Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Aww, the Bosstones gave me a rad new album for my birthday :) Thanks Bosstones!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

guppy posted:

Aww, the Bosstones gave me a rad new album for my birthday :) Thanks Bosstones!

Aww me too!

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
gently caress Bim Skala Bim is doing a reuinion show? I would murder any number of people to see that.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
This new Bosstones album is tits. Too Many Stars is my favorite track so far.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Wasted Summers might be my favorite track

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Whoa the Bosstones are back?! My favorite album of their's is Pay Attention how does it compare to that era Tones?

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Yeah, they've been back together since last Christmas. Their sound is a little different, but its definitely less pop than the direction they were headed before they broke up. Also, keyboards.

I personally don't see how they could ever eclipse any of their pre-hiatus stuff. They're still absolutely amazing live. If you're in the northeast you should definitely make the trip and see them. Tickets for 12/29 at the Middle East in Cambridge go on sale friday at noon. I don't know why I'm sharing this info though :f5:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Dopo posted:

Yeah, they've been back together since last Christmas. Their sound is a little different, but its definitely less pop than the direction they were headed before they broke up. Also, keyboards.

I personally don't see how they could ever eclipse any of their pre-hiatus stuff. They're still absolutely amazing live. If you're in the northeast you should definitely make the trip and see them. Tickets for 12/29 at the Middle East in Cambridge go on sale friday at noon. I don't know why I'm sharing this info though :f5:

Uh, they've been on sale for a while? I already got my tickets for the sunday and monday shows in hand

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Uh, they've been on sale for a while? I already got my tickets for the sunday and monday shows in hand

Those are for Saturday-Monday the 26-28 at the House of Blues. I didn't know about the Middle East show, maybe I'll get to see them 3 times!

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
No, those are the House of Blues shows. I'm getting a pair of tickets to one of those shows as a Christmas gift. Tickets for the show at the Middle East on the 29th don't go on sale until friday at noon though.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/Mighty-Mighty-Bosstones-tickets/artist/741500

e: f, b

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Also, the Bosstones are playing on Jimmy Kimmel Live Friday at 12:05AM if anyone is interested.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I didn't know about the Middle East show. Hmmmm

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

I've only listened to the new Bosstones album once and I just wanna say it is awesome. BUT they fucken stopped doing punk songs. The band that invented skacore lost their core. It's really good, but the whole time I was just waiting for some rock as poo poo that never happened.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Yeah that is the one negative thing about this record. I don't think there is one instance of Dicky doing it patented yell/growl into the mic that you get in songs like Hell of a Hat, Dogs and Chaplains, Do Something Crazy.

But these new songs are still awesome.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Dicky can't do the growl as well any more so its not in the new tunes. Also, they haven't had any punk songs for a few albums now. They always play the classics live though.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So the bands playing with MMB on the nights I'm seeing them are the Pietasters, Razors in the Night, the Pilfers and Bim Skala Bim. I know and love the Pietasters and the Pilfers, but I'm completely in the dark about the other 2. Can anybody recommend a good album to pick up from those bands? BSB has like 10 albums so I'm kind of lost.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Dopo posted:

Dicky can't do the growl as well any more so its not in the new tunes. Also, they haven't had any punk songs for a few albums now. They always play the classics live though.

Jacknife to a Swan had tons of rockin poo poo. It's one of my favorite Bosstones albums. Dicky can't growl well anymore? Has he lost it live or something? I mean I see no reason why he couldn't bust it out for the recording even if he can't consistently do it live, he sounded great on Jacknife.

drunk asian neighbor posted:

So the bands playing with MMB on the nights I'm seeing them are the Pietasters, Razors in the Night, the Pilfers and Bim Skala Bim. I know and love the Pietasters and the Pilfers, but I'm completely in the dark about the other 2. Can anybody recommend a good album to pick up from those bands? BSB has like 10 albums so I'm kind of lost.

I like Eyes and Ears and Universal quite a bit so I'll recommend those two. Also I'm gonna break it to you that the Pietasters suck live nowadays and all their newest material is complete poo poo. Even the old stuff doesn't hold up with how badly they're doing nowadays. Of course I haven't seen them in like 2 years, hopefully they've gotten better. I sure hope so :unsmith:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Dicky sounds excellent live. I think they were just trying a more mellow ska sound now that they're out of their angry adolescence. You can't deny that a couple of the songs on the new cd are rockin' though.

My only experience with the Pietasters is seeing them open for Street Dogs a few years ago and they sucked rear end then. Not really looking forward to them, but I got a huge boner for Darkbuster and Bim Skala Bim.

Rumor is that DKM is going to be opening for the Bosstones on their Middle East show. That would kick so much rear end. But this rumor does come from the Bosstones message board, so it's probably false.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You know what would be even better

If DKM pretended they didn't write a single song after Blackout came out, and only played songs off of the albums before Warrior's Code

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

gently caress yourself and die if you don't like The Meanest of Times :colbert:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
state of massachusetts is an awesome song to see live

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FateoMcSkippy posted:

gently caress yourself and die if you don't like The Meanest of Times :colbert:

Sorry bro I honestly can't listen to anything past Blackout. Every time I try, I think "poo poo this song is not Dirty Glass" and change it

They have another live album coming out soon, recorded on St Paddy's Day again.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I'm looking forward to that. It's the first live album I can say "hey, I was at those shows"

edit: And how do you not like Flannigans Ball? :psyduck:

edit2: fuccccccck forgot the Middle East show tickets went on sale today

edit3: yessssssss not sold out bought 2

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 12, 2009

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Graffiti Worth Reading and Don't Worry Desmond Dekker from Jimmy Kimmel last night
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKYw7KHlfaE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE-JVvLDUlQ&NR=1

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Seeing that makes me love Jimmy Kimmel for having Dicky around.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
God bless Ben Carr

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We remastered our Christmas album and made some small changes, it's up for download at:

http://tajmoteltrio.com/TajChristmasEP.zip

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006
Can someone give me a recommendation for what album/s to get into Ska-P?

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

Mollymauk posted:

Can someone give me a recommendation for what album/s to get into Ska-P?

Planeta Eskoria, and Que Quorra la Voz! are my two favorites, I think they have a better mix of hard rear end rocking songs and bouncy fun songs.

aricoarena fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 16, 2009

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

i'm literally a song and a half into this bosstones album and it already loving rules

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Hey guys I just got into ska and so far I've only ever heard that Rancid song and some band called Giant Fish or something? What's good to listen to?

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
yellowcard mostly

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

you joke but before they got all radio popular, back when they had their original singer, they were loving awesome

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

Hey guys I just got into ska and so far I've only ever heard that Rancid song and some band called Giant Fish or something? What's good to listen to?

How much do you want to pickitup pickitup pickitup

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

smash mouth

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006

aricoarena posted:

Planeta Eskoria, and Que Quorra la Voz! are my two favorites, I think they have a better mix of hard rear end rocking songs and bouncy fun songs.
Thanks a lot.

I get it!

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

In other news I have a friend going home to Tokyo for Christmas break, and one of their friends over there is a huge ska fan so I might get some Yum! Yum! Orange and Oreskaband and other J-ska when they get back.

Anybody else I should request?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

In other news I have a friend going home to Tokyo for Christmas break, and one of their friends over there is a huge ska fan so I might get some Yum! Yum! Orange and Oreskaband and other J-ska when they get back.

The last 2 Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra albums, Perfect Future and PARADISE BLUE are excellent. I haven't heard their earlier stuff but I imagine it rules too.

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Kemuri and Ska Ska Club are two I highly recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

drunk asian neighbor posted:

The last 2 Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra albums, Perfect Future and PARADISE BLUE are excellent. I haven't heard their earlier stuff but I imagine it rules too.

you really can't go wrong with any of the like 15+ albums by TSPO...just be warned that they normally have several really good songs and the rest are very meh. Full Tension Beaters is still my favorite, but you can get it in the states easy. Wild Peace and Stomping on Downbeat Alley are the other 2 I would get.