Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dividend Special
Jul 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Quick question: My heat sucks. The 1-2-3-4 fan positions work, and it speeds up accordingly, but the actual HEAT, sucks. As far as I can tell, it's stuck on one setting, defrost.

Also, here's a clue: my cruise control doesn't seem to work either.

I cannot locate the so-called "heater water control vacuum valve" or whatever in the engine bay, and I also cannot find where the vacuum lines go to, from the little vacuum box in the bumper.

It's simply stuck on pretty much "low-meadium defrost" and in december in alaska, that really sucks.

Any suggestions to what I should do? It's a '98 XJ that I love dearly, but the lack of heat is making me want to sell it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Dividend Special posted:

Quick question: My heat sucks. The 1-2-3-4 fan positions work, and it speeds up accordingly, but the actual HEAT, sucks. As far as I can tell, it's stuck on one setting, defrost.

Also, here's a clue: my cruise control doesn't seem to work either.

I cannot locate the so-called "heater water control vacuum valve" or whatever in the engine bay, and I also cannot find where the vacuum lines go to, from the little vacuum box in the bumper.

It's simply stuck on pretty much "low-meadium defrost" and in december in alaska, that really sucks.

Any suggestions to what I should do? It's a '98 XJ that I love dearly, but the lack of heat is making me want to sell it.

Yup, its vacuum lines. The blend door defaults to defrost when the vacuum source is disconnected. Follow the vac lines out from the blend door/HVAC control.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Sponge! posted:

Yup, its vacuum lines. The blend door defaults to defrost when the vacuum source is disconnected. Follow the vac lines out from the blend door/HVAC control.

Mine had a hose fall off in the engine bay right where it comes out of the intake or whatever it is. Much easier to put back on that tearing the dash to bits, it took the cruise control out as well.

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008
So, after dealing with some family bullshit and setting me back a week on looking at the 2004 WJ I posted earlier: http://www.thompsonstoyota.com/VehicleDetails/563165863 im finally going tomorrow.

Since last weekend, the price has been reduced by 1k down to 12,999 from 13,999.

My family insists that I can talk them down even further and to "know my numbers".

I'm not much of a haggler, so are there any talking points in general, or specifically to that WJ that I could go to in an attempt to talk them down or get more for my truck?

Ill post pics if all goes well.

Edit: The dealership knows I plan on trading in my truck

nullfox fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Dec 13, 2009

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Hey Jeep guys, just curious as to where you obtain your recovery gear. I'm looking to pick up some D-rings, straps, a come-along and a hi-lift.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

WildFoxMedia posted:

So, after dealing with some family bullshit and setting me back a week on looking at the 2004 WJ I posted earlier: http://www.thompsonstoyota.com/VehicleDetails/563165863 im finally going tomorrow.

Since last weekend, the price has been reduced by 1k down to 12,999 from 13,999.

My family insists that I can talk them down even further and to "know my numbers".

I'm not much of a haggler, so are there any talking points in general, or specifically to that WJ that I could go to in an attempt to talk them down or get more for my truck?

Ugh. You should always bring up trade-in AFTER you determine a price. Negotiate the 2 separately.

Check out carbuyingtips.com

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

WildFoxMedia posted:

Random tips:

Figure out how much the thing is really worth, and use that as a guide. If you don't know the true value of a car, you can't deal.

Don't let them charge extras for warranty or any of that crap (dealer warranties are usually 3rd party ones, which are a rip-off). Your final negotiated price should be it. Ask about taxes and fees first.

If you have any discounts or trade-ins, mention them ONLY after the final price is negotiated. Otherwise, they'll just ratchet up the price accordingly.

Be ready to walk away if you don't get the price you want. Sometimes when you walk, they'll go even lower. Salesmen can smell how serious you are - you have to believe it in your heart (I know that sounds corny but they're really good at reading body language, etc.) The economy sucks right now, so *you* have the advantage. They should be desperate to make a sale.

Always act like you're getting screwed. Shake your head a lot. Don't get excited by offers. Act like they're ripping you off every second. It's all about playing the game.

If you have a wife or SO that you can bring, it pays to play good cop / bad cop. Honestly, I have gotten some great deals this way. You act all excited and eager to deal, and she just keeps shaking her head and saying "Not good enough." Again, sounds corny, but I swear it works.

See if you can find a better deal at another dealer. Or even something close. If you have a listing that's cheaper, they may try harder to beat it and make the sale. This also shows that you have real incentive to go elsewhere.

Good luck!

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 13, 2009

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

WildFoxMedia posted:

Go for $10,000. Doctor Zero is right, walk in, make some poo poo up about how "in this economy" you just can't justify spending 12k, your wifes hours are going to be cut etc etc. If the guy looks at you like you're insane, make sure he has your number, thank him and leave.

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008
Looks like the Jeep got sold

Theres another Jeep almost identical except that it has 5k more miles and is dark grey instead of dark blue at another dealership thats about 2 hours away. Same price as the other one.

Maybe I can do things better this time around and not tell them about my trade in, etc.

I imagine dealers these days have dealt with tactics you guys have mentioned - what would you say if they go "Okay, so do you have a trade in?" - Do you flat out lie and say no? Just not sure how to handle some of the situations that I know will come up.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

WildFoxMedia posted:

I imagine dealers these days have dealt with tactics you guys have mentioned - what would you say if they go "Okay, so do you have a trade in?" - Do you flat out lie and say no? Just not sure how to handle some of the situations that I know will come up.

I'd think you could just say "yes, but we'll talk about that after you give me a price." If they want to dick around with you on the trade-in before they give you a price, walk.

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008
Two times a retard.

The other WJ I found is a 6 cylinder...

In other news, CarMax seems to have a few in the 15k range with 50k miles or so, but I know they have a no haggle policy.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

WildFoxMedia posted:

Two times a retard.

In other news, CarMax seems to have a few in the 15k range with 50k miles or so, but I know they have a no haggle policy.

There is nothing wrong with the I6. It may not have as much power as the v8 but its super reliable.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

WildFoxMedia posted:

Two times a retard.

The I6 is a rock-solid engine. It will last you forever. Unless you absolutely have to get down to the mall 30 seconds faster or are towing a house, there's no reason to discount it.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Doctor Zero posted:

The I6 is a rock-solid engine. It will last you forever. Unless you absolutely have to get down to the mall 30 seconds faster or are towing a house, there's no reason to discount it.

Even then there is only a 1500 lb difference in towing capacity. Still plenty of grunt to help recover another vehicle or tow a small trailer.

4.0L Power Tech I-6 4-speed automatic 5,000 lb
4.7L Power Tech V8 5-speed automatic 6,500 lb
4.7L Power Tech V8-HO 5-speed automatic 6,500 lb

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008
My parents had a 97 Grand Cherokee with the straight 6, and I agree, it was a great engine but it had a big problem trying to tow the family boat, and sometimes even a trailer full of crap to the dumps - that was my reasoning behind the V8... well that and doing the good ol Tim the Toolman grunt.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
But on the I6 you can fill it full of cement, take the head off, and wire it up backwards and it will still run and run forever, save some sort of thermonuclear detonation within 3 feet of it otherwise it will still keep going.

Then later down the road when it has like a gajillion miles on it rebuild and stroke it out from 4.6-5.0 depending on how spendy you wanted to get. The 5.0 stroker is a bit crazy though w/328hp @ 5250rpm, 375lbft @ 3800rpm. I think revving the I6 up into the 5000s can actually open a space time portal.

Tossed_Salad_Man fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 14, 2009

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

WildFoxMedia posted:

Don't let the salesman drive/lead you around with discussions. The most I'd say is "I haven't decided yet" or answer the question with a question and side step it. It'll depend on the situation and how the salesperson is behaving.

Some guys are cool and are just looking for a quick sale, and others are like "You got my money in your pocket, I want as much of it as I can so I can brag to my buddies at the break room and make salesperson of the month"

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

WildFoxMedia posted:

My parents had a 97 Grand Cherokee with the straight 6, and I agree, it was a great engine but it had a big problem trying to tow the family boat, and sometimes even a trailer full of crap to the dumps - that was my reasoning behind the V8... well that and doing the good ol Tim the Toolman grunt.

How big is your boat? I towed my wife's car (granted it was a Toyota Paseo on a 750lb dolly) full of stuff (along with my GC being full of stuff) from CT to OH. I could hold 80 going up those loving mountains in PA. My XJ tows my 2500lb boat + trailer very nicely. It's no F150 but it's also a couple thousand pounds lighter.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

WildFoxMedia posted:

Fair enough. Both are solid reasons. :haw:

I rarely tow more than about 2500lbs, and my I6 hardly notices. I suppose if you have a giant boat that's close to the tow capacity, then yeah, that might be an issue.

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008
The boat is a 21 foot Bluewater cuddy cabin.

In a perfect world, it should be towed by a truck regardless, but having towed it with the 97 with the I6 out on the Northern California coast (Bodega Bay/Tomales) it hates every single uphill, and it wants to kill me every downhill.

So yea... drat drat drat - trying to find another Jeep with those miles, for that price is looking to be a slight pain in the rear end.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
You probably had an awful gear ratio on that GC. Without the tow package, the 4.0 only got 3.55 gears. Even with an auto, not great for towing.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

This strangely fits in with this topic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFybwg4wadI

Try guessing where each individual sound is coming from. :haw:

Lean Six Ligma
Nov 26, 2005

Dirty Fuckin' Dangles, Boys
the 'ding' noise when the guy messes with the jumper cables doesn't sound like something from an XJ...

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008
Do you fine folks see an issue with buying a WJ with 70k-ish miles already on it?

Assuming the pricing was competitive for the number of miles, etc is there some huge issue I should be wary of when buying a WJ with that many miles?

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

WildFoxMedia posted:

Do you fine folks see an issue with buying a WJ with 70k-ish miles already on it?

Assuming the pricing was competitive for the number of miles, etc is there some huge issue I should be wary of when buying a WJ with that many miles?

That's not much really. Depends on what year/motor though, what is it?

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008
2002-2004 V8

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
I bought a 03 WJ with 114k on it. Had to replace the water pump and it went thru the major service recently. Also put new tires on it (knew it had to be done though before buying) and I need to look at it again tomorrow as its making sounds like a wheel bearing is on its way out. I've put 10k+ on it in the last few months without any other issues, so this is all really par for the course of buying a used car..

edit - I have the v8 limited as well. I like it. Its not super fast, but its quick enough to be satisfying. Its 4WD too which comes in handy.

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008
Thanks, I dont feel so bad about something that my family seems to consider "high miles"

Coming from a F-150 my expectations of speed aren't too optimistic. Im also looking a 4WD model as well.

giundy
Dec 10, 2005
This Jeep:

Does not want to start. I posted it a page back, I got it for free from a guy from work. He thought it was an 87, after looking at the door jam turns out its an 89. In 1989 these had throttle body with the 4.0L. It sat for 7 years with no prep for storage. The first thing I did was change the oil and replace the battery. Seafoam was put in the new oil and directly into the cylinder heads. Next the gas was drained and replaced. In order to get all the gas out I turned the engine on to pressurize the fuel lines and then bled the system. New gas was then inserted.

I tried starting the Jeep at this point. It started for a second and quit. The engine turns over, but it sounds slow. I'm using a marine starting battery so it has the power to crank available. The gas is getting to fuel rail as is evident in the fuel pump pressurizing. I used a spark plug tester and replaced some of the old plugs. Each cylinder sparks normally. The air box hose broke off. It was shoddily repaired with duct tape before so I know that will be a vacuum leak later, but for now it means everything is getting air.

So, what am I missing? It gets fuel, spark (current at least) and air while cranking over. I thought this engine could run with sand in it, what wrong with mine?

The only odd thing I noticed is every time it turns over there is normal starter noise and belt noise, but also a faint low heartbeat for each turn. Sounds like air on the exhaust stroke maybe.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon

giundy posted:

Jeep Won't Start

If you've got spark and compression, you're missing fuel. It may not be getting past your fuel rails.

I have no idea about that Jeep, but mine (a 2000) has a schrader valve near the fuel rail you can use to spray in cleaner (disconnect the fuel pump relay first).

7 years without stabilizer means you've almost surely got gum all over the fuel system.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

WildFoxMedia posted:

Thanks, I dont feel so bad about something that my family seems to consider "high miles"

Coming from a F-150 my expectations of speed aren't too optimistic. Im also looking a 4WD model as well.

I bought a '99 WJ with 180k miles on it. Runs like a champ (now).

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
Crossposting from the Youtube thread...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFybwg4wadI

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

fordham posted:

7 years without stabilizer means you've almost surely got gum all over the fuel system.

Yeah, at that point you should have pulled the fuel rails and cleaned them. It's probably pretty gummy in there now. Get a new fuel filter too.

Might want to look at the fuel pressure regulator too. I think mine is going out (on my Explorer) and it makes it sound like a Huey.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Sponge! posted:

Crossposting from the Youtube thread...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFybwg4wadI

I posted the same video on this very page :v:

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

awesome-express posted:

I posted the same video on this very page :v:

But you didn't embed it... :colbert:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well my slut Jeep decided to take off with another owner. Woke up in the morning and it was gone. Serves me right for buying a white one. I think the next will be Red. Shame though, the white ones don't show scratches.

This time, I think I'll do 35" tires, the new Rough Country long arm kit, aussie locked rear and perhaps an ARB or eaton e-locker in the front.

Goodbye Jeep, you fleeing oval office!

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Exciting Lemon
Someone jacked your Jeep? What a loving oval office.

Or did you sell it? NM, I refuse to believe that :colbert:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fordham posted:

Someone jacked your Jeep? What a loving oval office.

Or did you sell it? NM, I refuse to believe that :colbert:

Yeah thats 2 this year so far. Stolen.

I live in surrey though, so it's kind of not a surprise.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=surrey

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
Didn't you have that black Cherokee before that got stolen, found, then stolen again? If I were you I'd start to get real suspicious about some of my friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
What about a fuel pump cutoff switch or even a club (one that blocks the pedals) too?