Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MDDevice
Jul 14, 2000

Hobnob posted:

Yeah, I don't know why John Legal doesn't just drop his health insurance, since he can get all that free full medical and dental work done by clinics.
Are there such things as free dental clinics? I've literally never seen one. In fact, I've never even heard of one.

[Edit]: Did my own research. There are, in fact, free dental clinics. There's one in my town, but I can't get to their website. The google summary says "Cannot connect". They must be really awesome.

[Edit2]: Finally got to their website. They only offer "routine procedures", so it's not like you can get a free root canal or anything. So, to sum up, there is 1 dentist in my town of 150k who works for a free clinic, and she will only do routine procedures. That's not good service.

MDDevice fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 10, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Anyone who complains about people at free clinics getting all the breaks has obviously never been to one.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

dphrag posted:

Or for that matter, just work under the table.

Sounds too gay

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

You have impressed FFCiv with your turn time!
They turn a blind eye to the turn times of other civilizations, and your Influence over them has increased by 40.

CT2049 posted:

My dad's huge on Lou Dobbs and brings up all these points. I told him if it's all true why doesn't he just renounce his citizenship and stay here illegally, since it seems like illegals get it way better than citizens.

Then he told me to stop being such a jackass.

you can't renounce a US citizenship. they thought of everything.

CT2049
Jul 24, 2007

Fiskiggy posted:

you can't renounce a US citizenship. they thought of everything.

I thought you could. What about if you moved to another country and became a citizen there, could you renounce your US citizenship then?

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

You have impressed FFCiv with your turn time!
They turn a blind eye to the turn times of other civilizations, and your Influence over them has increased by 40.

CT2049 posted:

I thought you could. What about if you moved to another country and became a citizen there, could you renounce your US citizenship then?

ah, maybe theoretically you can if you do have another citizenship and promise not to live in America, but the uniquely American aspect I was thinking of is it won't stop the IRS from bugging you for taxes. No matter where you live.

Fiskiggy fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 10, 2009

MDDevice
Jul 14, 2000

Fiskiggy posted:

ah, maybe you can if you do have another citizenship and promise not to live in America, but the uniquely American aspect I was thinking of is it won't stop the IRS from bugging you for taxes. No matter where you live.
It would make for an interesting article for someone to throw away all their documentation and live like an "illegal" for, say, 6 months. See what you can and can't do without being a documented citizen. It would be pretty relevant.

[Edit]: The problem with this that I see is that you'd have to commit a fair amount of fraud to do it.

MDDevice fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 10, 2009

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

MDDevice posted:

It would make for an interesting article for someone to throw away all their documentation and live like an "illegal" for, say, 6 months. See what you can and can't do without being a documented citizen. It would be pretty relevant.

I'm asked for an id by a police officer once or twice a year on average, so I would probably be right hosed unless I had a fake one somehow.

MDDevice
Jul 14, 2000

LorneReams posted:

I'm asked for an id by a police officer once or twice a year on average, so I would probably be right hosed unless I had a fake one somehow.
You'd probably end up in jail pretty quickly, I imagine, especially if you have an ethnic background. That's exactly the kind of thing that would be interesting to read about, though.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

quote:

John Legal: $25.00 per hour x 40 hours = $ 1000.00 per week, or $52,000.00 per year. Now take 30% away for state and federal tax; John Legal now has
$31,231.00.

Not only did they say 30% but actually take away 40%, but for a family filing jointly their tax rate would be somewhere in the 13-14% range. They have no property tax as the email specifically says they rent. They pay the same sales tax as Juan does. Altogether this gives John about $13,500 extra, enough to hire a hitman to have Juan killed.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

EngineerSean posted:

They pay the same sales tax as Juan does. Altogether this gives John about $13,500 extra, enough to hire a hitman to have Juan killed.

The Lou Dobbs tax break

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The Lou Dobbs tax break
The internet is awesome because it allows this kind of (hilarious) libel and slander to be spread around freely. Santorum, etc.

I want to believe Lou Dobbs is in too deep with the mob after calling in a series of hits against Mexicans he saw on the street, and had to step down from his show because he's about to be kidnapped and murdered by the mafia and doesn't want anyone to find out about his dirty little hobby. :tinfoil:

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 10, 2009

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

'Tis the season! THis was forwarded by my wife for comment. It came from one of her peripheral friends.

angry christian posted:

THE LAW IS THE LAW
So " if " the US government determines that it is against the !
law for the words "under God" to be on our money, then,
so be it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And " if " that same government decides that the
"Ten Commandments"
are not to be used in or on a
government installation, then,
so be it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I say, "so be it," because I would like to be a
law abiding US citizen.

I say, "so be it," because I would like to think that
smarter people than I are in positions to make good decisions.

I would like to think that those people have the
American public's best interests at heart.
BUT, YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE I'D LIKE?

Since we can't pray to God, can't Trust in God and cannot post His Commandments in Government buildings , I don't believe the Government and its
employees should participate in the
Easter and Christmas
celebrations which honor the God
that our government
is eliminating from many facets of American life.

I'd like my mail delivered on Christmas, Good Friday, Thanksgiving & Easter. After all, it's just another day.

I'd like the " US Supreme Court to be in session on Christmas, Good Friday, Thanksgiving & Easter as
well as Sundays." After all, it's just another day.

I'd like the Senate and the House of Representatives
to not have to worry about getting home for the "Christmas Break." After all it's just another day.

I'm thinking that a lot of my taxpayer dollars could be saved, if all government offices & services would
work on Christmas, Good Friday & Easter. It shouldn't cost any overtime since those would be just like any other
day of the week to a government that is trying to be "politically correct."
In fact....

I think that our government should work on Sundays (initially set aside for worshipping God...) because, after all, our government says that
it should be just another day.....
What do you all think????

If this idea gets to enough people, maybe our elected
officials will stop giving in to the "minority opinions"
and begin, once again, to represent the "majority"
of ALL of the American people.
SO BE IT............

Please Dear Lord,
Give us the help needed to keep you in our country!
'Amen'
At the top, it says "I hope this makes its way around
the USA several times over!!!!!"
Let's see that it does.

Thanks ......

and my response:

I have no issue with anyone's philosophical bent when it comes to communing with the universe. It should, however, remain a purely private matter and consequently has no business anywhere in our government.

Folks being how they are, however, in the case of December 25 and Oestre, we could let these holidays revert to their pagan roots. We could celebrate them as people did for thousands of years before the rise of Christianity & folks like this could take the stick of self-righteousness out of their rear end.

Mail should not be delivered on Saturday or Sunday, because of the 40-hour work week.

Good Friday is not a Federal holiday. For what it's worth, Christmas was not declared a federal holiday until after the Civil War.

That having been said I have no problem with the elimination of all religious-based holidays, since we only seem to take Christian ones anyway, which only seems to encourage the religious-nutjob types into a froth about the US being a "christian nation."

Now that I think about it: If that's what it took to get the God statements off of our currency, I'd be all for it.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
I like how the person says he will defer to their decisions because he/she believes that smarter people are making the decisions... then follows this up with a hair brained scheme because he/she is obviously smarter than elected officials. I like how they don't think through their plan. If Christmas wasn't a nation holiday, they would also work.

Also, why is Thanksgiving included there? That isn't a Christian (or Religious?) holiday.

Not to mention. Mail is delivered 6 days a week including Christmas/New Years Eve and the Friday after Thanksgiving. The post office is extremely good at what it does. Stop lumping them in with government inefficiencies, which actually don't hold up to scrutiny!

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

I always like how these people have all the freedom to worship whomever and however they want, and they still find the time and reason to bitch and whine.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
And lo Jesus said "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and then be sure to make a huge stink about it and never stop playing the victim. In fact if you want you can even poo poo on obvious concessions to your religion in some snarky disingenous attempt at imaginary self-harm, really try it. It's hilarious."

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 11, 2009

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo

Intel&Sebastian posted:

And lo Jesus said "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and then be sure to make a huge stink about it and never stop playing the victim. In fact if you want you can even poo poo on obvious concessions to your religion in some snarky disingenous attempt at imaginary self-harm, really try it. It's hilarious."

Completely irrelevant, but this reminds me of supply side jesus: http://www.beliefnet.com/News/2003/09/The-Gospel-Of-Supply-Side-Jesus.aspx?p=1

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

dphrag posted:

Completely irrelevant, but this reminds me of supply side jesus: http://www.beliefnet.com/News/2003/09/The-Gospel-Of-Supply-Side-Jesus.aspx?p=1

Supply side Jesus is never irrelevant.

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo

Gripen5 posted:

Supply side Jesus is never irrelevant.

Leprosy is a matter of personal responsibility!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Wow that's eerie.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
This should be the response, essentially the only response for every religious related email:

:qq: christians :qq:

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.
I'm surprised she didn't add something about
holiday=holy day
you lose
:smug:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
:hitler:OBAMA IS LITERALLY HITLER::hitler:

quote:

I hope you find the time to read this with an open mind. It's interesting. Please read it with the open mind rather than immediately breaking it down into left or right, but rather look at it from the neutral viewpoint of right or wrong. It's like the line below says, "what if he is right?"

Take the three minutes to read this.
Maybe he is wrong.
What if he is right?

David Kaiser is a respected historian whose published works have covered a broad range of topics, from European Warfare to American League Baseball. Born in 1947, the son of a diplomat, Kaiser spent his childhood in three capital cities: Washington D.C. , Albany , New York , and Dakar , Senegal .. He attended Harvard University , graduating there in 1969 with a B.A. In history. He then spent several years more at Harvard, gaining a PhD in history, which he obtained in 1976. He served in the Army Reserve from 1970 to 1976.

He is a professor in the Strategy and Policy Department of the United States Naval War College . He has previously taught at Carnegie Mellon, Williams College and Harvard University . Kaiser's latest book, The Road to Dallas, about the Kennedy assassination, was just published by Harvard University Press.

Dr. David Kaiser

History Unfolding

I am a student of history. Professionally, I have written 15 books on history that have been published in six languages, and I have studied history all my life. I have come to think there is something monumentally large afoot, and I do not believe it is simply a banking crisis, or a mortgage crisis, or a credit crisis. Yes these exist, but they are merely single facets on a very large gemstone that is only now coming into a sharper focus.

Something of historic proportions is happening. I can sense it because I know how it feels, smells, what it looks like, and how people react to it.. Yes, a perfect storm may be brewing, but there is something happening within our country that has been evolving for about ten to fifteen years. The pace has dramatically quickened in the past two.

We demand and then codify into law the requirement that our banks make massive loans to people we know they can never pay back? Why?

We learned just days ago that the Federal Reserve, which has little or no real oversight by anyone, has "loaned" two trillion dollars (that is $2,000,000,000,000) over the past few months, but will not tell us to whom or why or disclose the terms. That is our money. Yours and mine. And that is three times the $700 billion we all argued about so strenuously just this past September. Who has this money? Why do they have it? Why are the terms unavailable to us? Who asked for it? Who authorized it? I thought this was a government of "we the people," who loaned our powers to our elected leaders. Apparently not.

We have spent two or more decades intentionally de-industrializing our economy.. Why?

We have intentionally dumbed down our schools, ignored our history, and no longer teach our founding documents, why we are exceptional, and why we are worth preserving. Students by and large cannot write, think critically, read, or articulate. Parents are not revolting, teachers are not picketing, school boards continue to back mediocrity. Why?

We have now established the precedent of protesting every close election (violently in California over a proposition that is so controversial that it simply wants marriage to remain defined as between one man and one woman. Did you ever think such a thing possible just a decade ago?) We have corrupted our sacred political process by allowing unelected judges to write laws that radically change our way of life, and then mainstream Marxist groups like ACORN and others to turn our voting system into a banana republic. To what purpose?

Now our mortgage industry is collapsing, housing prices are in free fall, major industries are failing, our banking system is on the verge of collapse, social security is nearly bankrupt, as is Medicare and our entire government. Our education system is worse than a joke (I teach college and I know precisely what I am talking about) - the list is staggering in its length, breadth, and depth.. It is potentially 1929 x ten...And we are at war with an enemy we cannot even name for fear of offending people of the same religion, who, in turn, cannot wait to slit the throats of your children if they have the opportunity to do so.

And finally, we have elected a man that no one really knows anything about, who has never run so much as a Dairy Queen, let alone a town as big as Wasilla , Alaska .. All of his associations and alliances are with real radicals in their chosen fields of employment, and everything we learn about him, drip by drip, is unsettling if not downright scary (Surely you have heard him speak about his idea to create and fund a mandatory civilian defense force stronger than our military for use inside our borders? No? Oh, of course. The media would never play that for you over and over and then demand he answer it. Sarah Palin's pregnant daughter and $150,000 wardrobe are more important.)

Mr. Obama's winning platform can be boiled down to one word: Change. Why?

I have never been so afraid for my country and for my children as I am now..

This man campaigned on bringing people together, something he has never, ever done in his professional life. In my assessment, Obama will divide us along philosophical lines, push us apart, and then try to realign the pieces into a new and different power structure. Change is indeed coming. And when it comes, you will never see the same nation again.

And that is only the beginning..

As a serious student of history, I thought I would never come to experience what the ordinary, moral German must have felt in the mid-1930s In those times, the "savior" was a former smooth-talking rabble-rouser from the streets, about whom the average German knew next to nothing. What they should have known was that he was associated with groups that shouted, shoved, and pushed around people with whom they disagreed; he edged his way onto the political stage through great oratory. Conservative "losers" read it right now.

And there were the promises. Economic times were tough, people were losing jobs, and he was a great speaker. And he smiled and frowned and waved a lot. And people, even newspapers, were afraid to speak out for fear that his "brown shirts" would bully and beat them into submission. Which they did - regularly. And then, he was duly elected to office, while a full-throttled economic crisis bloomed at hand - the Great Depression. Slowly, but surely he seized the controls of government power, person by person, department by department, bureaucracy by bureaucracy. The children of German citizens were at first, encouraged to join a Youth Movement in his name where they were taught exactly what to think. Later, they were required to do so. No Jews of course,

How did he get people on his side? He did it by promising jobs to the jobless, money to the money-less, and rewards for the military-industrial complex. He did it by indoctrinating the children, advocating gun control, health care for all, better wages, better jobs, and promising to re-instill pride once again in the country, across Europe , and across the world. He did it with a compliant media - did you know that? And he did this all in the name of justice and .... . .. change. And the people surely got what they voted for.

If you think I am exaggerating, look it up. It's all there in the history books.

So read your history books. Many people of conscience objected in 1933 and were shouted down, called names, laughed at, and ridiculed. When Winston Churchill pointed out the obvious in the late 1930s while seated in the House of Lords in England (he was not yet Prime Minister), he was booed into his seat and called a crazy troublemaker. He was right, though. And the world came to regret that he was not listened to.

Do not forget that Germany was the most educated, the most cultured country in Europe . It was full of music, art, museums, hospitals, laboratories, and universities. And yet, in less than six years (a shorter time span than just two terms of the U. S. presidency) it was rounding up its own citizens, killing others, abrogating its laws, turning children against parents, and neighbors against neighbors.. All with the best of intentions, of course. The road to Hell is paved with them.

As a practical thinker, one not overly prone to emotional decisions, I have a choice: I can either believe what the objective pieces of evidence tell me (even if they make me cringe with disgust); I can believe what history is shouting to me from across the chasm of seven decades; or I can hope I am wrong by closing my eyes, having another latte, and ignoring what is transpiring around me..

I choose to believe the evidence. No doubt some people will scoff at me, others laugh, or think I am foolish, naive, or both. To some degree, perhaps I am. But I have never been afraid to look people in the eye and tell them exactly what I believe-and why I believe it.

I pray I am wrong. I do not think I am. Perhaps the only hope is our vote in the next elections.

David Kaiser
Jamestown , Rhode Island
United States

Pass this along. Perhaps it will help to begin the awakening of America as to where we are headed.......

:godwin:
Fun Fact: This wasn't written by Kaiser. It was written by some blogger and someone decided this was such a neat essay that they had to tack on some false sense of credibility.
And from there it found its way to my grandmother :smith:

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

DerpDerp posted:

:hitler:OBAMA IS LITERALLY HITLER::hitler:

:godwin:
Fun Fact: This wasn't written by Kaiser. It was written by some blogger and someone decided this was such a neat essay that they had to tack on some false sense of credibility.
And from there it found its way to my grandmother :smith:

Did you point out to her that it's falsely attributed?

dphrag
May 20, 2006
Ooga Booga Goo
Anything that starts with "Maybe he's wrong... BUT WHAT IF HE'S RIGHT" can be safely ignored.

I think AIDS is caused by aluminium. Maybe I'm wrong... BUT WHAT IF I WAS RIGHT?!?!?

:eek:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
^^^ Everyone knows that AIDS is the gay plague so it obviously doesn't matter.

Zwabu posted:

Did you point out to her that it's falsely attributed?

Yeah, I sent back a few lines explaining where this came from. And a link to the post in Dr. David Kaiser's blog about this dumb essay.

Oh grandma :shobon:

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

DerpDerp posted:

^^^ Everyone knows that AIDS is the gay plague so it obviously doesn't matter.

Yeah, I sent back a few lines explaining where this came from. And a link to the post in Dr. David Kaiser's blog about this dumb essay.

Oh grandma :shobon:

What kills me is that the right wingers I know who send this sort of thing never seem to be embarrassed when it's shown to be fake. If I sent something to a bunch of people via email that was easily debunked, I'd be mortified.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Zwabu posted:

What kills me is that the right wingers I know who send this sort of thing never seem to be embarrassed when it's shown to be fake. If I sent something to a bunch of people via email that was easily debunked, I'd be mortified.
After Hurricane Katrina, the Mormon Church helped relocate a number of survivors around the country, including in Utah. A really nasty e-mail chain started which claimed that the relocated folks were all convicted felons, which is why they weren't "evacuated early." Therefore, anyone running into these folks on the street or in church should keep their families close and be on guard.

The Church put out a pretty stern press release calling the e-mails bullshit. So the newer e-mails said, "Well, we have it on good authority that not ALL Katrina survivors are convicted criminals--but surely SOME of them are! The warnings in the original e-mail are still important for everyone to know! Read it and pass it on!"

:doh:

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Zwabu posted:

I feel this way too; I hate being inaccurate and misleading people. When I find out that I have done this, I go out of my way to correct myself. I guess I just don't have it in me to make crazy political email forwards.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape
He hasn't figured out to remove from his CC list dammit

quote:

Quite an amazing human being...Makes you think about our leadership.

quote:

Medal of Honor Recipient
Bud Day
Speaks of Torture
I got shot down over North Vietnam in 1967,
as a Sqdn. Commander.
After I returned in 1973... I published 2 books that dealt a lot with "real torture" in Hanoi .
Our make- believe president is branding our country as a bunch of torturers when he has no idea what torture is.

As for me, put thru a mock execution because I would not respond... pistol whipped on the head... same event.
Couple of days later... hung by my feet all day.
I escaped and a couple of weeks later,
I got shot and recaptured.
Shot was OK... what happened afterwards was not.

They marched me to Vinh... put me in the rope trick, trick... almost pulled my arms out of the sockets.
Beat me on the head with a little wooden rod
until my eyes were swelled shut,
and my gunshot, unbroken hand a pulp.

Next day hung me by the arms...
rebroke my right wrist...
wiped out the nerves in my arms
that control the hands...
rolled my fingers up into a ball.
Only left the slightest movement
of my left forefinger.
So I started answering
with some incredible lies.

Sent me to Hanoi
strapped to a barrel of gas
in the bck of a truck.

Hanoi...
on my knees...
rope trick again...
Beaten by a big fool.

Into leg irons on a bed in Heartbreak Hotel.

Much kneeling... hands up at Zoo.

Really bad beating
for refusing to condemn
Lyndon Johnson.

Several more kneeling events.
I could see my knee bone
thru kneeling holes.

There was an escape from the annex to the Zoo. I was the Senior
Officer of a large building because of escape... they started a mass
torture of all commanders.

I think it was July 7, 1969... they started beating me with a car fan
belt. In first 2 days I took over 300 strokes... then stopped counting
because I never thought I would live thru it.

They continued day-night torture to get me to confess to a non-existent
part in the escape. This went on for at least 3 days. On my knees....
fan belting... cut open my scrotum with fan belt stroke; opened up
both knee holes again. My fanny looked like hamburger... I could not
lie on my back.

They tortured me into admitting
that I was in on the escape...
and that my 2 room-mates knew about it.

The next day I denied the lie.

They commenced torturing me again
with 3- 6- or 9 strokes of the fan belt
every day from about July 11 or 12th..
to 14 Octoer 1969.
I continued to refuse to lie
about my roommates again.

Now, the point of this
is that our make-believe president
has declared to the world
that we (U.S.) are a bunch of torturers....
Thus it will be OK to torture us
next time when they catch us...
because that is what the U.S. does.

Our make-believe president
is a know nothing fool
who thinks that pouring a little water
on some one's face,
or hanging a pair of women's pants
over an Arabs head is TORTURE.
He is a meathead./

I just talked to MOH holder Leo Thorsness,
who was also in my squadron, in jail...
as was John McCain...
and we agree that McCain does not speak
for the POW group when he claims
that Al Gharib was torture....
or that "water boarding" is torture.

Our president and those fools around him
who keep bad mouthing our great country
are a disgrace to the United States.
Please pass this info on to Sean Hannity.
He is free to use it to point out
the stupidity of the claims
that water boarding...
which has no after effect...
is torture.

If it got the Arab to cough up the story about how he planned the attack on the twin towers in NYC... [b]hurrah for the guy who poured the water.

"Bud" Day, Medal Of Honor Recipient
George Everett "Bud" Day (born February 24, 1925) is a retired
U.S. Air Force Colonel and Command Pilot who served during the
Vietnam War. He is often cited as being the most decorated U.S.
service member since General Douglas MacArthur, having
received some seventy decorations, a majority for actions
in combat. Day is a recipient of the Medal of Honor.
--------------
Please pass on to your
family and friends!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Well, according to his account, torture is a completely ineffective method of getting information out of detainees.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

I'm also pretty surprised that he supposedly wrote two books, since he seems incapable of forming even the most basic spelling.

Then again this is the age of Sarah Palin's book. :v:

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Davish Krail posted:

I'm also pretty surprised that he supposedly wrote two books, since he seems incapable of forming even the most basic spelling.

Then again this is the age of Sarah Palin's book. :v:

I would be even more surprised if he wrote the email that was attributed to him

Dulcissime
Nov 17, 2004

by mons all madden

Dr. Tough posted:

I would be even more surprised if he wrote the email that was attributed to him

The guy was a Swift Vet.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

prag posted:

The guy was a Swift Vet.

I thought the Swift Boat Vets were supposedly Navy folks who'd supposedly "served with" Kerry on the, er, Swift Boat units in Vietnam? (Many of whom did not in fact "serve with" Kerry at all of course.)

This guy was an Air Force officer, how would he be able to even claim any relation aside from "I hate Demmy-crats"?

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

Zwabu posted:

I thought the Swift Boat Vets were supposedly Navy folks who'd supposedly "served with" Kerry on the, er, Swift Boat units in Vietnam? (Many of whom did not in fact "serve with" Kerry at all of course.)

This guy was an Air Force officer, how would he be able to even claim any relation aside from "I hate Demmy-crats"?
I think he's just pointing out that the guy has a history of being a vocal GOP supporter, so it's not unthinkable that he "wrote" that barely-coherent email.

Dulcissime
Nov 17, 2004

by mons all madden

Zwabu posted:

He was involved with the 527 Organisation and the Swift Vets and POWs for Truth. Sorry I just shortened the whole thing down. The guy is an ex-PoW conservative nutjob who was buddies with McCaine and tortured by the NVA and the VC. He earned a bunch of medals but the guy is a loving loon. Him writing this poo poo is not a surprise.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

prag posted:

He was involved with the 527 Organisation and the Swift Vets and POWs for Truth. Sorry I just shortened the whole thing down. The guy is an ex-PoW conservative nutjob who was buddies with McCaine and tortured by the NVA and the VC. He earned a bunch of medals but the guy is a loving loon. Him writing this poo poo is not a surprise.

Well in that case, yeah he's a jerk. Also didn't the NVA waterboard prisoners?

Dulcissime
Nov 17, 2004

by mons all madden

Dr. Tough posted:

Well in that case, yeah he's a jerk. Also didn't the NVA waterboard prisoners?

Not that I'm aware of but they did torture people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RussianBear
Sep 14, 2003

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds
Not that political, but still crazy.

quote:

The Tomato Company

An unemployed man is desperate to support
his family of a wife and three kids. He applies for a
janitor's job at a large firm and easily passes an
aptitude test.

The human resources manager tells him,
"You will be hired at minimum wage of $5.35 an hour.
Let me have your e-mail address so that we can get you
in the loop. Our system will automatically e-mail you
all the forms and advise you when to start and where
to report on your first day."

Taken back, the man protests that he is
poor and has neither a computer nor an e-mail address.

To this the manager replies, "You must
understand that to a company like ours that means that
you virtually do not exist. Without an e-mail address
you can hardly expect to be employed by a high-tech
firm. Good day."

Stunned, the man leaves Not knowing where
to turn and having $10 in his wallet, he walks past a
farmers' market and sees a stand selling 25 lb. crates
of beautiful red tomatoes. He buys a crate, carries it
to a busy corner and displays the tomatoes. In less
than 2 hours he sells all the tomatoes and makes 100%
profit. Repeating the process several times more that
day, he ends up with almost $100 and arrives
home that night with several bags of
groceries for his family.

During the night he decides to repeat the
tomato business the next day. By the end of the week
he is getting up early every day and working into the
night. He multiplies his profits quickly.

Early in the second week he acquires a
cart to transport several boxes of tomatoes at a time,
but before a month is up he sells the cart to buy a
broken-down pickup truck.

At the end of a year he owns three old
trucks. His two sons have left their neighborhood
gangs to help him with the tomato business, his wife
is buying the tomatoes, and his daughter is taking
night courses at the community college so she can keep
books for him.

By the end of the second year he has a
dozen very nice used trucks and employs fifteen
previously unemployed people, all selling tomatoes. He
continues to work hard.

Time passes and at the end of the fifth
year he owns a fleet of nice trucks and a warehouse
that his wife supervises, plus two tomato farms that
the boys manage. The tomato company's payroll has put
hundreds of homeless and jobless people to work. His
daughter reports that the business grossed over one
million dollars.

Planning for the future, he decides to buy
some life insurance.

Consulting with an insurance adviser, he
picks an insurance plan to fit his new circumstances.
Then the adviser asks him for his e-mail address in
order to send the final documents electronically.

When the man replies that he doesn't have
time to mess with a computer and has no e-mail
address, the insurance man is stunned, "What, you
don't have e-mail? No computer? No Internet? Just
think where you would be today if you'd had all of
that five years ago!"

"Ha!" snorts the man. "If I'd had e-mail
five years ago I would be sweeping floors at Microsoft
and making $5.35 an hour."

Which brings us to the moral of the story:

Since you got this story by e-mail, you're
probably closer to being a janitor than a millionaire.

Sadly, I received it also

Since you're at your computer now, maybe you should update me on how you're doing... other then not being a millionaire yet.

Some gizmo! Bootstraps!