Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

ymgve posted:

The "regular" sales they have with $1 or 10-25% off just seem useless. If I didn't want to buy it for $6, my threshold for buying won't be $5.

I would prefer more stuff like the one year anniversary sale and bundles.

If they made the games $15 normally and the priced them at their sale prices during sales ($5 or so), I'd totally buy them for the same reason I've bought 100+ games on Steam that I have yet to finish (most of which I've yet to play): can't miss those great deals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Myst being released on GoG is the final nail in the coffin for my gametap account. I've probably spent $40 on games from GoG - some of which they have on gametap already. gently caress I love GoG. I've got 6 games from there I haven't finished yet too (Sacrifice, Giants, MDK, MDK 2, Fallout, Fallout 2). Thank god for the Christmas holidays.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Hidden gem of the week: Warlords Battlecry 3 for $7.99

I played this a couple of years ago, mainly multiplayer, because we were looking for an accessible fantasy RTS. It's good and really easy to get into, but maybe because of this, it also lacks a little in depth.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Anyone own Evil Genius from GoG? I got it through Steam and that resolution hack for it makes it completely incompatible with Steam Community (my main chat client), and the Steam version crashes when you Alt+Tab and doesn't register with Steam (because for some reason you start the launcher that starts the exe and then closes instead of skipping that step) so no one can tell you're playing.

Basically, I've heard there's improved resolution support or something through the GoG version. Also wondering if the Alt+Tab crash exists in it.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I don't recall the game ever crashing with my gog version, also you should get the fan patch that improves some stuff like increasing the henchman limit, or making the carpet loot walkable on.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Have it, just fixes/adds some features insofar as edited object description files and the like doesn't fix anything under the hood really in terms of bugs.

If you've got it installed, can you check and see if any of that is different?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
nah sorry, got rid of it some time ago, but there are some people having crashes under Vista on the gog forums

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord for $9.99.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Blodskur posted:

Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord for $9.99.

Wow, completely forgot about this series. I wonder if they'll add the expansions...

Too bad they never ever ever made another one of these!

smr
Dec 18, 2002

The Machine posted:

Too bad they never ever ever made another one of these!

Really hoping this is a dig against the hate crime that was "Shock Force" :)

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The Manhole: Masterpiece Edition is out for $5.99.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
It's weird not seeing any of the 3 Fallout games on the Top 10 list. Seems like 1 or 2 always lingered on there, but I guess most people that use GOG have at least one of them by now!

smr posted:

Really hoping this is a dig against the hate crime that was "Shock Force" :)

Huh? Never heard of it. Probably doesn't exist. Ahem.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
This weekend's promo is the Realms of Arkania games 25% off.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Charles Martel posted:

This weekend's promo is the Realms of Arkania games 25% off.

Probably the best RPGs from the early 90s era. They included all the niceties we expect from modern RPGs (auto-map, fast or complex character creation, focus on details) while still being hardcore difficult. I like how sleeping without a sleeping bag could give your character's a cold and how you need flint and tinder to light a lantern.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

How does Capitalism 2 measure up to Capitalism Plus?

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006
Is anyone else having trouble accessing the site?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ratmann posted:

Is anyone else having trouble accessing the site?

"Hey all, sorry the site's down... hope to have an update for you soon!" was posted on their Twitter account.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

kissekatt posted:

How does Capitalism 2 measure up to Capitalism Plus?

Better in pretty much every way.

Edit: two side notes: when the gently caress is Aftershock getting released, and will they ever get that Starship Troopers RTS in their roster?

Thompsons fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 15, 2009

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Thompsons posted:

Better in pretty much every way.

Edit: two side notes: when the gently caress is Aftershock getting released, and will they ever get that Starship Troopers RTS in their roster?

This might please you, as UFO: Aftershock is now out for $9.99.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
The last new game of the year is Riven for $5.99

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Get it. Get it now.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
They're reporting on the facebook group that there's a 'holiday surprise' coming today, apparently the first of many. What that means is anyone's guess, though.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I guess I'll buy Riven again, like now. I never actually finished it but I always considered it a really beautiful, weird giant of a game. Having the convenience of not needing to swap 5 loving CDs or disc images as it is (especially that the game isn't very linear and you need to be going from island to island/disc to disc all the time) is cool.

I guess they've done quite some re-encoding to stuff since the download's only 1.6 GB :?:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Zat posted:

I guess they've done quite some re-encoding to stuff since the download's only 1.6 GB :?:

Almost certainly. All of the video in the original game was in Quicktime format, which is horrendously inefficient in regard to file size. They've probably been re-encoded as H.264 files or something.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/tex_murphy_1_2

Tex Murphy 1 & 2 are free until Dec 24th.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

thedaian posted:

They're reporting on the facebook group that there's a 'holiday surprise' coming today, apparently the first of many. What that means is anyone's guess, though.

It means Tex Murphy 1 & 2 for free! (until December 24) :dance:

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
Yes! I was really wanting to try Tex Murphy, Getting it for free is awesome.

and GOG is even nicer, if you already bought Tex Murphy previously, you can Apply for an alternate gift.
Anyone who already had Tex Murphy might want to sign up for that, and tell us all what you get (I'm guessing it might just be a free game coupon)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
@GOGcom: Hope everyone's enjoying Tex Murphy! We're not quite done with the holiday surprises, but we'll let you have fun with this one first!

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I like these guys. They know how to keep old games fresh and interesting.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
Wow, if anyone wants a great action-RPG with a huge world to explore and tons of interesting sub-quests, you can't go wrong with Divine Divinity for $5! I load up that game every year.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
Heroes of Might & Magic 1-3 + Might & Magic 1-6 pack half price: http://www.gog.com/en/promo/might_and_magic

• Heroes of Might and Magic includes: manual (96 pages), in-game tracks, reference card
  • Heroes of Might and Magic 2: Gold Edition includes: manual (143 pages), creature tables, hi-res wallpaper, soundtrack
  • Heroes of Might and Magic 3: Complete Edition includes: manuals (209 pages), creature tables, soundtrack
  • Might and Magic 6-pack: Limited Edition includes: m&m I-VI manuals, m&m VI reference card, m&m I-VI maps, avatars & more...

That's a lot of loving play time for $19.96.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Weedle posted:

Almost certainly. All of the video in the original game was in Quicktime format, which is horrendously inefficient in regard to file size. They've probably been re-encoded as H.264 files or something.

Well, there was a DVD version of Riven released as part of the Myst 10th anniversary collection, so I'm guessing this is just a re-release of that. It came out in 2003, so it's probably Xvid encodes or something (I never really looked at the video encoding on my copy of that).

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Kreeblah posted:

Well, there was a DVD version of Riven released as part of the Myst 10th anniversary collection, so I'm guessing this is just a re-release of that. It came out in 2003, so it's probably Xvid encodes or something (I never really looked at the video encoding on my copy of that).

I have never played Riven before and bought it off GoG last night. Looks totally awesome. My only complaint is that sometimes in an otherwise static background there is an "animation overlay" that is sometimes a few pixels off. Is that something that was in the original or is it a product of any re-encoding work that may have been done?

It's not a really big deal either way. Just curious.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Heroes of Might & Magic 1-3 + Might & Magic 1-6 pack half price: http://www.gog.com/en/promo/might_and_magic

• Heroes of Might and Magic includes: manual (96 pages), in-game tracks, reference card
  • Heroes of Might and Magic 2: Gold Edition includes: manual (143 pages), creature tables, hi-res wallpaper, soundtrack
  • Heroes of Might and Magic 3: Complete Edition includes: manuals (209 pages), creature tables, soundtrack
  • Might and Magic 6-pack: Limited Edition includes: m&m I-VI manuals, m&m VI reference card, m&m I-VI maps, avatars & more...

Getting all three Heroes games is a little redundant, but the M&M 6-pack is $7 all by itself...

Goddamnit what a lovely time to literally not have any money. Someone buy this instead of me and I'll just play it vicariously through you :unsmith:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Overwined posted:

I have never played Riven before and bought it off GoG last night. Looks totally awesome. My only complaint is that sometimes in an otherwise static background there is an "animation overlay" that is sometimes a few pixels off. Is that something that was in the original or is it a product of any re-encoding work that may have been done?

It's not a really big deal either way. Just curious.

Do you mean 'off' as in shifted on the screen or 'off' as in discolored? If the latter, I think it was there before due to computer limitations when it came out.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Loonytoad Quack posted:

I've already got Heroes 3 Complete, what are the odds that I'll ever actually play the other two when I've got that around? I loved Heroes 2 as a kid but I'm pretty sure 3 is better in pretty much all respects, and I never liked Heroes 1.

Also buying that pack and cutting one game out is actually more expensive than buying all of them, which really shouldn't bother me but kinda does because I don't want to re-buy Heroes 3.

Edit: Why was I mixing Roman numerals with regular numbers? I don't know! This is the kind of thing that keeps me up at night.

Woebin fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 18, 2009

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Woebin posted:

I've already got Heroes 3 Complete, what are the odds that I'll ever actually play the other two when I've got that around?

Zero, there's no point.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Magnificent Quiver posted:

Zero, there's no point.

Agreed. Heroes 3 is all you need. And the M&M pack if that's your thing.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

flatluigi posted:

Do you mean 'off' as in shifted on the screen or 'off' as in discolored? If the latter, I think it was there before due to computer limitations when it came out.

Shifted on the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Overwined posted:

Shifted on the screen.

Huh. What's your screen resolution?