Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe
I finished my second ever project and here is the boy modeling it for me:

Took just over 2 weeks with me knitting a hell of a lot because I'm still extremely slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuzz
Jul 2, 2008
^^^^^^
Wow, that looks amazing for a second project, clockwork.

This is my first washcloth, 1/3 of the way done. There are so many screw-ups I think I'll end up keeping it instead of giving it away.

Click here for the full 1216x2048 image.

I know I've accidentally increased the stitches and have some weird crap going on at both ends. :blush:

Has anyone used Dream in Color smooshy for a baby blanket? Do you think it would work or should I stick with cascade wool?

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

Stuzz posted:

Has anyone used Dream in Color smooshy for a baby blanket? Do you think it would work or should I stick with cascade wool?

My mom has made Dream in Color Smooshy socks and they are amazingly soft and cushy, so I think a baby blanket would be great! I haven't used Cascade though so can't compare, sorry.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Cascade 220 is Peruvian wool, which is not as soft as merino. I do have a few scarves made up in it and it's nice enough but slightly scratchy to my sensitive skin, so I'd imagine it wouldn't be so nice for babies. Also unless you're using the superwash it's handwash only, which most people don't like in baby blankets.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I'm making an earflap hat with Berocco Vintage Wool and its kind of thin. Has anyone here felted the inside of a hat or something to make it warmer? I've done welt felting and figured I could felt something to stick on the inside.

Thrummed hat? I think I'm going to try that haha.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Shnooks posted:

I'm making an earflap hat with Berocco Vintage Wool and its kind of thin. Has anyone here felted the inside of a hat or something to make it warmer? I've done welt felting and figured I could felt something to stick on the inside.

How would you go about just felting the inside of a hat and not the outside? I'm intrigued, because it might just solve a problem I'm currently dealing with.

Which brings me to my question...does anyone have advice for twisting while stranded knitting? I've been working on a fair isle hat and I'm twisting the colors every few stitches like a good boy so that I don't pull unused colors too far, but knitting with one color in each hand, every time I do this I have to drop both colors to twist the yarn around each other and it's getting annoying. Is there any way to twist the yarn like this without having to drop the yarn and pick it up again?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Genpei Turtle posted:

How would you go about just felting the inside of a hat and not the outside? I'm intrigued, because it might just solve a problem I'm currently dealing with.

I ment making a separate felted piece and either sewing or needle felting it on. Sorry, wasn't clear.

Right now I'm trying the thrumming thing. Lets hope it isnt a failure.

Edit: Yeah I gave up.

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 13, 2009

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.
Help! I'm having a problem figuring out this bit from a stitch 'n bitch pattern for a hat. I've made it this far:

quote:

Cast on 9 stitches with MC, divide stitches evenly among dpns, 2 sts on the first 3, and 3 stitches on the 4th. Join and work 3 rnds in stockinette.
Next row: Inc1 k1, (inc1, inc1, k1) twice, inc1 - 15 sts.
K two rounds.
Next row: Inc1, k3, (inc1, inc1, k3) twice, inc1 - 21 sts.
K two rounds.

The next step is tricky.

quote:

Cont as est. working 2 extra sts per round between incs and 2 rows even between inc rounds until you have 63 sts.

By continuing as established, as they referring to doing both rows as previously mentioned, or only the most recent row? Does this mean that I only add 2 stitches per inc round, or do I add the 2 extra stitches during the 2 rows between inc rounds?

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Emasculatrix posted:

By continuing as established, as they referring to doing both rows as previously mentioned, or only the most recent row? Does this mean that I only add 2 stitches per inc round, or do I add the 2 extra stitches during the 2 rows between inc rounds?

The only time you'll be increasing is during the increase round. The two rounds between the increase rounds are knit plain.

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.
So I can forget the "Inc1, k3, (inc1, inc1, k3) twice, inc1" and just do regular St st with 2 increases per inc rnd?

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough there. You'll still be doing the increase rounds, but you're just separating them with two rounds of stockinette. It will look like this:

K two rounds.
K two rounds.
Next row: Inc1 k5, (inc1, inc1, k5) twice, inc1 - 27 sts.
K two rounds.
Next row: Inc1, k7, (inc1, inc1, k7) twice, inc1 - 33 sts.
K two rounds.

Notice how the number of sts goes up by 6 every increase round, and is then followed by two rounds of stockinette. This is what "continuing as established" means. So you'll do an increase round, do two stockinette rounds, another increase round, two more stockinette rounds, etc., until you have 63 sts total.

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.

Z Is Overrated posted:

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough there. You'll still be doing the increase rounds, but you're just separating them with two rounds of normal stockinette. It will look like this:

K two rounds.
K two rounds.
Next row: Inc1 k5, (inc1, inc1, k5) twice, inc1 - 27 sts.
K two rounds.
Next row: Inc1, k7, (inc1, inc1, k7) twice, inc1 - 33 sts.
K two rounds.

Notice how the number of sts goes up by 6 every increase round, and is then followed by two rounds of stockinette. This is what "continuing as established" means. So you'll do an increase row, do two stockinette rows, another increase row, two more stockinette rows, etc., until you have 63 sts total.

Ooooooohhhhhhh!! That's what it meant be 2 extra stitches...you are brilliant and wonderful! Thanks!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
So at AC Moore's today I saw an automatic yarn winder. And I gotta say it looks dreamy. :swoon:

Has anyone here tried one before?

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
This is my first attempt at sock knitting, in the form of a Christmas stocking. No, I don't usually knit things that look like you'd find them at a church craft fair; this is a gift for the little girl I nanny and as she has the great misfortune of being Dutch, I wanted her to experience how incredibly tacky a Canadian Christmas has the potential to be :)

(Also totally joining the goon ravelry group, I'm on there as visje.)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Wandering Knitter posted:

So at AC Moore's today I saw an automatic yarn winder. And I gotta say it looks dreamy. :swoon:

Has anyone here tried one before?
I haven't tried an electric winder, but I have the normal kind that you crank yourself. I feel like I would want more control than an electric one provides. Sometimes yarn wraps where it shouldn't and you want to fix that immediately, and sometimes you need to wind at different speeds. I'm happy with my hand-cranked one, but I definitely wouldn't pay double for an electric one.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

Dogfish posted:

This is my first attempt at sock knitting, in the form of a Christmas stocking. No, I don't usually knit things that look like you'd find them at a church craft fair; this is a gift for the little girl I nanny and as she has the great misfortune of being Dutch, I wanted her to experience how incredibly tacky a Canadian Christmas has the potential to be :)

(Also totally joining the goon ravelry group, I'm on there as visje.)

Hahaha, that looks great!

edit for content:
I'm going to bring knitting with me on my overseas trip: a little bag of sock yarn and KnitPicks wooden DPNs. I'm going to print out the FAA regulations page in case but does anyone have any other suggestions?

jomiel fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 15, 2009

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
Joined because of this thread, well and GBS.
I read the entire thread today, I really like that sock, dogfish!

Klams Jam
Sep 8, 2007
I've heard that having something actually on the needles helps - so cast on before you go. Maybe take them out of your hand luggage with your liquids etc?

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

Klams Jam posted:

I've heard that having something actually on the needles helps - so cast on before you go. Maybe take them out of your hand luggage with your liquids etc?

I already have a half sock on there from summer :v:

You mean like take it out with my laptop, liquids, etc that I have to lay out? That's a good idea.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

jomiel posted:

edit for content:
I'm going to bring knitting with me on my overseas trip: a little bag of sock yarn and KnitPicks wooden DPNs. I'm going to print out the FAA regulations page in case but does anyone have any other suggestions?

Make sure the airport in the country you're flying to will allow you to take your needles with you as well, otherwise you might want to put it in your checked luggage on your way back.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

jomiel posted:

edit for content:

Take a padded prepaid envelope with you just in case they won't let you take them with you if you don't have someone coming with you that could take them.

dreadspork
Jun 25, 2005

Perseverance does not equal worthiness. Next time you want to get my attention, wear something fun. Low-riding jeans are hot.

Fionnoulla posted:

What kind of needles are you using? Aluminum? They're so slidey, I hate them. You could try getting a set of bamboo ones. I find bamboo much nicer - slidey enough so you can move your stitches with ease, but grabby enough so that the stitches don't just fall off the needles if you glance up to try to see what just happened on TV (or if the cat jumps onto your lap full of knitting...or if your two year old decides he wants to help. Come to think of it, it's a miracle I EVER finish a project)

Yes, they are aluminum, and they are slippery and drive me crazy. I will get some wooden or bamboo ones once I have some money coming in (poor student, boo hoo!).

As an update, I went last weekend to my ex's mom's house (we are all on very good terms) and she taught me how to knit. I had literally spent hours reading guides and watching videos online but it's NOTHING compared to hands-on teaching. She highlighted my problem areas (yes, I was casting on absolutely WAY too tight), taught me some simple techniques (hey! You can rest one of the needles up against your body while you wrap, and it frees up a hand!) and gave me a different type of yarn to work with. The yarn that I was using is a relatively thin cotton, and so it has about ZERO flexibility or give, and is a lot less forgiving when you're working with it.

So, now I've been happily practising away. I haven't made anything yet, because I am still making mistakes and when I do, I just start over, but things are coming along and I'm much better at it/faster than I was before.

She taught me how to pearl, too!

e: spleing r hrad.

dreadspork fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 17, 2009

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009
Any suggestions on straightening out my bamboo DPN's? They're size 3.5 so they're pretty tiny, and with the mittens I just made they managed to curve, right where my hand holds them. I don't know if this is common, and how I could go about straightening them back.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Robin Sparkles posted:

Any suggestions on straightening out my bamboo DPN's? They're size 3.5 so they're pretty tiny, and with the mittens I just made they managed to curve, right where my hand holds them. I don't know if this is common, and how I could go about straightening them back.

I have snapped so many bamboo dpns.

Maybe steaming them a little bit would make them more pliable? Still, I wouldn't be surprised if you break one entirely. I guess you could try holding them the oppeosite way and maybe it'll even out?

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I have snapped so many bamboo dpns.

Maybe steaming them a little bit would make them more pliable? Still, I wouldn't be surprised if you break one entirely. I guess you could try holding them the oppeosite way and maybe it'll even out?

I'm soo scared of snapping them! I can't really afford to buy more if they break so I'd be stuck using the little bits left behind, haha.
I didn't think of that, I could try running a hair dryer over them for a bit and holding them straight? The problem with holding them the opposite way is they just turn right back around into my hand.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I won't even try bamboo DPNs. I'm way too tight a knitter not to break one, so there's no way my work will slide off either.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.
I don't have any that small, but I just let my bigger ones warp. It hasn't caused me any problems yet.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Yeah all my metal 00, 0, and 1 needles are curved. It doesn't really affect the knitting, although I do like to drive myself insane trying to bend them straight while they just turn around in my hands. One of these days I'll clamp one in a vise and 'fix' it and then probably go right to the store to replace it.

Of cousre, I've already bought two sets and lost various single needles so I have like, seven of each size.

ElScorcho
May 8, 2008

Horse.
So I started knitting again after making one baby blanket eight years ago, and I made scarves for my friends for Christmas. I think they turned out really cool, and I can't wait to hand them out!

This scarf is the Cat Paw Scarf that I found on Ravelry.

And here's the Lace Ribbon Scarf that I found on Ravelry as well.

I'm also working on a couple of other scarves, but they're not finished at the moment.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Robin Sparkles posted:

I'm soo scared of snapping them! I can't really afford to buy more if they break so I'd be stuck using the little bits left behind, haha.

I'm not that tight of a knitter, but I just snapped a brand new pair of HiyaHiya circs. Bastard.

But I did complete a second aeolian shawlette and an aran-style scarf in three weeks. Now there are baby sweaters, Little Birds, Ivy League vest and a tea cozy on the horizon.

TauntTheOctopi
Mar 5, 2007
As if they could do anything about it!
Those are great ElScorcho!

Christmas critter roundup!

The black kitty is for a friend's gift. The other 3 were commissions. I've also made another of the polar bears for a goon. They're fun to knit - it looks like you're making a tiny bear rug. Then you sew and felt it, and you have a bear puppet! :3:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Aww Jeez, I've been drooling over that frog pattern for ages. :3:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I think i'm doing pretty well with christmas knitting this year!

I finished my brothers Koolhaas (http://www.interweavestore.com/Knitting/Patterns/Koolhaas-Hat.html) and my new sister in law's Snowdrop Beret (http://swallowsreturn.typepad.com/swallows_return/snowdrops.html) and mailed them off to Prague (even though my sister in law is still in Thailand, oops). I just finished my dad's Morgan yesterday (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall08/PATTmorgan.html) and it's blocking right now, I've got a few pattern repeats to go on my other brother and sister in law's Hemlock Ring blanket (so bored of this) and just yesterday I cast on for my niece's French Press Slippers (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=37170298&ref=em)and they're already felted and drying on the radiator. They are SO GODDAMN CUTE. I'm gonna cast on for a pair for me the SECOND I'm done with this stupid rear end blanket. Maybe before, heck, it seriously took about two hours to knit them.

I think this is the most knitting on one month I've done since I learned how to knit.

ElScorcho
May 8, 2008

Horse.

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

French Press Slippers (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=37170298&ref=em).

Those slippers are so adorable! Maybe I'll try making a pair for myself if I can ever get all this Christmas knitting done. Yay procrastination!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Okay, I need some help.

My little sister uses a knitting loom, and she wants to start making blankets.

Does anyone know where to buy the large pink loom featured in this picture?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

ElScorcho posted:

So I started knitting again after making one baby blanket eight years ago, and I made scarves for my friends for Christmas. I think they turned out really cool, and I can't wait to hand them out!

This scarf is the Cat Paw Scarf that I found on Ravelry.

And here's the Lace Ribbon Scarf that I found on Ravelry as well.

I'm also working on a couple of other scarves, but they're not finished at the moment.

The cat paw scarf is my project after christmas gifts! It's hard to see the pattern at that angle though...

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!

Okay, I need some help.

My little sister uses a knitting loom, and she wants to start making blankets.

Does anyone know where to buy the large pink loom featured in this picture?

Hobby Lobby, they are called Serenity Looms. They're in the needlework department. :D

ElScorcho
May 8, 2008

Horse.

Shnooks posted:

The cat paw scarf is my project after christmas gifts! It's hard to see the pattern at that angle though...

I know, it was kind of hard to see the pattern at any angle though, because I think the yarn I ended up using was just a little too thick, so it was really hard to see unless I stretched it out. If I could, I would take another picture, but I already gifted it. My friend really liked it :)

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

CureMinorWounds posted:

Hobby Lobby, they are called Serenity Looms. They're in the needlework department. :D

There's no Hobby Lobbys in my state. :smith: Does anyone know where I can get one online?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubySprinkles
Jul 8, 2008

There's no Hobby Lobbys in my state. :smith: Does anyone know where I can get one online?

http://www.craftsetc.com/store/item.aspx?dep=20&cat=53&subcat=30&IsOnSale=0&IsFeatured=0&IsNew=0&ItemId=94342

Crafts Etc. is the online Hobby Lobby.