Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

flatluigi posted:

Huh. What's your screen resolution?

Whatever default is for the program. 800x600? Not sure.

It's a small complaint, although it can be a bit visually jarring and visuals are the reason you play this game. You can tell that someone designed small animations (like levers and buttons) as an overlay that is supposed to be meshed with the background so just the overlay needs to be animated. In my case the overlay is a couple pixels off up or down, making it pretty apparent.

It's not going to get in the way of me playing it or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Magnificent Quiver posted:

Zero, there's no point.
Eh, figured. I kinda miss the lovely hand-drawn graphics of Heroes 2, though.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Overwined posted:

Whatever default is for the program. 800x600? Not sure.

It's a small complaint, although it can be a bit visually jarring and visuals are the reason you play this game. You can tell that someone designed small animations (like levers and buttons) as an overlay that is supposed to be meshed with the background so just the overlay needs to be animated. In my case the overlay is a couple pixels off up or down, making it pretty apparent.

It's not going to get in the way of me playing it or anything.
Are you using Vista or Windows 7? If so, you can try right clicking the exe file, choose Properties, go to the Compatibility tab, and choosing "Disable visual themes". That usually fixes errors where some things are drawn shifted up or down.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

No matter what I do I can't get Riven to save on Vista 32. :(

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

sethsez posted:

More than likely a UAC issue. I just turned mine off and all those stupid persistent UAC problems just melted away.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

SereneCrimson posted:

Yes! I was really wanting to try Tex Murphy, Getting it for free is awesome.

and GOG is even nicer, if you already bought Tex Murphy previously, you can Apply for an alternate gift.
Anyone who already had Tex Murphy might want to sign up for that, and tell us all what you get (I'm guessing it might just be a free game coupon)

Will do.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

sethsez posted:

Right-click on the shortcut and select "Run as administrator." Don't turn UAC off unless you want anything that manages to run on your machine to do whatever it wants, as well as a bunch of Windows features to silently and mysteriously break.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Running as an admin doesn't fix it, and neither do any of the compatibility modes.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

sethsez posted:

Running as an admin doesn't fix it, and neither do any of the compatibility modes.
Is it installed in the "Program Files" folder? I recall UAC having issues with that in Vista. Install it in a separate "Games" folder or so.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
They have a holiday sale going on now. Seems 25-40% off every game except the ones released in december.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Charlie Mopps posted:

They have a holiday sale going on now. Seems 25-40% off every game except the ones released in december.

Holy poo poo! Guess getting the Gothic games is as good of time as any.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Charlie Mopps posted:

Incredible! Made me finally buy the three Pro Pinball games :)

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Oh hell. I could get like them all but I honestly don't know where to start. I'm almost ready to buy The Longest Journey for the third time: already have it as retail and on Steam. But there's like a million crazy deals for $3.60 which is practically free. And then again I should save for the Steam sale. :downs:

edit: Actually I think I can prevent myself from buying anything. There's nothing I really want right now.

Zat fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 21, 2009

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
So it's pretty weird, I just used a ECA coupon and my total is more than the normal not on sale price... all the other numbers are correct though.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I kinda thought they might do something like this. With their catalog, an 11th hour fire sale makes sense, given that they are competing with other services offering more recent, AAA titles. The spare change that folks have left to spend on themselves or that one gamer they know can't help but be spent now.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

I kinda thought they might do something like this. With their catalog, an 11th hour fire sale makes sense, given that they are competing with other services offering more recent, AAA titles. The spare change that folks have left to spend on themselves or that one gamer they know can't help but be spent now.

I know. poo poo if I stopped buying my afternoon cup of coffee out for maybe 3 weeks I could buy the whole drat catalog.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Charlie Mopps posted:

OP updated!

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 22, 2009

SatelliteCore
Oct 16, 2008

needa get dat cake up

I was looking at this site yesterday and was so close to buying 2-3 games but decided against it.

Today I bought (for $46):
Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition
Cannon Fodder
BloodRayne
Advent Rising
Stronghold Crusader
Stronghold
Die by the Sword + Expansion
Descent 3 + Expansion
Jagged Alliance 2
Freespace 2

yesssssss

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Pro Pinball: Fantastic Journey
Pro Pinball: Big Race USA
Pro Pinball: Timeshock
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Sacrifice
Fallout
Fallout 2
Freespace 2

Can't argue with that. And hell, I might get another batch of games before this thing is over.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Just bought Commandos 2+3 for not a whole lotta money. I remember hearing that Commandos 3 wasn't very good, but I had a lot of fun with the number 2 in the past so whatevs.

shao kong
Nov 6, 2002
Now this is what I'm talking about. Time to drop some dollar bills.

Jidouhanbaiki
Jul 31, 2006
Automatic Vending Machine
I can't get any windows based apps to run on my vista laptop (which are Shogo and Descent 3). Both start up in the task manager, sit there for a while, and then disappear. GOG support has no answer. Anyone else get anything like this? :|

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
My god, I love that these things are being offered, but when will you possibly have time to play all of these games? I can't even finish the ones I have.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Farquar posted:

My god, I love that these things are being offered, but when will you possibly have time to play all of these games? I can't even finish the ones I have.

The digital distribution mindset is generally 'I've always semi-sorta wanted to play this game; I'll buy it now at this fantastic price and eventually get around to playing it.' You should see the Steam accounts some people have.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I saw that GOG sold Myst for Windows. Does anyone know where I can still get a legal copy of it for the Mac?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Goddamn this thread. At first I was "well, there's nothing there I want anyway, but I guess it can't hurt to take a look..."

5 minutes later: "Your shopping cart: $48.30" Fffffffffffffff

And I even own 5 of the games already, but GoG windows optimization... :(

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
You guys can at least take solace in the fact that you're really helping out a relatively new digital distribution store that was the first to have the guts to do a lot of things right: permanent low prices, no-DRM, TONS of extras, and modern OS optimization. :)

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

BigRed0427 posted:

I saw that GOG sold Myst for Windows. Does anyone know where I can still get a legal copy of it for the Mac?

Given its age and my (admittedly limited) experience trying to get older Mac programs to work in the modern OSes with classic mode and the like, you'd probably be better off using the GOG version and Boot Camp or something. Just sayin'.

Unless you already have a system in place for such things in which case just disregard this post

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Is the site down for the rest of you? I needed to re-download Riven but I guess I'm outta luck right now.

edit: Back again.

Zat fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 22, 2009

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I just signed up to the site earlier today, and it was fine...

Now I can't hit it.

When it's back up, go vote for Knights of Legend as a wish list game. There hasn't been a game like that, and I've always wanted to try it out again.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
The holiday sale is amazing, but I can't put anything into my cart without it reporting higher prices! Argh!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Free games:

http://www.gog.com/en/search/sort/price/000

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

AxeManiac posted:

The holiday sale is amazing, but I can't put anything into my cart without it reporting higher prices! Argh!

You'll get the correct price at checkout, but you've probably figured that out already.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Last night I snagged Painkiller finally along with MegaRace 1 & 2, Arx Fatalis, and Die By The Sword.

Between Steam and GOG, I've spent so much on games, I had to call Capital One at 4AM today because they flagged my card for fraud protection. This is why I'm telling family and friends not to buy me anything; I'm covered.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
My debit card doesn't like Poland all of a sudden, and I'm having trouble getting ahold of my bank, any wanna gift me ~$12 worth of games and I'll Paypal you back in a few days when my bank account verifies? Contact me through Steam(https://www.steamcommunity.com/id/PenquinDude) or e-mail(PastmancerMaster@gmail.com).

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

GreenNight posted:

Free games:

http://www.gog.com/en/search/sort/price/000

On top of that, Beneath a Steel Sky is also 40% off!!! Get it while you can! :woop:

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

FLX posted:

On top of that, Beneath a Steel Sky is also 40% off!!! Get it while you can! :woop:

40% off of free! That's... almost a time and a half as free as it was before! :downs:

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy
Tex Murphy 1 and 2 for FREE? I love GOG. :D :fh:

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Nthman posted:

Tex Murphy 1 and 2 for FREE? I love GOG. :D :fh:

That's free until tomorrow, the other games has been free since forever now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Whelp, I just expanded my collection with 8 games for about 31 bucks thanks to the holiday sale. Including some classics that despite being mainly a PC gamer I've somehow never played, like Fallout 1 and 2 (don't hit me). Got a couple I owned before, whose disks are lost to the aeons of time. I'd only gotten a couple games through this site before, but it's pretty sweet.

Madrox fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 25, 2009