Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

proudfoot posted:

Now, the deal is tempting, at 23k, and for a very low milage model, but the salvage title has me immediately suspicious. I email the person asking for pictures, and he replied:

Is this a decent deal? And if any other AI goon is in the bay area, and willing to look at this with me, I'll be greatly thankful. I'll buy you dinner or something.

That 9k discount is nowhere near enough to make it a good deal. When you try to sell this car you'll get hit with the other side of the door.

I see another 2007 335i in the Bay area for 27k. I don't think you'll have to look too hard to find a proper specimen for not too much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Kenshin posted:

Just swapped out my valve cover gasket on my E36 M3 today (with a friend who was also swapping the valve cover gasket on his E36 M3 and who knew what he was doing). Seems to have solved my burnt oil problem entirely. First time I've ever done any real work on a car and I had the goddamn engine open. He was impressed that I was able to keep up with him and finish at the same time, just by watching what he was doing.

Pretty proud of myself. :v: Honestly not that much different from working in a computer except for a lot more oil I guess.

Cool. This is the next thing on my list to do on my e46 M3. The few things I've done so far have been suspension related (put stock springs back on, replaced RTABs) so I'm looking forward to something that doesn't involve lifting the car up.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

the last week and a half I was in reno, all the snow and lack of plowing meant I left my chains on the entire time

I was slipping and sliding around in my mothers e46 325i even with chains, I doubt I would have even made it out of the driveway without them

I think I mandated all season tires be put on last time they were replaced but I do not remember what is on there

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I found the E36 to be incredibly planted in the snow, back end rarely steps out and is easily controllable when it does. I didn't have weight in the back or snow tyres either. My old flat was at the bottom of an unploughed hill and it coped very well.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Well I am starting the process to rebuild the 4l30e in my e34 525i. So far, I have the exhaust and driveshaft out, and torque converter unbolted, which were cake being an arizona car without a single spot of rust. Think I should post a thread or here with the interesting stuff? (Inside the trans)

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
...so my wife gets home from work, and she tells me the car is making a funny sound. I get in and drive it around the block. It sounds like a flat tire. She said she was at a stop sign and when she put the car into gear and started to roll it made a "pop" sound, and then the noise started. It gets faster in frequency the faster the car is going.

All signs point to a flat tire, but I took a look at all the tires, and I don't see any punctures. Of course it's dark out and 30 degress, so maybe that's not the most investigative diagnosis. I also have free service and a warranty, so I call them and and she'll take the car tomorrow. I hope the tires are OK and the clutch blew, because then it'd free.

Argh.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Lowclock posted:

Well I am starting the process to rebuild the 4l30e in my e34 525i. So far, I have the exhaust and driveshaft out, and torque converter unbolted, which were cake being an arizona car without a single spot of rust. Think I should post a thread or here with the interesting stuff? (Inside the trans)

oh man this needs a thread. a painful thread. I think the last I'M GONNA REBUILD MY AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION! thread ended in tears.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Jorsh posted:

oh man this needs a thread. a painful thread. I think the last I'M GONNA REBUILD MY AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION! thread ended in tears.

I think it also ended with the parts all laid out and identified as black magic and wizardry.

usurper
Oct 19, 2003

Sup

peterjmatt posted:

VVV Edit: BMWs are in fact bad in the snow. Proper tires help a lot, but compared to almost every other car I've ever driven in snow (in a life spent in Boston and Denver) BMWs are some of the worst. They're still drivable, but as a general rule sporty, rear wheel drive cars equipped with open diffs don't make good snow cars.

...unless you like doing doughnuts

...which I do.

I agree to a point, but don't want to discourage people from buying rear wheel drive vehicles because of this statement. BMW is no worse than any other RWD vehicle, and I think it's a lot better in this regard than other brands. I've had an E36M3 and now my E39M5, and with Blizzaks on both cars. Both cars are incredibly capable in the snow with the proper tires and some precaution. DSC does a decent job of keeping things straight (when I want), and there's no difference in stopping regardless of what wheels are driving the vehicle.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads
I'm a big fan of the BMW product and I'd recommend them to anyone who enjoys driving. I've owned several and I drive them every day for a living.

That being said, in my experience they're not good snow cars compared to most other vehicles I've driven. This isn't to say that you can't or shouldn't drive them in the snow- I do every winter. But saying they're good snow cars is just misleading from my viewpoint.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I just spent some time looking up BMW tire noise. And it turns out a lot of people are complaining about the noise due to the run-flat tires. I hope what I'm experiencing is not due to that. It's a whump-whump-whump noise, not the grinding like I keep seeing described as a run-flat symptom noise. I hope I don't have to buy new tires.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Jorsh posted:

Good enough for me! Even if I fail, it's not like it will be in any worse shape than when I started.

First order of business, what daemon should I make my unholy pact with, and what should my spirit animal be on this journey of self-discovery?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jerk McJerkface posted:

It's a whump-whump-whump noise, not the grinding like I keep seeing described as a run-flat symptom noise.

Could it be incredibly flat-spotted? How fast do you have to go before you hear it?

flublandDrussiavelt
Nov 4, 2009

by Ozma

peterjmatt posted:

I'm a big fan of the BMW product and I'd recommend them to anyone who enjoys driving. I've owned several and I drive them every day for a living.

That being said, in my experience they're not good snow cars compared to most other vehicles I've driven. This isn't to say that you can't or shouldn't drive them in the snow- I do every winter. But saying they're good snow cars is just misleading from my viewpoint.
well in my experience, i drove my e36 m3 in the blizzard last year and it handled much better than my family's civic. It's not a good idea to drive any car in the kind of snow we had here last december, but the m3 made it up the hill near rt 9 as a saab was sliding backwards down it, unable to gain traction. With nice snow tires, and the traction control that 97+ bmws have, it's reasonable to say they're great winter cars.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads
You're right, I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about. Surely the e36 M3 is all anyone needs for winter driving. M3s for all! Why does BMW even make x-drive?

Seriously, I understand the need to defend what you like, and if you own a car you tend to build up a product loyalty...but don't be stupid.

Edit: Again, I drive these cars in the winter. They're certainly not impossible to handle, especially with the right tires. But they're not good. There are a thousand cars I'd rather drive in a snowstorm. Again it's all opinion. My opinion just happens to be right.

Ethelinda Sapsea fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 17, 2009

flublandDrussiavelt
Nov 4, 2009

by Ozma

peterjmatt posted:

You're right, I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about. Surely the e36 M3 is all anyone needs for winter driving. M3s for all! Why does BMW even make x-drive?

Seriously, I understand the need to defend what you like, and if you own a car you tend to build up a product loyalty...but don't be stupid.

I'm sorry you feel that way, I have no brand loyalty and was very surprised myself, I thought i was in for a horrible ride. I'm sure that all wheel drive is more predictable and allows you to go faster in worse weather, and if you live in a place that has blizzards often, then it would be better to get a 4 wheel drive car. I've already been through several winters with it and found it very adequate.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

kimbo305 posted:

Could it be incredibly flat-spotted? How fast do you have to go before you hear it?

Not very fast. Pretty much as soon as you start you hear it, and it increases in frequency the faster you go. I took it out late last night, and didn't hear anything at all, but it was freezing cold by then, so maybe the car has to be a little warmer. My wife is bringing it in this morning to the dealership, so we'll see how it goes.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

...so my wife gets home from work, and she tells me the car is making a funny sound. I get in and drive it around the block. It sounds like a flat tire. She said she was at a stop sign and when she put the car into gear and started to roll it made a "pop" sound, and then the noise started. It gets faster in frequency the faster the car is going.

All signs point to a flat tire, but I took a look at all the tires, and I don't see any punctures. Of course it's dark out and 30 degress, so maybe that's not the most investigative diagnosis. I also have free service and a warranty, so I call them and and she'll take the car tomorrow. I hope the tires are OK and the clutch blew, because then it'd free.

Argh.

Not sure if it helps, but it was around 5 degrees outside last night and I started driving home and heard something similar to what your describing. Sounded like my driver side rear had a flat, or the wheel was on loose. I pulled into a parking lot and took a look at my tires. Everything looked good. I started driving again and everything was fine.

I am guessing that either a chunk of ice got stuck, or the parking brake was sticking a little bit.

random logic
Oct 19, 2009

usurper posted:

I agree to a point, but don't want to discourage people from buying rear wheel drive vehicles because of this statement. BMW is no worse than any other RWD vehicle, and I think it's a lot better in this regard than other brands. I've had an E36M3 and now my E39M5, and with Blizzaks on both cars. Both cars are incredibly capable in the snow with the proper tires and some precaution. DSC does a decent job of keeping things straight (when I want), and there's no difference in stopping regardless of what wheels are driving the vehicle.

+1

Driving around in and area that sees regular snow and not having a set of snow tires is dumb. Also being able to get a set of extra rims and snow tires that are a -1 fit helps a lot.

The initial cost is more when having 2 sets of rims and tires, but it all works out in the end with the mileage being split between a nice set of summer and winter tires.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

random logic posted:

+1

Driving around in and area that sees regular snow and not having a set of snow tires is dumb. Also being able to get a set of extra rims and snow tires that are a -1 fit helps a lot.

The initial cost is more when having 2 sets of rims and tires, but it all works out in the end with the mileage being split between a nice set of summer and winter tires.

On top of it - summer tires in the winter is suicidal. I realized that with my first car, then my second, and the M3 has proven its point. Mine has General Exlclaim UHP on them all the way around. 10 degree weather and they run okay but definitely can get traction control crying if I hit it too hard. They turn into bricks under 30 degrees.

I'm shopping around for some stock BMW M3 18" wheels so I can purchase some Blizzaks but no one seems to be dumping their wheels lately. :(

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

VibrioCholera posted:

On top of it - summer tires in the winter is suicidal. I realized that with my first car, then my second, and the M3 has proven its point. Mine has General Exlclaim UHP on them all the way around. 10 degree weather and they run okay but definitely can get traction control crying if I hit it too hard. They turn into bricks under 30 degrees.

I'm shopping around for some stock BMW M3 18" wheels so I can purchase some Blizzaks but no one seems to be dumping their wheels lately. :(

I'm looking for them too. I can find a lot of e46 18" CSL wheels pretty cheap, but I can't find e90 wheels. I wonder if they fit.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Is it a Subaru in the snow? No, of course not, but you won't die just because it's RWD and sporty. This year I put my RE01Rs on a few weeks too early and ended up caught in a snowstorm with them. Over a seven mile stretch of I-71 there were over 20 cars including a number of 4x4s and a semi in the ditch on each side, but I made it out and back on tires that were pretty much frozen solid and useless for traction. With the Blizzaks on it, I've done some pretty dumb things and had the combination of tires and ESP save my rear end, but never has it stepped out unexpectedly or became hard to control.

I learned how to drive on a 2WD 5 speed Ranger in an Ohio winter though and had never driven a FWD in snow until two years ago, so I'm a bit off the norm with winter driving.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

wolrah posted:

Is it a Subaru in the snow? No, of course not, but you won't die just because it's RWD and sporty. This year I put my RE01Rs on a few weeks too early and ended up caught in a snowstorm with them. Over a seven mile stretch of I-71 there were over 20 cars including a number of 4x4s and a semi in the ditch on each side, but I made it out and back on tires that were pretty much frozen solid and useless for traction. With the Blizzaks on it, I've done some pretty dumb things and had the combination of tires and ESP save my rear end, but never has it stepped out unexpectedly or became hard to control.

I learned how to drive on a 2WD 5 speed Ranger in an Ohio winter though and had never driven a FWD in snow until two years ago, so I'm a bit off the norm with winter driving.

I commonly see huge AWD SUVs stranded in ditches around here. I think the problem is that people assume that because they have a AWD they can drive how ever they want. Although, usually they have huge 23" rims and low profile tires.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I commonly see huge AWD SUVs stranded in ditches around here. I think the problem is that people assume that because they have a AWD they can drive how ever they want.

It's like that here in Alaska too. Very rarely do I see a FWD or RWD car in the ditch. It's pretty much always SUVs, Subarus and trucks. I've counted 6, on a 5 mile stretch of road, in the ditch one wintery morning on the way to work. Not one of them was FWD or RWD. It's true, people think AWD is an immunity to the laws of physics and will drive like douches.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Minimaul posted:

It's like that here in Alaska too. Very rarely do I see a FWD or RWD car in the ditch. It's pretty much always SUVs, Subarus and trucks. I've counted 6, on a 5 mile stretch of road, in the ditch one wintery morning on the way to work. Not one of them was FWD or RWD. It's true, people think AWD is an immunity to the laws of physics and will drive like douches.

I have a friend from Miami that moved to the North East. She leased a Lexus, the salesman told her that it was AWD so it would be great in the bad weather. She had the sport package on the car, and it came with low-profile 18's on it. She had never driven in snow before, and now she has a Lexus IS250 with racing tires on it, and she commonly drives while texting. That can't end badly.

Gas Break Dip
May 16, 2008

Then scrape.
I am very interested in a certain '99 M3 in my favorite color that is basically my dream E36 and I need everyone's opinion. Is it worth the $13k he is asking considering the mileage? He says he has a lot of service records and that the interior is immaculate which judging from the pictures that seems true. To me the whole car looks very clean and apparently needs nothing.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1363849

... and the two best parts? NO sunroof and it's completely bone stock. Also the Fern/Modena combo is pure sex. I already PM'ed him expressing interest as I will be needing a new car in about two weeks. I think I am about to be a very happy goon.

Sorry for the derail.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Although, usually they have huge 23" rims and low profile tires.

This is rampant in southern jersey. It is usually never tasteful. I would hope that most SUV owners would have a second set of shoes with snow tires for winter, but I am afraid they probably don't.

Gas Break Dip fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 19, 2009

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Gas Break Dip posted:

I am very interested in a certain '99 M3 in my favorite color that is basically my dream E36 and I need everyone's opinion. Is it worth the $13k he is asking considering the mileage? He says he has a lot of service records and that the interior is immaculate which judging from the pictures that seems true. To me the whole car looks very clean and apparently needs nothing.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1363849

... and the two best parts? NO sunroof and it's completely bone stock. Also the Fern/Modena combo is pure sex. I already PM'ed him expressing interest as I will be needing a new car in about two weeks. I think I am about to be a very happy goon.
13k seems a bit high for an E36 M3 with 119k miles on it.

For comparison: I got my Black 1999 M3 5spd conv with 133k miles for 8k (talked the guy down from 9.6k). It had a few minor issues, the biggest which I've since fixed (for $35 + 2 hours of my time), but also had some nice mods on it (Dinan Cold Air Intake, Dinan chip reprogramming). The other one I'd been looking at was a flawless Silver 1999 M3 5spd conv with 124k miles for 10k.

Since the car is in such good condition (and is rare), maybe it's worth a bit more, but 13k just seems high.

random logic
Oct 19, 2009

Minimaul posted:

It's true, people think AWD is an immunity to the laws of physics and will drive like douches.

4w/awd accelerates great, but it doesn't stop any faster than the rest of us.

For two winters I had a Audi 90 20v with a set of Haak's. I could drive like a complete jackass in that thing and get away with it. I still prefer my E30 M3 though.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Gas Break Dip posted:

Just wondering, why is it so spooge-worthy that it has no sunroof? Afraid of leaks?

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Pilsner posted:

Just wondering, why is it so spooge-worthy that it has no sunroof? Afraid of leaks?

A power sunroof adds tons of extra weight at the highest point of the car.

flublandDrussiavelt
Nov 4, 2009

by Ozma

Kenshin posted:

13k seems a bit high for an E36 M3 with 119k miles on it.

For comparison: I got my Black 1999 M3 5spd conv with 133k miles for 8k (talked the guy down from 9.6k). It had a few minor issues, the biggest which I've since fixed (for $35 + 2 hours of my time), but also had some nice mods on it (Dinan Cold Air Intake, Dinan chip reprogramming). The other one I'd been looking at was a flawless Silver 1999 M3 5spd conv with 124k miles for 10k.

Since the car is in such good condition (and is rare), maybe it's worth a bit more, but 13k just seems high.
No surprise, it's bimmerforums. it's full of shitheads who think their BMW IS WORTH WHAT AN ENTHOUSIAST WILL PAY FOR IT. I mean you can try negotiating with him, but every sale thread, no matter how ridiculous the price is, is full of encouragement like "if i had that kind of money i'd buy it right away" "great car worth every penny". In other words car enthusiast sites are full of idiots, no surprise there.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Black88GTA posted:

A power sunroof adds tons of extra weight at the highest point of the car.

It also consumes quite a bit of headroom inside the car, which can lead to head clearance issues if you are particularly tall or take it anywhere you have to wear a helmet (i.e. any track).

Mr. Toast
Oct 10, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Just had the e30 S52 dyno'd. Made 247.6whp and 242.7ft-lbs! The odd part is, an e46 M3 put down 258whp an hour later. My friend's Saleen F150, which put down 310whp on a Dynojet made 289whp on this dyno, which is a Dynacom. Supposedly it reads 8% lower than a Dynojet.

All the numbers were pretty consistant with the car and it's mods - a Boxster S put down 243 with minor mods.

I'm just running a full dual 60mm exhaust with no x or h pipe, euro spec supersprint longtube reps, a 90 degree silicone reducer replacing the stock boot, a 3.5" HFM and CAI, 12 lb flywheel, M50 manifold, OBD1 conversion, and TRM software.

There are schrick cammed cars making less power than I am on stock cams. And this dyno seems to be reading a little low. Hell, I've got an exhaust leak or two to take care of, and still haven't had the x-pipe made.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Weird, you're running the exact same bolt-ons as me, but with an extra .2L of displacement.
I haven't dynoed my car, but there's no way I'm putting down power like that. You must be smoking e46 m3s.

Penguin Radar
Oct 22, 2005

Well, in 10 days of ownership, I've clocked up 4,700km and now the inspection light is on :)

I love it!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Bleh. Looks like my valve cover gasket swap didn't do the trick. I'll have to take a look at the car after Christmas and see where it's leaking from. Hopefully it was just a screwup on my part not doing the sealant correctly or something.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I'm not sure why, but ever since having a BMW, two very distinct things have happened:

1) People treat my wife and I a hundred times worse while driving. I've never been flipped off, cut off, honked at, or harrassed in traffic as much in all my driving as I have been in the month I've had the car.

2) When we go places, and people see me get out of the car they always treat us nicer and with more respect. I'm only 25 and I look pretty young, but people at car washes, restaurants, and other places never called me "sir" when I was driving the Saab. Suddenly, now when I go to same car wash I've been using for two years, the people there call me "Sir" and "Mr. McJerkface."

It's strange, and could make for an interesting study.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

1) People treat my wife and I a hundred times worse while driving. I've never been flipped off, cut off, honked at, or harrassed in traffic as much in all my driving as I have been in the month I've had the car.

This is enough to scare me off owning one to a certain extent. I wonder if it's any better for Audi or any worse for Mercedes.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Maybe it is because this is the first month you've owned your new BMW so you enjoy driving it enthusiastically (like an rear end in a top hat).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ynotony posted:

Maybe it is because this is the first month you've owned your new BMW so you enjoy driving it enthusiastically (like an rear end in a top hat).

Doubt it. I live in the North East, so we've had horrible weather, snow, and ice, so I've been driving it very conservatively. My last car was extremely sporty, so I drove it "enthusiastically" as well and didn't get treated the same. It's also happening to my wife, and she's a very careful driver. I drive the car maybe twice a week, my wife drives it every day and she was the first one to mention it to me.

I thought the same thing, though, and have been very careful driving. Sure enough, while driving yesterday two people cut me off from the right, crossing in front of me, and then in to the lane to my left, one guy actually slowed down to get beside me and then flipped me off.

sanchez posted:

I wonder if it's any better for Audi or any worse for Mercedes.

Well, I think the problem is exacerbated by the fact that Mercedes apparently don't come with turn signals.