Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

In that Gif of Don West and Mike Tenay high-fiving, what were they so excited about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
How did the infamous Owen Hart impersonator, Jason Sensation, get noticed to be part of that D-X skit making fun of the Nation?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

rotinaj posted:

How did the infamous Owen Hart impersonator, Jason Sensation, get noticed to be part of that D-X skit making fun of the Nation?

Wasn't he selling poo poo on QVC or something?

Don't ask me which WWF staff member was watching QVC, though.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

At least they got him and not Don West.

GOP
May 20, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Rockfish posted:

Oh and contrary to popular belief, Jake did NOT invent the dirty sanchez, though he was among the first to use it as a finisher, and his execution was admirable

Yes, but Owen Hart was the first wrestler to use Voltaire's Angry Glove.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Voltaire%27s%20Angry%20Glove

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

projecthalaxy posted:

Ah, I had forgotten that this industry is unprofessional and carny ridden for a second. How silly of me.

To be fair, the no-selling thing comes in as well. He gets the opportunity to wrestle in Japan, he just has to wear a mask. He doesn't, and makes the whole tournament look silly. He then no-sells the promoter and excellent shooter who's angry at him.

You really have to read his version of events, he looks like a giant dick.

He got beaten up too much, but it's not rocket science, people.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
So, besides Sheamus, who else has won a world title on their first try? I'm pretty sure Kane and Goldberg have, and the Rock, if you want to count the Survivor Series tournament.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

Iskanderson posted:

So, besides Sheamus, who else has won a world title on their first try? I'm pretty sure Kane and Goldberg have, and the Rock, if you want to count the Survivor Series tournament.

Brock Lesnar, SummerSlam 2002.

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009

Iskanderson posted:

David Arquette.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Iskanderson posted:

The Ultimate Warrior.

DemolitionDestroyer
Aug 5, 2006

I am dead.
With all the talk about Hogan joining TNA and questions being raised regarding his role in the company, it brought to mind the start of his run in WCW:

There was roughly a year and half gap between Hogan signing and Nitro debuting on TNT where WCW Saturday Night was the company's flagship program, yet I don't remember Hogan ever appearing on this show. I remember back in those days it was rare to see the world champion wrestle on regular TV, but Hogan in particular seemed to only show up for the PPVs or pre-taped interview segments until Nitro began.

I know the Monday Night Wars changed the way promotions use their talent (less jobber matches, more PPV-calibur main events on free TV), but I don't remember ever seeing Hogan wrestle a TV match in the WWF or WCW unless it was a special like SNME or Clash of the Champions. Was this part of his contract or just the bookers way of building interest for his PPV matches? How often did he wrestle on shows like Superstars or WCW Saturday Night?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

DemolitionDestroyer posted:

With all the talk about Hogan joining TNA and questions being raised regarding his role in the company, it brought to mind the start of his run in WCW:

There was roughly a year and half gap between Hogan signing and Nitro debuting on TNT where WCW Saturday Night was the company's flagship program, yet I don't remember Hogan ever appearing on this show. I remember back in those days it was rare to see the world champion wrestle on regular TV, but Hogan in particular seemed to only show up for the PPVs or pre-taped interview segments until Nitro began.

I know the Monday Night Wars changed the way promotions use their talent (less jobber matches, more PPV-calibur main events on free TV), but I don't remember ever seeing Hogan wrestle a TV match in the WWF or WCW unless it was a special like SNME or Clash of the Champions. Was this part of his contract or just the bookers way of building interest for his PPV matches? How often did he wrestle on shows like Superstars or WCW Saturday Night?

I don't recall Hogan ever wrestling against a jobber on TV. He would always wrestle someone with some sort of name value, even if that person was one step up the ladder from full fledged jobber. I remember him on Superstars once or twice, but he was usually on Prime Time Wrestling. I'm not sure about WCW Saturday Night, but when that was their flagship show, he would have had to wrestle on there, right?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

As a kid I pretty much only remember Hogan doing promos on shows like Superstars and only actually wrestling on PPVs. I think he might have showed up a couple of times on Superstars for an in-ring promo where he'd be attacked by a heel, but I don't recall ever actually seeing him wrestle.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Jerusalem posted:

As a kid I pretty much only remember Hogan doing promos on shows like Superstars and only actually wrestling on PPVs. I think he might have showed up a couple of times on Superstars for an in-ring promo where he'd be attacked by a heel, but I don't recall ever actually seeing him wrestle.

This is how my memory goes as well but with one or two very infrequent matches on Superstars. Like, maybe 3 times a year tops.

BrutusBeefcake
Jun 6, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I don't ever remember seeing him wrestle on Superstars, but I'm pretty sure he would appear as a guest on the talk shows (Brother Love, Piper's Pit, etc...).

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Iskanderson posted:

The Original Pale Ginger

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Jerusalem posted:

That's why SNME felt like such a huge deal to me as a kid

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Carlton Banks posted:

That's why SNME felt like such a huge deal to me as a kid

It's also one of the reasons why SNME got such huge ratings like it did, because less people had access to different channels and it was the only way to see these guys wrestle that didn't involve getting PPV.

Artemis Entreri
Oct 2, 2005

by Peatpot
Those reasons are also why wrestling was so much better back in those days. You didn't have constant over-exposure of wrestlers. I remember it used to take 2-3 months for a feud to blow off without having the wrestlers ever compete in the ring together. The titles meant so much more because you saw them maybe 4 times a year.

I remember back in 93/94 when they had the first ever World Title match on RAW and it was the biggest thing ever because I was like "HOLY poo poo I'M GOING TO SEE A WORLD TITLE MATCH ON TELEVISION"

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

rotinaj posted:

I've actually been rewatching all this attitude era stuff lately. The first time I saw Jason was during one of the "crowd outside the arena" scenes on a PPV a few months before the Nation impersonation. You know the scenes where they would interview groups of people and they'd say like "HBK IS GONNA WIN!!!" "NO WAY UNDERTAKER WOOO!!"

Anyway Jason was clearly there, I think he had a megaphone and was yelling something. I dunno if that was before or after he was actually scouted by the WWE, but that was the first time I saw him on WWF tv.

Off topic, it's also really weird watching the Brawl For All now that UFC is so popular.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I remember Jason Sensation being pulled out to commentary and HBK asking him to do impressions of various wrestlers, including Owen Hart. I believe Owen was in the ring at the time. However, this was probably the start of the angle and not his debut.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

reality_groove posted:

I remember Jason Sensation being pulled out to commentary and HBK asking him to do impressions of various wrestlers, including Owen Hart. I believe Owen was in the ring at the time. However, this was probably the start of the angle and not his debut.

That was the week after the Nation Impersonation. Owen slapped the sharpshooter on him after.

I had completely forgotten about it, but Jason also made another cameo a couple weeks after that. Owen was in the ring cutting a promo, when Jason came out dressed as Owen. Owen ran up the ramp to get 'im, but Dan Severn stepped out to intervene.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

reality_groove posted:

Not sure when the angle started, but I don't think it started here. There was the Nation impersonation first, and then this section you're thinking of. Jason was doing commentary with HBK and HBK asked him to do impressions and King kept bugging him to do Owen Hart. Eventually, The Nation was on the Titantron and Owen Hart said something about "Don't make me come out there and kick the crap out of that piss-ant!"

Next thing is that King asks him to do an impression of what Owen just said, and he does. Owen then comes down to the ring and proceeds to slap Jason, then drags him into the ring and applies the sharpshooter to him until DX comes out to save him. Jason sold the poo poo out of that sharpshooter. This was on Best of RAW Vol. 1.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LividLiquid posted:

In that Gif of Don West and Mike Tenay high-fiving, what were they so excited about?

I've also wondered the answer to this. I've heard conflicting stories.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I've also wondered the answer to this. I've heard conflicting stories.

Wasn't it the announcement that TNA was going to be doing a live show?

Guzim
Nov 10, 2007

Take me away from this big bad world and agree to marry me. So we can start over again.

Jerusalem posted:

Wasn't it the announcement that TNA was going to be doing a live show?

I heard it was when they announced Joe vs Scott Steiner.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I hear so much about how bad Russo is for the business, but obviously he did someting right in WWF/E to get to the level he's at today. What were some good Russo-created angles from the early Attitude period? I want to say the SS 98 tournatment (mentioned earlier, why I'm bringing it up) b/c it had what I would consider Russo-esque moments (vacated title, tournament, screwjobs, blah blah blah), and while I didn't watch wrestling then, it sounded like a good PPV.

Anything else?

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

crankdatbatman posted:

I hear so much about how bad Russo is for the business, but obviously he did someting right in WWF/E to get to the level he's at today.

Everything I've heard seems to indicate that Russo was a success in the WWF because there was a filter for most of the poo poo he came up with. (Namely: Vince McMahon) When Russo jumped to WCW, they didn't have such a filter, nor any central figure of authority with the final word, so instead of only the occasional bit of poo poo getting past the filter, it was ALL going out there.

GOP
May 20, 2007

by Ozmaugh
I can feel Russo's pain. In my creative endeavors I've always benefited from having a voice of reason shoot down anything I come up with that goes too far... With someone telling me when to reel it in, I hate to toot my own horn, but I'm capable of some pretty good poo poo.

You never give Syd Barrett the ball without Roger Waters to reel him in.

That said, Russo's problem was that, in TNA, Russo just ran out of new ideas. I'd argue that even some of his late WCW ideas could of worked if there was a god figure to keep his ego in check and the ego's of the performers involved.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
That powerbomb/neckbreaker combination that the Dudebusters sued on ECW, isn't that the move that Raven and Kanyon used that broke one of the Villanos necks?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

TL posted:

That powerbomb/neckbreaker combination that the Dudebusters sued on ECW, isn't that the move that Raven and Kanyon used that broke one of the Villanos necks?

I want to say that instead of a normal neckbreaker, the neck was twisted into almost a cutter.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Since #1 is obviously Arn, who has the second best spinebuster in the business? Rock? Batista? Trips?

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
Faarooq. Just picked them up and tossed them like a ragdoll. Nothing Flashy whatsoever.

Triple H is a distant third basically cause he just mirrors Arn.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

TL posted:

I dunno about that, but when I saw the Dudebusters bust out that move, I was thinking, "Hey, isn't that Beer Money's D.W.I.?"

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
What match/fed is this? Is it online anywhere that I can watch?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

projecthalaxy posted:

Since #1 is obviously Arn, who has the second best spinebuster in the business? Rock? Batista? Trips?

Triple H is consistently the best right now. Batistas is always either really good looking, or looks like poo poo. I'm personally a fan of The Rocks just because the Peoples Elbow always follows it.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
No. Every one of those spinebusters sucks and isn't remotely like Arn's. Arn did a rotation before slamming. None of those people do that. They are barely doing spinebusters gently caress them all.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

FishBulb posted:

Arn did a rotation before slamming. None of those people do that.
That's just because he was too weak to pick them up without them running at him!

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
I am going to Royal Rumble in Atlanta this year. I want to start some poo poo rumors while standing in line to get in about who mystery entrants are in the rumble. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Moose Bigelow posted:

I am going to Royal Rumble in Atlanta this year. I want to start some poo poo rumors while standing in line to get in about who mystery entrants are in the rumble. Any suggestions?

We need believable yet not going to happen. Jeff Hardy.