Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

reality_groove posted:

We need to make a list of things wrestlers claim to have innovated.It would be a very long list. A lot of it would be Hogan.

Hulk Hogan invented wrestling :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
List of some stuff I can think of wrestlers inventing or popularizing:

Ray Stevens - The over the ropes flip bump used by Flair and Slaughter, similar to Mr. Perfect and HBK's.

Harley Race - Falling headbutt (not from the ropes)

Dynamite Kid - Diving headbutt (from the ropes)

Superstar Billy Graham - First big steroid user

Riki Chosu - Scorpion Deathlock

apsouthern posted:

In Bret Hart's autobiography (thanks Cletus42o) Bret claims he invented hitting the turnbuckle chest first (something I always associated with Chris Benoit personally, not having watched many Hart matches).

Is this bollocks as I suspect it may be? Does anyone have knowledge of any wrestlers before Bret doing this on a regular basis?

This may be true. It's difficult to say that anyone invented anything, but Bret was the first I remember doing that. However, you could also say that King Kong Bundy did it too, although he used it as an offensive move.

Writer Cath posted:

Hulk Hogan invented wrestling :colbert:

Hogan invented working the crowd, promos, Vince McMahon training.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Two that stand out for me are the Flair Flop and 'Playing Ricky Morton', as the Rock 'n Roll Express basically wrote the book on how tag matches go in North America.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Was HBK the first to take turnbuckle bumps by flipping up them and then back down? How about skinning the cat?

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Fairly sure Flair did that bump before HBK and I'm pretty sure skinning the cat was done by other wrestlers prior to Michaels. Steamboat is the first that immediately springs to mind.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
When you guys talk about the Bret Hart turnbuckle bump, do you mean when he goes for the bulldog, and his opponent reverses it by throwing him sternum first into the corner? I would find it hard to believe that no one did that until Bret started wrestling.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

When you guys talk about the Bret Hart turnbuckle bump, do you mean when he goes for the bulldog, and his opponent reverses it by throwing him sternum first into the corner? I would find it hard to believe that no one did that until Bret started wrestling.

No, I distinctly remember matches where he would be Irish Whipped into the turnbuckle, and instead of of turning and "landing" on his back, he just runs full speed into the turnbuckle, sternum first.

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist

Perdido posted:

Fairly sure Flair did that bump before HBK and I'm pretty sure skinning the cat was done by other wrestlers prior to Michaels. Steamboat is the first that immediately springs to mind.

Flair's was always over the corner and onto the apron (until he started loving it up with age and just sort of flopping wherever). HBK's, which he may or may not have invented, involved the flip back down to land on his feet and get clotheslined/big booted/sprayed with red mist. Justin Credible did the same but put his own spin on it in that he made you not give a poo poo.

FoodStampBrown
Jul 18, 2002

"You go get your gun! And pack a lunch, you're gonna be here a while!"

Perdido posted:

Pretty sure Don Leo Jonathan used to skin the cat on occasion. Also, didn't Jake invent the DDT?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Undertaker going Old School :colbert:

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Hockles posted:

No, I distinctly remember matches where he would be Irish Whipped into the turnbuckle, and instead of of turning and "landing" on his back, he just runs full speed into the turnbuckle, sternum first.

Yeah, that's what I meant when I asked the question originally. It just seemed unlikely that something so basic would be unknown before Hart, but I suppose it's possible.

The only thing I can add to this conversation is that the Hurracanrana was created by a 43 year old wrestler called Daniel Garcia while he was playing a luchador called Huracán Ramírez in a series of Mexican films... (at least according to Wikipedia)

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

The A-Team Van posted:

Undertaker going Old School :colbert:

Was invented by Don Jardine, the guy who trained Undertaker. :colbertx2:

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

FoodStampBrown posted:

Pretty sure Don Leo Jonathan used to skin the cat on occasion. Also, didn't Jake invent the DDT?

I didn't say Steamboat invented it, just that I recalled him doing it, is all. :)

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

We have Cena's 5 knuckle shuffle.

Before that was THE WORM (also, people's elbow).

Hogan used to pose before hitting the big leg sometimes (didn't he?)

Who was the earliest person people remember doing silly dances before moves while their opponents had to lay there not doing anything?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Captain Strange posted:

Hogan used to pose before hitting the big leg sometimes (didn't he?)

Yeah but Hogan posed before like all of his moves so I don't know if this counts.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Captain Strange posted:

Who was the earliest person people remember doing silly dances before moves while their opponents had to lay there not doing anything?

Do top rope moves count?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

FoodStampBrown posted:

The DDT had been used a few years before Jake got started in the business.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRayPer posted:

The DDT had been used a few years before Jake got started in the business.

Indeed, but in my opinion Jake the Snake sure as hell perfected it.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Jake the Snake invented covering a guy in snakes after he beat them.

(I think.)

Rockfish
Jan 26, 2004

Krylon Gold: The Connoiseur's Choice!
Jake the Sanem invented the donkey punch

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Rockfish posted:

Jake the Sanem invented the donkey punch

I thought that was Mongo McMichael when he starred in Blazing Saddles?

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

That was Alex Karras punching a horse. I refuse to accept that joke :colbert:

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

CM Junk posted:

That was Alex Karras punching a horse. I refuse to accept that joke :colbert:

I apologise, I had no idea that he was actually a pro-wrestler at one point. I guess you learn something new everyday...

Rockfish
Jan 26, 2004

Krylon Gold: The Connoiseur's Choice!
Oh and contrary to popular belief, Jake did NOT invent the dirty sanchez, though he was among the first to use it as a finisher, and his execution was admirable

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Didn't Toots Mondt invent most of the basic wrestling moves we see today? I know he basically wrote the manual for how to run a modern wrestling promotion.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Did Rugged Ronny Garvin invent the police-outline stomping every inch of your unconcious opponent as he lay helpless? nobody else ever did that, right?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Supreme Allah posted:

Did Rugged Ronny Garvin invent the police-outline stomping every inch of your unconcious opponent as he lay helpless? nobody else ever did that, right?

I think I remember the announcers saying Randy Orton got that from his Dad. Not sure if that's true or not, I've seen maybe four Bob Orton, Jr. matches in my life.

Speaking of, is there a longer ring name than Ace Cowboy Bob Orton, Jr.?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TL posted:

I think I remember the announcers saying Randy Orton got that from his Dad. Not sure if that's true or not, I've seen maybe four Bob Orton, Jr. matches in my life.

JR used to call it the "Garvin Stomp" but after awhile called it the "Orton Stomp". I don't remember anyone else ever doing it, but most of my memories of Garvin are from his feud with Greg The Hammer Valentine (which I thought was awesome).

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

JR used to call it the "Garvin Stomp" but after awhile called it the "Orton Stomp". I don't remember anyone else ever doing it, but most of my memories of Garvin are from his feud with Greg The Hammer Valentine (which I thought was awesome).

Garvin even pulled out a Sharpshooter to win their Submission Match at the Royal Rumble. I loved that feud, too; for some reason I just thought Garvin's constant insults as guest ring announcer were hilarious.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

CombineThresher posted:

Didn't Toots Mondt invent most of the basic wrestling moves we see today? I know he basically wrote the manual for how to run a modern wrestling promotion.

He was part of The Gold Dust Trio, who began the modern form of pro wrestling and promotion that exists today. Before that, the style was more based on straight-forward grappling. However, the Gold Dust Trio did not invent working.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Who is the Dirt Bike Kid? I heard his name being used in a list with people like Mass Transit and Mike Levy as examples of the business getting too real. Unsurprisingly, wikipedia has failed me.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Jason Sextro posted:

Garvin even pulled out a Sharpshooter to win their Submission Match at the Royal Rumble. I loved that feud, too; for some reason I just thought Garvin's constant insults as guest ring announcer were hilarious.

THE HAMMER JAMMER

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

projecthalaxy posted:

Who is the Dirt Bike Kid? I heard his name being used in a list with people like Mass Transit and Mike Levy as examples of the business getting too real. Unsurprisingly, wikipedia has failed me.

Jason Harrison. He worked a bit with ECW back in the '90s.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

projecthalaxy posted:

quote:

On 8/9/99 Michinoku Pro’s Masked Tournament 99 took place and a first round match saw Great Sasuke take on Dirt Bike Kid

The theme of the tournament saw each competitor wear a mask, with the loser of the final round losing their mask forever.

Dirt Bike, who was a relatively unknown European indy worker, started off the match by removing the mask they had him wear leaving only his dirt bike mouth guard.

This combined with Dirt Bike’s frequent no selling and unwillingness to let up on offence lead Sauske to take Dirt Bike down with a series of kicks and stomps which were said to have bruised or cracked the ribs of the Kid.

The match ended quickly with Sauske getting Kid in a front headlock and pulling up to make Dirt Bike legit submit.

http://wrestlinggonewrong.com/video/sauske_shoots_on_dbk.html

Dont gently caress with The Great Sasuke.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

projecthalaxy posted:

Well I guess you know about

http://wrestlinggonewrong.com/video/sauske_shoots_on_dbk.html

which was pretty much his only noteable moment in the history of wrestling. There was an interview, which i cannot find. Basically the story on that was Sasuke was organising a masked wrestler tournament. Invited mr Dirt bike kid, who never actually wore a mask. he kicked up a fuss on this instead of you know just wearing a loving mask and took it off after his entrance. Which defeated on the points of this tournament, as once you lost you unmasked. So Sasuke kicked the poo poo out of him for loving his tournament up by being too serious in his fake fighting.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

projecthalaxy posted:

He is an indy wrestler who was in a masked wrestler tournament. The promoters wanted him to wrestle in a dirtbike helmet, but he didn't want to, so he took it off before the match and wrestled in a much smaller Dave mask. His opponent (who may have also been the promoter, I can't remember), The Great Sasuke, didn't like it, and proceeded to beat the everloving poo poo out of DBK, and legitimately choked him out to end the match.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Ah, I had forgotten that this industry is unprofessional and carny ridden for a second. How silly of me.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

His opponent (who may have also been the promoter, I can't remember), The Great Sasuke, didn't like it, and proceeded to beat the everloving poo poo out of DBK, and legitimately choked him out to end the match.

Sasuke was the promoter, it was for his promotion Michinoku Pro in Japan.

iCloud Strife
Jul 24, 2007

by angerbeet
Who did Delirious wrestle that hilarious match in Japan with? Where they exchange silly looking elbows for ever and ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Edit: wrong thread.