Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flower Power
Dec 5, 2007
Since we're on the topic of Steve Aoki ...

http://flickr.com/gp/arthurgoldstein/s3p4TG

Dunkman: If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get paid?

Flower Power fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 5, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

Flower Power posted:

Since we're on the topic of Steve Aoki ...

http://flickr.com/gp/arthurgoldstein/s3p4TG

Dunkman: If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get paid?

$0.00

I just asked the promoters if I could take pics, and they said yes.

This is the "official" photographers set.

http://thefiasco.dphoto.com/#/album/58709o/

milquetoast child fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 5, 2009

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Check out this chick:

I hope one day I can make 10 cents per photo.

Flower Power
Dec 5, 2007

dunkman posted:

$0.00

They are really good.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Flower Power posted:

They are really good.

Some of them are great, but something that annoys me is hundreds of similar shots that some people toss up in a gallery for every show they do. I'd rather see maybe 10-15 (max) solid shots from a show; if she was 'official' her job may have been just to spam photos to make everyone look good and remember the fun they had, but I got bored looking before Steve Aoki even showed up.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
The photographer is a dude, he's the really tall one with lots of tattoos in my photos. He shoots with an XSi and the kit lens (he used to have a 5dm2 and nice lenses but I guess he sold them).

He has a dance he does to get the light trails, it's actually really funny.

Flower Power
Dec 5, 2007

Jahoodie posted:

Some of them are great, but something that annoys me is hundreds of similar shots that some people toss up in a gallery for every show they do. I'd rather see maybe 10-15 (max) solid shots from a show; if she was 'official' her job may have been just to spam photos to make everyone look good and remember the fun they had, but I got bored looking before Steve Aoki even showed up.

Thing is if this was their personal site (a professional one or whatnot) then I'd be inclined to agree, but it looks like at the moment they just upload the whole series for people to check and see photos of themselves. Different purposes.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
How did he get the light trails like so? Did he do a flash + a longer shutter speed where he shoots and then just kinda twirls his camera around a bit? I never understood using flash photography in a concert setting and getting all those ghosts...

digitalhifi
Jun 5, 2004
In life I have encountered much, but nothing as profound as the statement "all we ever do is do stuff."
Too...many...light trails

It looks like a cool effect and all, but doesn't it get old pretty quickly. Like after the 3rd light trail shot maybe?

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
It's stupidly easily.

Put it on manual, Bulb setting for shutter, f/8-11 somewhere in there, then have your flash do something really short, like 1/8th, 1/16 or 1/32, something like that. ISO 400 or 800, play around with it.

Then just take your picture, flash goes off and "burns" the image into the sensor, then hold the shutter down for however long you want, and then wave the camera around, you'll get light trails from any light sources in the picture, but the people won't be blurry.

Usually I hold it down for maybe 2 seconds. The other guy does it for 4-5 seconds.

I did this starting out because all of my friends were, and I have now grown past it because I think it is dumb.

milquetoast child fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 6, 2009

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Flower Power posted:

Thing is if this was their personal site (a professional one or whatnot) then I'd be inclined to agree, but it looks like at the moment they just upload the whole series for people to check and see photos of themselves. Different purposes.

I understand this. Still think there could have been half the amount of pictures in that gallery, unless it really is just an upload dump of everything.

No. 9 posted:

Maybe the venue wanted those kinds of photos. If they were hired, sometimes it's out of control and you want to make the client happy.
Making myself clear again, yes I get that the client might want that. I just said that above. (What is good and what a client wants isn't always the same thing)

Speaking in general, if I wasn't there and had no attatchment to the show I'd rather see a tightly edited set to show me the mood then 200 light trail snaps on flickr/facebook for everyone to gush over in the comments. However I guess I'm alone on this.

Jahoodie fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 7, 2009

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Maybe the venue wanted those kinds of photos. If they were hired, sometimes it's out of control and you want to make the client happy.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
CLUB$HOTTZZ

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
The one and only Jarvis Cocker:

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

dunkman posted:

$0.00

One of the few photographers I can appreciate in that style is our very own Already Bored, aka Hobo of Hobo Gestapo. I haven't heard anythign from him though for some time. :ohdear:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Shot Guttermouth on Sunday, hooooooooooly poo poo they're hard to get decent shots of. lovely lighting did not help. Nor did pissing myself laughing at them taking the absolute piss out of people in the pit.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Do any of you do anything with your photos? I've printed five of my favourite shots out and had them mounted on particle board (A4 sized) which are now stuck on my wall.

I also had this:

Turned into this:

and then printed on canvas and mounted.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I have a good number of my concert shots hung up around the house, it's actually the majority of the art on our walls. There's 7 hanging up in total. I don't do anything crazy fancy, they're all 11x14 photos matted and framed in 16x20. A couple of them I had signed just for fun as that's the only way I'll take an autograph. My step-dad has a few of them hanging up in his office at work too. Aside from that a few friends have them and even funnier several parents and relatives of band members have contacted me for prints as well, one of them used to email me after every time I'd shoot them and this wasn't a local band or anything. It was actually pretty funny. I told the singer about it and he shook his head and his bass player broke out laughing.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
my concert shots mostly end up on my office wall for my coworkers to see. occasionally I will play around with Rasterbator http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/ and make some cool stuff.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Shot Guttermouth on Sunday, hooooooooooly poo poo they're hard to get decent shots of. lovely lighting did not help. Nor did pissing myself laughing at them taking the absolute piss out of people in the pit.

It was a great concert; I did them Friday night in Brisbane. Result:

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/gallery/13355/Guttermouth.htm

I was rather pleased, shooting 5000ISO at 2.8. I was the only person without a 5D and an L series lens, it was my first real 'get between the security and stage with a press pass' shoot and I don't think I did too badly. Anyone got feedback?

Also the next night was where I laughed harder than Guttermouth:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

psylent posted:

Do any of you do anything with your photos? I've printed five of my favourite shots out and had them mounted on particle board (A4 sized) which are now stuck on my wall.

I also had this:

Turned into this:

Sell those. That's well cool.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

My first ever photo published :) Like I said in an earlier post, it's for the free paper at the university I work for, but I'm still really excited. It's amazing how good you feel to see something you did in print.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!

dunkman posted:

It's stupidly easily.

Put it on manual, Bulb setting for shutter, f/8-11 somewhere in there, then have your flash do something really short, like 1/8th, 1/16 or 1/32, something like that. ISO 400 or 800, play around with it.

Then just take your picture, flash goes off and "burns" the image into the sensor, then hold the shutter down for however long you want, and then wave the camera around, you'll get light trails from any light sources in the picture, but the people won't be blurry.

Usually I hold it down for maybe 2 seconds. The other guy does it for 4-5 seconds.

I did this starting out because all of my friends were, and I have now grown past it because I think it is dumb.

thanks for the guide dunk, I've shot some concerts and stuff where I thought this effect would look good, but it never turned out quite right for me. I'll try it out next time. Is the reason for the higher aperture to limit the amount of light coming in from the flash? I assume if you do this technique wide open you'd end up with a lot of blown out shots?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You close down to limit ambient (so you get just the trails from light sources). You can use the same technique without manual flash control, btw. Front curtain flash, TTL, and go.

Azzy
May 10, 2003

Innit.
I've been doing promo shoots for a band thats quickly becoming popular called The Republic Of Wolves.

This was a freezing cold shoot out on the bay. Wind was blowing poo poo everywhere, finally got the shot they're using for promos though, which isnt this one but a slight variation of color, and with the obvious red ROTC jacket muted.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
You can use much shorter times too and just move the camera a lot quicker. Sometimes I'll just set the shutter to like 1/8th second and rather than move it I rotate it. It gives you sort of a light rainbow effect. Another interesting effect is to set your flash to fire more than once.

Edit: I like the idea of that promo shot, but I'm not big on the lantern at all. Why would he be using a lantern when it's obvious from the background that it's plenty light out. It makes it seem really phoned in. I think a spotting scope or some other nautical element might have been better suited.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 8, 2009

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Shot Melt Banana recently. Fun show, but the opening band was really trying hard to stimulate my gag reflex:

And no, he isnt wearing any pants.

Melt Banana was more photogenic,

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

psylent posted:

I also had this:

Turned into this:

You got some artist to do that for you? It's awesome, I want this to be done to some of my pictures!!

--
reposting from PAD since I guess it fit this subject too.

So, my friend who is a reporter for a music blog needed a photographer to go see malajube with her. Since I'm not one to refuse a free 35$ show from a band I like I went and did my best.

Rome Romeo did the first part

Then Malajube came in

Missed the ****** guitar head. Sometime I hate prime lenses

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

KingColliwog posted:

You got some artist to do that for you? It's awesome, I want this to be done to some of my pictures!!
Fellow goony goon Beanpants did that for me for $30, here's the original thread and here's the thread where he offers his services.

psylent fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 10, 2009

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

psylent posted:

Fellow goony goon Beanpants did that for me for $30, here's the original thread and here's the thread where he offers his services.

Thanks, don't have archives, but I'm sure I'll find something on SA mart if I decide to try that.

---

Some more from the show

How could I remove the keyboard stand on the right? It doesn't touch the guitarist/lead singer at all so I'd really like to do something about it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

KingColliwog posted:

Some more from the show

(couldn't resist)

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Pompous Rhombus posted:

(couldn't resist)

hahaha, yeah I know it's crazy, the picture isn't sharp nor really good. But it makes me laugh so I uploaded it and everyone comments that one and none of the others haha

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Here's a few shots from last night's show.

Chimaira

Trivium

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I'm shooting a friend's band tomorrow night in a venue with really lovely lighting. I've got permission to set up some lighting. I've got a 420EX and a 580exII that can be triggered remotely from my 7D.

I've got poles at both ends of the stage where I can attach my flashes, the roof it quite low as well. You can see my amazing diagram below:

Any suggestions on how I should set this up? I'm still very much a beginner when it comes to setting up my own lighting :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Put them as close to the front of the stage as you can and up as high as you can. That's pretty much the best way to do it given that situation.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Should I be bouncing them off the roof or pointing them down at the band?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

psylent posted:

Should I be bouncing them off the roof or pointing them down at the band?

I'd shoot them down at the band. Roof bouncing is mostly used for hot shoe mounted flash situations. Plus direct flash will stop motion blur better.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

psylent posted:

I'm shooting a friend's band tomorrow night in a venue with really lovely lighting. I've got permission to set up some lighting. I've got a 420EX and a 580exII that can be triggered remotely from my 7D.

I've got poles at both ends of the stage where I can attach my flashes, the roof it quite low as well. You can see my amazing diagram below:

Any suggestions on how I should set this up? I'm still very much a beginner when it comes to setting up my own lighting :(

How does the 7D trigger flashes? Is it the same as using a 580 as a master? Because then it would be pretty much line of sight... just something to consider.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I'd think about how they'll work with the stage lights and also think about using gels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
The stage lights are usually just dim red/blue lights - so there's not a lot to think about there.

The 7D has a flash commander built in, it can trigger the other two flashes from the pop-up flash.