Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

Erwin posted:

The picture shows them at like 75, not 110. It's just a waste of money and desk space.
I was responding more to the "side side" vs. "rear rear" thing, which I thought was a slightly different discussion. I would definitely classify that picture as all fronts and pretty pointless. I just also see wayyy too many HT setups where they've put the 5.1 surrounds in the position where the actual rear speakers would be in a 7.1 setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Soopafly posted:

Goddammit, I just got a new monitor / TV and now instead of studying for finals I'm taking pictures of it and reading this poo poo. Goddammit.

Is that the T240HD? Are you liking it so far? Is it good for gaming?

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

The gently caress? Eight Grand? Is this thing made out of gold?

Yea I agree, there are some pieces of design that are good and worth the money. THAT on the other hand is a piece of poo poo. For $8000 you could pay a master woodworker (or for industrial design a metal worker) to make a beautiful piece of art that would be more functional and eye catching than that piece of 1950s-style-legs and 80/20 inspired poo poo station.

ptier fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 18, 2009

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I'm sure it's some sort of feat of engineering, but for that price it should also be beautiful

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

Siroc posted:

Is that the T240HD? Are you liking it so far? Is it good for gaming?

I love it so far. For gaming, it's a step down from that 20" Apple IPS panel, but as far as other TN monitors I've used, the viewing angles are great and the color reproduction is pretty good after a little tweaking.

As for television, it's fantastic, and the absolute perfect size for a bedroom. I have it using dual monitors on the desktop via DVI, VGA into the laptop, and when I get my netbook (I've spent a lot of loving money lately) that will connect via HDMI.

The speakers are certainly a weak point, but I hardly expected anything from them anyway. For 260 bucks, you get a stellar monitor with a great TV tuner in it. I'm already starting to think about what a second one would be like....

tboneDX
Jan 27, 2009
Here's a few pictures of my desk (dining room table) this winter break. Somehow I don't think I'll be doing much more than computer stuff on this desk...

Sorry about the blurry iPhone photos, but that's the best I can do.
Monitor is an LG L246W, the speakers are some Energy's from the mid 80s, and the sticks are a Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 and a Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 Special Addition [sic].

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

ptier posted:

Yea I agree, there are some pieces of design that are good and worth the money. THAT on the other hand is a piece of poo poo. For $8000 you could pay a master woodworker (or for industrial design a metal worker) to make a beautiful piece of art that would be more functional and eye catching than that piece of 1950s-style-legs and 80/20 inspired poo poo station.

I do like the design. But I think it's hilarious they're charging that much, and selling it with broken glass.

todieat20
Sep 25, 2003
Hobos Protect Children From Horses

tboneDX posted:

Here's a few pictures of my desk (dining room table) this winter break. Somehow I don't think I'll be doing much more than computer stuff on this desk...

Sorry about the blurry iPhone photos, but that's the best I can do.
Monitor is an LG L246W, the speakers are some Energy's from the mid 80s, and the sticks are a Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 and a Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 Special Addition [sic].

How are those sticks working out for you? I've been thinking about getting one. Are they compatible with PS2 games from a PS3?

hydrixel
Oct 28, 2002

Everyday.

mediaphage posted:

I do like the design. But I think it's hilarious they're charging that much, and selling it with broken glass.

Yeah, that guy on eBay is steep especially with those broken edges. But if you really like something enough, you can track it down within a budget that won't break you. Haha, I didn't realize I'd offend the sensibilities of the IKEA praising masses by sharing my desk, I mean, poo poo station.

Also, that is a nice grip of gear, Retape.

Instant Stalker
Aug 8, 2002
JUST ADD RAPE

hydrixel posted:

Haha, I didn't realize I'd offend the sensibilities of the IKEA praising masses by sharing my desk, I mean, poo poo station.

goons don't let goons [make unnecessarily ridiculous purchases?]

Maybe everyone was actually trying to help, in their own goony way.

tboneDX
Jan 27, 2009

todieat20 posted:

How are those sticks working out for you? I've been thinking about getting one. Are they compatible with PS2 games from a PS3?

I don't think they're compatible with a PS2 directly, but I'm pretty sure I've heard that they work on a backwards compatible PS3 with both PS2 and PS1 games. Also, they work flawlessly on a PC in both Windows and Linux, so that's something.

I'd recommend the "Special Addition" as I like the buttons a lot more (easier to push) though that might just be a personal thing. Both are more suited for fighting games though, as it takes a bit of stick motion to register, so they don't work as well with bullet hell shooters or things of the sort, but they aren't unusable.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

hydrixel posted:

Yeah, that guy on eBay is steep especially with those broken edges. But if you really like something enough, you can track it down within a budget that won't break you. Haha, I didn't realize I'd offend the sensibilities of the IKEA praising masses by sharing my desk, I mean, poo poo station.

Yea I can understand, your eye catches something and it just sticks. And my aesthetics go toward minimalism , very simple shapes and as little cabling as possible.

GP035
Feb 15, 2005

It's Clutch Time!
Finally got my 27" i7 iMac in earlier this week. No problems yet *knock on wood*

z0rge Costanza
Jul 30, 2006

My posting...it's shit Jerry! Shit!
Nice wallscroll.

Ibook
Jul 13, 2005
OS X > Windows, seriously though.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2r7rkap.jpg (full size)

Much cleaner in this picture than it is now...to say the least.

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

paradigmm posted:

Do all of those wires need to be on the desk? I mean, are they too short to fall behind it or something?

If there's some rational explanation, then sure, but I don't understand how anyone could deal with that.

Instant Stalker
Aug 8, 2002
JUST ADD RAPE

paradigmm posted:

Is that a Samsonite table? Those are awesome and durable... and cheap. I just purchase two 4' versions of that to join my existing 6' table for a dual desk setup.

edit: nevermind, I see now that it's a foldable table. I thought about purchasing that but it's not as durable and .. I don't like big gaping canyons in the middle of my surfaces. Looks like that table is this one. How much did you pay for yours though? Yesterday I saw a similar one, except it was 5', in Academy for 40 bux.

Instant Stalker fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 20, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Instant Stalker posted:

Is that a Samsonite table?
Just looks like "generic banquet table #45428" to me.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

strwrsxprt posted:

Just looks like "generic banquet table #45428" to me.

Looks more like a 45438 to me :colbert:

Postal
Aug 9, 2003

Don't make me go postal!

paradigmm posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who has used that table as a desk. It worked pretty well, but it was a little wobbly at times.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

G Money posted:

Finally got my 27" i7 iMac in earlier this week. No problems yet *knock on wood*

What kind of pencil is that in the bottom right?

Instant Stalker
Aug 8, 2002
JUST ADD RAPE
Most Popular Featured Workspaces [on lifehacker] of 2009

Here's a sample for those neat freaks who don't live like poo poo:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Click here for the full 1024x687 image.

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

none of these are mine; see link

Instant Stalker fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 21, 2009

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!
thats yours? ive been drooling over those workspaces for the past few days.

Apps
Oct 3, 2009
What the hell is that Tweetie monitor thing?

Instant Stalker
Aug 8, 2002
JUST ADD RAPE
that's a usb powered mimo monitor

http://www.mimomonitors.com/

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Apps posted:

What the hell is that Tweetie monitor thing?

So glad I'm not so addicted to Twiter that I need to spend $200 to always have it a glance away.

Wait, I did that. It's called a Smartphone.

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

a usb monitor is a neat thing however

Apps
Oct 3, 2009

Derekman posted:

a usb monitor is a neat thing however
Not at that price/size.

Seriously what is the benefit?

Instant Stalker
Aug 8, 2002
JUST ADD RAPE
For a desktop, I can't see the benefit at that price. For a laptop though...

IBM thought it was a good idea to do this:

Not sure what kind of person would use that, but lets say they do exist. Now, you can do that with any of your laptops. I can see that mimo usb monitor being a slick addition to a netbook.

Instant Stalker fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 20, 2009

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

Apps posted:

Not at that price/size.

Seriously what is the benefit?

I agree, i wont be buying one. but the idea is cool

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Postal posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who has used that table as a desk. It worked pretty well, but it was a little wobbly at times.

Yea it's pretty great, I wouldn't stand on it though.

Instant Stalker posted:

Is that a Samsonite table? Those are awesome and durable... and cheap. I just purchase two 4' versions of that to join my existing 6' table for a dual desk setup.

edit: nevermind, I see now that it's a foldable table. I thought about purchasing that but it's not as durable and .. I don't like big gaping canyons in the middle of my surfaces. Looks like that table is this one. How much did you pay for yours though? Yesterday I saw a similar one, except it was 5', in Academy for 40 bux.

I got it at wal-mart a few years ago for like $30.
The folding action is awesome, I can hold it under one arm.

Centipeed posted:

Do all of those wires need to be on the desk? I mean, are they too short to fall behind it or something?

If there's some rational explanation, then sure, but I don't understand how anyone could deal with that.

There's so much space it just doesn't matter.
I swap computers out all the time, it takes like 30 seconds.
Screw climbing up all underneath the thing to swap some poo poo out.
I feel like I pretty much outdid everyone in the thread with my awesome setup.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah, when I see setups with amazing cable management with zipties and such I just think about what a nightmare it must be when you have to change something.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah, when I see setups with amazing cable management with zipties and such I just think about what a nightmare it must be when you have to change something.
It's a bitch. :(

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Instant Stalker posted:

For a desktop, I can't see the benefit at that price. For a laptop though...

IBM thought it was a good idea to do this:

Not sure what kind of person would use that, but lets say they do exist. Now, you can do that with any of your laptops. I can see that mimo usb monitor being a slick addition to a netbook.

It's actually Lenovo, not IBM. The W series includes a wacom tablet next to the touchpad, so it might be good for photoshop and its palettes

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

I seriously love my desk. I just wish it had a drawer or something.

Edit: I should do something about that piece of cat-5 coming down from the bookshelf, that's tacky.

Instant Stalker
Aug 8, 2002
JUST ADD RAPE
What is that fluffy brown sack thing at the top right of the picture?

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Cat bed. Before I put it there, they would sleep in front of my monitors and randomly knock poo poo over all the time. That's the server monitor, so I rarely need to do much with it and don't care that the cats are in front of it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My desk is one of the ones listed in that Lifehacker round up but I doubt it's going to win given that my desk does not reside in the middle of the forest. If you wanted to vote for it, though, it's the 8th option in the ballot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I'm not voting, but this one was my personal fav