Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Xanin posted:

I didn't buy any of it through itunes, it's from my existing collection. I've tried to authorise the computer but that doesn't do anything.

This is how I had to get my ipods working when I bought a new machine. You have an iTunes account all set up regardless if you've bought anything, right? I would make sure that is signed in and try it again. Also there may be an option on the ipod itself somewhere when you select it to tie it to the iTunes as well. It's been a year since I got this machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Philthy posted:

This is how I had to get my ipods working when I bought a new machine. You have an iTunes account all set up regardless if you've bought anything, right? I would make sure that is signed in and try it again. Also there may be an option on the ipod itself somewhere when you select it to tie it to the iTunes as well. It's been a year since I got this machine.

OK thanks, I'll have a play around with it when I get home. I do have an iTunes account, but it doesn't seem to like me. I wish I could use something other than iTunes :(

The Store
May 2, 2009

IM+ has Skype chat yet I might have to get IM+ for Skype just to get calls.

Beejive doesn't even have Skype support (yet; it's p2p versus client side for most IM services according to support, they're working on it) but everyone says it's better.

I could buy Beejive and combine it with another (free?) app that supports Skype chat/calls with push notifications.

Which one should I get?

ChronoBasher
Jul 2, 2007
How often do you you fellow Touch owners have this conversation:

Me: :rolleyes:
Person: :v:

:v: When did you get and iPhone/How do you like your iPhone?!
:rolleyes: It's not an iPhone, it's just a Touch.
:v: *blank stare*
:rolleyes: An iPod Touch? It's like the iPhone, but without the phone.
:v: That looks like an iPhone, not a iPod!

:ughh:

Edit: I can understand why people are confused, but I get this CONSTANTLY. It's just annoying.

ChronoBasher fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 20, 2009

Difference Engine
Mar 30, 2009
Is there any company that makes a usb wall adapter like this apple one(http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB352LL/B) thats not so expensive, yet still about that small? That one is $30 which is ridiculous for a power adapter, but all the other ones I have seen are a lot bigger. They have them for less than $10 on amazon, but apparently they are all sketchy ones that got recalled/blow up your ipod.

If I have to ill pay the 30 cause I really like the small size of that adapter.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Difference Engine posted:

If I have to ill pay the 30 cause I really like the small size of that adapter.
I grabbed the link to this adapter from one of the other iPod threads, this might be what you're looking for :)

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Difference Engine posted:

They have them for less than $10 on amazon, but apparently they are all sketchy ones that got recalled/blow up your ipod.

They're generally fine. If one specifically says "this blows up" don't buy it, but you should be fine.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Well, I got an iPod Touch today and I find that it's firmware 3.1.1. Is there a good resource for jailbreaking this firmware, because iPodtouchfans seems to focus on the 1.x firmwares in their FAQs.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nickoten posted:

Well, I got an iPod Touch today and I find that it's firmware 3.1.1. Is there a good resource for jailbreaking this firmware, because iPodtouchfans seems to focus on the 1.x firmwares in their FAQs.

All you need is this http://blackra1n.com/

Just plug in your touch, run blackrain, and you are jailbroken.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Oh poo poo, the iPod touch fans site tells me 8GB iPod 3Gs at 3.1 cannot be jailbroken right now. gently caress!

Edit: I keep looking at loving old information like an idiot. So apparently it will be tethered but I "won't lost any data." Does this mean if I install emulators and what not to it, and have to re-jailbreak it, I'll still have all those apps installed? Why would I need to re-jailbreak it then?

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 20, 2009

ChronoBasher
Jul 2, 2007
The tethered jailbreak means if you turn your iPod off, then when you turn it back on you will get the Plug->iTunes screen, and you wont be able to use your iPod until you:

-Re-jail break
or
-Restore through iTunes

Re-jail breaking brings your iPod back with all your apps. Restoring, from what I understand brings back your iPod, but without any of the jailbreak software and without your music? I'm a bit hazy on the iTunes restore since I never do it.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I've got a touch 3GS, I just don't turn it off. When they say you need to 're jailbreak', that's not quite it. All you have to do is run blackra1n again. It doesn't install blackra1n on your touch again, nothing is changed on your touch at all. Just keep it charged and there's no reason to turn it off, battery usage is very low in standby with wifi off.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

ChronoBasher posted:

Edit: I can understand why people are confused, but I get this CONSTANTLY. It's just annoying.

This happens a lot. I usually just pull out my phone to show them that I don't own two cell phones.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Can anyone recommend a good free avi to mp4 converter for Windows? I had one a while ago but lost it when my hard drive failed, and I can't remember what it's called. I've tried google but they are either trials or poo poo. The one I'm using now gave me a really low resolution and poo poo sound, and also introduced strange frames into the film I was watching, so that occaisionally I'd see a photo of a grinning retard.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
Handbrake is a pretty good converter, and has presets for iPods.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

ChronoBasher posted:

This happens quite a bit. I show them the back cover of my touch and then they realize it's an iPod touch.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Super Dude posted:

This happens a lot. I usually just pull out my phone to show them that I don't own two cell phones.

I had something similar happen, people at work ask to borrow my iPhone cable. It's just the generic term for iPod products now, I think. Also, it's not like Apple markets the Touch name nearly as much as the iPhone. I'd say the ranking of importance is probably:

1) iPhone
2) Nano
Distant 3rd) Touch
4th) Shuffle, if this still exists.
5) Classic

ChronoBasher
Jul 2, 2007

Xanin posted:

Can anyone recommend a good free avi to mp4 converter for Windows? I had one a while ago but lost it when my hard drive failed, and I can't remember what it's called. I've tried google but they are either trials or poo poo. The one I'm using now gave me a really low resolution and poo poo sound, and also introduced strange frames into the film I was watching, so that occaisionally I'd see a photo of a grinning retard.

I can 2nd Handbrake, it's incredibly easy, free and awesome.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

Xanin posted:

RipBot264 is pretty good, too, if Handbrake doesn't offer enough options/flexibility.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

WeaselWeaz posted:

I had something similar happen, people at work ask to borrow my iPhone cable. It's just the generic term for iPod products now, I think. Also, it's not like Apple markets the Touch name nearly as much as the iPhone. I'd say the ranking of importance is probably:

1) iPhone
2) Nano
Distant 3rd) Touch
4th) Shuffle, if this still exists.
5) Classic

Actually, since I write about Apple news, I should say that the Touch is very important to the company. It sells like hotcakes, and its main purpose is to get people who won't pay for a phone plan to use the App Store. There wouldn't even be a web browser on the Touch if it hadn't been needed for mobile iTunes.

The Classic is definitely at the bottom of the list though. It's almost guaranteed that Apple will introduce a 128GB Touch this year, and when it does, you can probably kiss the Classic goodbye. I'll be very surprised if the company launches something like a 250GB Classic.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Nihiliste posted:

Actually, since I write about Apple news, I should say that the Touch is very important to the company.

Good for you. I hang out with normal people, and I should say when they think iPod's they think of the iPhone or Nano. When I say I have a Touch they go "oh, yeah" and remember it exists. I don't disagree that the Touch sells, but I think people walk in planning to get an iPod, expecting to get a Nano, and then having to be told about the Touch.

I think the Classic can always have a spot if Apple wants it to. It's the barebones option, lots of storage in a less sexy but cheaper package.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Nihiliste posted:

It's almost guaranteed that Apple will introduce a 128GB Touch this year, and when it does, you can probably kiss the Classic goodbye.

They better get moving!

Kin Corn Karn
Mar 9, 2008

got tired of not being able to listen to my touch with my nice set of cans, since even on full blast the ipod cant get em up to a moderate volume level.

decided to try out a tube headphone amp. i'm not a discriminating audiophile with money to burn, so i got something pretty inexpensive. hopefully it will sound alright.

$45 ebay special

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

Kin Corn Karn posted:

got tired of not being able to listen to my touch with my nice set of cans, since even on full blast the ipod cant get em up to a moderate volume level.

decided to try out a tube headphone amp. i'm not a discriminating audiophile with money to burn, so i got something pretty inexpensive. hopefully it will sound alright.

$45 ebay special

...It doesn't even have a customizable EQ...I think a non tube amp would probably have done well. I was sortof interested in getting the FiiO E5 amp, tiny and a design ripoff of the clip style ipod shuffle, so it wouldn't be in the way. Surprise, surprise though, the touch actually puts out a bit more power than my old player and I don't need it with my current earphones.

Kin Corn Karn
Mar 9, 2008

Ninja Toast! posted:

...It doesn't even have a customizable EQ...I think a non tube amp would probably have done well. I was sortof interested in getting the FiiO E5 amp, tiny and a design ripoff of the clip style ipod shuffle, so it wouldn't be in the way. Surprise, surprise though, the touch actually puts out a bit more power than my old player and I don't need it with my current earphones.

The more simple a circuit is, the better it sounds, which is why even most of the really pricey tube headphone amps don't have EQ pots either.

My 3G touch is loud as hell through my $15 headphones, but through my studio monitors its really weaky and tinny sounding.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

Kin Corn Karn posted:

The more simple a circuit is, the better it sounds, which is why even most of the really pricey tube headphone amps don't have EQ pots either.

My 3G touch is loud as hell through my $15 headphones, but through my studio monitors its really weaky and tinny sounding.

Ah, sorry, I meant the touch not the amp. I'm sure the amp is quite lovely, I just thought going tube for it was a bit overkill since its not really like, audiophile quality gear.

Like i said though, I am pleased it's louder than my last one, I had to max out volume on my good headphones to get to a good level, 75% does it on the touch.

Filburt Shellbach
Nov 6, 2007

Apni tackat say tujay aaj mitta juu gaa!

WeaselWeaz posted:

it's not like Apple markets the Touch name nearly as much as the iPhone

Taken a few weeks ago at a very high-traffic Boston subway station:

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Super Dude posted:

They better get moving!

I must have been thinking in Apple terms. You know what I mean!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Having just received an iPod Touch for Christmas, I have one question(as of now). What does everyone recommend for the best recording program for the iPod Touch? Along with the Touch I was gifted a little microphone that plugs into the headphone port, and I merely browsed some of the recording apps. Is one better than the other? Do the recording apps for the iPhone work for the Touch? Any help is much appreciated!

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Having just received an iPod Touch for Christmas, I have one question(as of now). What does everyone recommend for the best recording program for the iPod Touch? Along with the Touch I was gifted a little microphone that plugs into the headphone port, and I merely browsed some of the recording apps. Is one better than the other? Do the recording apps for the iPhone work for the Touch? Any help is much appreciated!

Not sure what you're recording, but FiRe (iTunes link) is probably the best all-around recording app (it's not cheap though, $10). If you're planning on recording music or something, FourTrack is worth a look.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Dunno if this is the best place to ask this - I don't have an iPod myself, but I got my mom a Touch for Christmas. She loves it, but shes wondering what the best kind of iHome is. Or whatever you call it, one of those things that you dock your iPod into and it plays through a speaker system. It doesn't have to have any fancy features, just something you plug an iPod into and it makes music. No real preference for Apple-made or 3rd party. What is the best quality I can get for a lowish price? $130 is the absolute highest price I can pay but I'd prefer to get something more inexpensive if that's possible.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 26, 2009

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

toxick posted:

Not sure what you're recording, but FiRe (iTunes link) is probably the best all-around recording app (it's not cheap though, $10). If you're planning on recording music or something, FourTrack is worth a look.

Would you mind explaining the differences between the two apps, if you're able to? I'm going to be using the app for recording some lectures and if at all possible, recording some jazz gigs that I play at. Is FiRe better for the latter of the two, or is it good for lectures too?

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Would you mind explaining the differences between the two apps, if you're able to? I'm going to be using the app for recording some lectures and if at all possible, recording some jazz gigs that I play at. Is FiRe better for the latter of the two, or is it good for lectures too?

FiRe's good for recording just about anything. FourTrack's really meant for what the name implies: recording your band with a virtual four track recorder.

If you primarily want an app for recording lectures and whatnot, it might be worth giving Voxie a look, since it's a pretty nice app and only $2. It could definitely record live music gigs, too.

Really, it all depends on the quality of the mic you have. What mic will you be using?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I just bought my 8gig Touch today and I'm having the same problems my brother did with his touch. Whenever I touch a app to open, it opens up for about a half second the closes. Am I missing something here?

edit: Its only the downloaded apps

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Blitz7x posted:

I just bought my 8gig Touch today and I'm having the same problems my brother did with his touch. Whenever I touch a app to open, it opens up for about a half second the closes. Am I missing something here?

This is typically a problem with the app not supporting the firmware you are using. Are you on firmware 3.1? If not that is probably the reason.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

toxick posted:

FiRe's good for recording just about anything. FourTrack's really meant for what the name implies: recording your band with a virtual four track recorder.

If you primarily want an app for recording lectures and whatnot, it might be worth giving Voxie a look, since it's a pretty nice app and only $2. It could definitely record live music gigs, too.

Really, it all depends on the quality of the mic you have. What mic will you be using?

Similar to this - is there an app, Jailbroken or otherwise, which will let me record the output of the iPod while listening to it? I have a few synths and poo poo, and it'd be nice to record them on the go - if I'm bored on the train and want to make music or whatnot

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

Right so I've managed to break my 32 gig touch that I've owned for less than a day because I am a retard. Ran blackrain, but for whatever reason decided to go ahead and do the hard reset thing (the holding down the two buttons thing mentioned in the OP) a couple of minutes later (after blackrain installed fine and everything) and now my touch refuses to Restore. When I start iTunes it prompts me that my iPod is in Recovery mode and I need to restore, and I do. Everything runs fine (Extracting software, verifying restore with apple) up until I get to the step "Preparing to restore" my touch screen displays the Apple logo and a little progress bar but nothing ever loads and it eventually iTunes spits out an unknown error at me, 1611. Finally, the screen reverts back to the picture of the USB cable with an arrow pointing to the iTunes logo.

Is it pretty hosed? I purchased it from Best Buy and got a warranty package through them, should I try and return it? (Probably without mentioned the bit about blackrain?)

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

Amphigory posted:

Similar to this - is there an app, Jailbroken or otherwise, which will let me record the output of the iPod while listening to it? I have a few synths and poo poo, and it'd be nice to record them on the go - if I'm bored on the train and want to make music or whatnot

What synth apps are you using? Noise.io has the option to record your output to WAVs, and NLog Synth will have the same when the next update arrives. IMHO, these are the two best synth apps available for iPhone OS.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

Blitz7x posted:

If not that restart/reset it. Some of my apps do that on occasion, and I know the weather channel app refused to work if i told it it couldnt use location services to determine where i was. I let it figure it out and turned them back off afterward and it was cool again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams

Beowulf LaGrange posted:

Is it pretty hosed? I purchased it from Best Buy and got a warranty package through them, should I try and return it? (Probably without mentioned the bit about blackrain?)

I googled itunes 1611 and this was the first hit: http://www.hackint0sh.org/f127/45850.htm

Disregard the first post about the battery that would be suicide but there are other possible fixes in there. Also there were a lot of good leads on the first results page. I find google to be a pretty good search engine.

• Locked thread