Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
pat mentioned something that sparked an idea: use the acoustic as sort of fitness training. The action on that thing is bound to be way high, same with the tension on the strings, so when you go back to electric bass it'll be way easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
I posted this in the "new purchases" thread, but it just arrived today:

Squier Vintage Modified Precision Bass. I think my reaction can be summed up thusly: :swoon:

Looks beautiful, is feather-light compared to the Squier and Epiphone basses I previously owned, and sounds great. Now granted, I'm not exactly a veteran bassist, but for my needs at the moment it's just perfect.

Apologies for the mini-derail, please carry on with helpful bass playing tips and techniques. :)

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Grandpa Pap posted:

Squier Vintage Modified Precision Bass. I think my reaction can be summed up thusly: :swoon:

Looks beautiful, is feather-light compared to the Squier and Epiphone basses I previously owned, and sounds great. Now granted, I'm not exactly a veteran bassist, but for my needs at the moment it's just perfect.

I just went with an Ibanez 35" 5-string for my first bass (free hardshell case, wtfnice) and I can't believe how huge it is in every respect. Feels great, but drat, the thing is monstrous.

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

scuz posted:

pat mentioned something that sparked an idea: use the acoustic as sort of fitness training. The action on that thing is bound to be way high, same with the tension on the strings, so when you go back to electric bass it'll be way easier.

Very true! The action is waay high, and the strings are phospher bronze so they are harder on the fingers. Both of which can act as training.

When I go back to my electric after using my acoustic it's like woah, thank god electric basses exist!!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Ok. Okokok. I finally figured it out. My bass cabinet stack will be as follows:

2x Avatar B212N's at 8 ohms each. One of them will be loaded with an 18Sound 6" midrange driver wired up to its own 1/4" jack for my 800RB's "high amp" running in bi-amp mode. This will replace the need for a new crossover and utilize the 100w "high amp" that otherwise wouldn't be used. If I ever WOULD need a crossover installed I can always do it at a later date. Dave's only gonna charge me something like $210 for 2 of his 12" drivers (hella cheap) to convert my existing B212N to 8 ohms.

Special thanks to warwick5s for implying that I'm a dip and not just buying another B212N.

combee
Nov 17, 2007

it's the combee's knees!

combee fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 23, 2013

Big Face
Dec 5, 2009

by Peatpot
Hi, new here. Been playing for about 4 years now. I've mainly been playing Fenders and Generics for a while. I usually have good luck on Craigslist, buying and selling, but could anyone tell me if these basses would be worth it?

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/msg/1499588600.html

A Teisco(Japanese) bass. I'm a little wary on the price, but it is "vintage"

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/msg/1494981987.html

A Gretsch bass. Now, I know they make excellent guitars, but I have never tried their basses.

zincaito
Nov 18, 2003

i love adventures

Scarf posted:

"What're Melons, Man?" (shout-out to Herbie Hancock's Watermelon Man)

As an amateur who plays in his spare time (read: an hour a week max), this was a really cool line that got me to pick up the bass and spend 30 minutes learning it by ear. Fun stuff! I'll have to check out the original too.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Big Face posted:

Hi, new here. Been playing for about 4 years now. I've mainly been playing Fenders and Generics for a while. I usually have good luck on Craigslist, buying and selling, but could anyone tell me if these basses would be worth it?

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/msg/1499588600.html

A Teisco(Japanese) bass. I'm a little wary on the price, but it is "vintage"

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/msg/1494981987.html

A Gretsch bass. Now, I know they make excellent guitars, but I have never tried their basses.

Both prices are pretty good, but I'd offer like $100-150 for the Teisco. They were put out as basically novelty instruments. You can play them, and they have some neat camp-value, but really never intended to be serious instruments.

You know how when you go to restaurants like TGIFridays or other places that have a lot of crap on the walls? Sometimes you'll see a guitar or bass hung up there? Yeah, usually they're Teiscos or something similar.

Gretsch does make some fantastic basses, but that is not one of them. That is a newer Chinese Gretsch short-scale bass. I tried picked one up in Guitar Center once, it actually doesn't play too bad, but it certainly doesn't hold up to the name "Gretsch." $80 is not bad.

Goes for about $250 new: http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gretsch-Guitars-G2202-Electromatic-Junior-Jet-Bass?sku=514192

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

zincaito posted:

As an amateur who plays in his spare time (read: an hour a week max), this was a really cool line that got me to pick up the bass and spend 30 minutes learning it by ear. Fun stuff! I'll have to check out the original too.

There are a few different versions of Watermelon Man, the one I prefer (and based that track off of) comes from the Headhunters album.

And thanks :)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

scuz posted:

Bass solos have never appealed to me. One of the reasons I began playing bass (and maybe the biggest one) is so I wouldn't have to worry about the spotlight, so while I respect their skills, I don't aspire to anything like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3SvyCSt9H0

Enjoy. Solo begins around 6:15

Big Face
Dec 5, 2009

by Peatpot

Scarf posted:

Thanks.

Oh, and don't get me wrong, I have a regular player, I was just looking for something that.. looked different from the P-Basses I was used to. They're kind of boring to me. A non-reverse or regular Thunderbird was what I was looking for, but I might have to pop into a pawn shop for that.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Big Face posted:

Thanks.

Oh, and don't get me wrong, I have a regular player, I was just looking for something that.. looked different from the P-Basses I was used to. They're kind of boring to me. A non-reverse or regular Thunderbird was what I was looking for, but I might have to pop into a pawn shop for that.

You should be able to pick up a used Epi T-bird for about $200 if you hunt around. I had an older Korean version that was pretty great (aside from the neck-dive). I haven't tried the newer Chinese ones but I haven't heard anything resoundingly bad about them.

Big Face
Dec 5, 2009

by Peatpot
Yeah, I have a great music pawn shop in my area (sold me my first 45w tube amp for $60), I just haven't been in there in a while, but since I've got a new job I will be able to afford new things. I probably shouldn't drop any more money on "decoration guitars"

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Scarf posted:

ahh gently caress I really want another p bass now

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

A MIRACLE posted:

ahh gently caress I really want another p bass now

Straight up dirt. I now regret selling my '78 :(

Wanh
Aug 15, 2005
wanh

Big Face posted:

Yeah, I have a great music pawn shop in my area (sold me my first 45w tube amp for $60), I just haven't been in there in a while, but since I've got a new job I will be able to afford new things. I probably shouldn't drop any more money on "decoration guitars"

Yo, where in Cleveland are you from?

Big Face
Dec 5, 2009

by Peatpot

Wanh posted:

Yo, where in Cleveland are you from?

East side, Euclid area.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

scuz posted:

Special thanks to warwick5s for implying that I'm a dip and not just buying another B212N.

:confused:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

warwick5s posted:

:confused:
I remember a few times you told me to just get another one of the cabs that I already have, or at least nudging me in that direction. Now that I reread the quote it should say "I'm a dip for not just buying another B212N." It wasn't meant in offense or anything.

Basically I sometimes make issues larger than they really are because I am bored!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

ah ok I was worried I was a jerk somewhere. I think you've got the right idea.

anyways, I really need to stop going to Upton's website because I don't know how long I'm going to be able to resist buying this

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

warwick5s posted:

anyways, I really need to stop going to Upton's website because I don't know how long I'm going to be able to resist buying this

Waaaaaaaaant. Buy it and tell me it's a worthwhile investment so I can plan on getting one some day.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Also, have you seen the Markbass Super Synth yet?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

:ohdear:

Scarf posted:

Also, have you seen the Markbass Super Synth yet?

nope? not a huge pedal guy but what's the deal?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

warwick5s posted:

:ohdear:

nope? not a huge pedal guy but what's the deal?

DO IT!

Well it looks to be pretty similar to like an Akai SB-1... If you want you can customize it via your computer w/ some software that Markbass sends you.

http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua=en&cat=6&vedi=134

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

god, my wife would cut my balls off if i did :(

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

warwick5s posted:

god, my wife would cut my balls off if i did :(

Sounds like, by not ordering it, she already has ;)

Haha sorry man, I know how you feel... I can't afford poo poo these days.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
What the gently caress do you guys do for a living that you can afford all this stuff? :smith:

Also if I've learned anything in the last 7 months it's "wife > music gear".

warwick5s posted:

It's the best was to allow me to tinker around with poo poo and not just throw away stuff I already have :)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I work at a medical software company and my wife is a project manager for a big insurance company, so we do ok.

Still not enough to be able to grab that Upton in a fiscally responsible manner, though. :smith:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

scuz posted:

What the gently caress do you guys do for a living that you can afford all this stuff? :smith:

Also if I've learned anything in the last 7 months it's "wife > music gear".
It's the best was to allow me to tinker around with poo poo and not just throw away stuff I already have :)

I never said I could afford anything... I just lust after things :)

poo poo, I'm single with a full-time career and I still can't buy this crap. I need more endorsements :D

Bourbon
Sep 17, 2006

Scarf posted:

Jesus. Christ. Time for another MMW binge!

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I've saved all fall for a new bass, and now when I finally have the 1k for a Fender P, I'm gonna have to move and that 1k goes to the security deposit (not sure what the correct term is in english, it's 2 months rent I'll have to give to the new landlord to hold while I live there, to cover any potential damage I make to the apartment). I'm so loving pissed right now.

MolluskGoneBad
Feb 25, 2002
I'm a beginner to bass, picked up the instrument in the last year. I'm planning to switch to upright in a few months (got the thing ordered), but in the meantime, how should I best learn about my amp/the electronics in my electric? I've always played acoustic instruments in the past, and my approach thus far has just been to fiddle with knobs until I find something that agrees with the way I'm playing the thing, and then leave it there. I'd really like to understand what I'm doing with the gear, though.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

MolluskGoneBad posted:

I'm a beginner to bass, picked up the instrument in the last year. I'm planning to switch to upright in a few months (got the thing ordered), but in the meantime, how should I best learn about my amp/the electronics in my electric? I've always played acoustic instruments in the past, and my approach thus far has just been to fiddle with knobs until I find something that agrees with the way I'm playing the thing, and then leave it there. I'd really like to understand what I'm doing with the gear, though.

What gear do you have, specifically?

MolluskGoneBad
Feb 25, 2002

82Daion posted:

What gear do you have, specifically?
I've got a Squier 60's Classic Vibe Precision Bass hooked up to an Ampeg BA115T Bass Combo Amplifier.

Like I said, I kind of mess with it haphazardly until I find a sound I like.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I've got a Mexican Fender J-bass that seems to have a screw stripped on the bridge -- the screw that you tighten or loosen to change the E string's action. I've used an Allen wrench a number of times to raise the action but after a few days the action will be lowered again and it really makes the E string sound a lot worse. Is this an easy problem to fix? Should I just bring it in somewhere or is it something that I can do myself?

I'm also playing out of a Behringer Ultrabass BX1200. I know; I was young and I needed the mone -- I mean it was cheap. For EQ it's simply got Bass, Low Mid, High Mid and Treble. I usually boost the Bass the most, then each higher frequency less. I really don't know much about EQ and was wondering what people recommend for EQ(s) for a nice tone that could work for funky rock stuff. Also is it worth it to get a separate EQ pedal? Or should I just save my money and get something like a Fender Bassman 250/210 Combo, SWR Workingpro 12, or maybe a Hartke 115C or 210C Hydrive (not really whether 1x15" or 2x10" would be better)? Thanks in advance!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

I've got a Mexican Fender J-bass that seems to have a screw stripped on the bridge -- the screw that you tighten or loosen to change the E string's action. I've used an Allen wrench a number of times to raise the action but after a few days the action will be lowered again and it really makes the E string sound a lot worse. Is this an easy problem to fix? Should I just bring it in somewhere or is it something that I can do myself?

You could just take this opportunity to upgrade to a Gotoh 201 bridge, warmoth is having a sale on them right now I think.

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

I'm also playing out of a Behringer Ultrabass BX1200. I know; I was young and I needed the mone -- I mean it was cheap. For EQ it's simply got Bass, Low Mid, High Mid and Treble. I usually boost the Bass the most, then each higher frequency less. I really don't know much about EQ and was wondering what people recommend for EQ(s) for a nice tone that could work for funky rock stuff. Also is it worth it to get a separate EQ pedal? Or should I just save my money and get something like a Fender Bassman 250/210 Combo, SWR Workingpro 12, or maybe a Hartke 115C or 210C Hydrive (not really whether 1x15" or 2x10" would be better)? Thanks in advance!

Always adjust the EQ on your bass before you touch the amp's eq, but four EQ channels should be plenty for that amp. For rock you want buzzy mids on roundwounds to be heard in the mix, and playing near the bridge with a pick helps

Save up and get a separate amp / 4x10 or something similar, it's not really that much more expensive than a combo and it'll last you forever.

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 13, 2009

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Any place that does guitar repair should have a bunch of those screws laying around and will probably give one to you for free. If it's not stripped but just turning on it's own you can just put a little loc-tite on it and that should stop it.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

When did those Squier Classic Vibe basses come out? I played the Jazz today, and it was *fantastic.*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

warwick5s posted:

When did those Squier Classic Vibe basses come out? I played the Jazz today, and it was *fantastic.*

It was either Winter or Summer NAMM this past year. After the success of the VM series, they did the CVs and yea, everyone pretty much loves em.