Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I knew those would come up. SLC punk is still one of my favorites but it's been awhile since I saw Warriors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirigible stew
Feb 18, 2006

crime fighting hog posted:

Also, can anyone recommend a movie where the characters just mostly go around causing havoc and destroying poo poo, being complete wastes of society? Besides Clockwork Orange, I mean.

Try Gummo.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
This might be too specific but...

Netflix just graced me with Apocalypse Now: The Complete Dossier and the dvd's give you the choice of watching either the original or the Redux version. I've never seen the film before, so I'm asking you fine folks which version I should watch, being a first timer and all.

Thanks! Hope this isn't the wrong place to ask.

CinnamonToastFunk
Nov 11, 2008

"He is ill clothed that is bare of funk."
--Pimpjammin Funklin
Don't watch Redux. Ever. Everything added is completely unnecessary, including a half hour scene of the crew loving some Playboy Bunnies and a 40 minute long scene at a French plantation that's just. . .incredibly boring. Watch the original, it's perfect.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

CinnamonToastFunk posted:

Don't watch Redux. Ever. Everything added is completely unnecessary, including a half hour scene of the crew loving some Playboy Bunnies and a 40 minute long scene at a French plantation that's just. . .incredibly boring. Watch the original, it's perfect.

This is 1000% the right answer.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Also, can anyone recommend a movie where the characters just mostly go around causing havoc and destroying poo poo, being complete wastes of society? Besides Clockwork Orange, I mean.

Attack the Gas Station

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

The extra scenes with Kilgore are the only reason to watch the redux.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

the posted:

poo poo I watch Natural Born Killers a couple of times every morning.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

No i in Teamocil posted:

Lately I've been going on a Charlie Kaufman kick and want to watch more movies like his. I've seen him mentioned a few times in this thread, but there are certain things I'e noticed about his movies that I want more of. First, and probably most important: an ability to make me feel sentimental while still being cynical. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is probably the best example of this. Second: they feel tremendously self-important but also self-conscious. Kaufman kind of lampshades this in Adaptation.. Third: They have a mind-fuckery element to them, but if you don't want to have your mind hosed it's still an entertaining movie, i.e. Being John Malkovich. Can anyone recommend me movies with any of these elements, particularly the first one?

I'd say Before Sunrise and Before Sunset pretty much fit the first two, though the first might be inverted -- cynical exterior (particularly for Jesse) masking a true romantic. My two favorite movies of all time, they are the quintessence of my experiences as a 20-something and 30-something; no other movies have felt nearly as real and authentic as those two.

cant wait to post!!
Nov 7, 2009

by T. Finn
Can anybody recommend some Ancient History movies? Anything from dramas like HBO's Rome to awesome epics like the Gladiator will do. Also, "recent" movies please. 90s+.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

cant wait to post!! posted:

Can anybody recommend some Ancient History movies? Anything from dramas like HBO's Rome to awesome epics like the Gladiator will do. Also, "recent" movies please. 90s+.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!
Anyone have some good spaceship movies with more flying around shooting crap than teaching alien women to love or preaching about the environment? (Star Wars/Star Trek are too easy, something I probably would have missed).

IceNiner
Jun 11, 2008
I'm looking for some of those lesser known type of road trip movies in which a group of folks, a family, or a couple breakdown or are forced to stop over in those weird not-quite-right type small towns with a hideous secret/conspiracy going on with the entirety of the townsfolk in on it. Along the lines of "Breakdown" with Kurt Russel or "Race with the Devil".

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

IceNiner posted:

I'm looking for some of those lesser known type of road trip movies in which a group of folks, a family, or a couple breakdown or are forced to stop over in those weird not-quite-right type small towns with a hideous secret/conspiracy going on with the entirety of the townsfolk in on it. Along the lines of "Breakdown" with Kurt Russel or "Race with the Devil".

You'll just love Manos the Hands of Fate. Don't even bother researching into the film, just buy it and watch it right away. You won't be disappointed. ;)

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Ganson posted:

Anyone have some good spaceship movies with more flying around shooting crap than teaching alien women to love or preaching about the environment? (Star Wars/Star Trek are too easy, something I probably would have missed).

The budget on those movies is going to be huge, so I highly doubt anything suggested will be things you haven't seen.

Starship Troopers
Serenity
Independence Day
The Last Starfighter
Battle for Terra
Flash Gordon

IceNiner
Jun 11, 2008

Macrame_God posted:

You'll just love Manos the Hands of Fate. Don't even bother researching into the film, just buy it and watch it right away. You won't be disappointed. ;)

I'm well acquainted with that fellow who watches the place while the Master is away, thank you. :razz:

edit: Now find me my movie! Fast, damnit, fast!

IceNiner fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 17, 2009

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I'm a big fan of gritty horror/action space movies. I really enjoyed the following:

Alien/Aliens/Alien3/Alien:Resurrection
Event Horizon
Sunshine
Serenity
Starship Troopers

Are there any other notable movies that are similar and enjoyable? I'm guessing I've already seen everything I'd like but if by chance I missed something great I'd love a recommendation.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

IceNiner posted:

How about Herschell Gordon Lewis' "Two Thousand Maniacs!"? I've always thought of it as the birth of survival-horror.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

MONDO MEDICALS posted:

I'm a big fan of gritty horror/action space movies. I really enjoyed the following:

Event Horizon
Sunshine
Serenity
Starship Troopers

Are there any other notable movies that are similar and enjoyable? I'm guessing I've already seen everything I'd like but if by chance I missed something great I'd love a recommendation.

Try Pandorum. It's fairly recent so probably isn't on DVD yet but having seen some of the films on your list, I'd put Pandorum in the same kind of area in Sci-Fi.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

MONDO MEDICALS posted:

Event Horizon
Sunshine
Serenity
Starship Troopers

Try Pitch Black. It fits the criteria very well + its good.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Ganson posted:

The Last Starfighter (though in all likelihood you've seen it already)

CinnamonToastFunk
Nov 11, 2008

"He is ill clothed that is bare of funk."
--Pimpjammin Funklin
What are some suicidally depressing movies, like Scenes from a Marriage?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

What are some suicidally depressing movies?

Any film by Lars von Trier

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

The Fountain always depresses the poo poo outta me. And Up actually made me tear up quite a bit. I don't know about suicidally depressing but it does punch you in the balls.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

El Norte
Shoah
I Stand Alone
Black Rain
(Imamura, not Scott)
Threads
Testament
When the Wind Blows
Grave of the Fireflies
The Human Condition trilogy
Sansho the Bailiff
Fires on the Plain
Kanal
Dodesukaden
Obaltan
Mouchette
Vidas Secas
Pelle the Conqueror
Ashani Sanket
Inheritance
This Sporting Life
Salaam Bombay

INTERACTIVE CD-ROM
Nov 18, 2005

Love?
Can anyone recommend any murder/mystery/"dark" movies set in Victorian times? I just read "From Hell" and thought the movie was semi-so-so but was digging the sets & costumes. Hmmm?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

NoSleepTillBedtime posted:

Can anyone recommend any murder/mystery/"dark" movies set in Victorian times? I just read "From Hell" and thought the movie was semi-so-so but was digging the sets & costumes. Hmmm?

You might like Gothic

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Not to be confused with Gothika

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

NoSleepTillBedtime posted:

I'd recommend The Illusionist or to a lesser extent The Prestige. I thought The Prestige was the better film, but The Illusionist really has some fantastic production value, and it's probably closer to what you're looking for.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

DiscoJ posted:

Try Pandorum.

Thanks, I checked it out and it was quite enjoyable. I'm not entirely sure whether or not it was a good movie at the end of the day but I found the story interesting and I'm glad I watched it :)

For the other person who suggested Pitch Black, I forgot to say that I'd already seen that so whoops. I wish this genre was more popular :sigh:

MonkeeKong
May 17, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father and Come and See. Enjoy.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

MONDO MEDICALS posted:

Event Horizon
Sunshine
Serenity
Starship Troopers

Give Enemy Mine a shot.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

'night Mother
They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

the posted:

Any film by Lars von Trier

Or Wong Kar Wai. Even his happy / playful movies have an undercurrent of bleak despair (Chungking Express). Happy Together is one of the most depressing movies I've seen, I think.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Any recommendations for dark or gritty movies with an unreliable narrator? Something along the lines of Memento, Identity, Jacob's Ladder, or The Usual Suspects. And preferably smaller films - if it's something well-known or by a big name director, odds are I've seen it.

Available on Netlix Streaming would be a bonus.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

regulargonzalez posted:

Any recommendations for dark or gritty movies with an unreliable narrator? Something along the lines of Memento, Identity, Jacob's Ladder, or The Usual Suspects. And preferably smaller films - if it's something well-known or by a big name director, odds are I've seen it.

Have you seen Repulsion? More of a big name director (Polanski), but also French and almost more horror. Brilliant, unsettling stuff, but you may have seen it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

ClydeUmney posted:

Have you seen Repulsion? More of a big name director (Polanski), but also French and almost more horror. Brilliant, unsettling stuff, but you may have seen it.

I've seen it, but that's a good recommendation and exactly what I'm looking for. (The Tenant is even better, see that if you haven't).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

I love all the films you named, so I'll throw out Lost Highway, Angel Heart, The Machinist, and Pi, even though you've probably seen them already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

ClydeUmney posted:

:eng101: Repulsion is a British production. Catherine Denevue is one of the only actual French things about it.

• Locked thread