Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

incredibull posted:

Didn't you have that black Cherokee before that got stolen, found, then stolen again? If I were you I'd start to get real suspicious about some of my friends.

Nope, I had a sweet 88 gun metal one that was stolen in January. I owned that one for 1 week. I'm not so pissed about the Jeep as I am about all the recovery gear and things I had in it. Plus my work boots and things. Ahh gently caress it. The next one I'll get an immobilizer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

mod sassinator posted:

What about a fuel pump cutoff switch or even a club (one that blocks the pedals) too?

Yeah I'd be looking into creative ways to disable your car at that point.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

mod sassinator posted:

What about a fuel pump cutoff switch or even a club (one that blocks the pedals) too?

The club is completely useless in any configuration.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Got a driveway? Bolt the drat thing to the ground with big-rear end chains wrapped around the axles. You'll need to cut and pour some concrete forms into the ground with big closed eye loops on them to attach the chains. It'll work though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

trouser chili posted:

Got a driveway? Bolt the drat thing to the ground with big-rear end chains wrapped around the axles. You'll need to cut and pour some concrete forms into the ground with big closed eye loops on them to attach the chains. It'll work though.

I love this idea.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Doctor Zero posted:

The club is completely useless in any configuration.

The club you put on a wheel can be bypassed by cutting the wheel, but I've never heard of the pedal blocking one having faults. How do people get around it?

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(
BEEP, BEEP!

First car, first jeep, a '68 CJ5.
As I said some posts ago it used to be the family jeep and my dad wanted to get rid of it and sell it, but instead he decided to gift it to me on my birthday :)

Some pics:

urgay lol

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

TheCoconutman
Sep 13, 2007
Who took the money from the house fund? the coconutman, Fuck the coconutman
Any ai guys have ww2 jeeps? Mb or gpw. I'm hoping to pick up a 45 mb willys in january and was wondering what to look for besides the usual fram and floorpans.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

mod sassinator posted:

The club you put on a wheel can be bypassed by cutting the wheel, but I've never heard of the pedal blocking one having faults. How do people get around it?

Oh. Isn't that where it's just like a Club, but it goes between your steering wheel and around your brake pedal? If it's that one, you just cut it out of the steering wheel like the other Club. If there's some other kind that just secures your pedals, then I hadn't seen that one.

EDIT: I presume you don't mean this one:

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Tell me I should buy this.

http://kamloops.en.craigslist.ca/cto/1504717727.html

My '89 is getting to be too much of a pain. It's too old and has too many problems. This 91 looks really really really good actually for only a grand.. Even if it has a blown motor it might be worth it to fix it.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Doctor Zero posted:

Oh. Isn't that where it's just like a Club, but it goes between your steering wheel and around your brake pedal? If it's that one, you just cut it out of the steering wheel like the other Club. If there's some other kind that just secures your pedals, then I hadn't seen that one.

EDIT: I presume you don't mean this one:

He probably means this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6iDSJpXQSg

It goes between the floor and brake pedal, you pull up the handle and it locks the brake pedal "UP"

One of my buddies neighbor's had one for his jeep, He challanged us one day to remove it with out damage. Took all of 5 minutes to defeat it with out tools. Not saying they're all like that, but his came off with out much of a fight.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 18, 2009

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

HolaMundo posted:

urgay lol

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

Sup latin american jeep buddy? Esta bien lindo el carro, felicidades!

I don't know about Uruguay, but here in Costa Rica rust is a huge problem. My '90 YJ isn't all that rusty, only some on the front bumper and on the front floor, which I just finished sanding and painting some anti-corrosion solution there. But really besides doing this, what else keeps everything rust-free? I'm planning on repainting the WHOLE floor, but I'm unsure for the chassis. Eventually I want to either add a rubber mat covering the whole interior or just repaint it, but if it's the rubber mat, how would it avoid being a rust trap below?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
For people lucky enough to have a '95 (the last production year for YJ's), they came with a galvanized frame and body. If you found at least a tub in decent condition it might almost be worth it to swap over.

If you're worried about rust, line everything with U-POL Raptor (Or Line-X, Permatech, Rhino, Herculiner, whatever your poison is), hitting the actual rusty spots with POR-15 first. I think U-POL's stuff is the most durable though and comes with UV protectant in the mix and you can apply it however you want.

Philip J Fry fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 18, 2009

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008
I'm really pissed at myself for that last Jeep I found that everyone said was a good deal. I didn't go because a family said they were interested, then tried to jerk me around with some bullshit deal where they wanted to sign over there car to me to trade in and give me the difference in cash. It didn't work out, they sold the Jeep and I'm poo poo out of luck. Im having a real bitch of a time trying to find decently priced WJ's even with 70k on them - Im seeing alot of Overlands that are ridiculously priced or 2004's with 110+ on them.

Ive heard in the past that CarMax isnt the greatest place in the world for a seasoned car buying veteran, but since im not one, and given that they have ANY inventory thats relatively close to what I want, I feel like its almost worth it to deal with their no haggle bullshit.

Anyone have opinions on CarMax?

nullfox fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Dec 18, 2009

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon
Carmax is expensive, and they freely admit they are expensive. And from what I understand they don't really haggle.

There's never harm in going and looking at a car, test driving it, and making an offer though.

Read the whole carbuyingtips.com thing - all of it, before you go. It's really helpful. They have both a new car section and a used car section.

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(

Steiler Drep posted:

Sup latin american jeep buddy? Esta bien lindo el carro, felicidades!

I don't know about Uruguay, but here in Costa Rica rust is a huge problem. My '90 YJ isn't all that rusty, only some on the front bumper and on the front floor, which I just finished sanding and painting some anti-corrosion solution there. But really besides doing this, what else keeps everything rust-free? I'm planning on repainting the WHOLE floor, but I'm unsure for the chassis. Eventually I want to either add a rubber mat covering the whole interior or just repaint it, but if it's the rubber mat, how would it avoid being a rust trap below?

It isn't that huge, but it's still a problem. Until now this jeep used to be just across the beach for 5 years so it's pretty rusted now. Sooner or later I'll have to do something about it.

Gavitron
Sep 11, 2001

One of the downsides of being special is that you feel out of place wherever you go.
Pillbug

mod sassinator posted:

Several years ago, my then-neighbor lost the keys to his club. It took longer to cover the interior with sheets for protection from metal filings, than it did to cut the club itself off with a zip-cut disc.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

GanjamonII posted:

I bought a 03 WJ with 114k on it. Had to replace the water pump and it went thru the major service recently. Also put new tires on it (knew it had to be done though before buying) and I need to look at it again tomorrow as its making sounds like a wheel bearing is on its way out. I've put 10k+ on it in the last few months without any other issues, so this is all really par for the course of buying a used car..

edit - I have the v8 limited as well. I like it. Its not super fast, but its quick enough to be satisfying. Its 4WD too which comes in handy.

Thought Id post a quick follow up on the noise. I took it to a reputable local mechanic (good reviews online, and people I actually know who took their cars there said it was a great place) to get a whirring/roaring noise checked out. They called me up, said 100% it was the rear axle. They rebuilt it (at a fair price actually judging from the parts cost and labor cost and a couple of interweb forum posts) but the noise was still there although it is quieter now. They said that they had jumped into the repair without fully checking it out and its actually the front axle thats causing the issue. Because they felt it wasn't right of them to charge me all that money they are going to fix the front for parts (cost) only.

Im a bit mixed on it, one hand I'm getting both axles fully rebuilt for a very good price overall, but on the other hand the cost would only be about 2/3 if they'd checked it out properly first hand. I feel that due to their honesty and the way they handled the situation I am going to go back to them in future but I'd definitely ask more questions next time. They are also a hell of a lot cheaper than the dealership or other mechanics I've been to.

Also - I work in a professional service industry and I know my company has had this kind of situation come up for our clients before. Our actions have cost clients literally hundreds or thousands of times what this is costing me... so from a overall karmic point of view I cant get too upset. Its certainly a good exercise in seeing it from the customers point of view..

So at this point I'm about 2k into repairs for the car.

Still better than a monthly car payment.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

GanjamonII posted:

Thought Id post a quick follow up on the noise.
If it quietened down with the rear axle rebuild, then it probably would have needed doing at some point anyway, even if a large proportion of the noise was from the front. Seeing as they're doing you a good deal on the pair, I wouldn't get too wound up about it, as it's costing you less overall than it would otherwise, but I agree, it would be worth asking "Are you sure? Could you double check?" questions next time something like this comes up.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Yeah I'm actually not too bothered by it and Im glad to get all this stuff fixed before I drive ~3000 miles over the next two weeks. I was mildly annoyed because its a decent chunk of change I wasn't expecting on having to spend, but beyond that Im actually pleased with the service and the fact that they're actually being so upfront.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

GanjamonII posted:

Yeah I'm actually not too bothered by it and Im glad to get all this stuff fixed before I drive ~3000 miles over the next two weeks. I was mildly annoyed because its a decent chunk of change I wasn't expecting on having to spend, but beyond that Im actually pleased with the service and the fact that they're actually being so upfront.

May I ask how much it cost you? Is your WJ a 4x4? I may end up needing a rear-end rebuild eventually. I think my quadra track is going out, but it's been pretty quiet lately, so I've got my fingers crossed.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I always seem to wander in here out of needing help. I've exhausted my search and self-inform capabilities. Ahem, anyway:

I need to replace the sub in the center console of my '03 Wrangler (it was non-functioning when I got it) and I can't for the life of me find what I can replace it with. Is my only option OEM? If that's the case, is it smarter to just forgo replacing it?

Also, according to virtually every website I try to use to buy one, there are about 3 in-dash car stereo systems in the world that fit an '03 Wrangler. How is this possible? All I want is one with MP3 capability/iPod connection that doesn't look like cheap crap. Any advice?

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

godlovesninjas posted:

I always seem to wander in here out of needing help. I've exhausted my search and self-inform capabilities. Ahem, anyway:

I need to replace the sub in the center console of my '03 Wrangler (it was non-functioning when I got it) and I can't for the life of me find what I can replace it with. Is my only option OEM? If that's the case, is it smarter to just forgo replacing it?

Also, according to virtually every website I try to use to buy one, there are about 3 in-dash car stereo systems in the world that fit an '03 Wrangler. How is this possible? All I want is one with MP3 capability/iPod connection that doesn't look like cheap crap. Any advice?

From what I know, any 8-inch subwoofer will work. There's nothing special about it.

You have to get an adapter kit for the stereo and you can use any DIN stereo in the world with the Wrangler.

Here's one from Quadratec:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/96082_30X_PG.htm

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

incredibull posted:

From what I know, any 8-inch subwoofer will work. There's nothing special about it.

You have to get an adapter kit for the stereo and you can use any DIN stereo in the world with the Wrangler.

Here's one from Quadratec:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/96082_30X_PG.htm

I knew I was making it harder than I had to by trying to answer it myself. Never trust the "will it fit in my car" poo poo on websites again.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/how-replace-factory-subwoofer-579589/
also
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/tj-factory-sub-replacement-519980/
and the speaker http://www.parts-express.com//pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-270

KABLAM!

And pyramid speakers are pretty not bad when it comes to cheap speakers. I had a little box with 2 6.5's in my old jeep and they were loving LOUD. Not a lot of pass but really really loud.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/how-replace-factory-subwoofer-579589/
also
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/tj-factory-sub-replacement-519980/
and the speaker http://www.parts-express.com//pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-270

KABLAM!

And pyramid speakers are pretty not bad when it comes to cheap speakers. I had a little box with 2 6.5's in my old jeep and they were loving LOUD. Not a lot of pass but really really loud.

Thanks, very much for this. As long as I get some sound, I'm happy. I've been driving around without it since April and it sounds like the audio is coming through a can :(

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

godlovesninjas posted:

Thanks, very much for this. As long as I get some sound, I'm happy. I've been driving around without it since April and it sounds like the audio is coming through a can :(

I saved this for when I do blow mine. Only bad part looks like having to trim inside the enclosure. And loving wit those weird rear end nutserts.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
Would this ignition switch work for a '90 4.2L YJ?

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008
More of my sob stories...

CarMax loving blows and I cant find poo poo. I realize this is a Jeep thread, but is there any other SUV that you folks would recommend, similar to a Grand Cherokee in that it has the ability to tow, there are lift kits available, etc?

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

I Love my Jeep, didn't even flinch at the 18+ inches of snow we got today.

my hosting.

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008
Alright - I know you gus are probably getting tired of me posting, but I think I've found another Jeep worth going to look at: http://www.acuraofreno.com/used-inventory/2004-Jeep-Grand+Cherokee/9b5781837f00000101a4a1c94c3f7e75.htm

Its about a 4 hour drive from me, so I emailed them to make sure its still there, then im going to run an Autocheck on it.

Anyone have any comments, etc on that Jeep?

Thanks as always

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Veeb0rg posted:

my hosting.

It's times like these that you are superior to the others around you, because you came prepared.

I love having a capable 4x4 in conditions which shut the town down.

Dividend Special
Jul 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Veeb0rg posted:

my hosting.

My XJ doesn't have a lift on it or anything, yet I've been pulling people out of their own loving driveways in the recent snow we got up here in Anchorage, AK.

When I bought it I thought it was just some beater I'd have for poo poo around town when I got back from my military bullshit, but it has served me way past than that.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
I was loving around in the snow and heard this terrible noise.

OH NO MY RUBICON HAS hosed ME IN THE SNOW!

Turns out the wheel wells were packed full of snow/slush. Some flare karate and everything was fine.

Also the gas mileage in 4wd in my rubi didn't seem too terible. In my YJ it would have gone from sucks to sub terrible. apples to oranges I know but I had a loving blast driving around Friday night while no one was out.

4lo with f/r lockers was just ridiculous. I only used it to bust sideways through the 2 foot piles of snow the plows left across secondary roads.

I offered to winch out several people from ditches, driveways or just generally stuck and no one accepted. I guess maybe they were thinking of liability? One lady said the tow truck would be there in 3 hours I told her I could have her out in ten, and showed her the recovery point on the front of her car, she said she'd wait.

oooooooooooooooookay, I'm off to do more donuts.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

I offered to winch out several people from ditches, driveways or just generally stuck and no one accepted. I guess maybe they were thinking of liability? One lady said the tow truck would be there in 3 hours I told her I could have her out in ten, and showed her the recovery point on the front of her car, she said she'd wait.

It's because you're not a "professional". You'll never run into this on the trail, but average people seem to think that if you're not screwing them at $150 an hour, you're going to break their car and leave them stranded. I had one stuck person turn me down last year for this very reason.

Last year I also ran into a Superduty being driven by a douchy 20-something that was stuck in a drift because he thought he was in 4WD, spinning his tires to death. His hubs weren't locked, and he didn't know that they had to be. Locked them in and he drove right out.

Veeb0rg, are you on 30s there?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

incredibull posted:

It's because you're not a "professional". You'll never run into this on the trail, but average people seem to think that if you're not screwing them at $150 an hour, you're going to break their car and leave them stranded. I had one stuck person turn me down last year for this very reason.
Yeah, but to be fair, I've met quite a few people who honestly don't know how to safely use their recovery equipment, so their concern is somewhat valid.

You should be careful, though, TSM - I know you're experienced enough to effect a proper recovery, but don't forget that the towing eyes on road cars aren't really up to the same standard as those on a 4x4. Even doing everything perfectly, you could well cause damage if the car's got itself properly hooked up on something under the snow.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

incredibull posted:

Last year I also ran into a Superduty being driven by a douchy 20-something that was stuck in a drift because he thought he was in 4WD, spinning his tires to death. His hubs weren't locked, and he didn't know that they had to be. Locked them in and he drove right out.

Veeb0rg, are you on 30s there?

235/75r15's BFG Mudterrains. I believe the new spec is like 29.5, I've been meaning to get some 31's but just haven't been able to spare the cash.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

incredibull posted:

It also depends on what first impression they get (no offense meant). My mother is close to 60 and makes a habit out of pulling people out of ditches every winter, and they always accept.

vvv Could be worse, you could just walk up and pull it around without their consent while they scream.

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 20, 2009

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

godlovesninjas posted:

It also depends on what first impression they get (no offense meant). My mother is close to 60 and makes a habit out of pulling people out of ditches every winter, and they always accept.

So rolling the window down and yelling "HEY FUCKHEAD YOU WANT ME TO YANK YER SHITBOX OUTTA THE GODDAMNED DITCH" may have had something to do with it? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008
The guy at the dealership in Reno for the last Jeep I linked to said he will be in Sacramento during the week and wanted to know if I wanted to buy the car I can meet him there and he can bring the paperwork and do the deal. He said he doesn't think the Jeep will last til next weekend, and if the last deal was any indication, it wont, and ill be screwed all over again.

I haven't told him that I plan on trading in my truck, but in a situation like that, it would kind of force me to tell him, because as I imagine, he couldn't handle a trade in by himself.

Should I let him know about the trade-in and figure that out before-hand and do the deal in Sac, or wait it out and hope that things go my way and it lasts til the weekend?