Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Yodzilla posted:

Apparently it was a screwup by the record company, not something done intentionally which is why they're re-releasing it.

And they released it anyway knowing millions of people would buy it, and a (probably sizeable) subset of them would buy it again. Pretty genius if you ask me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

He was good, but he wasn't THAT great. It's low-key stoner rap. I've heard a rumour about Adam Lambert replacing him, which I think would be a much better fit due to his glam outlandishness.

I'd love to see Mika get the opening slot. He's also catchy, poppy, gay-friendly, and like Gaga, owes a stylistic debt in part to Queen.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Gay-friendly?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Ezzie posted:

Isn't it only 2 songs which are censored? So I guess just download the two uncensored songs or what have you.
Well, she only cusses in three songs on the album - Bad Romance, Monster, and Dance in the Dark - and all three are censored. They basically shipped out the Wal-Mart version to everyone and iTunes.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Well, she only cusses in three songs on the album - Bad Romance, Monster, and Dance in the Dark - and all three are censored. They basically shipped out the Wal-Mart version to everyone and iTunes.

Doesn't she swear in Speechless as well? Or did she only do it for the live version I saw? She said "all my hosed up friends" rather than "all my wrecked up friends."

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Count Choculitis posted:

Doesn't she swear in Speechless as well? Or did she only do it for the live version I saw? She said "all my hosed up friends" rather than "all my wrecked up friends."

She's changed the lyrics a bit for the live versions of Speechless. Instead of "is your punchline just a joke", she's changed it to "is your drunk line just a joke". She probably also decided that "hosed up friends" sounded better than "wrecked up friends".

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

The Cameo posted:

She's changed the lyrics a bit for the live versions of Speechless. Instead of "is your punchline just a joke", she's changed it to "is your drunk line just a joke". She probably also decided that "hosed up friends" sounded better than "wrecked up friends".
Which line did she say for the Queen?

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Crows Turn Off posted:

Which line did she say for the Queen?

Wreaked. Saw it in the video.

bennyfranks
Jun 23, 2005

IGNORE ME!

Reportedly, Dance in the Dark is about having sex with the lights off because women today are too ashamed of their bodies to be who they are while people can see who they are.

Pop music is totally an avenue for female empowerment and I will destroy anyone who disagrees with my power of self.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
well women should stop being such babies about stuff then
still waiting for tickets. stop loving me ticketmaster

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Furthering the gay Mexican agenda.

helsabot posted:

well women should stop being such babies about stuff then

...about what? Rampant sexism and heteronormative standards?

Ezzie
Apr 14, 2008

You are being shagged by a rare Parrot!
:parrot:

ArmoredBlue posted:

Crying at Titanic.
Getting the album for christmas from the family, further cementing that they think I'm gay. I want to listen to it now damnit.

SpecialAgentCooper
Sep 15, 2008

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Ugh I really don't want to have to resort to ticket scalpers but I missed the Boston show and the CT shows are pretty much all gone except for the pricey ones. Should I do it? I mean this is a big enough tour that it seems safe to assume she won't be coming back for a while

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

SpecialAgentCooper posted:

Ugh I really don't want to have to resort to ticket scalpers but I missed the Boston show and the CT shows are pretty much all gone except for the pricey ones. Should I do it? I mean this is a big enough tour that it seems safe to assume she won't be coming back for a while

It is worth it to do whatever you have to do to see this show. By far the most entertaining concert I've been to.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.

ArmoredBlue posted:

don't get me started
at least they're allowed to get married

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for

helsabot posted:

don't get me started
except to each other

rum sodomy the lash
Nov 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

helsabot posted:

don't get me started

Heh, women, am I right guys? :smug:

rum sodomy the lash fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 20, 2009

F.F. Woodycooks
Jul 24, 2006

San Diego show ended a few minutes ago. Absolutly amazing. The crowd was wilder than when I saw her in Boston and she was hilarious tonight

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!
I appreciate that nobody really listens to lyrics, but I have to think that it has some effect on people who listen to it ... and Lady GaGa's lyrical content is sickening. She basically advocates drinking until you have no idea what you're doing, treating your boyfriend (and all men) like poo poo, and behaving like an utter cock for your own selfish needs.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
I'll get you next time Gadget - next time!

Shakespearean Beef posted:

I appreciate that nobody really listens to lyrics, but I have to think that it has some effect on people who listen to it ... and Lady GaGa's lyrical content is sickening. She basically advocates drinking until you have no idea what you're doing, treating your boyfriend (and all men) like poo poo, and behaving like an utter cock for your own selfish needs.

1) Just Dance is such a parody. She's said in interviews she thinks its just a really funny song. If you think those lyrics are supposed to be serious or encourage that type of behavior, you're missing the point. You've never been trashed and forgot what you were doing? She's taking the piss out of those type of situations.

2) I don't know specifically where you get the treating men like poo poo thing, but look at every female pop star. Its about power and ego. All commercial pop music is. Jay-Z rhymes about disrespctin' hos, GaGa croons about lying to dudes for sex, Britney says everyone wants to "if you seek amy." Its about that ego and swagger. I highly doubt Jay-Z fucks 1,000s of bitches daily or that Britney gets much more action than a college student.

3) Once again, don't see the selfish part of her lyrics, but it goes back to the power thing. Rappers talk about social status and bling, its the same thing. Its putting on that powerful, in charge face and taking control of those connotations. People want their popstars to be larger than life badasses. If they weren't, why would they be interesting?

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!

Doctor Claw posted:

:parrot: Things

Dont worry man, it was a joke post. :) Lady Gaga is awesome and is a guilty pleasure of mine. I was one of those started out as "Ugh, more pop poo poo. This is kind of catchy, but shes weird as gently caress. Actually, shes pretty cool. Yeah, I like this."

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

DrSunshine posted:

Just read through this thread having looked at that amazing analytical essay at the beginning -- I'd like to mention my theory that Lady Gaga is one of the signs that we're living in a cyberpunk future. Everything about some of her videos, like Bad Romance, and her whole culture-hacking attitude just screams "Psycho-Sexual Techno-Cybernetic Future".

Seriously!

I haven't been keeping up with this thread lately but I'm pumped about reading your post because I just thought the same thing last night!

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
It is my theory that for someone who truly loves music, there is no such thing as a "guilty pleasure."

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
San Diego show was amazing. I got really drunk and almost got in a fight with this guy who was shoving people around and laughing. When I got in his face he claimed he "couldn't believe I was discriminating against a gay guy at a show like this". I lost it and started screaming about how that had nothing to do with it and how he was being a big jerkoff to everyone around him. When I was done he got all quiet and turned around and people started laughing. Best moment of the night for me. Fuckin' poser only sang along to Bad Romance and Poker Face, I saw that poo poo.

Semi Precious Weapons opened for her, they were a joke. I was earnestly disgusted. The singer was constantly fellating his mic and treating is as a phallus, and I swear to god their bass player wasn't even playing, he was constantly jumping and doing weird poses and kicks, his hands were nowhere near the strings. They obviously got their "break" opening for her because they're so "edgy" and "openly gay", but it was embarrassing to watch as a heterosexual male, and I'm not easily offended. I sang along loudly to every Lady Gaga song, for reference.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Advice posted:

Semi Precious Weapons opened for her, they were a joke.

This is truth. They were godawful. Was it just SPW and Gaga at the San Diego show? Is Kid Cudi already booted with no replacement?

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Yeah, in fact Ticketmaster called me two days prior and said Kid Cudi was off the tour and I could get a refund if I liked.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Advice posted:

Fuckin' poser only sang along to Bad Romance and Poker Face, I saw that poo poo.

This is my new favorite quote.

Also, my girlfriend actively despises Lady Gaga and has, on more than one occasion, confused her with Katy Perry.

Grounds for separation?

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.

Toaster Beef posted:

Grounds for separation?

Most certainly.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Toaster Beef posted:

This is my new favorite quote.

Also, my girlfriend actively despises Lady Gaga and has, on more than one occasion, confused her with Katy Perry.

Grounds for separation?

I think this is a sign and an opportunity for you to switch teams.

Lady Gaga would want it that way

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

You should paint a lightning bolt on her eye while she sleeps.

7lip fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 22, 2009

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

In the video for Bad Romance where she goes all make-up-less at around 2 mins in, she so reminds me of Natalie Imbruglia. It is loving HOT.

That song came on in the car home from work and I was literally screaming along to it. I love her music and my friend's agreed to come see her with me next year :3: Thank you, pop music of 2009, for giving me someone to love. It beats listening to the fecking X Factor flavour du jour anyway! Anyone going to see her in the UK this year?

Edit: When her dress thingy is burning in front of the bed she has a hell of an Amy Winehouse thing going. I can't decide whether to be excited about being excited about pop culture or whether I should feel slightly brainwashed.

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 22, 2009

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

p-p-p-p- courtney love shot me in the faaceee

http://juliasegal.tumblr.com/post/292777275

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

7lip posted:

Wow. Isolating the vocals and bumping up the pitch makes Cobain sound a lot like Chris Cornell with his nuts in a vice

sakana
Feb 9, 2003

What the fuck is up with all those chicken strips?

Toaster Beef posted:

Wow. Isolating the vocals and bumping up the pitch makes Cobain sound a lot like Chris Cornell with his nuts in a vice

Oh thank God I wasn't the only one thinking this.

I am very sad that I've been too poor to afford Gaga tickets. I've been trying to win tickets to see her via radio contests, but that's basically one in a million. Tomorrow night's the last night she plays in LA, and I'm not gonna be there.

I even finally found someone willing to go with me if I somehow managed tickets.

:smith:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

7lip posted:

This is strangely cool.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?

7lip posted:

True bastard pop. :)

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I'm going tonight to see her! Woop woop!

Closing night in LA, blow me away you bitch.

F.F. Woodycooks
Jul 24, 2006

My suggestion to people who see her: don't get all the way to the front. This is a show you want to be a little back from the stage so you can take in all the crazy poo poo goin on all the video screens. All I know is the visuals for LoveGame and The Fame tripped me the gently caress out.

Nova Bizzare
Jun 2, 2006

...and it made me smile.

sakana posted:

Oh thank God I wasn't the only one thinking this.

I am very sad that I've been too poor to afford Gaga tickets. I've been trying to win tickets to see her via radio contests, but that's basically one in a million. Tomorrow night's the last night she plays in LA, and I'm not gonna be there.

I even finally found someone willing to go with me if I somehow managed tickets.

:smith:

I am in the same boat. Some days it's really just soul-crushing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F.F. Woodycooks
Jul 24, 2006

Any GaGaGoons goons be at the New Orleans show? Will be my third time this month seeing Ms. Gaga and this time I got the VIP tickets with a pair of Heartbeats.

• Locked thread