you have a set of tires for every single driving condition, you are going to be making compromises. Unless you live in an area where your roads remain covered during the winter more often than they don't (especially if you do highway driving) you are actually lowering your safety more by going with the hardcore snows (especially the cheap crap) than you are by keeping the all seasons since your limits in the dry are going to be compromised.

In my opinion, the worst tire combination in the world is a dedicated summer tire and a dedicated hardcore snow tire. You are going to have a HUGE swath of weather where neither is suitable. It is much more sensible to have a summer/performance snow or all-season/hardcore snow combination (depending on your average winter.) The former would be good for a "change and forget" situation where you change your wheels once a year. The later I would only do if I didn't mind swapping out the wheels a couple of times during the winter to suit the conditions (or I had a car just to drive in bad weather.)

For example, it's going down to 13 F tonight (and not making it above freezing until sunday) and there's a possibility of intermittent snow here and there, but it's going to be mostly dry. Yet, I drove to work this morning in torrential rain with 60 degree temps (it was 30 by the time I left work.) A snow tire would have gotten me killed this morning and a summer tire would have been drat risky on the way home. I'm also going to be making a 120 mile highway round trip on Saturday where it isn't going to get out of the 20s but 'should' be dry. an hour on the highway at 70mph on dedicated snows in the dry? No thanks.

That's not to say it wouldn't be awesome to have a set of hardcore snows to bomb around in on the bad days, but to pretend there's no other option in the winter other than getting snows is disingenuous since the advantages all-seasons have over snows in dry winter weather are being ignored completely.

That said, when I finally do pick up an STI (or new WRX) later in 2010, I'll sidestep the issue by making my current WRX the bad weather rat. I'll get a summer/all-season combo for the new car and an all-season/dedicated snow for my current car. That way I'll be able to drive either car any time of the year but be able to get the extra bit of performance on the really bad days.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

bull3964 posted:

Yet, I drove to work this morning in torrential rain with 60 degree temps (it was 30 by the time I left work.) A snow tire would have gotten me killed this morning
Do you think that a snow tire becomes a slippery mess in the rain or something? The tread pattern displaces water better than a hardcore all season. Yeah it'll be pretty soft, but tire manufacturers don't make snow tires to be some sort of ice and snow only queens.

quote:

I'm also going to be making a 120 mile highway round trip on Saturday where it isn't going to get out of the 20s but 'should' be dry. an hour on the highway at 70mph on dedicated snows in the dry?
I drove from Boston to New York and back in 50s weather on snow tires and beside from the howling, they didn't get destroyed or wear noticeably.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

I drove from Boston to New York and back in 50s weather on snow tires and beside from the howling, they didn't get destroyed or wear noticeably.
Yeah. Really, you shouldn't be running them in warm (50-60+) temps all the time, but a warm snap or even a warm month isn't exactly going to kill them.
I always had my Nokians on in april in MN, when the weather can be quite warm (or you can have a drat blizzard) and my tires wore just fine.
I would much rather have snow tires in the summer than summer tires in the winter (or all seasons in snow)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I haven't had trouble with my Dunlop Winter Sport 3Ds in mildly warm temperatures. Next time though I will just get all-season tires for 3 seasons. In Spring and Fall here it can be warm during the day and cool at night. It seems silly to have to either keep the winter tires on or risk driving cold summer tires. I bought summer tires while I was living in California and didn't need anything else.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kimbo305 posted:

Do you think that a snow tire becomes a slippery mess in the rain or something? The tread pattern displaces water better than a hardcore all season. Yeah it'll be pretty soft, but tire manufacturers don't make snow tires to be some sort of ice and snow only queens.

I'm sorry, but no. A tire optimized for snow clearing and has siping to get grip on ice is not going to be as optimal for water clearing as a good wet weather all seaason, they are completely different use profiles. A good all season is going utterly embarrass pretty much every snowtire on the market when it comes to wet weather handling. Hell, some do a pretty good job at embarrassing many of the max performance summer tires. This is especially true when you start looking at the "cheapest winter tire at walmart."

I'm starting to think no one has actually used a good all-season tire before and are basing all their experience on the OEM crap they shove on cars.

quote:

It's not a matter of being destroyed or wear noticeably, it's about performance. People are quick to point out stopping distances and grip at limit with snows on snow and ice, but tend to gloss over the fact that those distances are increased and those limits are lowered in dry or wet weather compared to a good set of all seasons.

quote:

I haven't had trouble with my Dunlop Winter Sport 3Ds in mildly warm temperatures. Next time though I will just get all-season tires for 3 seasons. In Spring and Fall here it can be warm during the day and cool at night.

That was part of my point. Your Dunlop Winter Sport 3Ds are closer to a normal all-season than they are a snow tire. They have very similar tread compounds, just a slightly more aggressive tread pattern to clear snow.

Snow tires have their place, but it isn't as simple as "you drive in snow in the winter so, you should have snow tires" because snow tires compromise in performance in other areas. You have to examine what kind of conditions you mainly drive in during the winter. If it's mostly just a lot of below feezing driving and wet roads with only the occasional accumulation on the roads, those Hakkapeliittas or WS-60s aren't going to be doing you any favors.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
We just got 15 inches in Madison and the RE960's were incredible.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

This is a great article with some good testing of all-seasons vs snow tires vs summer in dry, wet and snow.
http://www.insideline.com/features/tire-test-all-season-vs-snow-vs-summer.html

Now imagine if they had tested the dry and wet in the bitter cold instead of California and Arizona? Those all-seasons and summers would be like tonka truck wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Overpriced Balloons posted:

I was actually just going to put the snows on my current (stock) rims and get some of the gold WRX/STi wheels since I think they look great on the LGT. And I can still do the same thing if I don't get snow tires. I could run the all-seasons from October-April and the summers from May-September or something. I'm just trying to figure out if snow tires will improve my winter driving enough to justify the extra cost compared to some all-seasons with good snow ratings.

[The 'Emotion' Legacy, for reference]

That car looks great, but those are OZ Superleggeras, not STi wheels.

Not snow tire related, but I live in Florida so I've got nothing to contribute to that discussion anyway: Anyone here tried the new Rotella T6 in a turbo Subaru motor yet? I've been looking to save a little money over the Mobil 1 (DEAR GOD) I'm running right now and from what I can gather online, the UOAs for the old formulation of Rotella look as good or better than the Mobil 1, and Shell claims the new one has more wear protection.

Bud Manstrong fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 10, 2009