Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

I'm going to hold it like a teddy bear tonight. For anyone wondering, it's from http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk and it's pretty much as cheap as you can get adjustable damping (linked compression/rebound) and preload. There are some anecdotal stories about them being under-dimensioned and prone to seal burst and leakage, but at least they have (and honor, according to the stories) a two year warranty.

That just means you gotta go abuse it to make sure it works right! I recommend stoppies and wheelies.

Take pictures! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

When all my orders come through and I have time I will do a project thread.

Will do rear shock, race techs up front, steel braided hoses, some cosmetic touch ups and some tidying up of added wiring. Gonna have to crack open the forks before I know what race techs to order, those guys are a pain in the rear end to deal with.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
What are some fast bikes (600-1000cc) that are unique or odd in such a way that insurance might be almost tricked into giving me a lower rate on them? The popular bikes are close to 5x more than what I pay on loving car insurance. :smith:

edit: has to have abs as an option too!

dietcokefiend fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 12, 2009

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

dietcokefiend posted:

What are some fast bikes (600-1000cc) that are unique or odd in such a way that insurance might be almost tricked into giving me a lower rate on them? The popular bikes are close to 5x more than what I pay on loving car insurance. :smith:

You're hosed, enjoy poverty

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

dietcokefiend posted:

Why ABS?

Barring the ridiculous ABS requirement, there are plenty of fast bikes that fly under the insurance radar. FZ1, Bandit 1200/1250, Z1000, the Honda 900 naked, the name of which completely escapes me at the moment, the FZ6, Z700, Bandit 600. If you want to go older you can swing 1100 Katanas for next to nothing, 1100CB's are another option. 900RR's are old enough that insurance has loosened their grip, but they're still drat fast. ZX-9R's, GSXR-1100's, and FZR's in the 1000cc range are in the same boat.

There are lots of options if you dont need something brand new.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Phat_Albert posted:

the Honda 900 naked, the name of which completely escapes me at the moment

CB 919 (UK calls them Hornet)?

I really want a CB 599 for my next bike, so sexy.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

BMW R1100S

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jabs posted:

I saw it when it was here in Denver. The whole people are by far not the most interesting part of the exhibit.

I agree, the massive amount of capillaries in the arm and leg were mind-blowing, even though I know a huge network like that has to exist. I really couldn't focus on anything superficial after seeing the human body chopped into segments and dissolved down to its primary systems. I'll try not to derail any further.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

dietcokefiend posted:

Singles! The 690 engined KTMs are very fast up to about 70mph (top speed ~120ish), if you need to be able to drop a gear at 70 and hit 130 4 seconds later, they will not do. If you need to be able to power wheelie in second gear at any rpm on a bike 100lbs lighter than a 600cc inline-4 they're as good as it gets.
KTM Duke 690(R)
KTM 690 SMC

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Maybe power wheelies don't work the way I thought they did, because I rode a KTM 690 and it definitely didn't jump up on me in 2nd gear.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

dietcokefiend posted:

Call around. There was honestly more than $1000 per year difference between highest and lowest prices on insurance I was quoted. Having a clean record helps too... I ended up going with State Farm, who incidentally enough has my auto insurance too. They covered me on a 08 CBR1000 with 250/500k limits, 250 deductible on collision and 100 on comp for 383/yr. Progressive wanted over 1300 and that was with much lower limits. Take an hour or so and call all the major insurance companies -- you will be surprised at what you'll find.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

frozenphil posted:

CB 919 (UK calls them Hornet)?

I really want a CB 599 for my next bike, so sexy.

Yes, thats it, the 919 and 599. Great bikes.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
Guess who just found out what he needs to replace on his motorcycle to probably fix the tranny?

It's the shift forks. If you don't know, they're what actually slide the gears when you change gear. Now, when they're brand new they have a clearance between them and the gear they mate against of 0.01 - .03mm. When they wear to .05mm you have to change them, or it will cause your transmission to drop out of gear. I just checked mine and two of them are worn to the point that a .15mm feeler will slip right in. Three times the drat service limit.

So I just have to replace those, replace my sixth gear and whichever gear it mates with because it's a little chipped, buy an assload of gaskets and a new ac generator to replace the one I broke, put it all back together and it should work right as rain!

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

needknees posted:

Call around. There was honestly more than $1000 per year difference between highest and lowest prices on insurance I was quoted. Having a clean record helps too... I ended up going with State Farm, who incidentally enough has my auto insurance too. They covered me on a 08 CBR1000 with 250/500k limits, 250 deductible on collision and 100 on comp for 383/yr. Progressive wanted over 1300 and that was with much lower limits. Take an hour or so and call all the major insurance companies -- you will be surprised at what you'll find.

Seconding State Farm, the insurance on my RSVR is not that much more than it is on my Katana 750. I don't think State Farm will insure you for just a motorcycle though, usually you have to have some other line of insurance with them to do it.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

MrKatharsis posted:

Maybe power wheelies don't work the way I thought they did, because I rode a KTM 690 and it definitely didn't jump up on me in 2nd gear.

The Duke or SMC, the Duke is geared a little higher and it's a few pounds heavier. I've only ridden the SMC.

edit: Statefarm can be weird. My friend got a significantly lower quote on an R6 than an SV650. They said they based the rates on displacement. Might just have been the one agent.

Zool fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 13, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Zool posted:

The Duke or SMC, the Duke is geared a little higher and it's a few pounds heavier. I've only ridden the SMC.

edit: Statefarm can be weird. My friend got a significantly lower quote on an R6 than an SV650. They said they based the rates on displacement. Might just have been the one agent.

They do rate primarily off of displacement, but there are other factors. My ZZR1200 is dirt cheap with them, as is my Z1000. The SVs were a bit more expensive but not much. We'll see what they say about the 636 when I get that registered.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I've always thought Benelli were gimmick bikes, "café" racers for street posers. But drat, the Tre-K 1130 looks amazing.

There's something about black, white and red that sells a bike real quickly to me. Pricey though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Had to share this particular bit of humor from another site...

quote:

The reason the owners manual says not to bump start a bike is because it stresses the drive components. If you have a weak chain and start trying to bump start it in 1st you could, in a one in a million shot, break the chain. It also wears on the transmission because it was not designed to start a high compression engine. so if you bump start your bike EVERY time you start your bike, it will do noticeable damage.

But if you do it once in a while, typically when a battery is going bad, you'll be fine.

I had to bump start mine yesterday because I was working on it and left the lights on too long. Tried to start it and all i got was clicking. So i pushed it as fast as i could run, hopped on, dropped it in 2nd, and let out on the clutch. fired right up. It was actually MUCH easier than my Buell.

make sure you guys put it in 2nd to get it to work. 1st is too tall of a gear and it will just skid the tire. 3rd will probably work too, but 2nd has never failed me.

Yes, because pushing a literbike to start it is so much strain on the components. You know, so much more strain than 140hp at 100mph, as you shift into second and it powerwheelies. :v:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah, I think he seriously underestimates how overbuilt these bikes are. Switching from engine driving to engine braking by rolling off the throttle puts the exact same mode of pressure on the drivetrain and the engine.

It's not completely without merit though. Many radial engines have problems with the aeronautical equivalent of engine braking, i.e. having the throttle setting so low at high enough airspeeds (speedy descent) that the prop is driving the engine and the conrod load moves to the other side of the crankpin - where there's no oil port. Throttle up again at low altitude...wooops all engines seize up!

But that has more to do with an underestimated failure mode than a rule of thumb. If you clutch out smoothly to avoid a big lash I bet you could bump start your bike every day without changing its lifespan.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
All bikes should come with kickstarters :colbert:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

redscare posted:

All bikes should come with kickstarters :colbert:

I wish I could emptyquote in this forum

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
I am test riding my first liter bike tonight wish me luck guys :angel:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

I am test riding my first liter bike tonight wish me luck guys :angel:

Yo' gonna die!

Nah you'll be fine.

Just insured the ZX6R...180$ every 6 months for full coverage. :haw:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

Yo' gonna die!

Nah you'll be fine.

I was going to say that's cheaper than my DRZ, but I remembered I pay annually.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Z3n posted:

Yo' gonna die!

Nah you'll be fine.

:smith: Didn't go as planned

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

:smith: Didn't go as planned

What did it do to you? :smith:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Ola posted:

What did it do to you? :smith:

Well after I got there and saw the bike I had regrets from the start. First was money, next was I that I am pretty sure I wouldnt be able to handle the bike, and last was the fact you leaned over and DOWN on the drat thing. The PO kept talking about how twitchy the bike was if you downshifted too fast the backend would hop or so much as sneezed and the thing would come up to wheelie.

Honestly right now I dont think I would have the throttle control over a liter bike. There are a lot of situations on my road trips where a car comes out of nowhere or something and I give it gas to move out of the way. On the SV I can go WOT in basically any gear without worrying about bringing the front end up. On that thing with my luggage in the back I am pretty sure either the front would come up or I would lose traction.

Right now I am putting off finding a larger bike until the end of next season at least. Until then I still have my Isle of Man on the DVR :gbsmith:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Wow, I was braced for the worst possible story of you test riding in jeans and t-shirt, giving money to seller for test ride security, hating the bike but high siding on the way back and ending up with a bought, ruined bike and scratched up body.

Instead you showed self control, insight and practical sense. Much kudos. Which bike was it by the way?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ola posted:

Wow, I was braced for the worst possible story of you test riding in jeans and t-shirt, giving money to seller for test ride security, hating the bike but high siding on the way back and ending up with a bought, ruined bike and scratched up body.

Instead you showed self control, insight and practical sense. Much kudos. Which bike was it by the way?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Actually it was this one:

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/1467858126.html

Decided to get one as close to stock as possible. drat thing was in perfect shape.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

dietcokefiend posted:

Well after I got there and saw the bike I had regrets from the start. First was money, next was I that I am pretty sure I wouldnt be able to handle the bike, and last was the fact you leaned over and DOWN on the drat thing. The PO kept talking about how twitchy the bike was if you downshifted too fast the backend would hop or so much as sneezed and the thing would come up to wheelie.

Honestly right now I dont think I would have the throttle control over a liter bike. There are a lot of situations on my road trips where a car comes out of nowhere or something and I give it gas to move out of the way. On the SV I can go WOT in basically any gear without worrying about bringing the front end up. On that thing with my luggage in the back I am pretty sure either the front would come up or I would lose traction.

Right now I am putting off finding a larger bike until the end of next season at least. Until then I still have my Isle of Man on the DVR :gbsmith:

Is there a reason why you want a liter bike? I haven't thought, not even once, while riding my 20 year old 600 "you know what, this is too drat slow"

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

dietcokefiend posted:

I was in a similar situation not too long ago. I had a _lot_ of miles on various bikes but I'd really never ridden true, full on sportbike for any length of time before I got my CBR and I was quite concerned. Just ask Z3n, I bugged the poo poo out of him on AIM asking question after question about just how retarded a modern literbike really was. I had very similar worries because I really had no idea what they were like... If I hit a bump and nudged the throttle would the rear tire spin up then highside me into oblivion or loop the bike? Wheelie at any hint of what I consider "normal" throttle inputs? And so on.

But, I was pleased as hell when I did pick it up. It wasn't anywhere near as loving SCARY as I thought it would be... granted I was extremely ginger with the throttle for quite awhile. Is it retardedly powerful and amazingly quick? You betcha. But, it has never really exhibited the kind of behavior I expected out of a current literbike. At least on my CBR, there's no sudden jump in power at a certain point in the powerband -- it just builds and builds in power to about 11.5k then tapers off. If I'm hard on the throttle in first the front will come up around 7.5k, but not violently. It is a bit scary when you feel it pull the front up towards the top of second though :ohdear:. Hell, my Buell was much more apt to wheelie due to a shitload of torque all throughout the powerband. The CBR is much more linear.

The ZX10r might be different and have a huge hit in power somewhere, I don't know. I *do* know that if I rode around in the serious meat of the CBR's powerband all the time I'd be in jail or dead... but you have a lot of midrange that's a boatload of fun to play with and can leave that crazy top end for when you have the opportunity.

Sorry for the :words: post. Long story short: if you don't think it's for you, don't get one. Would I recommend a literbike to someone fairly new to motorcycling? gently caress NO. But, if you have a good deal of experience and can exercise some common sense, I dare say a literbike makes a better sportbike for the street than a 600 due to the much more usable midrange. You can ride it fast, or you can ride it slow. It's up to you to make that choice.

Or I could just be a squid :v:

needknees fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 15, 2009

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

redscare posted:

Is there a reason why you want a liter bike? I haven't thought, not even once, while riding my 20 year old 600 "you know what, this is too drat slow"

I was looking at liter bikes for touring. I didnt want the vtec-on-steroids type feeling with a 600SS when you wind them out. The liter bikes seems to have a smoother power band that would have been be useful when loaded with luggage out on the open highway. Not needing to downshift to pass cars and not stressing the engine cruising at higher speeds would also be nice.

Once and saw the thing I realized none of the stuff I wanted to do would be easy without a lot of work. Even with risers the seating position would be hosed.

I think I am just going to look at newer Bandits and try to find one with ABS.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

dietcokefiend posted:

I was looking at liter bikes for touring. I didnt want the vtec-on-steroids type feeling with a 600SS when you wind them out. The liter bikes seems to have a smoother power band that would have been be useful when loaded with luggage out on the open highway. Not needing to downshift to pass cars and not stressing the engine cruising at higher speeds would also be nice.

Once and saw the thing I realized none of the stuff I wanted to do would be easy without a lot of work. Even with risers the seating position would be hosed.

Oh poo poo I just clicked on that second link, I didn't realize you went to look at a Honda. If you were considering that (even for a brief moment...) you might want to scoot over to your local dealership and have a sit on one of the new ones. I ended up with an '08 and quite frankly I was surprised at how comfortable it was. They keep making them smaller and manage to improve ergonomics at the same time -- the reach to the bars isn't bad so you actually sit up fairly straight on the newer ones. And get this, they're selling for not much over what that guy was asking for a used 07 ;). There are some loving screaming deals on leftover 08s.

I didn't have much time to ride mine due to the weather getting extremely lovely (hello 15.7" of snow in one dump and 55+mph winds) but I did a few long~ish (225mi, 190 the next day) rides and never felt uncomfortable. I'm planning to go up through the Badlands next year as well as down to visit a friend in NM. Touring is definitely an option, comfortwise.

needknees fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 15, 2009

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
I have two dealers I frequent around me and I will call them up to see if they have anything sitting around.

At the end of the day the main question I will ask is will this setup work on a CBR1000RR?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

dietcokefiend posted:

I have two dealers I frequent around me and I will call them up to see if they have anything sitting around.

At the end of the day the main question I will ask is will this setup work on a CBR1000RR?

No, but this will. And I plan on ordering one shortly. It might look kinda goofy but it holds a ton of poo poo and actually works with the thin, wide tailsection of the new CBR1000

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Has to be hard cases, wont go with anything else at this point.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

This is the funny thing about (supersport) literbikes...the people who would be the safest on them rarely actually end up owning them. Unless you're one of the few who finds them comfortable, most people who'd be capable of handling the power and performance of one end up buying something else because it just makes more sense.

I don't really have a good way of explaining what it's like to actually ride a literbike...I had the same preconceptions as everyone else, that it'd be this total monster that'd just be ready to rip your head off, and it's really just...not the case. You can keep it spinning and it'll go absolutely stupid fast and do insane things, but if you short shift it, it'll putter around quite happily at low RPM and get you where you're going with a minimum of fuss. They just have very much of a Jekyll and Hyde personality, and when someone makes a mistake and ends up slamming the throttle open, you can get to that really quick. With an experienced rider, it's not much of a concern. With a new rider who gets flustered, it can end very, very badly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Why are you wanting to tour on a 1000cc supersport? Go for something like an ABS Bandit, as you mentioned, or a 919 or an FZ1 or something if you absolutely have to have a literbike.

You'll want to kill yourself after touring on a supersport, and all the above mentioned bikes have highway roll-on power like what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

dietcokefiend posted:

Sounds like what you need is a large-displacement sport touring bike, not a literbike. Unless you're into ruining your wrists for the hell of it.