Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

quote:

TAB highlights every interactable item/object/NPC. Bind this to whatever key/mouse button you have easy access to, because you'll want to use it a whole drat lot, i.e. virtually all the time, at least when exploring an area for the first time. There is a surprising amount of stuff you can run right past and miss in this game because it's not particularly obvious that you can interact with it for one reason or another.

To elaborate, there's so much crap in the mage's tower you can completely miss out on because it's all hidden in random books with teeny tiny hot spots. I didn't know about tab until midway through the game and literally spent 30 minutes trying to find all the books and click-ables while doing the summoning circle quest in the library.

And on that note, you should do the mage's tower first. You reach a point in the dungeon where you find these glowing objects that give you +1 to an attribute and there's like 12 of them total. Really great for a beginning character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

al-azad posted:

To elaborate, there's so much crap in the mage's tower you can completely miss out on because it's all hidden in random books with teeny tiny hot spots. I didn't know about tab until midway through the game and literally spent 30 minutes trying to find all the books and click-ables while doing the summoning circle quest in the library.

And on that note, you should do the mage's tower first. You reach a point in the dungeon where you find these glowing objects that give you +1 to an attribute and there's like 12 of them total. Really great for a beginning character.

Wow, the mage's tower and the summoning circle would have been incredibly painful without knowing about tab. I'm surprised you even bothered with it.

Also, the mage's tower is probably not a bad place to start, but some people have said they couldn't stand a certain part of it. Just be aware that stealth is a perfectly viable option to get through some parts. Also, make sure you finish up all the quests in the first town, Lothering, before you leave, because you won't be able to go back.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

al-azad posted:

Yeah, I missed virtually every single side quest in the Tower thanks to my lack of TAB at the time. poo poo like the glass phylacteries is so completely non-obvious that unless you just happen to mouse over the correct half-dozen pixels at the right time you'll be entirely oblivious to its presence; the Tower is particularly bad in this regard, but the other areas have plenty of similarly well-hidden stuff.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
I just got the game for 360. Is there any substitute to tabbing all over the place, or is it just not a problem because there's no pixel hunt involved?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

If you still need help come Sunday night I've got a few days off and could devote some time to the effort.

For sure. Thank you.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Any tips for Brutal Legend? Just got it in the mail and I'll have some time to sit down with it tonight or tomorrow.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Snot Man posted:

I just got the game for 360. Is there any substitute to tabbing all over the place, or is it just not a problem because there's no pixel hunt involved?

Things you can interact with glitter; they're pretty easy to spot.

Phenotype posted:

Any tips for Brutal Legend? Just got it in the mail and I'll have some time to sit down with it tonight or tomorrow.

You can only keep one save per profile, so if you want to start over without overwriting your progress you'll need to switch to a new profile. However, you can rewind progress on a current profile by using the chapter menu.

Dragon statues with red ball gags in their mouths can be unlocked by using the guitar's pyro attack. Large statues that are chained up with blue glows in the middle can be unlocked with earthshaker.

As soon as weapon upgrades are available for your car, buy them. You'll need them for missions soon after.

If you want to get every collectable—there are a lot—print out a map and mark them off as you find them. Otherwise you'll inevitably pass a few and have no idea which ones you're missing.

In stage battles, when your stage reaches level 3 you can upgrade your basic units. This is worthwhile because the upgraded units are much more powerful.

Draile fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 12, 2009

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Continuing with Brutal Legend, don't play the stage battles like a traditional RTS because you'll fail horribly. The idea is to rush to each fountain and take control of it immediately then move on to the next one. Sometimes you'll get into a battle of attrition which results in the enemy general fighting with you; defeat them as soon as possible to temporarily halt their unit creation and reduce their souls. Double teaming makes you 10x more powerful and battles can go from even to one-sided simply by having the general fight with their troops. If you start losing ground, rally your troops at a safe spot and immediately attack an undefended enemy controlled fountain to halt their resources. This usually results in the general appearing to fight you and it's a pretty good way to keep the enemy occupied because once they control half the field they'll have tons of resources and attack you unmercifully.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Silent storm/Silent storm sentinels: What should I know?

I heard this game needs a bunch of mods to be good. What mods should I get?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Like the others have said, the stage battles have a fairly unique style of play. Keep moving forward and use double-team moves non stop.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I could use some advice for Warhawk. Starting an online-only game two years after release probably wasn't such a smart idea on my part. I just wanted to fly planes, but I always get killed to death before I can find one.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Any tips for Way of the Samurai 3. I played the original and I'm familiar with the concept but any new additions I should be aware of? Any things I want to avoid as to not gently caress the game up?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What some good tips for Tropic 1 and 2.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I just picked up Hitman: Blood Money on the 360 for peanuts. I have never played any of the hitman games. Anything I should know before I start?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

SiKboy posted:

I just picked up Hitman: Blood Money on the 360 for peanuts. I have never played any of the hitman games. Anything I should know before I start?

Don't worry about getting Silent Assassin ratings on your first try. A lot of the game is keeping track of guard and target routs. You can always go back and play again later once you get more skilled at hiding in plain sight. There's multiple ways of killing your targets, from stealth to arranged accidents.

You must carry a new gun to the storage case in each level if you want to keep it for your armory.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Okay, I've been wanting to get into Castlevania for a long drat time now. I bought Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles for my PSP Go and fell in love with it, but there's so many Castlevania games I don't know which ones to play and which to avoid.

My experience with Castlevania is literally Symphony of the Night and Rondo of Blood, that's it. What should I be playing? I talked to some people and they all just said "1 through 4" but I'd like some other opinions just in case.

McKracken posted:

Any tips for Way of the Samurai 3. I played the original and I'm familiar with the concept but any new additions I should be aware of? Any things I want to avoid as to not gently caress the game up?

As opposed to the previous games, there is virtually no way to gently caress up your character or your game. You could potentially get a bad roll on the blacksmith when improving your sword, but it's impossible to lose your money, swords, items when dying or on New Game+. Don't worry about it, just play as you go and figure it out.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Policenaut posted:

My experience with Castlevania is literally Symphony of the Night and Rondo of Blood, that's it. What should I be playing? I talked to some people and they all just said "1 through 4" but I'd like some other opinions just in case.

Super Castlevania IV on the SNES is the best of the traditional, linear action-platformer titles in the series. II sucks, avoid it. I and III are really good but balls to the wall difficult. IV is very difficult too but it feels more fair because you're given more control over the whip. I don't have any personal experience with any of the Dracula X games.

Once the series stops playing like a traditional linear action platformer and more Metroid RPG style like Symphony of the Night, you're onto Nintendo handhelds after Symphony as far as I know. On GBA, Aria of Sorrow and Circle of the Moon are the best, and on DS, all three are good but Ecclesia is the most difficult and linear of the three, and you'll either like it a lot more or a lot less. Personally, I think Portrait of Ruin is best on the DS, it has a really neat two-character gimmick.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Policenaut posted:

Okay, I've been wanting to get into Castlevania for a long drat time now. I bought Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles for my PSP Go and fell in love with it, but there's so many Castlevania games I don't know which ones to play and which to avoid.

Thanks for the Samurai tips, as for Castlevania, here are my thoughts.

I seem to remember people complaining about it at the time of release, but I really enjoyed Castlevania 64. Not sure what the consensus is looking back on the game, but if you still have a N64 laying around, and you can find the special edition (Legacy of Darkness) I'd give it a go.

If you're looking more for the 2D side scrolling, Super Castlevania is your best choice besides the games you've already played. Also I enjoyed Castlevania III if for nothing else than its non-linearity. I can't say anything about the GBA or DS games.

If you want 3D and you don't want to go the C64 route, you have Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness for the PS2. If you liked SotN you will probably like Curse of Darkness, it's got a similar concept (non-whip character) and the level layout is similar in style to SotN, just 3D. Lament of Innocent was alright, but it was sort of a DMC clone and at this point unless you're really starved for Castlevania games there's not much reason to play it over the other options.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Policenaut posted:

Well, you've got Rondo of Blood out of the way so you've gotten through what I feel is the best level-based Castlevania. I'd follow-up it up then with the aforementioned recommended Super Castlevania IV. Not quite as fast-paced or tightened control-wise as Rondo of Blood in my opinion, but it has pretty much all of the good of the NES games but it's actually beatable. That makes it sound easy, but it's still challenging enough.

After that, the Metroid-style ones are probably next. All six are worth playing:

Circle of the Moon (GBA): Dated graphically, but it's very challenging.
Harmony of Dissonance (GBA): Terrible music, irritating Castle design. Probably the least popular of the six, but at least the boss rush mode is cool.
Aria of Sorrow (GBA): Very unique soul system, and overall the strongest of the GBA titles.

Dawn of Sorrow (DS): It may be mostly an updated version of Aria, but there's enough new enough about it (and Aria was the best GBA game anyway). Also Julius Mode is amazing.
Portrait of Ruin (DS): The least popular of the DS titles, for some reason I don't really understand (the anime portraits I guess?). Still very solid, though I would do the other two DS games first.
Order of Ecclesia (DS): My favorite of these six besides maybe Aria. Good challenge, and a somewhat non-linear method of exploration akin to Castlevania 2.

Placebo
Sep 21, 2009
I just recently grabbed Devil May Cry 3 and Mark of Kri.

I've played and beaten DMC, didn't touch 2 or 4 yet, so a lot of these features are new to me. Been messing around with the styles and Royal Guard seems awful, but I don't know. Mark of Kri was at the suggestion of a roommate.

Any tips for either?

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Furthering the gay Mexican agenda.

Placebo posted:

I've played and beaten DMC, didn't touch 2 or 4 yet, so a lot of these features are new to me. Been messing around with the styles and Royal Guard seems awful, but I don't know. Mark of Kri was at the suggestion of a roommate.

Any tips for either?

Depending on what difficulty you're on, DMC 3 can be quite difficult, however once you get it down, it's very rewarding. I would recommend switching out between all of your weapons constantly in a fight just to get for how they all flow into each other and what you like best.

Royal Guard can be the best style to use in the game, but it takes a ton of practice. Basically, if you press the block button right as the enemies attack, they'll get repelled and you'll get a bigger boost in your gauge. If you do the attack right as the enemy hits, you'll go right through them and do a ton of damage. This can be used on bosses as well, but again, this takes a lot of practice. Unless you're planning on playing all the way through Dante Must Die mode, there's not really a need to learn how to use it correctly.

Placebo
Sep 21, 2009
The only option I saw was Normal, and then gold and yellow. I know they're different but I just put it on yellow, I don't exactly remember how they were different and it didn't come with a guide.

It seems like an interesting style though, I want to try it out some.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008

Placebo posted:

Any tips for either?

Mark of Kri: Practice, practice, practice those combos. Most of the time you should be stealthing, of course, but it really helps to be able to pull off an impressive combo and make enemies freak out/knock their armor off/kill them quick.
This means that it often pays to lock-on to one enemy at a time, and sometimes you shouldn't use lock-on at all and just steer Rau around in whatever crazy combo he's in. The latter applies especially in the endgame.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

SiKboy posted:

If no one can see your face, they won't expect you to strangle them easily. They know who you are if they turn their head.
Turn around if someone is approaching you if you intend to attack them.

You can sometimes walk into restricted areas and get shot at but they might leave you alone if you get out of there quickly and without being violent. It might not count as being caught.

Wait for someone to lean over railings and push them off, except a certain fat woman on a cruise ship.

Sneak up behind people with your gun drawn and hold them, then knock them out and drag them away from open places. They will only get up if someone touches the body.

Use weapons/uniforms appropriate to the situation for restricted areas or just sneaking.

Take your time in missions.

Big L
Oct 30, 2005

Fedora Emelianenko
Just finished playing through Silent Hill for the first time (yay PSN!) and am looking forward to playing Silent Hill 2.

Any tips or things I should watch out for?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Big L posted:

Just finished playing through Silent Hill for the first time (yay PSN!) and am looking forward to playing Silent Hill 2.

Any tips or things I should watch out for?

During your first "fight" with Pyramid Head, you're supposed to just avoid him until a scripted event. He can't be killed. Ever.

Also, the ending, like in the first game, is influenced by actions you can take that won't seem to have an obvious effect. In SH2, these actions include things like how many times you look at your wife's picture in your inventory, how often you check on Maria when she's recovering in the hospital bed, etc.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable

SiKboy posted:

There are a couple of tricks that I've found that makes the game a lot easier: Firstly as Scalding Coffee pointed out you can use your pistol to knock people you've grabbed out. This works in exactly the same way as the sedative except you can use it as many times as you like. The second trick is a little counter intuitive but if you're trying to avoid killing anybody but your targets then obviously trying to dispose of a troublesome guard by pushing him off a cliff, into the water or similar is not a good idea. Knocking him out before hand using the method described above on the otherhand is perfectly fine, provided they're unconcious first you could toss absolutely everyone in the level off a cliff and your rating will never be affected.

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

Learn to love the coin. It's almost like cheating.

You're first play through is not going to be perfect, I actually found my first play through extremely frustrating because I had to do everything perfectly, but if you hit a wall and find yourself having to drop a grenade on someone or blowing someones head off and sprinting to the mission end, so be it. You can always play it again.

Also don't waste any money upgrading anything but your Misc items (Like lock picks) and your silverballers with silencers and low noise ammo until the end. Sure the upgraded shotgun or M16 is fun to mow down everyone on a level with, but other then doing that you never really get to use them. Even the sniper rifle has very few opportunities for use and even in those instances a silverballer with a scope works just as well.

I'm reinstalling, Blood Money was a great game.

Mrens fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Dec 15, 2009

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Binowru posted:

During your first "fight" with Pyramid Head, you're supposed to just avoid him until a scripted event. He can't be killed. Ever.

Also, the ending, like in the first game, is influenced by actions you can take that won't seem to have an obvious effect. In SH2, these actions include things like how many times you look at your wife's picture in your inventory, how often you check on Maria when she's recovering in the hospital bed, etc.
The first is very bad advice as the battle will last several minutes of kill swinging. Shoot him until the noise starts and then you let him leave the room. He does appear at times where you should avoid him or delay him and run away.

Looking at the knife and picture in the end was all I needed to get a bad ending. I guess if you are perfect, it wouldn't happen that easily. Taking damage and staying in the red also influences it.

When you escort someone, you can run right to the bowling alley and end it quickly without fear of her dying.

Blood Money
I think you can safely show off the detonator in public, but the mine will cause hell to occur.

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious

Holistic Detective posted:

The second trick is a little counter intuitive but if you're trying to avoid killing anybody but your targets then obviously trying to dispose of a troublesome guard by pushing him off a cliff, into the water or similar is not a good idea. Knocking him out before hand using the method described above on the otherhand is perfectly fine, provided they're unconcious first you could toss absolutely everyone in the level off a cliff and your rating will never be affected.

You can shove people off cliffs to your hearts desire. They count as accidents, not killings, and never affect your rating. This might be different on the 360, but I doubt it.

Other tips:
Someone else mentioned it, but take your time. Theres no time limit to missions, and time taken doesn't matter for your rating. There are some missions where waiting is the only way to get excellent "accidental" kills.

Look around your environment carefully. I don't think theres any level where you only have one chance to kill your mark, so take the time to explore. You can set up some really clever situations if you plan ahead.

Was also said, but I'll re-enforce. Don't bother upgrading any weapon but the silver baller until late in the game. Get the improvements, but leave the SMG, shotgun and sniper rifle alone, probably until you're done the game. It's fun to clear a level Rambo style once in a while, but the most rewarding experience is to finish the game with the only evidence of you having been there be the corpses of your targets.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

I just bought Dragon Age: Origins on Steam and I'm looking for tips. I've started a human mage and I'm wondering which stats (beyond Magic :rolleye:) to put stats in. Also, the Arcane Warrior specialization looks pretty nice, but is there anything I should know about what it takes to get that? Oh and any general tips would be appreciated.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
The most important tip I can possibly give you is that the force field spell is loving AMAZING. If you've ever played a 2.0 D&D game, it functions just like Otiluke's Resilient Sphere: Pick a target, any target, and an impenetrable force field goes up around them. They can't move or act, but they also can't be harmed in any way.

It is capable of failing when cast on enemies but almost never does - even on bosses. A fight starts with a boss or elite surrounded by lots of small fry? Force field the boss to take it completely out of the fight while you mop up its minions, and you'll be able to focus solely on it a minute or so later.

It's jut as amazing when used on allies. Did your mage draw a little too much hate with that fireball, and now you're in imminent danger of losing 'em to a berserked warrior? Force field them. They'll be completely immune to everything the enemy tries, and even better, the enemy will still uselessly attack them, making it an imptromptu form of crowd control. Wanna be really devious? Cast a powerful AOE DOT spell like inferno, or blizzard, or tempest, and place it right on top of your caster's head. Then force field yourself immediately. The enemy will run in, get damaged by your AOE, and attack you for it. (Uselessly.) Then they'll realize they're standing in an AOE and probably shouldn't be, so they'll try and run away. But, they won't get far before they decide they're just entirely too pissed off to ignore you, and run back in to get hurt some more. Fun times.

There are PLENTY more tricks, of course, this is just my favorite. I'll leave others to cover their pet tactics, I'm sure there will be quite a few. But yeah, go for force field ASAP. It is insanely overpowered.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Pump points into magic as much as you want, it replaces your strength requirement for using weapons and armour when you become an Arcane Warrior.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I know Dead Rising has come up a bunch in this thread but I just picked it up and was wondering how the gently caress I should deal with the guys in the jeep because they're about to make me put down the game in disgust for good. Alternatively, is there a way I can open the gates so I don't have to go into that middle area period?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Backhand posted:

The most important tip I can possibly give you is that the force field spell is loving AMAZING. If you've ever played a 2.0 D&D game, it functions just like Otiluke's Resilient Sphere: Pick a target, any target, and an impenetrable force field goes up around them. They can't move or act, but they also can't be harmed in any way.

It is capable of failing when cast on enemies but almost never does - even on bosses. A fight starts with a boss or elite surrounded by lots of small fry? Force field the boss to take it completely out of the fight while you mop up its minions, and you'll be able to focus solely on it a minute or so later.

Goddamn I wish I knew this

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
If you kill the clown boss and escort the survivor from that scoop to safety he'll unlock a shortcut for you between Paradise Plaza and wonder plaza. You'll be able to use that to avoid the park completely.

The shutters also open depending on how far in the main story you get.

As for taking out the convicts, there's an uzi in Paradise Plaza. If you face away from the door leading to the warehouse, move to your right until you get to the first set of stairs. Midway up them you can jump across to the blue overhanging thing and climb up. Follow that around and you'll get to a spot with some orange juice, a teddy bear and an uzi.

The convicts are relatively retarded. Find a tree and they'll slam repeatedly into it trying to run you over. When they're doing this shoot the guy on the back, grab his machine gun off the vehicle and use it to kill the other two.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I don't know if it has been fixed on the PC, but this has NOT been fixed on the console version of Dragon Age: Origins:

Attack damage via daggers is mainly governed by dexterity (with a small amount coming from strength), and as such daggers are meant to grant 50% Dexterity bonus and 50% strength bonus. There is a bug in the vanilla game, though, that makes it so daggers grant 100% strength bonus and no dexterity bonus. This will only really effect you if you roll a dual wielding dagger rogue. You'll be fine for most of the game, but towards the end you'll notice your damage cap and start to fall off drastically, sufficiently gimping your DPS rogue.

Dalai Lamacide
Jan 10, 2007

She wears underwear with dick-holes in 'em
How the gently caress do I get past the tank fight, and the area after that in Stubbs the Zombie.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

ultrachrist posted:

I know Dead Rising has come up a bunch in this thread but I just picked it up and was wondering how the gently caress I should deal with the guys in the jeep because they're about to make me put down the game in disgust for good. Alternatively, is there a way I can open the gates so I don't have to go into that middle area period?

Like Ddraig said, the passageway helps a lot. Alternatively, you can just book it across the park and hope they don't notice you before you get to where you need to be. Also be aware that they respawn about two times during the course of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Killing the clown worked (only took like 4 hours of in-game time and a lipstick prop :psyduck:). That shortcut should be all I need.