Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morek
Nov 23, 2006

warburg posted:

Anyone have any tips for Titan Quest? I played around with it a bit and it seems like one of those RPGS that if I pick the wrong class combination I'll end up with something useless halfway through the game.

Just avoid making a build that heavily relies on scalar bonuses (things like +30 damage). Lots of things work really well together, though you should probably avoid the nature class entirely. Pets do NOT scale well at all in the sense that eventually you'll be running around as a level 40 or something and your pets will still be level 18. The lich king is a noted exception to this, as he's a beastly tank and will persist in being so due to his abilities which actually scale really well.

Dream+anything is really potent just because dream itself is really really strong. Maybe give something like dream/rogue or dream/warfare a try, or dream/spirit if you want to try out a caster.

A personal favorite is defense+hunting, because you run around with a sword and a spear like a hoplite and you get two charges. Tons of durability, lots of damage and as a tank character for multiplayer it's great because with two charges you can actually keep pushing ahead of the group.

Oh, and a warning. Archery is super heavily dependent on finding good bows. It's fun to play as an alt, but going through an entire act without finding a weapon upgrade as any other build would've found five is brutal. If you want to try it out, play as something else first and find some of the good bows and stash them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Polite Tim posted:

Two Worlds

Go full class whichever one you choose, mix matching makes your character pretty poo poo overall. If you are going for Mage, make sure you loot everything in order to get decent spells, and have a back up plan ready.

My warriors always have some spell casting ability. The "Chains" spell is awesome.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Kuno posted:

I've been playing Mass Effect, I remember from earlier in the thread that you shouldn't do any quests in the citadel until something or other but I've completely forgotten what I was supposed to be waiting for :doh:

Trying to keep this low spoiler:
If you like a certain battlelord, talk to him a lot and do his quest; it opens up more options for him.
Doing the dig site planet as one of the last plot planets makes for nice dialog
experience with regegade options; some are hilarious.
Singularity and lift are amazing.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Grifter posted:

Fallout 2
  • All of the above is also true for FO2, except the part about the NPCs. They stay useful throughout the entire game. Or I should say they stay as useful as they ever were, people like Myron and Miria are pointless the whole way through.
  • You sometimes hit encounters that says something like "You come upon Group X fending off Group Y." That's great. Let them wipe each other out, finish off the survivors, profit. Obviously, this doesn't apply to massively unfair encounters like Super Mutants v. Farmers. In that case, run like hell.

On that note, I've found caravan missions (particularly those from Broken Hills) to be a great way to pick up great loot fairly early in the game. You can let your co-workers do most of the fighting, then collect guns and ammo from the dead bandits. On a single run, you could end up with several Pancor Jackhammers and those fancy SMGs whose name I forgot. If you take the caravan from Broken Hills to NCR, you'll even have a convenient spot to trade extra guns for all types of quality equipment.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What's some good tips for Torchlight and Mercenary 2.I'm a veteran of Diablo II, and I'm pretty used to the Very Hard difficultly so far in Torchlight, but what are some good advice besides using the dog to sell your loot.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Argon_Sloth posted:

This is not true. You can go back to competed stages in all Mega Man games but 2 and 3. Elecman's weapon can also be used to retrieve the item in question, but requires a return trip to the stage.

Damnit, I swore I tried this long ago and no dice so I chalked it up to a design error. That's what I get for starting with MM2 and never going back to play the original except once years ago :doh:

osigas
Mar 4, 2006

Then maybe you shouldn't be living here
Seconding the request for some Torchlight info, haven't opened it yet since purchasing but looking forward to some Diablo-esque playing it over Christmas. Are all the classes viable? Any tips when starting out afresh?

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007

osigas posted:

Seconding the request for some Torchlight info, haven't opened it yet since purchasing but looking forward to some Diablo-esque playing it over Christmas. Are all the classes viable? Any tips when starting out afresh?

I think most would agree that you should start on 'Hard' or higher if you want any kind of challege. Normal and below are really quite easy.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

pseudorandom name posted:

Collect all the ingots in The Pitt before installing Point Lookout -- for some reason a roof you need to walk across to get some of the ingots stops being solid after Point Lookout is installed.

I can confirm that this has been fixed with patches.

Dalai Lamacide
Jan 10, 2007

She wears underwear with dick-holes in 'em

osigas posted:

I realize you don't want to read a whole thread on the fucker, but there is seriously so many things you need to know. This includes what mods to get.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3135986&pagenumber=132#lastpost

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Just got a Droid phone and installed NetHack on it for when I am bored.

Any genereal tips for this as I have no idea what I'm doing? And yes I know it's brutal and I'll die often.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Just got a Droid phone and installed NetHack on it for when I am bored.

Any genereal tips for this as I have no idea what I'm doing? And yes I know it's brutal and I'll die often.

The nethack thread is full of them. As well as other resources.

But here's some general beginner tips:

Never use unidentified potions, scrolls, rings, books or amulets.

Avoid using cursed things, they generally have negative effects. Your pet can curse test things for you, by move reluctantly as the move onto the space with the item in question it's cursed.

Eat corpses for resistances, make note of which ones are poisonous, and avoid them until you have poison resistance.

Drop things on an altar to identify whether they're blessed, cursed or uncursed.

Drop an item in a store to sell it. Scrolls of id always cost < 40 when bought and closer to 10 when sold.

You can #pray if things get really bad, but you can't do it too often. Praying relieves hunger, low HP, status effects or could uncurse things you're wearing. But not all at once.

If a potion doesn't clear when you #dip a unicorn horn in it, it's safe to drink. however dip something else before the unicorn horn to be sure you don't lose your horn to a potion of polymorph.

Engrave test all wands as soon as possible. Engrave in the dust with your fingers, then Engrage with the wand. About 3/4 of all wands can be uniquely identified after the engrave. Out of those that don't you'll need to zap them once to identify them. What you zap them at depends on what message you get.

There are very few situations in Nethack that result in certain doom. There's nearly always 3 or 4 ways out. The game is turn based so take your time. nothing will happen until you act again.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
What should I know about Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn before I play this game?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Vander posted:

What should I know about Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn before I play this game?

Ever played a Fire Emblem game before? If not, you should know that if one of your units dies, they die permanently. Fire Emblem tends to be very punishing of careless mistakes.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

The wiki is down, so I'm sorry for what is almost surely a repeat question.

I'm playing GTAIV finally, and was just wondering if there's anything in particular to do/not do at any point in the game.

I remember reading somewhere, possibly in this thread, that agreeing to go out with someone and then calling to cancel the plans is less damaging to social links than outright declining invitations.

Anything else? It seems like I only get icons on the map if I've been to that area, is that the case with all of the paynsprays and food joints in the game?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
One more request for Final Fantasy 7, I'm on disc 3 and I just started fighting Sephiroth, but I finished the one where there's a ton of body parts you have to kill, and you have to swap between squads. I'm on the second form (the one that casts super nova) and I"m wondering if it's even possible to beat it. I'm consistently getting hit for 6300 ish damage and it's killing A FAG, despite him having 7500 HP at the time :wtc:

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Any tips for Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth? I consider myself pretty good at games, so I'm wondering if I should play on the higher difficulty so I can use more items and see more things. This game is the remake of the original Valkyrie Profile, right? Is the "prologue" option on the main menu anything? I got this without an instruction booklet, so I'm pretty much going into it blind.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Captain Novolin posted:

One more request for Final Fantasy 7, I'm on disc 3 and I just started fighting Sephiroth, but I finished the one where there's a ton of body parts you have to kill, and you have to swap between squads. I'm on the second form (the one that casts super nova) and I"m wondering if it's even possible to beat it. I'm consistently getting hit for 6300 ish damage and it's killing A FAG, despite him having 7500 HP at the time :wtc:

Safer Sephiroth can be a right pain in the arse. First of all, when fighting the earlier Jenova boss, do not cast Knights of the Round on her. Doing so gives SS a significant HP boost. When you're fighting Bizarro Sephiroth (the multi-part one) you should wail on his head whenever it regenerates as this reduces SS's max HP. Make sure you dispel his barriers as soon as the fight starts too - he doesn't re-cast them.

Supernova is a gravity-based spell - it reduces your current HP by 15/16ths. Fortunately you should have plenty of time to queue up some healing while it's playing. Use megalixers if you've got them.

If you don't have them already, get ribbons for all your party members. You can get them easily by morphing Master Tonberries (the squat knfe-wielding enemies with a star over their head) further up the Northern Crater. With a full set of ribbons he beomes a lot easier as you're no longer being hammered by status effects.

If you've got characters with multi-hit level 3/4 limits, bring them along for this battle as you want to dish out as much damage as you can as quickly as possible.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Capsaicin posted:

Any tips for Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth? I consider myself pretty good at games, so I'm wondering if I should play on the higher difficulty so I can use more items and see more things. This game is the remake of the original Valkyrie Profile, right? Is the "prologue" option on the main menu anything? I got this without an instruction booklet, so I'm pretty much going into it blind.
The prologue is just a cinema scene that sets up the story. There's a plot twist in the story that's patently obvious if you watch the prologue, but I still thought it was pretty cool.

If you want to see the game's best ending, you need a guide. It depends so much on esoteric poo poo and variables you can't even see that it's basically a necessity. What I recommend is to play the game blind on Medium, get Ending B, then play it on Hard, use a guide, and get Ending A. I've been disagreed with on this before, but I really think that's the way to get the most possible out of the game. The content on Medium isn't a subset of the content on Hard, so you won't see everything on either.

If you're only going to play it once, though, and you want the best ending, play it on Hard. In some ways it's actually the easiest setting because it has the best items, but it's still exhilarating enough to be fun.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
In Final Fantasy 7 is there anyway to get the Golden Chocobo without wasting 5 hours breeding and racing them? I thought I had read somewhere that someone will trade you one for a earth harp or something? I just really want to get Mime and KotRT before fighting Sephiroth so that it will be somewhat easy, I can't even beat that red dragon while climbing down the northern crater! My characters are at around 57 already.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

casual poster posted:

In Final Fantasy 7 is there anyway to get the Golden Chocobo without wasting 5 hours breeding and racing them? I thought I had read somewhere that someone will trade you one for a earth harp or something? I just really want to get Mime and KotRT before fighting Sephiroth so that it will be somewhat easy, I can't even beat that red dragon while climbing down the northern crater! My characters are at around 57 already.

If you beat Ruby Weapon you can trade the prize in for a gold chocobo. But since most people use Knights of the Round to win the fight, and getting that materia requires a gold chocobo, it's kind of an empty prize.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
This is a really stupid question, but in the Wii version of Phantom Brave, what button do you hit to switch between characters with the Changebook? I have it equipped on Ash and I also have him holding it on the island but nothing seems to work. The guides I consulted said to hit the "R2" button so obviously I can't do that.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Draile posted:

If you beat Ruby Weapon you can trade the prize in for a gold chocobo. But since most people use Knights of the Round to win the fight, and getting that materia requires a gold chocobo, it's kind of an empty prize.
Use Barret's Limit and Hades, so he will go down quick. A couple dozen 4-9's will destroy him quickly.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

wdarkk posted:

This is a really stupid question, but in the Wii version of Phantom Brave, what button do you hit to switch between characters with the Changebook? I have it equipped on Ash and I also have him holding it on the island but nothing seems to work. The guides I consulted said to hit the "R2" button so obviously I can't do that.

If its like the ps2 version it'll be whatever button the attack button is on the island, should be in the manual

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Polite Tim posted:

If its like the ps2 version it'll be whatever button the attack button is on the island, should be in the manual

Thanks! I knew it was a stupid question, there it was.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

casual poster posted:

The only hard part about breeding and racing is actually getting the chocobos you need to start. After that, it's just cheating the races until everything gets the ranks they need, and you can pick up some stuff while you're at it. It's much more difficult and time consuming to actually breed a chocobo meant to actually be a good racer.

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn
...and expensive as gently caress!

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Spooky Man G posted:

...and expensive as gently caress!

The very idea of doing the chocobo breeding without abuse of the W-Item glitch for the rare greens horrifies me.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

mystery at hog island posted:

The very idea of doing the chocobo breeding without abuse of the W-Item glitch for the rare greens horrifies me.

Or you could just sell a mastered All materia. Hey presto, money forever.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
I just got Far Cry 2, on 360, and I've put a bunch of hours into it already but I feel like I've just started the scrape the surface, so maybe it's not too late for some beginner's advice?
I think I've done 3 APL(?) missions, and now one for the UFLL and I got an achievement for switching sides. I also did missions for the arms dealer until he stopped showing up. My current loadout is the Dragunov, RPG, and Colt 45 since I like picking people off from far away, and then blowing them up.

Any pointers?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Bloodcider posted:

I just got Far Cry 2, on 360, and I've put a bunch of hours into it already but I feel like I've just started the scrape the surface, so maybe it's not too late for some beginner's advice?
I think I've done 3 APL(?) missions, and now one for the UFLL and I got an achievement for switching sides. I also did missions for the arms dealer until he stopped showing up. My current loadout is the Dragunov, RPG, and Colt 45 since I like picking people off from far away, and then blowing them up.

Any pointers?

Buy the accuracy and reliability upgrades. Avoid the vehicle upgrades. Also, choosing the Bar or church makes very little difference.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Visual Scale posted:

Or you could just sell a mastered All materia. Hey presto, money forever.

I ended up just cheating and using someone elses save to beat the ending of the game. It actually wasn't as great as I had expected, I guess I just shouldn't of believed all the hype.e

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Bloodcider posted:

Any pointers?

Don't bother trying to buy all the guns, you probably won't have enough money unless you find all the diamonds and poo poo. Also, buy the camo suit as soon as you possibly can, it's pretty much required for any amount of stealth.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Because I can't keep my attention focused on one thing for too long, I just picked up Crackdown, The Darkness, Gears of War for 360 and Dragon Age for PC. What should I know about them?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
For Crackdown all you need to know is Skills for Kills. The Darkness doesn't really have that much hidden. There's a few collectables if you're down with that, so you can find a guide to get them. They unlock humorous phone calls and extra content like concept art etc.

If you play Gears of War solo be warned that the final fight loving sucks if you have an AI partner. It can literally be impossible to kill unless you glitch it out.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
There's literally nothing you need to know about Crackdown. Just do whatever.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

Mr E posted:

Dragon Age for PC

On any setting other than Easy, this game is pretty difficult. Pause frequently to issue commands, and don't be hesitant to use health poultices.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Dragon Age:
  • The Dalish Elf origin is pretty dull and I would not really recommend making your first character one, it makes for a kind of mediocre starting experience. City Elf and Dwarf Noble are generally considered the most interesting ones (in terms of having ramifications later on as well), but the others are fun as well.
  • TAB highlights every interactable item/object/NPC. Bind this to whatever key/mouse button you have easy access to, because you'll want to use it a whole drat lot, i.e. virtually all the time, at least when exploring an area for the first time. There is a surprising amount of stuff you can run right past and miss in this game because it's not particularly obvious that you can interact with it for one reason or another.
  • Buy a backpack both times you are able to during the prologue (after your origin story is over); the shopkeeper's inventory will refresh after you return from a certain quest so you can buy two from him altogether. Afterwards, backpacks will be a lot more expensive for no reason at all and you may or may not be swimming in gold later on, so it doesn't hurt to grab them for cheap while you can.
  • Even on "normal" difficulty the game can be pretty drat hard at times, so save often and don't be afraid to exploit the shortcomings of the AI in any way you can (by breaking up groups of enemies into more manageable chunks for instance), because it'll gently caress you right back if you let it. If you really can make no headway, considering going somewhere else (if possible) to gain some levels and better equipment, or just turn the difficulty down.
  • Crowd control is absolute key. Initially this means single-target stun/knockdown talents like Dirty Fighting, Pommel Strike and Shield Bash, but once you've got a mage in your party there's a lot of spells available that make combat significantly less of a pain overall, such as Cone of Cold. Mages in general are extremely powerful in DA, both in the offensive and the defensive departments, and while they are not essential they will make your life so much easier if properly used.
  • If your party members stand around and do nothing in combat, make sure you didn't accidentally hit 'H'. If the rightmost icon below the character portraits shows a hand instead of a little running guy, you accidentally hit 'H' and so set everyone to 'hold position'. There are times when this comes in handy, but usually you'll want party members to move around freely.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Even though Ape was pretty awesome for hosting a Wiki, he hasn't been around and his site is down entirely, so I decided to put up my own just in case it never resurfaces:

http://www.centipeed.com/wsik

I went for something simpler. There's a search box and a list of games (Not alphabetized, but in the order I find them in the thread.) available from the left menu.

But HOLY gently caress, is this a time sink.

So, if anyone wants to donate some time to me, you can each take a page of the thread and I'll give you the password to the Wiki's editing features.

I've just done all of Page 1, which took about half an hour, to give you an indication.

It needs to be co-ordinated so that no-one does overlapping work, however, so if you'd like to email me, the address is centipeed AT gmail DOT com.

I'll assign you a page number in the thread, and give you a little guide on how to create the pages. It's pretty simple.

Any takers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Centipeed posted:

Any takers?

If you still need help come Sunday night I've got a few days off and could devote some time to the effort.