Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
They seem to be the same as the non-mic Apple earbuds, so if you are fine with the earbuds that came with your iPod you should be ok. They sound just fine to me, but I'm far from picky when it comes to headphones and the like.

Apple also has remote/mic models for the inear buds. On the plus side I hear they sounds better (especially with bass I am told), on the negative side they are 50 bucks more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009
Does anyone make an adapter controller for non apple earbuds? I have perfectly fine in ear ones already, and I doubt the sound quality of those is worth 80 bucks.

I was surprised that the ones that came with the 3rd gen touch sounded as good as they did (last time I used apple buds they were awful, was quite a while back though) but they are still really uncomfortable.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

Ninja Toast! posted:

Does anyone make an adapter controller for non apple earbuds? I have perfectly fine in ear ones already, and I doubt the sound quality of those is worth 80 bucks.

I was surprised that the ones that came with the 3rd gen touch sounded as good as they did (last time I used apple buds they were awful, was quite a while back though) but they are still really uncomfortable.

I found this awhile back. No idea how well it works, but for $17 it might be worth a try.

AllenR
Dec 5, 2007
Blerg
Okay so my girlfriend and her mother decided to be awesome and buy me an iPod Touch. Anyway, I'm not seeing this option to sort my music by band/album artist though. I can see it on iTunes, but there's no option for it on the iPod Touch itself.

Edit: Nevermind. I guess what I'm looking for is to add all the albums into compilation albums.

AllenR fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 10, 2009

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009
Press the orange music button, music listings will come up. if theres a back arrow at the top left, click it till it goes back the whole way, Otherwise look at the bottom, will say playlists, artists, songs, albums, more. Hit artists/album/whatever. While we're at it, that on the go playlist in the playlist menu is how you queue up a string of unrelated songs at once. You'd think that would be pretty obvious, but it took me a week to bother checking out what it did.

Anyone else:
Are there some alternate view options hiding somewhere for music playback? I hate the fact that there's no way to display the entirety of really long titles (my zen vision m and even my rio carbon would scroll through them, which I would think would make sense for all players, but what do I know...), and that the main screen displays them so small at the tippy top of the screen.

Ninja Toast! fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 10, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Ninja Toast! posted:

Anyone else:
Are there some alternate view options hiding somewhere for music playback?

Not that I'm aware of, and it's quite a pain.

Especially when you want to browse through your "George Clinton and the P-Funk All-Stars" albums (as anyone would want to do on a regular basis).

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

You know what's awesome?

Building a new computer and forgetting to authorize the computer on iTunes. Then plugging in your iPod and freak out when you alt-tab back to see all your applications being systematically deleted.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

So I'm thinking of getting AppleCare for my iPod touch,

1. Is it safe to buy it from ebay? The prices are absolutely ridiculous (like 23$) so I don't know how legit it is

2. What, exactly, does AppleCare cover? My ipod touch has a few hairline cracks or scratches, is that enough to get them to replace it? Can I replace it as many times as I want in the 2 years of coverage?

Thanks!

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I'm pretty sure the eBay vendors are sketchy. They've been discussed pretty frequently in the Mac Hardware thread.

And I don't think they'll replace your iPod if it has a few scratches. Don't be that guy that pays $23 and expects Apple to provide a new iPod every time you drop it on the floor.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

mistermojo posted:

So I'm thinking of getting AppleCare for my iPod touch,

1. Is it safe to buy it from ebay? The prices are absolutely ridiculous (like 23$) so I don't know how legit it is

2. What, exactly, does AppleCare cover? My ipod touch has a few hairline cracks or scratches, is that enough to get them to replace it? Can I replace it as many times as I want in the 2 years of coverage?

Thanks!

Are the fractures caused by you or a defect in the ipod?

It will cover problems that are not your fault, and battery replacement if the battery capacity falls below 50%.

Click here for the full document.

Apple posted:

b. Limitations. The Plan does not cover:
(ii) Damage to the Covered Equipment caused by accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty
installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service
Provider), unauthorized modification, extreme environment (including extreme temperature or
humidity), extreme physical or electrical stress or interference, fluctuation or surges of electrical
power, lightning, static electricity, fire, acts of God or other external causes;
(xi) Defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to normal aging of the product;

I would suggest calling Apple or visiting a store to find out more.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I'm considering buying a 3rd gen iPod Touch this season since it's under $200, and I definitely want to jailbreak it. What I'm wondering, though, is just how bad the battery life is on it? I have an old iPod Mini whose battery went to poo poo after like three years, and I have an iPod Nano I was given during a summer program in 2007 that still works well (Though the hold button doesn't work anymore). So, I was just wondering how safe of a bet an iPod Touch is these days. I'm running Windows Vista 32bit if it matters, since I saw on the first page that someone was having iTunes problems. For what it's worth, I don't have any problems with iTunes with my Nano, but that's not synced.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Nickoten posted:

I'm considering buying a 3rd gen iPod Touch this season since it's under $200, and I definitely want to jailbreak it. What I'm wondering, though, is just how bad the battery life is on it? I have an old iPod Mini whose battery went to poo poo after like three years, and I have an iPod Nano I was given during a summer program in 2007 that still works well (Though the hold button doesn't work anymore). So, I was just wondering how safe of a bet an iPod Touch is these days. I'm running Windows Vista 32bit if it matters, since I saw on the first page that someone was having iTunes problems. For what it's worth, I don't have any problems with iTunes with my Nano, but that's not synced.

The battery life is completely dependent on what you are using it for. Watching movies? That battery will be drained pretty quickly. Turn wifi off to increase battery life significantly. Just listening to music to to/from school, and between classes, I charge it once a week (and the battery isn't empty at that point). I bough mine last December. My warranty expires one week from today.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Nickoten posted:

On my first-gen, I've found the battery life is close to the advertised specs (with Wifi or game life closely matching, if maybe a little below, the life given for video use -- i.e. 5 hours). I bought a third-gen (32 Gb) a couple of weeks ago, and so far it seems to be about the same (a little better overall because the battery is better).

In addition, the first-gen that I've had for 24 months now has gone through a lot of charge cycles -- obviously I haven't kept a record, but I'd be willing to bet a dollar it's close to 200 full charge cycles -- and the battery life is still pretty close to what it was when it was new. Maybe gone down from five hours of video to 4.5?

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 14, 2009

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Sweet, thanks. I'll mostly be using it for music, but being a humongous nerd I won't be able to resist playing Street Fighter on it every once in a while.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
Alright, I've suffered with my iPod being covered in fingerprint grease for 3 months now. I'm ready to shell out the money for a decent case and screen protector.

I know several of you guys were cumming buckets over the NeoTouch case, but I'm looking for something more matte/grippy, and I noticed the RebelTouch made by the same company. If anyone owns this and could give their opinion, I'd appreciate it. Hell, if anyone's used both the RebelTouch and NeoTouch and could offer a comparison, that would be great.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
I've just had a 1604 (when updating through itunes) error on my ipod touch which i only bought yesterday. And now when trying to restore the unit via itunes it gives me the same error with the connect to itunes on the screen. IS there any way of sorting this from home? or am i going to have to go in to the store and say it bricked?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I remember fixing that problem once. I'm not sure if this is the entire fix, but I do remember I had to delete the .ipsw file(s) and let iTunes re-download it.

To try this, you can search for *.ipsw and delete what you find.

Or in Windows, it should be in ....(user\Application Data)\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates\.

The beginning of the path differs depending on what flavor of Windows you have -- in XP, it's under C:\Documents and Settings\. In Vista, I think it's under C:\Users\

synthoric
Mar 8, 2009
I finally jailbroke my Touch and it's amazing. The annoying thing is that themes seem often to neglect icons for music and videos, since the design is geared towards iPhones.

toxick posted:

Alright, I've suffered with my iPod being covered in fingerprint grease for 3 months now. I'm ready to shell out the money for a decent case and screen protector.

You'd get grease on a screen protector anyway, like I do.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams

toxick posted:

I know several of you guys were cumming buckets over the NeoTouch case, but I'm looking for something more matte/grippy, and I noticed the RebelTouch made by the same company. If anyone owns this and could give their opinion, I'd appreciate it. Hell, if anyone's used both the RebelTouch and NeoTouch and could offer a comparison, that would be great.

I actually found the Griffin Wave to be pretty awesome. It has this rubberized finish that gives it a surprisingly good grip.

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk
I'll apologize in advance if this should be in the jailbreaking thread, but I have a question.

My iPod Touch has a model number that starts with PC (not MB or MC), and I can't find anything about these. It's a newer 8GB 2nd gen that I recieved last month. It seems that I'm stuck with a tethered jailbreak unless I did something incorrectly (using blackra1n on 3.1.2)? Am I correct in that this should be a tethered jailbreak?

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

KillerMojo posted:

When it's -30 out and I've got gloves on I'd much rather press home in my pocket rather than take the touch out, remove the case, remove my gloves, press home twice, and then hit next song (then redo everything). Every. Time.

I found the app that changes the volume buttons to media buttons, but it's got a bit of a weakness: you totally lose volume control. I thought for sure it'd be a "next song after holding volume up for three seconds".

Ah well, another case of basic functionality lost. Maybe they'll add something in the next product refresh.

Hey, I'm retarded for not noticing this sooner, but if you're like me and don't particularly care about things in order, you can turn on shake to shuffle in the menu and then you press home a couple times to wake it up and bring up that mini menu, and then jiggle the ipod around to shuffle the selected music to the next track. Not optimum, but not too bad when the other option is taking off your gloves.

Honestly i love my touch for being able to do all the apps and music and internet in one device, but am really hating the lack of functionality in the music player. I might give repairing my Creative ZVM another try some day, the music features were far more varied. Go to an artists album listing from any song in shuffle or playlist, rate music, scroll to songs that start with the same letter from any playing playlist or shuffle song, etc. It's nice not having to back the whole way out of navigation to get to new stuff.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Ninja Toast! posted:

Honestly i love my touch for being able to do all the apps and music and internet in one device, but am really hating the lack of functionality in the music player. I might give repairing my Creative ZVM another try some day, the music features were far more varied. Go to an artists album listing from any song in shuffle or playlist, rate music, scroll to songs that start with the same letter from any playing playlist or shuffle song, etc. It's nice not having to back the whole way out of navigation to get to new stuff.

The icon in the upper right does almost all of this. I don't understand the second part, so I have no idea.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 16, 2009

AllenR
Dec 5, 2007
Blerg
Is there a most recommended iPod touch car transmitter or something? My girlfriend is looking for one to have for her car but looking at most they don't seem to get many good reviews. If possible she's looking to spend only about 50 bucks for one too.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

- Douglas Adams

Ninja Toast! posted:

Hey, I'm retarded for not noticing this sooner, but if you're like me and don't particularly care about things in order, you can turn on shake to shuffle in the menu and then you press home a couple times to wake it up and bring up that mini menu, and then jiggle the ipod around to shuffle the selected music to the next track. Not optimum, but not too bad when the other option is taking off your gloves.

Ah yeah this will definitely work as a good in-between. Thanks!

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

Philthy posted:

The icon in the upper right does almost all of this. I don't understand the second part, so I have no idea.

The icon in the upper right takes you to the album for that song only, unless i'm missing a button on the album listing screen or something. The zen took you to all the artists albums.

Other stuff..You know the track 1-5 star ratings you can put in in windows media player? You could edit them on the player. Not terribly cool by itself, but afterward you could select playlists of highly rated, low rated, and not rated.

If you'd middle click on its scroll pad thing twice (once was the song rating screen) it would list all the songs in the current playlist in alphabetical order. Say you're shuffling everything and a song called Dance Machine or something comes up. This song reminds you of Dancing by myself by Billy idol, click twice, scroll up a smidge, there it is.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

AllenR posted:

Is there a most recommended iPod touch car transmitter or something? My girlfriend is looking for one to have for her car but looking at most they don't seem to get many good reviews. If possible she's looking to spend only about 50 bucks for one too.

If she has a tape deck still use a cassette converter thing over an fm transmitter, its cheaper and sounds much better. http://www.amazon.com/Coby-CA-747-Position-Cassette-Adapter/dp/B00006JPFU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260980571&sr=8-1

If not, they're all pretty average and depend a lot on how much radio reception you get in the area its being used. If theres a frequency completely quiet somewhere you'll be ok, if not it will sound like crap and have to fight with whatever is there already. Tape deck will still be superior to a completely quiet frequency.

If her car is newer and doesn't have the tape deck, maybe it has an aux in for a the 3.5mm jacks? A lot of them seem to now.

Ninja Toast! fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 16, 2009

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
The Griffin RoadTrip and Belkin TuneBase seem to be well-liked - they're not cheap, but they have auto-scan features, and arms to make a Touch easier to reach.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Ninja Toast! posted:

The icon in the upper right takes you to the album for that song only, unless i'm missing a button on the album listing screen or something. The zen took you to all the artists albums.

Other stuff..You know the track 1-5 star ratings you can put in in windows media player? You could edit them on the player. Not terribly cool by itself, but afterward you could select playlists of highly rated, low rated, and not rated.

If you'd middle click on its scroll pad thing twice (once was the song rating screen) it would list all the songs in the current playlist in alphabetical order. Say you're shuffling everything and a song called Dance Machine or something comes up. This song reminds you of Dancing by myself by Billy idol, click twice, scroll up a smidge, there it is.

You can do the same thing with iTunes and on the Touch with the ratings system and a smart playlist. Why would anyone use Windows Media Player to organize and play their music on their computer? Ugh...

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Astro7x posted:

You can do the same thing with iTunes and on the Touch with the ratings system and a smart playlist. Why would anyone use Windows Media Player to organize and play their music on their computer? Ugh...

WMP 12 is actually rather nice (comes with Windows 7, not sure about other versions of Windows). I have all of my music on there organized because it streams to my 360.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

- Douglas Adams

Astro7x posted:

Why would anyone use Windows Media Player to organize and play their music on their computer? Ugh...

What does that have to do with player functionality?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Ninja Toast! posted:

Which is what I thought you were looking for. It brings you to the album of that song, then you can rate the song on that same screen. (It's the 5 dots that you see there at the top if the song is unrated) Not sure why anyone would expect it to bring up all the albums, that would be a pretty big mess when you've got a band with 14 albums. Anyways, you rate songs right on the player or in iTunes.

As for streaming to a 360, everyone should be using PS3 Media Player. It's free, it's a tiny download, and hooks right into the iTunes library. Takes two seconds at most. None of the bullshit you have to go through with WMP.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Philthy posted:

Takes two seconds at most. None of the bullshit you have to go through with WMP.

What bullshit? I installed Windows, copied my music from my external drive to my laptop, hooked my 360 up to the network, and I was able to access my music. I'm not sure what you went through but I had no problems.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Super Dude posted:

What bullshit? I installed Windows, copied my music from my external drive to my laptop, hooked my 360 up to the network, and I was able to access my music. I'm not sure what you went through but I had no problems.

I'm coming from a Vista64 WMP 11. I had to set up security permissions, shares, and selecting exactly what I wanted it to see, and unselect all sorts of crap it auto-added. The default settings for what it wanted to do was a huge pain in the rear end for me.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Philthy posted:

I'm coming from a Vista64 WMP 11. I had to set up security permissions, shares, and selecting exactly what I wanted it to see, and unselect all sorts of crap it auto-added. The default settings for what it wanted to do was a huge pain in the rear end for me.

Maybe it's Windows 7 automagic then?

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009
Okok, the ratings thing had nothing to do with WMP, just saying they were compatible with those ones. With no WMP involved you could still use them fine straight on the player, and I didn't know the itouch did that, so thanks for letting me know. What's this smart playlist business thats apparently needed to work them?

As for listing a band with 14 albums, I hardly see how that's a mess, you want to hear a certain song of theirs, its either A) sorted by album then goes to track listings or B) all the songs are in alphabetical order. Neither of those are a mess.

Anyways, no need to get defensive, if you could show me somewhere that all of these things were on the touch i'd be thrilled, its just they don't seem present/are difficult to find.

Ninja Toast! fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Dec 17, 2009

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Recently my hard drive failed so I had to buy a new one and reinstall Windows and all my applications and such. After I installed iTunes and re-added my music to the library, I connected my touch and tried to sync, but it won't let me. Something about not having the right permissions or something. I've tried 'erasing and syncing' as that sounded like it would make my new hard drive the default computer, but that didn't work either.

Can anyone help? I'm not sure what to do; I couldn't deauthorise my old hard drive as it failed, so can't alter my music or anything with my new hard drive.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Does your music library contain files purchased through the iTMS? If so, did you try using "Store -> Authorize Computer" through iTunes?

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I didn't buy any of it through itunes, it's from my existing collection. I've tried to authorise the computer but that doesn't do anything.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Ninja Toast! posted:

Okok, the ratings thing had nothing to do with WMP, just saying they were compatible with those ones. With no WMP involved you could still use them fine straight on the player, and I didn't know the itouch did that, so thanks for letting me know. What's this smart playlist business thats apparently needed to work them?

As for listing a band with 14 albums, I hardly see how that's a mess, you want to hear a certain song of theirs, its either A) sorted by album then goes to track listings or B) all the songs are in alphabetical order. Neither of those are a mess.

Anyways, no need to get defensive, if you could show me somewhere that all of these things were on the touch i'd be thrilled, its just they don't seem present/are difficult to find.

On iTunes you can make smart playlists such as "Music with 4 stars or above" or "Unlistened Music" or "Rock Genre, Rated 3 Stars, Played More than 7 times but less than 10 within the past 30 days.

It's kind of neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Store
May 2, 2009

Ninja Toast! posted:

I just bought this Audio-Technica dongle for $20 on Ebay. These are similar but it has a button that acts as a remote. Plus, it comes with a 2.5mm adapter (for use with a Treo).

• Locked thread