Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take it Sleazy
Sep 7, 2004

i thought you weren't allowed to make threads
Does anyone know anything about the Nikko NR-719? There's one on craigslist in my area that I might be interested in since my old Sony just broke. The guy is asking 120 which seems like kind of a lot for this amp.

edit: I use pretty much all of the functions of an amp so if this one is weak in a particular area that would be useful information

Take it Sleazy fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 7, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Take it Sleazy posted:

Does anyone know anything about the Nikko NR-719? There's one on craigslist in my area that I might be interested in since my old Sony just broke. The guy is asking 120 which seems like kind of a lot for this amp.

edit: I use pretty much all of the functions of an amp so if this one is weak in a particular area that would be useful information

Nikkos are really rather good all around. On the other hand, there's one of that exact model on ebay right now with a starting bid of $40 (plus $42 shipping).

Thuel
Aug 6, 2007

Thuel posted:

Yeah, it seems like that's going to be the way to go at that price. REALLY hard to justify the jump to the Nova if I'm just running a pair of bookshelf speakers at moderate volume. The DAC really just pushes the package over the edge.

Now I'm just trying to decide to go with the used B&W 601s or try and track down a set of Era speakers to match.

Ok, so I've bought the Decco and have it paired with the B&W 601 S2 speakers. Everything has been great and I couldn't be happier. I'm finally adding a turntable, a Technics 1210 mk2, I bought from a friend. Now I'm in need of a decent phono stage and looking for some recommendations. Ideally something under $100, small, and fitting in style wise. Basically just something in line with the quality of my system.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
This is my favorite Phono Pre - http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/BBE-FJB200X-Phono-Preamp?sku=801600

The specs can't be beat and BBE is famous for top notch pro-audio gear. I'm using it with my 1210 and it's been flawless for years.

Thuel
Aug 6, 2007

Owsla posted:

This is my favorite Phono Pre - http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/BBE-FJB200X-Phono-Preamp?sku=801600

The specs can't be beat and BBE is famous for top notch pro-audio gear. I'm using it with my 1210 and it's been flawless for years.

Would it be worth the jump to this or is the BBE a better value?

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/ProJect-Phono-Box-Turntable-Preamplifier?sku=807601&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26050359

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
I suppose it comes down to if you want to be able to switch between Moving Coil and Moving Magnet carts (the Project Pre will do this, the BBE won't)

If you're open to that price range there are a lot of other options though, I thought I'd just give a cheap but high-quality option for running an MC cart like the Shure m97xe I run on my setup that is very similar to yours - 1210MkII>BBE>Denon>Silk dome Microbes

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?
I've been holding off on buying speakers, but now I see that AV123 has a sale on their ELT525M monitors that someone had recommended a few pages ago: $169.00 for the pair, shipped.

http://www.av123.com//index.php?pag...emart&Itemid=37

If one were in my position (I have a Pro-Ject Debut III going through an Emotiva USP-1 preamp to a UPA-2 stereo amplifier [thank you Turnip Head for the tip off on Emotiva]), would these speakers be worth it, or would I be better off waiting for a few more bucks to come my way for something more pricey (like the Emotiva ERM 6.2's)?

edit: I went ahead and ordered them; it seemed like too good of a deal to pass up. We shall see how this turns out.

1000 umbrellas fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 20, 2009

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

1000 umbrellas posted:

I've been holding off on buying speakers, but now I see that AV123 has a sale on their ELT525M monitors that someone had recommended a few pages ago: $169.00 for the pair, shipped.

http://www.av123.com//index.php?pag...emart&Itemid=37

If one were in my position (I have a Pro-Ject Debut III going through an Emotiva USP-1 preamp to a UPA-2 stereo amplifier [thank you Turnip Head for the tip off on Emotiva]), would these speakers be worth it, or would I be better off waiting for a few more bucks to come my way for something more pricey (like the Emotiva ERM 6.2's)?

edit: I went ahead and ordered them; it seemed like too good of a deal to pass up. We shall see how this turns out.

Haha, I had no idea you went the Emotiva route. Your preamp and amp are the same as I have. I've heard great things about those speakers you just bought. I was between getting them and the Emotiva ERM-1s and went with the Emos. I'm sure they're fairly similar, but one thing you should know about both of them is that you will want a subwoofer for the low end. Go to Costco if you have one nearby and they have an Energy ESW-8 for $100. If you're in a reasonably small room, it will work great.

Enjoy the system you've put together. Mine sounds incredible and I know you'll feel the same about yours. Let us know how everything works out.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I have a Pioneer sx-1100 that I got from my father. It sounds fine but when I adjust the volume I get the crackle that other people have mentioned as well as the volume can go slightly wonky unless I very slightly nudge it around. Is this something the DeoxIT can fix? Or is it more of a component problem due to the volume issue? I tried taking a look inside and had no way of readily accessing behind the faceplate. If the DeoxIT will work, can I just spray it from the top and let it soak down? I read the guide someone posted earlier but I couldn't really tell if hosing anything and everything was bad or not to hopefully get at the pieces that needed cleaning.

Secondly, I have a Dual CS-530 with a broken dustcover hinge. If anyone sees or knows of or has a replacement I would love to hear of it :(

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Raymn posted:

I have a Pioneer sx-1100 that I got from my father. It sounds fine but when I adjust the volume I get the crackle that other people have mentioned as well as the volume can go slightly wonky unless I very slightly nudge it around. Is this something the DeoxIT can fix? Or is it more of a component problem due to the volume issue? I tried taking a look inside and had no way of readily accessing behind the faceplate. If the DeoxIT will work, can I just spray it from the top and let it soak down? I read the guide someone posted earlier but I couldn't really tell if hosing anything and everything was bad or not to hopefully get at the pieces that needed cleaning.

You might be able to replace the potentiometer. DeoxIT could work but I've never used it so I couldn't help you with it. Good luck.

Doctor Londom
Feb 24, 2006
I'm gonna get to the bottom of this and I don't give a fuck if you're at the top.

Raymn posted:

Secondly, I have a Dual CS-530 with a broken dustcover hinge. If anyone sees or knows of or has a replacement I would love to hear of it :(

Try pulling the knob off and spraying the Deoxit around the shaft. Rotate it a whole bunch afterwards. If that doesn't penetrate it enough, the faceplate is usually removable if you pull all the knobs and switch covers off.

The problem is almost certainly due to dirty controls and should not require a pot replacement

nickgash
Dec 25, 2009

Doctor Londom posted:

Try pulling the knob off and spraying the Deoxit around the shaft. Rotate it a whole bunch afterwards. If that doesn't penetrate it enough, the faceplate is usually removable if you pull all the knobs and switch covers off.

The problem is almost certainly due to dirty controls and should not require a pot replacement

But if it does require a replacement, you can more than likely find one at a surplus electronics store. Every big city has a dusty old building full of every electronic component you could imagine. In Dallas, our mecca is called Tanner Electronics. My circuit-bent buddies and I have found countless items of absolute necessity for 99 cents.

And hey, if you're comfortable with a soldering iron, replace it yourself! Doing something like that will give you an inflated sense of self-worth a Sunday afternoon.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Well, unfortunately it doesn't use fancy knobs. Instead it has a slide volume adjuster that has some sort of track. it's kinda hard to describe but the slide doesn't seem removeable from the front. It's late 80s so things don't come apart as nicely as an older unit might. Lots of pcb and ribbon cables. I'm fairly certain I attempted to disassemble it as much as it would go without a major repair commitment into unfamiliar territory. If a soak in that magic solution should be effective and safe to expose to other parts I'll likely try that route and hope for the best.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Just Deoxit it. It solves 95% of all problems with old equipment.

Doctor Londom
Feb 24, 2006
I'm gonna get to the bottom of this and I don't give a fuck if you're at the top.
The slide type can be cleaned with DeoxIT, but should be lubed afterward with DeoxIT FaderLube or something similar. If I remember correctly, they eat themselves apart without it.

Taking it apart really looks a lot harder than it is. Open the top of the unit and then start removing screws as you see fit. You may need to shove some wires around but usually it's pretty straightforward.

porcellus
Oct 28, 2004
oh wait, wrong chat window

Click here for the full 1824x1216 image.

I just bought this from the local SA store for $75. It's missing a leg and plopped on one side as of now. It's a Montgomery Ward brand and I've no idea of the quality but it sounds really great from my headphones so far.

I just need a pair of speakers now, is this a good deal? http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/ele/1535448150.html

Also what are those metal things on the back of the speaker? Are those RCA jack caps?

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004
Those are not rca plug caps, the are push button wire retainer thingies. Basically, you push the button down and put the wire through the exposed hole, release the button and the wire is held in place. I have a slightly newer pair of pioneers that have the same grill but more features (go go useless triamp ability!). If they are anything like mine, they are pretty decent. On the other hand, they are 175, I paid 20 for mine. If you are patient and look around thrift stores that are not in major metropolitan areas, you will find some steals.

Since you are in portland, have you tried the red white and blue at 19239 SE McLoughlin Blvd? There is also a decent goodwill nearby in OC where I got my speakers. I also got nice pair of vintage pioneer headphones as well from the GW. I have spotted some good stuff that I passed up, there was another pair of pioneer speakers like mine at rwb for about thirty dollars, I saw a harmon and kardon dual mono receiver at GW for 20, then found another dual mono HK of slightly lower stature at RWB for like $30. I don't know about GW, but RWB is pretty good about testing their stuff too, they will even put a sticker on the item if it is missing something, something doesn't work on it or just that they haven't tested it.

It is also interesting to note that those pioneers have a 1/4" input as well. It is possible to find an amp, probably not a receiver, in a thrift store that has 1/4" speaker outs, but unlikely. The thing about going to a thrift store to get good deals on old stereo equipment is to research what equipment was any good in the first place and sometimes at what point did a company turn to poo poo and stop making worthwhile products (see: altec lansing)

One small drawback with this vintage by way of thrift store is that you sometimes have to deal with gear horders or people who just want to flip it on ebay. When I was looking at the HK at GW, there was a dude breathing down my neck while he was checking his blackberry for the price of it on ebay I assume. After I was done, he did a cursory look at the thing and ran off to the register. I felt kind of bad for some reason, even though my buying it wouldn't have made things much better.

On final tip for thrift stores, always grab a cart first thing. I have been lucky so far, but I have heard many stories of people spotting awesome/heavy stuff and going to get a cart only to see it grabbed by someone else. Another side tip is to check out audio karma, somewhere on there is a thread about portland craigslist deals and there is also a thread or two about thrift store finds that have interesting info as well.

porcellus
Oct 28, 2004
oh wait, wrong chat window
Wow, never heard of RWB before, lots of thanks for that - I always go to the bins and am underwhelmed by the finds, considering the drive. But it looks like rwb and that goodwill are on the way there as well. I'll definitely check out that place and you just saved me a bunch of money :)

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

stizu posted:

Those are not rca plug caps, the are push button wire retainer thingies. Basically, you push the button down and put the wire through the exposed hole, release the button and the wire is held in place. I have a slightly newer pair of pioneers that have the same grill but more features (go go useless triamp ability!). If they are anything like mine, they are pretty decent. On the other hand, they are 175, I paid 20 for mine. If you are patient and look around thrift stores that are not in major metropolitan areas, you will find some steals.

Since you are in portland, have you tried the red white and blue at 19239 SE McLoughlin Blvd? There is also a decent goodwill nearby in OC where I got my speakers. I also got nice pair of vintage pioneer headphones as well from the GW. I have spotted some good stuff that I passed up, there was another pair of pioneer speakers like mine at rwb for about thirty dollars, I saw a harmon and kardon dual mono receiver at GW for 20, then found another dual mono HK of slightly lower stature at RWB for like $30. I don't know about GW, but RWB is pretty good about testing their stuff too, they will even put a sticker on the item if it is missing something, something doesn't work on it or just that they haven't tested it.

It is also interesting to note that those pioneers have a 1/4" input as well. It is possible to find an amp, probably not a receiver, in a thrift store that has 1/4" speaker outs, but unlikely. The thing about going to a thrift store to get good deals on old stereo equipment is to research what equipment was any good in the first place and sometimes at what point did a company turn to poo poo and stop making worthwhile products (see: altec lansing)

One small drawback with this vintage by way of thrift store is that you sometimes have to deal with gear horders or people who just want to flip it on ebay. When I was looking at the HK at GW, there was a dude breathing down my neck while he was checking his blackberry for the price of it on ebay I assume. After I was done, he did a cursory look at the thing and ran off to the register. I felt kind of bad for some reason, even though my buying it wouldn't have made things much better.

On final tip for thrift stores, always grab a cart first thing. I have been lucky so far, but I have heard many stories of people spotting awesome/heavy stuff and going to get a cart only to see it grabbed by someone else. Another side tip is to check out audio karma, somewhere on there is a thread about portland craigslist deals and there is also a thread or two about thrift store finds that have interesting info as well.

The true secret of any major area good will is that the really good audio equipment never, ever makes it to the floor. Every good will in my area has a guy or two whom everything is set aside for so he can pick through it, and the leftovers are then put on the floor.

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004

HKR posted:

The true secret of any major area good will is that the really good audio equipment never, ever makes it to the floor. Every good will in my area has a guy or two whom everything is set aside for so he can pick through it, and the leftovers are then put on the floor.

If you go to audio karma, you will find that is not always the case. Also, so what if there was a McIntosh in the back when I was handling the HK? Knowing GW and their bizarre pricing here, pretty much a hundred dollars for anything with 5.1, If they knew enough to keep it in the back that McIntosh would be on the floor for $200. A good deal, but not what I can afford.

I am curious to find out how you know this to be true, do you have a guy? Another invisible problem is that vintage gear is in limited supply and there are only so many deceased audiophiles that were holding on to that sort of thing. I also figure that anything from more recent times that would possibly be a hot deal if found in a thrift store is far too shiny and obvious to the people who want to get rid of it to dump it at the thrift store.

Speaking of price range, I forgot that the portland craigslist thread on AK is mostly about deals on things that would normally be really expensive and are still more than I could justify, perhaps even if I had the money. It also moves incredibly slow.

I just remembered that I spotted some behringer stuff not too long ago, a studio headphone amp and something with xlr plugins on it that I thought was an amp but wasn't sure after looking closely at it.

EDIT: Sorry, just noticed the phrase, 'major area'. I think that it is just the fact that there are people who will trawl goodwill on their merchandising schedule so that they can sort of have first pick.

That Genuine Stank fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 9, 2010

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I was about to take all four of my Technics 1200's to this shop in Denton, but they appear to not be doing any work. Guess I'll be looking for a new place to get work done, preferably closer to Houston.

WAIL posted:

I was wondering if someone could help me out here. My record player is picking up Mexican radio. Is there any way to stop this? Google tells me to put a ferrite choke around the ground wire so I bought one, and it doesn't help. Any suggestions?

How old is your house? My place is over eighty years old and the owner never really grounded the plugs properly, although he did put in three-prong outlets to be confusing. Some of my friends' guitar amps pick up the radio stations, but my AV setup hasn't as of yet. The worst is our practice space where my friend has a small recording studio set up. He picks up the radio signal something fierce in his monitors and the plugs are grounded fine there. We're still trying to figure out what's causing it, the noise is infuriating.

metaxus posted:

Good to see the Discwasher D4+ hidden away there on the right ;)

So I like the wood glue idea and have my own D4 brush, but I'd really like to get one of the cleaner machines. I've heard that the VPI is a good deal for the price and I read about the Nitty Gritty ones a few years ago. Do ya'll have any experiences with cleaners?

I DJ at the local college radio and we've got thirty year old records that've been played hundreds if not thousands of times. Any cleaner I get is going to get some serious use at the station and I'm trying to get them to pay for it, but I doubt they'll pay much more than what the VPI sells for.

QPZIL posted:

What do you guys use to hold your records? I stole a milk crate from work today but it's about 1/2" too small :(

Urban myths say that milk crates were made smaller because so many people stole them to hold records. You can still find some out there that fit records, but I've found that Post Office mail containers work quite well and are easy enough to find. Just make sure you return it to the Government after you're done using it.

katzinator posted:

I dunno, but $9 + shipping for a cardboard box and $25 + shipping for a cheapass wood crate seems like a ripoff. The Expedit shelving from Ikea is nearly the gold standard for many record nerds, as it is rather inexpensive, very customizable (comes in a variety of sizes/colors), and doesn't make your record collection look like it belongs in a broke college-kid's house.

No doubt, I first saw a friend with one of these back in 2004 I think and bought one the next week. They're pretty much the best possible record shelf out there for the price.

Actually, mine is filling up and I'm buying the two row version as soon as the color I want is in stock at the local Ikea. They make great room dividers as well.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 12, 2010

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Soooo, looking at getting a turntable. Looking on CL, I've got a couple SL-1200Mk2s for 200-250, and a "5-year old Pro-Ject" turntable for 100 (With a box of records).

Is one going to be better than the other? I really love the SL-1200, but the (blurry) pic of the Pro-Ject looks pretty sweet too, and the ones posted earlier in the thread looked sick. I'm trying to figure out model numbers for it.

Thanks!

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Wombot posted:

Soooo, looking at getting a turntable. Looking on CL, I've got a couple SL-1200Mk2s for 200-250, and a "5-year old Pro-Ject" turntable for 100 (With a box of records).

Is one going to be better than the other? I really love the SL-1200, but the (blurry) pic of the Pro-Ject looks pretty sweet too, and the ones posted earlier in the thread looked sick. I'm trying to figure out model numbers for it.

Thanks!

Assuming the Pro-Ject is actually in good shape, that's a steal no matter what model it is. The picture is blurry but it does look like a Debut III. If the albums are in good shape it's a no-brainer. The whole ad seems too good to be true, though.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Ghumbs posted:

Assuming the Pro-Ject is actually in good shape, that's a steal no matter what model it is. The picture is blurry but it does look like a Debut III. If the albums are in good shape it's a no-brainer. The whole ad seems too good to be true, though.

So the dude has no idea what it is, the only numbers on the back are P1.2 NC500.40.

Any idea?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Wombot posted:

So the dude has no idea what it is, the only numbers on the back are P1.2 NC500.40.

Any idea?

Pro-Ject 1.2. Good entry-level table, especially if you upgrade the cartridge.

For $100 it's a steal. Assuming it's in good condition, I'd jump on it.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

TheMadMilkman posted:

Pro-Ject 1.2. Good entry-level table, [b]especially if you upgrade the cartridge.[b]

For $100 it's a steal. Assuming it's in good condition, I'd jump on it.

OK, good. Looking around, I read some blurb on it that mentioned the "attached" cartridge, like it was permanent or something. Worded weird.

I'll be picking it and the vinyl up from him tomorrow night, I'll get some pics up! Thanks for the help!

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Wombot posted:

OK, good. Looking around, I read some blurb on it that mentioned the "attached" cartridge, like it was permanent or something. Worded weird.

I'll be picking it and the vinyl up from him tomorrow night, I'll get some pics up! Thanks for the help!

Yeah let us know and congrats if it all works out. Pro-Jects are great tables. I've owned a Debut III and currently have an RM-5 SE. You'll like it. What are you hooking it up to? Also, let us know what vinyl came with it. Good luck!

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Ghumbs posted:

Yeah let us know and congrats if it all works out. Pro-Jects are great tables. I've owned a Debut III and currently have an RM-5 SE. You'll like it. What are you hooking it up to? Also, let us know what vinyl came with it. Good luck!

Or they could sell it out from under me this morning.

Whoopsies!

Edit: Found a guy selling 2 Mk2's, got them for a song. Hot drat! Going to clean one up and replace a missing foot, and toss it back on CL.

Wombot fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 14, 2010

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Hopefully this is the correct thread for this question - I did a couple of quick site searches and didn't find much in A/V. But perhaps I'm just blind.

I have a lot of old vinyl from my parents that they offloaded onto me, and a few LPs of my own from the last century which haven't been repressed in CD (subpop bands and poo poo like that), the contents of which I want to convert to a digital format.

I understand there are turntables of varying quality and utility designed for this specific purpose. I've seen a scant few articles on Soundlab's iPhono (chortle) along with some bad reviews, and I think audio-technica do something similar which presumably costs much more.

I'm not really an audio connoisseur - I don't own any $500 wooden blocks or even a centimeter of triple x platinum plus monster cable (or a stereo system for that matter - mostly for fear my wife would blast Abba and Lily loving Allen at me), but what I'm aiming for is something which will produce a decent, acceptable digital version of the original record that I can use mostly on MP3 players or in my car via a memory stick.

I realize this may be a heretical question, but can any goons steer me towards the best bang-for-the-buck option in this field?

(PS - product would have to be available in Europe / the UK)

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I just broke the stylus off my old Rega Elys cart, so I had the local hi-fi store put a new Bias 2 on there and set it up right. Rega has a trade-in program so I got $40 off the cart and free installation never hurts!

I'm wondering about my next upgrade steps. I have a Planar 2 clone sitting on an Ikea Lack side table. I'm thinking about spiking both the table legs and replacing the turntable feet themselves with spikes. Any suggestions for how to do this on a budget? Also, should I look at counterweight upgrades or platter upgrades first?

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
Currently listening to Livingston Taylor on the system in my study:

1978 Sony TA-212 Amplifier (40w per channel)
1983 Philips CD202 CD Player (Top loading, CDM-0 mech)

Both are older than me, the Philips by only 3 months though

More info on the restoration of the Philips in my flickr set.

For those of you that don't know, I collect and restore first gen CD players as a hobby. I have 15, all but 2 in working order and my girlfriend thinks I'm completely insane.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I'm sort of new at all this so I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this:

I just got a Technics SL-B35 which seems to be in decent working order. It is missing the dust cover and I was wondering how important they actually are. Is it something that I really should think about replacing? If so, where the hell do I find it? I feel like I've looked everywhere on the net and came up with nothing.

Secondly, I'm thinking about maybe replacing the cartridge or at least just the needle. Only thing is the cartridge doesn't just pop off like other ones I've seen, it's actually screwed in there. Is there a special kind of cartridge or stylus I'd have to get?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

metaxus posted:

For those of you that don't know, I collect and restore first gen CD players as a hobby. I have 15, all but 2 in working order and my girlfriend thinks I'm completely insane.

Aren't early CD players known to mostly have terrifically terrible DACs?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Just got this off of Craigslist. It actually works, but the pots are all pretty hosed and need to be cleaned real bad. One of the speakers is spotty, but might level out once all the components get cleaned/lubed. And that white piece by the brush was rattling around inside when I took the back panel off to clean out all the dust, not sure where it goes.

I have no clue how the record player works, specifically the automatic parts. I can get it to work normally, but I've never used one like this and can't find a manual online for free.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Iv been checking craigslist for about a month now looking for a used technics 1200 turn table and just wanted you guys just take a look at this ad and see if anything seems weird about it. The guy has two turntables but will split them for 425$ each. He said they are about 4 years old.

Up for sale is a pair of customized, hardly-used Technics 1200 mk2 turntables in black. Only left my smoke-free house once (while moving to my new house). They both look and play like new, with the following modifications:
- brand new tonearm assembly on one deck (just for looks)
- custom dual-LED popup lamps (very bright white)
- ground wire mod (eliminates need for ground wire, works with all mixers)
- upgraded to custom-made Canare RCA cables, mesh-wrapped and heatshrunk for looks and added protection
- upgraded to Technics 1200 m3d pitch faders (the ones with no zero click), lubed and calibrated. No more dead spots!
- 33/45 speed select lights replaced with super bright LEDs: 1 turntable has bright blue, the other flashes a multicolour pattern
- power switch/strobe lights replaced with super bright LEDs: 1 turntable has bright blue, the other has hyperwhite

Motor, plinth, base, and feet are in excellent condition with negligible wear. Pitch gain and brake controls are calibrated to original Technics specifications.

I will include a pair of slipmats and the stock rubber mat. No cartridges included but I have a pair of Ortofon Qbert Concordes that I can add for $100 each with brand new styli.

TouchToneDialing fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 25, 2010

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

That's a lot of wiring mods that could've been hosed up. Also, $425? Where do you live? I see pairs of mk2s go up on seattle.craigslist for 500-700 all the time, and singles are usually priced high at $350 and sold around $250.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Im in Ontario Canada. I havent seen any that low, normally they seem to be around 500 each. I should pass and wait some more you think?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
drat that's alot for 1200's, I think I got mine for under $200 each from Ebay back in '03. I say keep digging if you want used, or just get some new ones so you don't have to worry about defects.

edit

Finally got around to dropping off the 1200's for repair work, they even fit in the trunk nicely.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 27, 2010

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

ShaneB posted:

Aren't early CD players known to mostly have terrifically terrible DACs?

Some of the early players have 14 bit DACs, but from mid 1983 onwards, they were pretty much all 16 bit.

I stumbled across this site yesterday: http://wegavision.pytalhost.com/

Lots and lots of vintage brochures of A/V gear through the 50's to the 90's.

All in German, but if you can't read auf deutsch, there are still a lot of nice pictures to look at. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stupid little gayby
Nov 4, 2009
I already asked in the general questions thread, but I figure I'd be better off here: I have a harman/kardon 330c stereo receiver, and the right audio channel isn't working, through speakers or headphones. I'm uh well retarded and have no idea how these things work, but I opened it up to see if there was any obvious damage, and noticed this little guy here was loose. Could he be the problem orrr any other ideas