Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm running Win7 Pro x64 and every time I try trying in a unc path into explorer, explorer crashes.

I go to try \\server\folder1\ and it crashes at \\se or even sometimes \\

What the gently caress Windows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
Yeah, I don't get how we've gotten this far, yet Explorer still hangs and crashes whenever a host isn't responsive.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

No, this poo poo is immediate. No non-responsive, just typing it and it crashes.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

sisonpyh posted:

I'm unable to run any games through Steam with Win 7 Home 64bit (OEM builders version). Not sure what's going on.

We can't help you if you don't give us any details. What specifically is the problem?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Super Dude posted:

We can't help you if you don't give us any details. What specifically is the problem?

There's like a million games on Steam also!

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Zorilla posted:

Yeah, I don't get how we've gotten this far, yet Explorer still hangs and crashes whenever a host isn't responsive.

GreenNight posted:

No, this poo poo is immediate. No non-responsive, just typing it and it crashes.

Nevertheless, what Zorilla said is true. As much as I love Win7, and I do love the poo poo out of it, that kind of crap still happens. Just today, I accidentally navigated to a network share on a machine that was shut down, and I gave explorer well over 5 minutes to figure out that it's just not there and give up trying, but no. I finally killed it and when it restarted poo poo was hosed up. It was laggy even when navigating local drives and the icon cache was hosed. No choice but to reboot. Granted, things like this don't happen nearly as often as they used to, but I just don't understand why they have to happen at all anymore. I would love something like a "pretend I never made that last move" button that never gets greyed out.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

If I type \\server1\folder1 into explorer it gives me the "Network error: windows can't blah blah blah" dialog which you just cancel out of.

No crash/hang.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That was an example. The server and the share exists, it works perfectly fine on all other systems, just immediately crashes win7 explorer. Odd poo poo. Maybe it's the lovely Novell Client - 7 isn't supported yet.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Has anyone see/heard of mac software that can connect to homegroups?

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

GreenNight posted:

That was an example. The server and the share exists, it works perfectly fine on all other systems, just immediately crashes win7 explorer. Odd poo poo. Maybe it's the lovely Novell Client - 7 isn't supported yet.

Seems like it'd be a viable lead.

I'm running Win7 Pro x64 as well, and I've not had any issues getting to shares on my network (where the remote-hosts are my old XP machine, and another one running Ubuntu).

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I will take every bug I've encountered in Windows 7 multiplied by 10000 to avoid having to deal with WinXP and Vista poo poo pre SP1/2. I know I broke at least one keyboard to that poo poo. The bugs have been very tame in comparison.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Is there any difference between the retail and OEM versions of W7? other than the legal restrictions Microsoft likes to put in, and I know the retail comes with both the 32 and 64 versions.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

incoherent posted:

Has anyone see/heard of mac software that can connect to homegroups?

On the same note, is there anything that allows XP to connect to homegroups?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Official microsoft ISO -> USB tool

http://wudt.codeplex.com/

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

Dyscrasia posted:

On the same note, is there anything that allows XP to connect to homegroups?

You can connect WinXP computers to Win7 shares the normal way, just make sure the Win7 machine has a user set up that matches the user/password of the WinXP user connecting.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

mcsuede posted:

You can connect WinXP computers to Win7 shares the normal way, just make sure the Win7 machine has a user set up that matches the user/password of the WinXP user connecting.

Yea, I have it working like that now. Just wanted to try out this homegroup stuff, but I only have one Win7 machine.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Hey guys, if I build a new computer and use an old DVD drive I have laying around, will Windows 7 flip out and think it's on a different computer if I swap the drive for a better one in a day or so?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

GreatGreen posted:

Hey guys, if I build a new computer and use an old DVD drive I have laying around, will Windows 7 flip out and think it's on a different computer if I swap the drive for a better one in a day or so?

no

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

GreatGreen posted:

I'm pretty sure that adding or replacing a piece of hardware with something similar won't trigger reactivation. Replacing the motherboard or processor definitely will.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I see. Thanks a bunch!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Why would Win7 leave C:\Boot on the drive after installation? It looks like it's just installation stuff but C:\Boot\BCD were accessed the last timed I started up Windows :psyduck:.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Josh Lyman posted:

Why would Win7 leave C:\Boot on the drive after installation? It looks like it's just installation stuff but C:\Boot\BCD were accessed the last timed I started up Windows :psyduck:.

Well for starters, most users will never see \Boot because it's hidden by default. Anyway, it's the Vista/7 equivalent of boot.ini and all that. That's why it's accessed on each boot. It also keeps logs there.

edit: slash confusion :)

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 11, 2009

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

Why wouldn't it?

"\Boot" has been the standard location for Windows to use for over 3 years now.

If you let Windows 7 partition the drive, you'll notice that it creates an entire partition for \Boot as well!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
When I pop in the DVD to install Windows 7 for the first time on my new computer, will it give me the option to partition my hard drive the way I want to, or will I need to partition some other way?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

m2pt5 posted:

I'm pretty sure that adding or replacing a piece of hardware with something similar won't trigger reactivation. Replacing the motherboard or processor definitely will.

Only the mobo and hard drive. Not the processor.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

GreatGreen posted:

When I pop in the DVD to install Windows 7 for the first time on my new computer, will it give me the option to partition my hard drive the way I want to, or will I need to partition some other way?

You have the choice. You can split your drive into a dozen 20 Gig partitions if you're into that.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Here's another question about Windows 7. I've got it installed, but the internet is acting really funny. It's incredibly sluggish, taking minutes to access each new page, and Windows Update times out before it can tell me I need to update anything.

Meanwhile my XP laptop is racing around web pages like it's nothing. Anything I can do to fix the issue?

Fist of Fury
Dec 3, 2004

THIS TITLE CAN'T POSSIBLY BE AS OBNOXIOUS AS MY POSTS

GreatGreen posted:

Here's another question about Windows 7. I've got it installed, but the internet is acting really funny. It's incredibly sluggish, taking minutes to access each new page, and Windows Update times out before it can tell me I need to update anything.

Meanwhile my XP laptop is racing around web pages like it's nothing. Anything I can do to fix the issue?

You haven't given much information about your setup, but there is a very strong chance that you need to install chipset and LAN drivers for that particular computer. Those drivers are always an enormous improvement over whatever Windows 7 installs by default.

If it's a desktop machine, then the drivers will be available on the motherboard manufacturer's website. If it's a laptop, then try the laptop manufacturer's website.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

sisonpyh posted:

I'm unable to run any games through Steam with Win 7 Home 64bit (OEM builders version). Not sure what's going on.

Try making sure that Steam runs as administrator to start with. Also Half Life 2 will look like it's hard locked for the best part of five minutes if you install it, but patience will pay off.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Anybody know how to set custom resolutions to Windows 7? I have a 16:10 CRT monitor and Windows in only letting me select 4:3 aspect ratios.

I have a fully updated Radeon 4890 if that helps.

Fist of Fury
Dec 3, 2004

THIS TITLE CAN'T POSSIBLY BE AS OBNOXIOUS AS MY POSTS

GreatGreen posted:

Anybody know how to set custom resolutions to Windows 7? I have a 16:10 CRT monitor and Windows in only letting me select 4:3 aspect ratios.

I have a fully updated Radeon 4890 if that helps.

Like I said, man: Getting a real "You need drivers!" vibe from your questions. For this particular issue, you're going to want to download and install ATI's Catalyst drivers in lieu of the crap ones that get installed for your graphics card by default. After that, you right click on your desktop and select the ATI Catalyst menu at the top. There are a ton of options in there that let you tweak aspect ratios, overscan, you name it.

Think of the drivers that Windows 7 installs by default as a sort of bare minimum that you need to get the computer up and running. Even after you install the operating system, you owe it to yourself to install manufacturers drivers over the Windows 7 ones, as it will clear up the problems you've been having and will let you tweak things like aspect ratio with ease.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I installed the latest ATI Catalyst drivers, but when I right click the screen, nothing shows up that gives a hint of ATI anywhere.

Actually, I can't find any ATI menus or configuration tools anywhere.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GreatGreen posted:

I installed the latest ATI Catalyst drivers, but when I right click the screen, nothing shows up that gives a hint of ATI anywhere.

Actually, I can't find any ATI menus or configuration tools anywhere.

Do you see Catalyst Control Center when you right click on your desktop or if you hit winkey then type CCC?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Stanley Pain posted:

Do you see Catalyst Control Center when you right click on your desktop or if you hit winkey then type CCC?

Ok, found it. However, it's still not letting me add any custom resolutions. It's only allowing me to pick from a (very extensive) list of 4:3 resolutions.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
I may have found one of the potential causes of the 'black screen of death' that some people claim to have after that Prevx scare, and to no surprise it may be Nvidia drivers.

I just finished setting up a Geforce 8300 mainboard with a Geforce 8500GT to enable geforce boost (all things I had sitting around the house) It seemed to go over well until I started installing software, then occasionally the entire screen would black out when a program triggered a elevation prompt. By black, I mean can't see poo poo, not just darkened. After this happening a couple of times I started troubleshooting and figured out that it has something to do with the initialization of the VGA port. If it goes black and you remove the VGA cable and then put it back then the display will return, often without aero, but clicking anywhere will bring it back. Remove the 8500GT and it works fine.

If anyone here is still having the problem, are you running cards in SLI? Try the trick and see if it works, and maybe we can actually see if this is real or not.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Ok, I've done a ton of googling and reading today about being able to force resolutions and refresh rates in Windows 7, but have found nothing. Lots of people are having the same issues I am and every inquery I've found ends in "that didn't work, anybody else have any ideas?"

I'm starting to get frustrated, as there doesn't seem to be any way to make or force custom resolutions in Windows 7, and there doesn't seem to be any way to select refresh rates I know my monitor is very capable of.

I think it has to do with something in Windows 7 called EDID, which is apparently a completely useless mechanism designed to do absolutely nothing aside from limiting what people can do with their displays.

If anybody can tell me how to simply disable the EDID and/or force custom resolutions with ATI drivers, I'd be infinitely grateful.

KoB
May 1, 2009
The default Windows Photo Viewer doesnt let gifs play, is there a photo viewer that is preferred and is Windows 7 compatible?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

KoB posted:

The default Windows Photo Viewer doesnt let gifs play, is there a photo viewer that is preferred and is Windows 7 compatible?

Irfanview.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

GreatGreen posted:

I think it has to do with something in Windows 7 called EDID, which is apparently a completely useless mechanism designed to do absolutely nothing aside from limiting what people can do with their displays.

If anybody can tell me how to simply disable the EDID and/or force custom resolutions with ATI drivers, I'd be infinitely grateful.
EDID is not something invented recently or even by MS, it has been around for over a decade and is the standard format for communicating device information between monitors and display sources. It's designed so your computer knows what your monitor is and how to handle it so you don't smoke the thing by sending incorrect signals, the only limitations it imposes are for safety. You can not disable it, but there are programs that will let you override the information at your own risk.

Does Windows even know what your monitor is, or is it showing up as generic plug and play? Your problem sounds an awful lot like you need the proper inf file. And this is issue is outside the scope of this thread because it's obviously got to do with more than just Windows, so go post in the Haus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Be thankful for EDID support because for two years Ubuntu wouldn't recognize the EDID of my 22" LCD and would boot up to a giant letter L filling the screen because it thought the screen was 2mm x 1mm.