Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Afro Thunder posted:

Pretty good track, but I agree with the poster about the breakdown needs to be re-tooled it sounds too out of place with the song.

I agree with everything said thus far.

Really great track though....the production is really tight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Thats got potential to be a big track, it's really well produced.

Agree about the breakdown, but maybe not as strongly - I jus think it's needs something extra. It's a big change but the noise you have now isnt quite big enough to stand on it's own. When the rest of the track comes in it works really well.
Maybe copy the line to another synth to fatten it which then fades down, or build that sound up before the break. It just drops a bit too much, when it feels like it should be more.. iconic, I dont know.

Cant fault the rest of it, the production is incredibly good. you absolutley need to send it out when it's done.
Have you had any tracks picked up before?

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary
So recently I've realized that while I may not be the next Armin, my tracks on the whole aren't super terrible. My biggest problem is still just getting myself motivated to sit down and start / finish tracks.

For those of you, who like me, have creative ADD, what do you do to make sure you stay on task, finish tracks, and make progress in general? When do you stop working on a track when you hit writers block? What do you do to get over writers block? etc...

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Anacostia posted:

So recently I've realized that while I may not be the next Armin, my tracks on the whole aren't super terrible. My biggest problem is still just getting myself motivated to sit down and start / finish tracks.

For those of you, who like me, have creative ADD, what do you do to make sure you stay on task, finish tracks, and make progress in general? When do you stop working on a track when you hit writers block? What do you do to get over writers block? etc...

Generally, after the 3 hour or so mark, if a track does not excite me enough to finish it, I figure it does not deserve to live; and gets shelved.

If it can not convince me, how will it accomplish that with other people?

When I DO get past that point however, around 4-5 hours put in, it tends to fall together all on its own. It becomes alive and sorta writes itself.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I'm pretty similar to quincy.

Up until around 2/3 hours of work, even if what you're doing is poo poo theres still potential to salvage it and make it good. if it's still poo poo after that, it's too much work to make good and you mayaswell start over.

Recently i've taken to planning my tracks on paper before starting (only tried it twice so far). I'll draw a line on a piece of a4 going from one side to the other and try and get some idea of structure and sounds before I start. at first it's very basic, just keywords like 'percussive synths after break, build here, deep rolling bass kicks in' etc, but as it goes they get more detailed.
Keeps me pretty focused and when I sit back for a mid point listen it makes it easy to make notes of stuff to change so I can get a good amount of work done without going to and fro.
I didnt do it on my most recent one (which a lot of people thought was poo poo) but I did on the one before, which went down a storm and got played out. I think i'll keep doing it :)

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary

cubicle gangster posted:

I'm pretty similar to quincy.

Up until around 2/3 hours of work, even if what you're doing is poo poo theres still potential to salvage it and make it good. if it's still poo poo after that, it's too much work to make good and you mayaswell start over.

Recently i've taken to planning my tracks on paper before starting (only tried it twice so far). I'll draw a line on a piece of a4 going from one side to the other and try and get some idea of structure and sounds before I start. at first it's very basic, just keywords like 'percussive synths after break, build here, deep rolling bass kicks in' etc, but as it goes they get more detailed.
Keeps me pretty focused and when I sit back for a mid point listen it makes it easy to make notes of stuff to change so I can get a good amount of work done without going to and fro.
I didnt do it on my most recent one (which a lot of people thought was poo poo) but I did on the one before, which went down a storm and got played out. I think i'll keep doing it :)

Yeah I've mapped songs out before and it totally helps. I've found that even just taking a track you love, mapping it out in the most abstract sense and then copying that schematic can help.

Also, a track I'm working on that's come more into form. Comments?
http://soundcloud.com/zeitpunkt/love

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Thanks for the comments everyone. I'll try to segue into the fuzzy bass part a little less suddenly.

cubicle gangster, no, I haven't been picked up so far. Any suggestions for labels to try?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
Just some more tomfoolery

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Ever have one of those moments where you take a few minutes break to pee or something, sit back down and listen to what you wrote and wonder what the gently caress possessed you to just do what you did? Yeahhhhhh

edit: newer version

mezzir fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 9, 2009

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

mezzir posted:

Ever have one of those moments where you take a few minutes break to pee or something, sit back down and listen to what you wrote and wonder what the gently caress possessed you to just do what you did? Yeahhhhhh

edit: newer version

gently caress me this is great.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

wayfinder posted:

cubicle gangster, no, I haven't been picked up so far. Any suggestions for labels to try?

I dont really listen to trance, I couldnt name any. I barely know any labels in techno either because of a year off doing mixes, struggling with this part myself.

I could post it on another forum I go on and ask for suggestions if you like? It's a club forum but half the people there are producers and dj's, a few doing really well with one cream resident about.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

cubicle gangster posted:

I dont really listen to trance, I couldnt name any. I barely know any labels in techno either because of a year off doing mixes, struggling with this part myself.

I could post it on another forum I go on and ask for suggestions if you like? It's a club forum but half the people there are producers and dj's, a few doing really well with one cream resident about.

I was going to post it on the anjunabeats forums as well, but only after I make some small changes to the introduction of that fuzzbass. But yeah I'll take all the feedback I can get, thank you!

edit: Edited version here: http://u.nu/9bh64

wayfinder fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 9, 2009

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

K hopefully the final version for the next few days at least (because god damnit I have finals why am I working on this)

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

mezzir posted:

K hopefully the final version for the next few days at least (because god damnit I have finals why am I working on this)

Can I ask what software you use? This is probably the best remix of anything I've heard. Fruity Loops is completely inadequate for remixes :(

InflateableFerret
Dec 1, 2005

I pooped my pants

first track ever made in FL, kind of boring at the moment but it was really only ever intended to be a minimalist adventure

SwissDonkey posted:

Can I ask what software you use? This is probably the best remix of anything I've heard. Fruity Loops is completely inadequate for remixes :(

no

InflateableFerret fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 10, 2009

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

InflateableFerret posted:

first track ever made in FL, kind of boring at the moment but it was really only ever intended to be a minimalist adventure

no

Yeah I figured out what I was doing wrong. It's all in the progress of learning. Also I'd put a little more attack on some of those clips, there's some clicks getting through.

SwissDonkey fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Dec 10, 2009

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

SwissDonkey posted:

Thank you, but

InflateableFerret posted:

no
man's right.

Fruity loops is perfectly adequate. Back in the day I did use FLStudio (Fruity Loops at the time) and yes, my stuff then was nowhere near as good as it is today (currently using Ableton Live). However, you are a fool if you attribute those gains to the use of software; Live fits my workflow best of the programs I've used, so I stick with it. I mean poo poo man, Mike Oldfield uses FLstudio. Hell, 9th Wonder makes his beats in Cool Edit Pro and FLStudio. Just fine software you're comfortable working in and from there, practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice .

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

mezzir posted:

So Mezzir, why aren't you a well-known producer yet?

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
He needs a Haircut, I'm guessing

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
or ritalin

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Hooooooooly :lol: you guys are way too on point. I do need a haircut and am planning on getting one next week, and I just got more ritalin this past weekend. So apparently by next week I will be a well-known producer :v:

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary

mezzir posted:

The bass is really dirt and hectic, but it might be cool if you had a drop into a more sustained bass line if only for a single phrase.

Peanut Wagon
Dec 28, 2006

Relax. Go Nuts.
So I have a question, I dont know if this is the right place to ask but I might as well try. What does the DJ do in a hip hop live show? Does he play a vinyl of the beat? And in recording, how does a producer or DJ scratch the vocals? Does he have a vinyl made of the vocal track and then punch in and scratch?

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Peanut Wagon posted:

So I have a question, I dont know if this is the right place to ask but I might as well try. What does the DJ do in a hip hop live show? Does he play a vinyl of the beat? And in recording, how does a producer or DJ scratch the vocals? Does he have a vinyl made of the vocal track and then punch in and scratch?

Basically, except maybe change 'vinyl' to just playing it off Serato these days.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Peanut Wagon posted:

In the past, certainly, a DJ would have had two copies of record (with a nice drum break or something) and juggle the drum breaks back and forth so Record B starts as soon as Record A finishes and vice versa, and adding little things like scratching and cutting. I'm not sure to what extent this is still done, considering that there's Traktor and stuff now.

A lot of scratched vocals in hip-hop is just the DJ scratching one of the group's previous singles or something. Dub plates can indeed be pressed, though I believe it's generally pretty expensive to do so (correct me if I'm wrong).

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

Computer Jones posted:

A lot of scratched vocals in hip-hop is just the DJ scratching one of the group's previous singles or something. Dub plates can indeed be pressed, though I believe it's generally pretty expensive to do so (correct me if I'm wrong).

60 bucks, maybe less, so not too bad.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I think this has potential (though probably not with the sounds I'm currently using):

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Computer Jones posted:

In the past, certainly, a DJ would have had two copies of record (with a nice drum break or something) and juggle the drum breaks back and forth so Record B starts as soon as Record A finishes and vice versa, and adding little things like scratching and cutting. I'm not sure to what extent this is still done, considering that there's Traktor and stuff now.

Dubplates are a bit impractical for scratching, you'll wear it out quickly and it will skip

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Here's something dumb I've been working on. I'm not really sure where to go next so maybe I'll just cut it short.

I wish I had more time to work on stuff :sigh:

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
i dont think anyone has cut a dubplate in years. dvs pretty much elimated the need.

i could be wrong but why would anyone need one? except for a test pressing or something.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

oredun posted:

i dont think anyone has cut a dubplate in years. dvs pretty much elimated the need.

i could be wrong but why would anyone need one? except for a test pressing or something.

or if they only dj vinyl

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

oredun posted:

You couldn't be more wrong. A lot of vinyl-only guys press dubplates of their productions so they can play them out before they're released.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

squidgee posted:

You couldn't be more wrong. A lot of vinyl-only guys press dubplates of their productions so they can play them out before they're released.

wow, that sounds retarded.

are you guys sure anyone does this? or just "vinyl only guys"

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

oredun posted:

wow, that sounds retarded.

are you guys sure anyone does this? or just "vinyl only guys"

a lot of the dubstep guys play dubplates.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

trill rear end posted:

There are tons of people who cut dubplates due to cost and the ability to not make a huge amount per batch.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

trill rear end posted:

such as....

im not even being a dick i havnt seen ANYONE use vinyl for at least a year so im wondering who even uses it anymore.

and im a DJ so i definitely notice things like that.

EDIT: found benga playing a record, not dubplate tho.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
Seriously? I mean I know it's limited and all, but why is it so hard to believe?

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

oredun posted:

EDIT: found benga playing a record, not dubplate tho.

You are officially the worst troll.

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/video-archive/lectures/benga__diary_of_an_afro_wobbler skip to 8:30.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 13, 2009

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

oredun posted:

and im a DJ

Who the gently caress isnt

seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

oredun posted:

im not even being a dick i havnt seen ANYONE use vinyl for at least a year so im wondering who even uses it anymore.

Theres a club in berlin with a vinyl only policy. edit: I think it's berghain/panoramabar

It's still pretty big in proper techno, and most dj's i've seen bring vinyl to the club along with their laptop/cd's.
Depends on genre too - it'd be much harder to find tech house/minimal guys using it.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 13, 2009

• Locked thread