Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Wazzu posted:

Also not featuring him on PPVs much. He had his "match" against mr. T at WM2, but didn't have a PPV match again until Survivor Series 1989 (I think), where he brawled until it resulted in a double count-out.

Was it actually clean, or was it WCW clean?

For some reason I feel like Starrcade 96 was the match that wasn't announced as non title before hand, so Piper won, but not the title even though it was played up as this huge thing that he'd won and beaten Hogan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Zanael posted:

Coffey's post in the TNA thread about TNA announcing the coming of Hogan too soon made me wonder : how much time before the Nitro where Shane showed in did they announce WCW was bought by WWF ?
Basically, was it a huge surprise or did it take weeks to materialize on TV ?

It all happened on the same night.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Zanael posted:

Coffey's post in the TNA thread about TNA announcing the coming of Hogan too soon made me wonder : how much time before the Nitro where Shane showed in did they announce WCW was bought by WWF ?

The sale was announced the previous week. It leaked on March 22nd 2001, and was officially announced on the 23rd.

(The only reason I know this is I happened to listen to the WWF buys WCW episode of WOL that happened the day of the announcement. It's funny how accurate Dave and Bryan's predictions were, right down to Nash just sitting out his contract and becoming more valuable after things got stale.)

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 9, 2009

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Karmine posted:

It all happened on the same night.

And it was loving amazing, and part of why the Invasion felt so disappointing. What's great is that Shane had only recently debuted new music of his own to come out to.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Zanael posted:

January 11

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

MassRayPer posted:

The sale was announced the previous week. It leaked on March 22nd 2001, and was officially announced on the 23rd.

(The only reason I know this is I happened to listen to the WWF buys WCW episode of WOL that happened the day of the announcement. It's funny how accurate Dave and Bryan's predictions were, right down to Nash just sitting out his contract and becoming more valuable after things got stale.)

I listened to those old WOL shows a year ago and I was amazed how the callers came up with some horrible ideas that were still better than what happened. It brought back how bad the Invasion really was.

Samuel Lann
Jun 23, 2007
Insert Senators-related custom title here
Can someone please tell me where the music starting at about 0:12 comes from? It seems incredibly familiar and I'm probably going to be very embarassed once it's identified, but I just can't place it anywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qH_sYJP7aQ

nyratk1
Jul 24, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Samuel Lann posted:

Can someone please tell me where the music starting at about 0:12 comes from? It seems incredibly familiar and I'm probably going to be very embarassed once it's identified, but I just can't place it anywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qH_sYJP7aQ

That's Mr. Perfect's theme music.

Samuel Lann
Jun 23, 2007
Insert Senators-related custom title here
That makes sense. Thanks.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn
Bit off-topic, but can you guys tell me the best way to set up tournament brackets? I'm trying to set up the Match of the Decade tournament and can't seem to do it right.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

Bit off-topic, but can you guys tell me the best way to set up tournament brackets? I'm trying to set up the Match of the Decade tournament and can't seem to do it right.

Bracketology is my department broheim, IM me but first talk to Hulka about letting it happen.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

I say just do a point system like they're doing for the WH2K yearly awards. Brackets will just end up knocking out serious contenders in the first round, and there's no good way to rank stuff when it's all over.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
Anybody know where I can get some public domain pro wrestling images (shots of moves being performed especially)? I'm working on a browser game.

Supposedly these are PD but it doesn't seem like they possibly could all really be.

EDIT: I found some in Wikimedia Commons but if anyone else has some other resources that'd be cool.

El Generico fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 10, 2009

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

El Generico posted:

Anybody know where I can get some public domain pro wrestling images (shots of moves being performed especially)? I'm working on a browser game.

Supposedly these are PD but it doesn't seem like they possibly could all really be.

EDIT: I found some in Wikimedia Commons but if anyone else has some other resources that'd be cool.

Not sure if you'll be able to find anything useful, but Flickr allows you to search for images with a Creative Commons licence. I'm no expert on image licensing though so these may not be any use.

Example Chokeslam image found on Flickr:

This image has this licence attached: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/deed.en_GB so have a look and see if they're any use

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

apsouthern posted:

Not sure if you'll be able to find anything useful, but Flickr allows you to search for images with a Creative Commons licence. I'm no expert on image licensing though so these may not be any use.

Example Chokeslam image found on Flickr:

This image has this licence attached: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/deed.en_GB so have a look and see if they're any use

Ohh, cool. Creative commons is fine, I don't plan on charging money for this. Thanks!

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I was watching Rumble vids on youtube and I remember back when the WWE used to do live lottery drawings throughout the pre-Rumble Raw or Superstars or whatever.. when between matches the wrestlers would stand in the back and a little lottery thingy would twirl and they would pull out a ball and open the ball and read their number -- and they wouldn't say it out loud but you were supposed to gauge there reactions and tell if they got a really good number or a really bad number. And Million Dollar man would start chasing down the happiest-looking wrestlers and start making offers.

Was this awesomeness just a one-year thing?

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Supreme Allah posted:

I was watching Rumble vids on youtube and I remember back when the WWE used to do live lottery drawings throughout the pre-Rumble Raw or Superstars or whatever.. when between matches the wrestlers would stand in the back and a little lottery thingy would twirl and they would pull out a ball and open the ball and read their number -- and they wouldn't say it out loud but you were supposed to gauge there reactions and tell if they got a really good number or a really bad number. And Million Dollar man would start chasing down the happiest-looking wrestlers and start making offers.

Was this awesomeness just a one-year thing?

They seem to alternate that periodically. Sometimes they have it and sometimes they don't. One of the best moments was Rey saying that Eddie would guide him and give him a good number ... and Rey wound up going first :laugh:

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Writer Cath posted:

They seem to alternate that periodically. Sometimes they have it and sometimes they don't. One of the best moments was Rey saying that Eddie would guide him and give him a good number ... and Rey wound up going first :laugh:

There was also an awesome one the year before when Eddie got number 1 so he decided to steal Ric Flair's number.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I'd love it if they did it again, and Santino drew number three . . . so using a marker, he'd change it to a "B".

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Writer Cath posted:

Second, which is totally different. Reason I say this, is that some stupid people think winning from #1 is different from winning from #2.

Deranged Hermit
Nov 10, 2004

by Tiny Fistpump

Writer Cath posted:

Also, one of the years, Cryme Tyme sold fake numbers to Eugene and Super Crazy, I think.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Can someone give me a color scale on wrestler's mists? Which one is the deadliest? I think its black, right?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

DM Punk posted:

Can someone give me a color scale on wrestler's mists? Which one is the deadliest? I think its black, right?

Green: Acid/Blind
Red: Burning
Black: Poison
Blue: Sleep
Yellow: Paralysis

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Matlock posted:

I thought red made you grow a second pair of arms or turn you into a midget or poo poo like that. :flashfact:

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.

Matlock posted:

Green: Acid/Blind/Pregnancy

Poor Yingling...

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
I remember in the Attitude era, they cut to the backstage drawer area...and people were just pounding on eachother.

I love that little gimmicky bingo wheel.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Matlock posted:

Dont ever remember seeing blue mist at all.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
Wasn't black the one that made nidia blind for several months?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

DM Punk posted:

Dont ever remember seeing blue mist at all.

Happens more often in Japan.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
They also did the Royal Rumble drawing numbers gimmick in 2007 - which lead to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yv5jy1cfqY

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

apsouthern posted:

They also did the Royal Rumble drawing numbers gimmick in 2007 - which lead to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yv5jy1cfqY

Is it wrong that I miss Coach?

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is it wrong that I miss Coach?

Yes.

Next Question?

Deranged Hermit
Nov 10, 2004

by Tiny Fistpump
Here's that Cryme Tyme thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_wRQwmeny4

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

You know what I love? Huge crossover Stable vs. Stable storylines. They should do one of those. Like have Legacy/Regal's Group/Jerishow decide to ally together and run things their way. They are opposed by Cena/DX/Christian and his gang/MarkVP/etc. Have each side try to recruit the big free agents like the Brothers of Destruction or Punk. Have the Raw hosts change sides. Like the old Nation/DX/Corporation days. Let it burn for a while then blow it off by having Bragging Rights again.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Tag teams allying together? Survivor Series isn't for another 11 months, dude.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
In Bret Hart's autobiography (thanks Cletus42o) Bret claims he invented hitting the turnbuckle chest first (something I always associated with Chris Benoit personally, not having watched many Hart matches).

Is this bollocks as I suspect it may be? Does anyone have knowledge of any wrestlers before Bret doing this on a regular basis?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

apsouthern posted:

In Bret Hart's autobiography (thanks Cletus42o) Bret claims he invented hitting the turnbuckle chest first (something I always associated with Chris Benoit personally, not having watched many Hart matches).

Is this bollocks as I suspect it may be? Does anyone have knowledge of any wrestlers before Bret doing this on a regular basis?

All I know his that hit that spot a lot during his title reign when he faced bigger guys.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

We need to make a list of things wrestlers claim to have innovated.It would be a very long list. A lot of it would be Hogan.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

apsouthern posted:

Bret did this all the time when he was in the Hart Foundation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

I assume that's the Bret Bump