Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oredun
Apr 12, 2007

IanTheM posted:

Seriously? I mean I know it's limited and all, but why is it so hard to believe?

it just seems for the price of a handful of dubplates you could just have serato/traktor and be done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

How do you make that percussion sound which seems to end up in every action film sound track where it just sounds like rhythmic distortion?

I started thinking about it because I was listening to the percussion in Bjorks bachellorette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a1bfbk_yQU

But a better example would be this NI [lug which as far as I can tell is all samples and doesn't tell me how the sounds were actually made to begin with. Is it just filtered noise+oscilators or something? http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/powered-by-kontakt/evolve-mutations/?page=922&content=859

massive spider fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 14, 2009

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

In the Bjork song it just sounds like a snare+delay with a cutoff on it.

In the plugin the part I'm assuming you're talking about is probably just noise with a sharply automated cutoff, yeah.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

oredun posted:

it just seems for the price of a handful of dubplates you could just have serato/traktor and be done with it.

While that's true, money probably isn't the reason they do it, or they'd just run everything off traktor/ableton with a mouse.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

IanTheM posted:

While that's true, money probably isn't the reason they do it, or they'd just run everything off traktor/ableton with a mouse.

and it seems of all the places on the internet a bunch of producers would think dubplates are stupid. if i make a song or remix i play that poo poo out that night, i (would) think it would be annoying to pay 75$ or whatever and a couple of weeks for something i could do easier and cheaper myself.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6F3nc_I-w4 this song came out a few years ago.

I'm definitely not the hippest dude around, but I still see white labels from time to time. But most of the time, if a dude puts "(dubplate)" on his tracklist, it most likely means its just an mp3 the artists doesn't want released out of the few dudes he gave it to.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I've been trying to stray from minimal a bit this past week.

This one is as straight up techno as i've ever done. All sharp cuts and heavy kicks, still trying to do my own thing with it and add some texture though - not sure if it's worked.

http://soundcloud.com/downpour/tenement-offspring

Feedback is most welcome :)
edit: I think the start still needs a little work. Not sure what. I'm happy with 3:20 on though.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 15, 2009

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

cubicle gangster posted:

Feedback is most welcome :)

Maybe make the hi-hat pattern more interesting?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Something I seem to have forgotten how to do.

I did this to try and break out of a horrendous writers block. I think i'm still in it.
I'm going to break the whole track apart tonight and re-build it, see if I can get any inspiration.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
this needs to be posted here as well. if for nothing else, a nice lesson in sample manipulation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU5Dn-WaElI

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
That's insane, I had no idea half those sounds were sampled. My respect for Prodigy just grew even more. Then again they did come out of the old UK Hardcore scene didn't they? Same methods, I guess.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm trying to add a "record player" effect to my final mix, the entire mix itself so it sounds like it's being played through an old record player, with all the scratchy sounds. I've already mixed it to mono, but is there an effect I can use in Ableton to achieve this, or perhaps a plugin or just a sample I can put overtop of it? I can't find a sample of the sound for the life of me.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

This looks up your alley if you're running 64 bit.

stringless fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 18, 2009

pelswick
Jul 29, 2006

i dont care about report card
I ONLY CARE ABOUT GUITAR

Gyshall posted:

I'm trying to add a "record player" effect to my final mix, the entire mix itself so it sounds like it's being played through an old record player, with all the scratchy sounds.

There is actually an effect built into Ableton called "Vinyl Distortion" that may be able to do what you want.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

pelswick posted:

There is actually an effect built into Ableton called "Vinyl Distortion" that may be able to do what you want.

"Erosion" is pretty good for this as well.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.
iZotope Vinyl is pretty awesome, and free. It'll add the little pops and scratches as well as making it sound old and worn out.

edit: Nevermind i see this was already recommended.

(seconding this)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Thanks, I'll give them all a whirl.

FIHGT W HUBBY
Aug 16, 2009
Is there a way to run Ableton and edit audio files with Audacity at the same time on windows with the ASIO4All driver? Right now Audacity isn't even giving me the option of using ASIO.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 8, 2014

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
there should be a "release audio driver in background" for asio4all in ableton. cubase has that, but then again :smug:

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...
This thread is awesome for picking up tips.

Here's a song i've been working on for a while - if anyone has time to listen to it give me some feedback - Thanks!

http://www.tindeck.com/listen/sxzg

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
I currently play the drums and bass guitar but I've been wanting to get into electronic music for a while now. I'm a big fan of Squarepusher but also really like The Bloody Beetroots, Vitalic, Justice and stuff like that. I'm interested in making those kind of sounds but I really have no idea where to start. I was looking at purchasing a Roland MC-808 groovebox because it seems like a sort of all-in-one machine for electronic music, but it's been listed as legacy since November on Roland's website. So I suppose my question is whether or not the MC-808 would be a good start for what I want to do, and (if I should get one) whether or not I should wait until NAMM or Messe to see if Roland is releasing something new?

baw fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 24, 2009

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 8, 2014

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Ableton looks great and I think I'll place an order for it as soon as I find out what a controller is (I'm pretty sure you mean something with a buncha dials and sliders that works with the software.) What controller would you recommend with it? Cost isn't too much of an issue I'm really looking to make a serious investment in something that I'll be able to use for years to come. I'm going to purchase the whole Ableton Suite so I'd like a controller that gives me maximum capabilities. Any other advise/recommendations would be appreciated.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

baw posted:

So I suppose my question is whether or not the MC-808 would be a good start for what I want to do, and (if I should get one) whether or not I should wait until NAMM or Messe to see if Roland is releasing something new?

No. It's got a number of awful back-asswards drawbacks. The ultimate all-in-one is a computer; simple as that; the more modern the device, the more capabilities you want for a reasonable price, the more you'll end up with a laptop.

Yes on the APC, no on the Lemur if you still want to have a shred of your wallet left (it's expensive). Get a keyboard; if you want something that lasts, pick something that's built properly and that has keys that feel good, so go test stuff out.

Controllers last simply by virtue of being controllers; they don't care what they're hooked up to, and a single controller can (if you use a MIDI patchbay) drive several hard- and software synths.

It's not that synths themselves aren't good as controllers, but it's not a guarantee that the keyboard feels nice (case in point: Alesis Ion, Nord Lead 2); their strength is mainly that they're more hooligan-proof compared to those silver plastic boxes with clacking keys, dying knobs, and less quality control than lead-paint toys.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

I placed my order last night for the full Ableton Suite and the APC40 controller. I haven't been this excited since I got my first drum kit. I'd download it from the site but the internet here is terrible and it would take a week to download. I'll just stick to reading up about it while I wait for the goods to arrive in the mail. I really appreciate all the advice here. I can't believe I almost bought the goddamn MC-909. I would have regretted that lot. You guys are great.

I won't be able to go to a music store and play with keys until next fall, but from what I've read about Ableton the stuff I'm getting here should keep my busy until then.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

baw posted:

I placed my order last night for the full Ableton Suite and the APC40 controller. I haven't been this excited since I got my first drum kit. I'd download it from the site but the internet here is terrible and it would take a week to download. I'll just stick to reading up about it while I wait for the goods to arrive in the mail. I really appreciate all the advice here. I can't believe I almost bought the goddamn MC-909. I would have regretted that lot. You guys are great.

I won't be able to go to a music store and play with keys until next fall, but from what I've read about Ableton the stuff I'm getting here should keep my busy until then.
I recommend this book to everyone starting out with Live.

Live 8 Power

baw
Nov 5, 2008

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

I recommend this book to everyone starting out with Live.

Live 8 Power

Definitely seems like a must-have. Before I buy it, are there any other books on the subject that anyone would recommend? I don't want to order it and then end up placing another order two hours later. This one here has some pretty good customer reviews.

baw fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 25, 2009

ZeldaLeft
Oct 15, 2004
Waiting in the mirrors of the Hotel Lobby
how is this effect achieved at 1:40?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-2WAN7vQsw

is that a reverse grain and maybe a filter? more specifically, how is achieved from a live dj standpoint with mixer, cdjs, midi controller, dvs, et al?

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
Trying to get into this recently. Today I got a Korg Nano Control MIDI for christmas, I have Ableton 7, and I think I may get Cubase as well. My two questions: 1. Is the aforementioned controller a good starter controller? It wasn't very expensive, so I'm guessing it's not too complex, I just don't want a piece of crap. 2. Do I want anything else? I was digging around online, and my controller generally came with a sequence pad and a keyboard too, I know I don't exactly NEED these, but is it worth throwing the extra bucks to get them as well? Like I said, I'm just starting, I want to eventually be able to do live shows and poo poo but reading through the Ableton tutorials I realize that will probably take awhile.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

ZeldaLeft posted:

how is this effect achieved at 1:40?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-2WAN7vQsw
Could be easily replicated with TapeStop and gating.

ZeldaLeft
Oct 15, 2004
Waiting in the mirrors of the Hotel Lobby

FFT posted:

Could be easily replicated with TapeStop and gating.

yea? how? telling me about an unfamiliar vst isn't really the answer to my question. at all.

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary
Can someone help me with perfecting a tech house sub bass a la http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dkaAjqoLJw#t=3m50s.

I know it's just a sine wave, but how can I make it sound as punchy as it does in the above link. More compression? Better compression?

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

ZeldaLeft posted:

yea? how? telling me about an unfamiliar vst isn't really the answer to my question. at all.

how about you get it and learn how to use it? work on that attitude while you're at it, this isnt gbs.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
Some of you will find this interesting:

I've got about around five synths I regularly use, plus a few I use occasionally, and was interested in the basic sonic differences between each. So I decided to shoot them out in a controlled fashion. Before I get into the guts of the test, however, I'm going to emphasize how basic of a test this is because there's so much that goes into a synth's unique sound, and my comparison only scratches the surface. However, it does give a general feel for overall fidelity, filters, and oscillator quality.

To compare these synths I programmed a lovely little riff that includes a chord and an arpeggio, set each synth to either a sawtooth wave + sub osc or two sawtooths an octave apart (to mimic the sub oscillator as best as the synth could), and set each synth's filter to a wide-open LP with the least steep slope available. I also added a touch of reverb (care of Uhbik-A), matched levels, and normalized the final file. I didn't convert to MP3 so that there's no extra coloring of the sound outside of Ableton's summing engine. Here's the result:

http://soundcloud.com/will-ivy/synth-shootout

The synths are:

1. Ableton Analog
2. Ableton Operator
3. DCAM Strobe
4. DCAM Cypher
5. DCAM Amber
6. U-He ACE
7. Propellerheads Thor
8. Propellerheads Subtractor
9. Propellerheads Maelstrom

The results are pretty neat. I'm going to refrain from posting my findings here since they'll probably color everyone else's opinions before they listen, but needless to say the test confirmed a lot of my pre-conceived notions regarding the synths. There were definitely some surprises too.

I'd love if someone with some hardware or other synths could step in at this point -- the MIDI riff I used is available here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/fhjynyzymkm/SynthShootoutMIDI.mid. Quarter note is 120. It'd be interesting to compare the results. I'll probably also do a test where I close and open the filters to compare filter quality at some point, and I'll post the results when I do.

For those of you with Ableton and/or Reason, here are the project files I used: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nmn3mzgn1im/Synth Shootout project files.zip

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

colonp posted:

Is there any actual difference between the two other than setup?

I don't believe so, but I'm not 100% sure so I figured I'd note the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I'm a bit late to the party with this album, but I want to reccomed it to you guys for those that havent heard it.

Phil kieran - shh.
Has some of the best production i've ever heard, hands down.
It's fairly varied, the first track is electro and it goes through dubby techno to dark house. Theres nobody that can make a groove quite like him. Makes me feel like i've got such a long way to go.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 27, 2009

• Locked thread