Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007

bung posted:

I finally got to ride my bike after recovering from my vasectomy. I discovered that the front brakes are still hosed up making all kinds of noise. It's been in the shop 3 times for a total of 7.5 weeks for this problem. Time to start the lemon law process. :smith:

What kind of noises? Full floating rotors make lots of noises

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Starting to tear into the SV now that its parked. So far my checklist looks like this:

1. Remove all plastic, clean, dab paint over rock chips, polish with wax
2. Wait for Christmas and get my two Pelican 1550 cases mounted to my rack
3. Custom wiring for inverter and cellphone charger that will be mounted inside Pelican cases.
4. Take apart the HID light and document the various components so the other SV guys know how to set it up. Everyone deserves a light this nice on their motorcycle.
5. Remove exhaust, clean nasty poo poo off it, polish the titanium
6. Inspect spark plugs, replace if needed
7. Look into taller windscreens. The fake poo poo I have right now on the naked SV doesnt do poo poo.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Starting the paint on my 95 KLR650:

Starting to get paint off:

Half hour of hand sanding later. Good god there's a lot of paint on this:

From the looks of it, the original plastic was white, there as a coat of black paint on top of that, followed by a layer of silver paint, then a final coat of grey.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 15, 2009

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Another half hour. Looks like a chicken being shot from a cannon.

edit: anyone else see the checkers? any idea what that is?

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

Another half hour. Looks like a chicken being shot from a cannon.

edit: anyone else see the checkers? any idea what that is?

probably a decal sticker that was on it for a while

it sits in the sun and parts of it that were uncovered fade, while the covered parts stay the same

bung
Dec 14, 2004

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

What kind of noises? Full floating rotors make lots of noises

The owner of the shop has ridden it and agrees that there is something wrong. It's very similar to this sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1RaflkDAkU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Did oil and filter, cleaned air filter, and did a plug change by myself for the first time. Surprisingly easy. Unlike getting the bottom of airbox off.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
Did my first oil change by myself yesterday. Going to be getting a service manual so that I can start doing all the other little things on my own as well.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Got the damage estimate from the shop. At over $5200 to repair, it'll be totaled once the adjustor gets back to me. It's a shame but it means I can start thinking about something new. Those tri-color VFRs are enticing, but I'm thinking a Bonneville may be in my future. The other possibility is to buy another 2007 naked SV from one of the local SVR guys who just got an 1125CR.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I rode it in to work today! I just couldn't take it anymore - I didn't care that it was 28 degrees. I grinned like an idiot the whole time.

Although it should be in the upper 40s coming home, so that's not bad.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

I grinned like an idiot the whole time.

Something like this?

Very appropriate username by the way.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Ola posted:

Something like this?

Very appropriate username by the way.

Yeah! You know, once hypothermia sets in, it's actually quite warm and pleasant! :v:

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Ordered $450 in parts today. Everything I need, including tires and doohickey stuff, except stuff for valve adjustment. After all these parts it'll hopefully be good to go for a long time to come.

Stripping parts off to paint or fix - looking pretty naked:

First coat of paint, already sanded it and put on the second coat.

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

I'm the urban spaceman, baby.
How many miles does that thing have on it? It looks like it still has the OEM tires.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

14k on odometer, but probably realistically over 20k since speedo is broken and there's an exemption for mileage on the title. Tires are way old and super cracked.

I hope they aren't OEM because for some reason the stock exhaust is hitting them.

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

I'm the urban spaceman, baby.

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

14k on odometer, but probably realistically over 20k since speedo is broken and there's an exemption for mileage on the title. Tires are way old and super cracked.

I hope they aren't OEM because for some reason the stock exhaust is hitting them.

They're just similar ones then. The tread pattern looks the same and most people replace them with better tires, that's why I thought it may be low mileage.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Took bike to dyno guy. Fits PC3. FI light comes on and throws a code. Double check everything, dyno guy deduces PC3 just needs firmware update. Fire up bike, do test run. Bike refuses to rev past 7000rpm on full throttle. Hook up diagnostic plug. Check code. SDTV actuator failure.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

SDTV actuator failure.

Do you have a goldwing? Why is there a standard definition television actuator on your bike?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The NonBornKing posted:

Do you have a goldwing? Why is there a standard definition television actuator on your bike?

High def TVs weren't introduced until MY2006.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Took bike to dyno guy. Fits PC3. FI light comes on and throws a code. Double check everything, dyno guy deduces PC3 just needs firmware update. Fire up bike, do test run. Bike refuses to rev past 7000rpm on full throttle. Hook up diagnostic plug. Check code. SDTV actuator failure.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Why didn't he check the FI light when it came on? You'd think that installing something that's as intermingled with the fuel system as that, you'd check that first...

Also, is your bike like the R1 in that they can just be removed?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Z3n posted:

Why didn't he check the FI light when it came on? You'd think that installing something that's as intermingled with the fuel system as that, you'd check that first...

Also, is your bike like the R1 in that they can just be removed?

He knew of an existing issue with K5s and PC3s, and it started, idled, and revved fine. No actual issue until the full-bore run. Don't know if you can ditch them on the Gixxers. I know most people do on Kwaka's, but haven't heard of it on Gixxers. Definitely going to look into it though. Ripping it out will be easier than fixing it.

EDIT: From what I've been able to google up, the secondaries are actually useful on Gixxers, and removing them is only good for chasing top-end hp. Sigh. Looking like it'll need to go to a mechanic, I don't have the electronics know-how to fix it. Need to check voltages and poo poo.

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 18, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

He knew of an existing issue with K5s and PC3s, and it started, idled, and revved fine. No actual issue until the full-bore run. Don't know if you can ditch them on the Gixxers. I know most people do on Kwaka's, but haven't heard of it on Gixxers. Definitely going to look into it though. Ripping it out will be easier than fixing it.

EDIT: From what I've been able to google up, the secondaries are actually useful on Gixxers, and removing them is only good for chasing top-end hp. Sigh. Looking like it'll need to go to a mechanic, I don't have the electronics know-how to fix it. Need to check voltages and poo poo.

Ahh, i see.

It's not that difficult to check the voltages on something like that. Just buy a multimeter, plug in the probes, and do the tests.

I assume that he checked all of the connections, and the usual stuff like that? It's probably just a part replacement, nothing too complicated about that.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Doctor Zero posted:

I rode it in to work today! I just couldn't take it anymore - I didn't care that it was 28 degrees. I grinned like an idiot the whole time.

Although it should be in the upper 40s coming home, so that's not bad.

My experience today, word-for-word.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

:(

Guess it's off the tire shop on monday, probably not the worst thing to happen, the tires are the ones I bought it with and I don't think they're that crash hot.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!
Buttoned up my KLR today after I adjusted my valves. I had gone over the time period for adjustment on the valves (12k never been adjusted before). They were all tight (varied between .002'' to .004''). Sounds different now and I think that it might be a little more responsive. I also flushed the coolant system, so it should be ready another 6k miles this summer again. Had to test ride it, so I took it in the snow. Only dumped it once.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Rudager posted:

:(

Guess it's off the tire shop on monday, probably not the worst thing to happen, the tires are the ones I bought it with and I don't think they're that crash hot.

What bike is this? It's hot.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
Condensed CB200 and DR350 summaries:

CB= Completely flushed the carbs out, adjusted the valves all the wy around, reworked, adjusted and cleaned the points, replaced the plugs, refilled the battery, charged it, blew out the gritty, grimey tank filter, threw away the inline gas filters, Refilled it with fresh gas, added some seafoam, and she still wont run reliably. Stalls when going into gear.

Next up: checking compression, spark advancer, condensor, draining tank completely and flushing it out. Run, mighty honda, RUN!

Long Term: Once its running, add Clubmans, repaint tank, Pod filters, Rejet. The little Cafe CB200 concept lives on.

DR350= Blew Carb Cleaner and compressed air through the jets, focusing this time on the idle jet. Three pass through on this method and it was starting and idling reliably. I got jumpy and took it on a 5 mile ride and got home all right, took it out the next day and had a lovely idle again, sticky revs again, and dying on idle. Honestly, The carbs on stock DR350s are poorly designed and lovely. I'm probably going to buy a Mikuni TM33 or in the short term, just rejet this carb. I'd rather not even gently caress with this thing anymore as its pretty awful.

Next up: Non Vacuum petcock, non vacuum carb, buy a TM33, Adjust Valves, charge battery, and somehow get the stuck idle jet out of the stock carb. Hopefully I can buy a used pumper Carb and sell this stock carb, since the '90 Single Throttle cable models aren't too common.

Long term: Get out and ride the trails, rear end in a top hat

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

blugu64 posted:

What bike is this? It's hot.

CBR250RR aka the "Babyblade" 250cc 4 stroke I4

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Z3n posted:

Ahh, i see.

It's not that difficult to check the voltages on something like that. Just buy a multimeter, plug in the probes, and do the tests.

I assume that he checked all of the connections, and the usual stuff like that? It's probably just a part replacement, nothing too complicated about that.

A mate with an early K-series 750 had a similar issue and he's told me to pull the cover off, give all the contacts etc etc a blast of WD-40 and clean it all up and it should fix it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

A mate with an early K-series 750 had a similar issue and he's told me to pull the cover off, give all the contacts etc etc a blast of WD-40 and clean it all up and it should fix it.

That's a distinct possibility. poo poo like that is very dependent on good connections, as you're talking about very sensitive voltage ranges.

DiZ
Jan 3, 2005

I am Dizzunk, Certified German Lubrication Technician.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

If that doesn't work you can borrow the can of Electrical Contact Cleaner & Enhancer that I have left from my BMW days. Works a treat on lovely sensor connections.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I shall have to get that off you during the week.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
I finally got around to getting the battery out of my Triumph. I'm rather glad my wife and I paid for heated storage this season too, it was only 60-65 in there, but considering it was 20 outside, it's vastly superior to a) my buddies garage, b) my dads barn, or c) my mother-in-laws house.

Also, I took the gauge cluster off the Triumph, because the trip/reset buttons are broken, and I have to get someone to solder on the new switches I bought. I was going to try to do it myself, but with zero expertise in soldering, I figured that probably wouldn't be the smartest thing to do.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I just want to say, gently caress painting. It's drat near impossible to get something that looks good with spray cans. I sort of gave up on trying to make it look nice. Will have pics soon once I finish tank and rear piece. None of the stuff I ordered is coming till after Christmas :(

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

I just want to say, gently caress painting. It's drat near impossible to get something that looks good with spray cans. I sort of gave up on trying to make it look nice. Will have pics soon once I finish tank and rear piece. None of the stuff I ordered is coming till after Christmas :(

If you keep the cans in tubs of hot water while you're painting the temperature will make the paint more runny and tend to make it easier to get it done. Also lots of light coats with sanding in between.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

It's possible, but without seeing what you are doing it's hard to say what to improve. In general,

- test your technique with a piece of scrap.
- make sure you're keeping an even distance and motion. Don't hold it too far away, and not too close.
- lighter spray is better than heavier. You can always put on more, but once it runs from too much, you're hosed.
- temperature and ambient humidity matter A LOT
- wind will ruin your day
- don't start spray directly at the piece. Start spraying "early" and don't stop till after you pass the can over the piece.
- If you get runs you can sand them down and spray again.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Found out that my woodruff key snapped last time it started, why must all parts stores be closed on Mondays :argh:

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

It's possible, but without seeing what you are doing it's hard to say what to improve. In general,

- test your technique with a piece of scrap.
- make sure you're keeping an even distance and motion. Don't hold it too far away, and not too close.
- lighter spray is better than heavier. You can always put on more, but once it runs from too much, you're hosed.
- temperature and ambient humidity matter A LOT
- wind will ruin your day
- don't start spray directly at the piece. Start spraying "early" and don't stop till after you pass the can over the piece.
- If you get runs you can sand them down and spray again.

Yeah had all of this down pretty well. More the problem was that I just didn't have the patience for all of it. Sanding was taking houuurrsss for small pieces and I just couldn't stomach all the paint and dust and sore hands and uuuugh. I also realized that getting this bike to look pretty was way too much drat effort.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

AncientTV posted:

Found out that my woodruff key snapped last time it started, why must all parts stores be closed on Mondays :argh:

Lame :(

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

Yeah had all of this down pretty well. More the problem was that I just didn't have the patience for all of it. Sanding was taking houuurrsss for small pieces and I just couldn't stomach all the paint and dust and sore hands and uuuugh. I also realized that getting this bike to look pretty was way too much drat effort.

It's a KLR, it's never going to look good anyways. :xd:

I rode mine from San Diego back to Santa Barbara. I really, really need to do something about that too soft seat, it's annoying as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
loving SDTV actuator is hosed. Apparently Suzuki doesn't sell them separately. 'tis bullshit. Watch this space.