Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!

Ric posted:

I'd be happy (short term) to do some free assisting for Vincent Laforet too!

Just sent you one.

sweet, thanks so much! (PS: wave is pretty confusing and nonlinear)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/pho/1500915983.html

quote:

Hasselblad 500 ELX - $2500 (South Tampa)

Date: 2009-12-08, 2:33PM EST
Reply to: sale-h76sa-1500915983@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

For sale Hasselblad 500 ELX camera.Formerly owned by Nikki Sixx of Motley Crew.Will provide documentation.

:rock:

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, I watched a pretty cool show called "Picture This" on the Ovation channel. It was the exact type of show I had in mind a few years back - a Project Runway imitation, (or Top Chef if you will), but with photographers instead of clothing designers or chefs. It was a British reality series. The contestants seemed pretty green, I was overall disappointed in the level of work, but it was still a lot of fun to watch. It's also very British, which makes it doubly entertaining.

I can't find any of the episodes online yet, but Ovation has posted some previews. Here's the preview from Episode 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke-WrD0voA

If you can catch it on TV, you definitely should check it out.

Edit: Oh hey, look! Some inventive young connoisseur posted the full series on YouTube, how convenient.

Playlists here or individual links below:

Episode 1
- Part 1
- Part 2
- Part 3
- Part 4
- Part 5

Episode 2
- Part 1
- Part 2
- Part 3
- Part 4
- Part 5

Episode 3 (finale)
- Part 1
- Part 2
- Part 3
- Part 4
- Part 5

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 9, 2009

RKD
Jul 23, 2003
Resident BOFH
looks dorky enough to make it worth a jack, will chuck it on tonight ...

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

This is strangely addictive to watch. I think the british accents make it extra fun :D

Leyendecker
Oct 31, 2008

:sun:

Mannequin posted:

Picture this

This is great! It's definitely painful at times, but some of the work is impressive and it's fun- though I can't imagine enjoying that much if I weren't a photographer. Is it very successful?

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

Mannequin posted:

"Picture This"
Hey WTF! I'm in England and I've never seen this broadcast on TV or even heard of it before. Also that's Martin Parr contributing and those accents are perfectly normal!:eng101:

Just had time to watch the preview but it looks like someone I kinda know is one of the contestants! Will report back once I've seen more.
Thanks for the links :)

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Argh, why did I start watching this at 11pm? Thanks!

edit: ugh, this Aron guy is a douchebag "OOOH I'M CONTROVERSIAL" - by the time they got to Brighton he was bordering on self parody.

psylent fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Dec 9, 2009

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

Augmented Dickey posted:

Anyone have a 3ft UV filter handy?

Only $45k: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180438980987

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

I don't know why anyone would buy that in this day and age, don't they have SLR adapters for telescopes now?

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Augmented Dickey posted:

I don't know why anyone would buy that in this day and age, don't they have SLR adapters for telescopes now?
I don't know anything at all about telescopes, but browsing around a little bit, I couldn't find a telescope for sale that is quite this long - closest I could find was around 3000mm and $15k. So I guess you could think of it as a $45k telescope with a built-in FD mount!

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Augmented Dickey posted:

Which I'm sure would be lovely wide open at F/22

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

FasterThanLight posted:

I don't know anything at all about telescopes, but browsing around a little bit, I couldn't find a telescope for sale that is quite this long - closest I could find was around 3000mm and $15k. So I guess you could think of it as a $45k telescope with a built-in FD mount!

Yeah, I think with telescopes the idea is more about light gathering capabilities than it is about focal length. IIRC, the eyepiece is where most of the magnification happens.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Mannequin posted:

Over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, I watched a pretty cool show called "Picture This" on the Ovation channel.

I hardly watch tv but they seem to often run pretty cool photography related stuff. I watched a pretty cool documentary about jazz photographer William Claxton a few months ago on that channel.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Mannequin posted:

Picture This

Surprisingly interesting. I remember complaining to my girlfriend about how I'd love to watch a photography reality show similar to Project Runway, where the contestants are all already skilled.
I guess my wish came true because I'm actually enjoying this. There's also some sort of satisfaction in watching this and thinking "I can do this too.."

EDIT:
I just watched the first episode and they didn't kick Aron out. :( At least Ed's still on. His quip about him not reading fashion magazines actually did make me laugh.

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 12, 2009

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Boston.com has their "Pictures of 2009" up, and they are phenomenal.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/12/2009_in_photos_part_1_of_3.html

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

What are the ethics behind letting your ex-girlfriend use one of your photos for free in the magazine she works for? :(

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

notlodar posted:

What are the ethics behind letting your ex-girlfriend use one of your photos for free in the magazine she works for? :(

Unless you still get ex-sex then don't do it.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Haggins posted:

Unless you still get ex-sex then don't do it.
I probably could, but I'm sorta kinda involved with someone at the moment, so it would be wrong. She also lives in another country :psyduck:

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

notlodar posted:

I probably could, but I'm sorta kinda involved with someone at the moment, so it would be wrong. She also lives in another country :psyduck:

I'm not seeing the problem here.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

notlodar posted:

That's known as 'an Ace in the hole'

You see.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

notlodar posted:

Does the magazine make a profit?

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Does the magazine make a profit?
Yeah.

is this how confession booths are like?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

notlodar posted:

Yeah.

is this how confession booths are like?

Nah at this point I'd be sliding the little glory hole cover open ;-*

I tend to be okay with giving stuff away to non-profits/school reports/etc, but if they're making money off the image I think the photographer deserves a cut.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I agree, if the magazine is making a profit off of their publication, then you should be entitled to some sort of compensation for your photo.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

quote:

Trying to keep it short: I sold my first DSLR (Rebel XT) to my buddy from Florida who happens to be a skydive instructor. He used it mounted on his helmet to shoot skydivers in a free fall. The mounting plate detached when he opened his chute and both cameras (photo + video) took a fall from approximately 3000 ft. Amazingly, the Rebel survived the fall and my friend is still using it to this very day. It has a crack in the plastic body and the kit lens is a little jerky when zooming, but functional. I'd like to know if there is a similar story or something close to this but I doubt. It might me a world record indeed (for the height of a camera drop which survived). Kudos to canon!
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/845602

Only registered members can see post attachments!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
It must have been that UV protector he had on there

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Verman posted:

I agree, if the magazine is making a profit off of their publication, then you should be entitled to some sort of compensation for your photo.

Obligatory link to "Pay the Writer"

trueblue
Oct 10, 2004
Can we still be friends?

DJExile posted:

Boston.com has their "Pictures of 2009" up, and they are phenomenal.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/12/2009_in_photos_part_1_of_3.html

Thanks for that link, all 3 parts in that series are really just superb.

I feel bad for that photographer in #20 (part 1), especially after finding this gallery of his work and seeing that he's an absolutely amazing photojournalist. Pretty hardcore taking photos on his emergency stretcher though.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Verman posted:

Even if they're not making a profit, you are still entitled to some kind of compensation.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

brad industry posted:

Even if they're not making a profit, you are still entitled to some kind of compensation.

You can use it for your portfolio :haw:

brad industry
May 22, 2004
It'll be good exposure.

We'll have lots of paying assignments in the future if this works out.

You'll get a great tearsheet.

:(

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

brad industry posted:

It'll be good exposure.

goddamn :( indeed

Get the money.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Obligatory link to "Pay the Writer"
When he whines about how the boom operator gets paid, he glosses over that they don't get paid every time someone buys the DVD. They do the work once and get paid once. It's pretty hilarious how people in the arts think one instance of their work should be paid for over and over and over again into perpetuity.

Dorkroom: Do you think you're entitled to be paid every time someone makes money off your work? If so, why? Sub-question: Would you find it fair to send the maker of your camera a portion of the profits every time you make money with it?

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

pwn posted:

When he whines about how the boom operator gets paid, he glosses over that they don't get paid every time someone buys the DVD. They do the work once and get paid once. It's pretty hilarious how people in the arts think one instance of their work should be paid for over and over and over again into perpetuity.

Dorkroom: Do you think you're entitled to be paid every time someone makes money off your work? If so, why? Sub-question: Would you find it fair to send the maker of your camera a portion of the profits every time you make money with it?

Yes, yes you are, unless you grant someone an unlimited license, in which case they are paying more in order to not have to pay each time (this is what you are doing with you camera, in a sense, especially when you pay more for a unit designed to be used by working professionals. But that's a stupid comparison because service/creative work and manufacturing of objects are totally different and unrelated markets). But the way that the creative market works is that you get paid with consideration to how much money the client is going to make from your work. If it's worth a lot to them, then they should pay you an amount that reflects this importance.

pwn
May 27, 2004

TsarAleksi posted:

Yes, yes you are, unless you grant someone an unlimited license, in which case they are paying more in order to not have to pay each time (this is what you are doing with you camera, in a sense, especially when you pay more for a unit designed to be used by working professionals. But that's a stupid comparison because service/creative work and manufacturing of objects are totally different and unrelated markets). But the way that the creative market works is that you get paid with consideration to how much money the client is going to make from your work. If it's worth a lot to them, then they should pay you an amount that reflects this importance.
That makes sense. I think his blustering fury triggered a "gently caress you you self-important prick" thing in my brain.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ge cafe posted:

When he whines about how the boom operator gets paid, he glosses over that they don't get paid every time someone buys the DVD. They do the work once and get paid once.

This is stupid, as are you for thinking it's a good comparison. The boom operator is pretty much a vehicle for someone else's creative work - the sound designer, the actors who are speaking, and whatever else. His artistic contribution consists of 'ensure sound is heard and keep boom out of shot'. If I were doing that, I wouldn't expect a continuing revenue stream from it.

I can understand how this might be a comfortable justification if a photographer is either too timid or too inexperienced to demand decent payment and/or a decent license for their work. That isn't the case for everyone, though. It also kind of bones actual photographers when someone running around with a D40 and kit lens or something is giving full copyright to someone else for fifty dollars.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 17, 2009

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Isn't it crazy how people can invest money in stocks and continue to make more and more money off their investment with out doing any more work???

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Nah at this point I'd be sliding the little glory hole cover open ;-*

I tend to be okay with giving stuff away to non-profits/school reports/etc, but if they're making money off the image I think the photographer deserves a cut.

Verman posted:

brad industry posted:

brad industry posted:

It'll be good exposure.

She's my exgirlfriend out of circumstance and I love her very much so when it comes to her I don't care about your ethics so there :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

This is stupid, as are you for thinking it's a good comparison.
Thank you for calling me stupid.