Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Apologies for the double post, but I've been naughty.

I went to the store to buy a strap for Gibby.

I walked out with a strap, 5 picks...

And one of these.

http://www.redwitchanalogpedals.com/MoonPhaser.aspx

That link demos the pedal very accurately. It's perfect for all the Floydy\PT\Tool-ish spacey sorta stuff. It makes the whole room loving hum and glow and shift. It's brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Yoozer posted:

Another happy customer. Sounds tiiiiight, love it far more than what I've heard from Zebra.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of Zebra but I love this thing. It's got a dirtier, more aggressive feel to it that I'm a big fan of. I also happen to prefer the interface, but that's really neither here nor there. The built in chorus is fantastic, too.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Carbohydrates posted:

I don't know what you guys are talking about, fat necks own. My R8 has a 58 profile neck, which is even larger than their standard round/fat profile. The bigger the better!

All my guitarist friends used to bitch about how thick the Gibson necks were, and so when I went to get a new guitar, I basically avoided them. Then I just decided, "You know, I'm here playing all sorts of different guitars, and many of my rock heroes play these, let's just try it."

So I don't know if maybe it's just a preference thing, or people don't know what they're missing, but I play guitar -way- better on a thicker neck. I definitely prefer it.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

gingivitis the wart posted:

Look what came in the mail yesterday (pictures are from the guy who sold it to me since I don't have a decent camera)

Why its a PRS Custom 24 in Emerald Green 10 Top. I was long overdue for a guitar upgrade and this one is fabulous. I'm going to stop typing and get back to playing it now.

How do you resist the overwhelming desire to have sexual intercourse with that fine instrument?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Hammer Floyd posted:

Apologies for the double post, but I've been naughty.

I went to the store to buy a strap for Gibby.

I walked out with a strap, 5 picks...

And one of these.

http://www.redwitchanalogpedals.com/MoonPhaser.aspx

That link demos the pedal very accurately. It's perfect for all the Floydy\PT\Tool-ish spacey sorta stuff. It makes the whole room loving hum and glow and shift. It's brilliant.

I've got one of these and it's pretty much my favorite pedal on my board. Awesome choice.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I was walking around town to buy christmas presents for my family but decided to stop in at the oldest music store in town. Hey, why are you guys half-empty?! Oh your boss hasn't been paying taxes? You aren't getting paid for Christmas? You just found this out half an hour ago? Does that mean you'll sell me anything I want for below cost? Well don't mind me as I rape your face! :hellyeah:

and

(sorry for the stock photos, but same thing)

$60 total, listed at $350 (but they'd been sitting there for years and the price was a little high even then.) I wasn't able to get anything else because he thinks they're gonna save the most expensive poo poo for when their boss returns from his surprise trip to Ontario in early January... If he comes back. Then I might pick up a Roland GI-20 for $50 and either keep it as a backup to my Axon or dump it on eBay for $500. Also they lost their Fender/Gibson contracts a few years ago so I wasn't interested in their remaining stock of five or six LTD/Schecter goth metal guitars. I also cleaned out their selection of CTS volume and tone pots while I was thinking about it.

If that MIDI pedal does what I bought that Rocktron All Access MIDI pedal for last year then I'll list the Rocktron on eBay for $600 and make some cool cash to go towards some software upgrades. :c00l:

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

hamaien posted:

I've got one of these and it's pretty much my favorite pedal on my board. Awesome choice.

Yeah, well I went home and learnt how to play Run Like Hell

(For reference, but if you dont know it, SHAME ON YOU: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySO-gryuO-c)

I've been grinning from ear to ear. Easily one of my favourite pedals now.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

AstroZamboni posted:

How do you resist the overwhelming desire to have sexual intercourse with that fine instrument?

I too, would love nothing more than to insert my penis into that inanimate yet exquisite piece of wood. But alas, the PRS lacks an acceptable orifice to insert said penis. I had considered going the hollow-body route, but by engaging in such an act I would risk permanent damage to the instrument. In the end, I went with the Ibanez JEM (with monkey grip handle) as it offered the best combination of looks, tone, and penetrability.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
So I've been considering a new multieffects pedal for Christmas and stumbled across the Vox Tonelab ST.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-ToneLab-ST-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Pedal?sku=150617

Click here for the full 700x459 image.

Does anyone have any experience or comments about it? Or in a similar vein, does anyone know of some decent/better pedals in the $100-$200 range?

Rotten Punk
Nov 11, 2009

Probably going to pick this up with my first paycheck after christmas. Most likely pretty poor quality considering the price, but I've always wanted to try my hand at violin.

That and I'm sort of a collector of instruments. I've got a trumpet sitting across the room from me that I cant play worth a drat but hey, I've got a trumpet if I ever need one. :downs:

http://www.amazon.com/Full-Size-Violin-Case-Green/dp/B0007KPI28/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1261481988&sr=1-16

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

I just picked up this bad boy for Xmas:

(My hosting)

Setting it up for C tuning, with 12s for strings. The smaller scale has made an amazing difference with the strain on my hands.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Still going to be a few weeks since they have to build some more pickups... But I have one reserved for me.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Still going to be a few weeks since they have to build some more pickups... But I have one reserved for me.

That's awesome. I really like the hollowbody as well as the Decade. What are the pickups like?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Narwhale posted:

That's awesome. I really like the hollowbody as well as the Decade. What are the pickups like?

I've yet to get my hands on a Lakland w/ the Chi-Sonics in real life, but the best I can describe what I've heard from clips is that it's very mellow and vintage in the low end, but crisp and clear with a little modern bite on the high end.

Hollowbody clips:
http://www.lakland.com/ac_hollowbody.htm

In single-coil mode:
http://www.lakland.com/ac_hollowbody-tapped.htm

The pickups have a wider range in the single-coil mode, but just sound a little thinner than in the humbucking mode.

The "Jazz" and "Motown" clips are the best to listen to imo, have the most bass-centric parts.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 22, 2009

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009
This is my most recent addition:

It's a Memphis Mustang copy. Yet another Craigslist buy for just $125. I haven't been able to find much info on this particular brand but it looks like it was a front for Yamaha to sell copies of popular guitars in the late 70s through the mid-80s at which point Gibson sued them and they closed shop.

I would say this guitar, while being old, is probably only worth about what I paid for it. The previous owner did put in a new Seymour Dyncan pickup in the bridge position so that's a plus. Otherwise, the body is plywood and some of the frets are a little hammered. Not a great guitar build-wise but it does sound good.

amishbuttermaster fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 22, 2009

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Went to the local used place to get some strings and got this:

Stock photo, but this guy is mint anyways. what an impulse buy...but I think it might replace my sparkle drive as my low gain OD.

man it sounds so good...

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Nice... It's a great pedal to add a little bit of sizzle and life to a clean guitar. Neck pickup on a Strat -> LTD -> Fender-ish amp makes for an amazing sound.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

bisticles posted:

Nice... It's a great pedal to add a little bit of sizzle and life to a clean guitar. Neck pickup on a Strat -> LTD -> Fender-ish amp makes for an amazing sound.

yeah, I played it on a nice fender american, through a vintage deluxe reverb in the store. and it was heavenly. I think my mesa f-50 will do it justice, not as much as that deluxe reverb, but it will get close...

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

junyatwin posted:

Setting it up for C tuning, with 12s for strings. The smaller scale has made an amazing difference with the strain on my hands.

How come everybody here plays such light strings? I play 11s or 12s in standard, if I was to drop 2 tones I'd probly go for like 15s or so
That is a really cute SG, tho :3: They usually look p lovely with the big guard but this ones cool

Also, does anyone know anything about the Electra EP-501 ? It's some kind of sampling delay from the company that went poo poo and turned into Crate, but from what little I could find about them before the auction ended, they made some decent stuff back in the 80s. I have yet to find anything else out about. Kinda sucks cuz I also :synpa: at an old Boss DE-200 and that at least had the inputs on the front... Looks like I'll need to get a rack and a patchbay sometime soon :razz:

fake edit -- also holy crap just checked the auction pic of the back panel, its got cv and gate in! pre-MIDI and hell yes, modular synthesis
I love it when my stupid carelessness gets me into untrouble :xd:

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

How come everybody here plays such light strings? I play 11s or 12s in standard, if I was to drop 2 tones I'd probly go for like 15s or so
That is a really cute SG, tho :3: They usually look p lovely with the big guard but this ones cool

Well, in my defense, I've been having problems with my joints and muscles. So, the light strings, and the lower string tension, was my wife's way of allowing me to continue to play. I'm not complaining.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
Hey, if it works for you that's great! I was just ribbing all the sissies without excuses :-P

When I had to switch to lefthanded playing because of an old sports injury acting up I kept the same gauge of strings with ease. I'm sure if you have joint problems heavy strings could be too much but I dont get why folks without use them. Try heavier strings, yall! Youll love the tone [insert Mens Wearhouse slogan here]

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLi-RNOzmMQ

There's a video of me playing my new Les Paul into my new Moon Phaser pedal. The Phaser hasn't really come out in the clip thanks to lovely mic, but eh, it'll do.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The world needs more black guitars with gold metal detail and trim, and my apartment needs at least one of those guitars. Goddamn, it's up there with Kurzweil purple and Clavia Nord red.

Nelsocracy
Nov 25, 2004
Indubitably!

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

When I had to switch to lefthanded playing because of an old sports injury acting up I kept the same gauge of strings with ease. I'm sure if you have joint problems heavy strings could be too much but I dont get why folks without use them. Try heavier strings, yall! Youll love the tone [insert Mens Wearhouse slogan here]

Agreed. I play with 12s on my Les Paul, and am currently building a hollowbody which will have 13s. Whenever I play a strat or tele in a music store strung up with 9s it feels more like a toy than an instrument.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

junyatwin posted:

I just picked up this bad boy for Xmas:

(My hosting)

That's a sweet looking axe, if it's anything like the Epiphone SG I've got, you'll really enjoy it. :)

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
13.3" Apple MacBook
Core 2 Duo T7200 processor 2.0GHz
2GB ram
120gb HD
FW-400 :q:

:hellyeah:

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Nelsocracy posted:

Agreed. I play with 12s on my Les Paul, and am currently building a hollowbody which will have 13s. Whenever I play a strat or tele in a music store strung up with 9s it feels more like a toy than an instrument.
Oh god 9s feel so dirty. They cut into my fingertips more sharply and sound lovely and break easily and ugh. Personally I use a custom 12-56 set and tune down to C so I know I could definitely go a lot heavier but I like the lower tension. That's one of the things that led to me eventually downtuning for most of my stuff. I can't stand light strings and heavier ones feel so much better to me, but I don't like the tension to get too high because then I feel like I'm fighting the strings. So I go heavy and tune down.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Report back what you think of those. I think Rondo Music is selling Violins now for ~$80 as well, I'd love to hear what anyone has to say about them. Amazon reviews are usually poor at best.

trans fat
Jul 29, 2007

Well Hadlock you could ask your Rancho del Durazno buddy 3transfat about it.

Don't pay $80 for a violin.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
+

Christmas owns.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

I found out a guy nearby is selling this:

Laboga Studio Reverb, a 50W tube head with two channels and whatnot. Does anyone have any experience of these? And is 450€ a reasonable price? TIA

Ninja edit: Already messaged him about wanting to try it out.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

and

for my daughter's musical education (and in the meantime, for me :v:

and

for my DX7.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Yoozer posted:

for my DX7.

Let me know if that's worth anything. I've been eying a Behringer pedal for a while and I don't want to throw fifty bucks to the wind.

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?

squidgee posted:

Christmas owns.

You're gonna love that lil guy. I'm giving one as a gift since I like mine so much.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax
Picked this baby up the other day:

She's a 2005 Epiphone Les Paul Ultra that I picked up for $100. One of the regulars at the record store I frequent has fallen on hard times and had to sell her. When he told me how much he was hoping to get I jumped at the opportunity. I told myself I would not buy anymore guitars for a while but I just had to jump on this. A LP Ultra from MF goes for $600 new so that is one helluva deal.

When I got her she did not have any strings and just needed a quick setup and she was good to go.

The Good: she is well set up, all the frets are in good condition with no real buzz and the action is ridiculously low.

The Bad: She does have some cosmetic wear and tear on the hardware. Looks like the guy would sweat a bit. It also needs a new nut the old one is pretty worn down.

The Ugly: She is a semi-hollow/chambered which means that when she was dropped on her strap button it made a pretty nasty wound. He had it fixed by a professional luthier however it's obvious where the damage was. It's all cosmetic now but it completely ruined the resale value for most stores which is why I got it for so cheap.

I really like the guitar even if it's not really me. She sounds good but it's just a bit too gaudy for my taste. I'm not much of a LP guy and gold hardware does not do it for me.

I can't decide if I want to try to sell, trade or mod her. I only have Fender styles anymore so it would be nice to have something Gibson-esque. However, it's a bit too gaudy for my taste. If I mod her I will replace all the gold hardware with chrome and throw in a set of GFS Mean 90s (I've got a bridge one lying around just need to get one for the neck.)

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Yeah, that is some gaudy flame. I much prefer plain to figured maple, but maybe you can dress up in a shiny suit and rock it ?

Also, dammit, I really need to get a rack for all these delays :xd:

This ones got no voltage control OR midi but its got an fx loop for the feedback and a pitchshifting function :3:

BobMcFartsens
Dec 31, 2005

Sitting on a park bench

Mmmmm merry Christmas. Excited to go to my jam space and try this out.

Click here for the full 590x700 image.

Raze
Aug 13, 2005

I'M GOING HOME.
Xmas is indeed great. As well as my mother, who got me this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Guitar Rig Session. Musician's Friend has it on sale for $129 w/free shipping:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Native-Instruments-GUITAR-RIG-Session-FULL?sku=703278

The box in the pic above says Guitar Rig 3 XE, but the description on the site says it comes with Guitar Rig 4 Essential. Either way I'll probably spend the extra $100 or so later on and get the full Guitar Rig 4 package. I went with this as I want to use it more as a practicing tool (and for goofing around of course :haw:), later on I'll look for a decent USB floor control unit (like NI's Kontrol or similar).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KimJongSick
Nov 6, 2008

Carbohydrates posted:

Gibsons are really fatally flawed in that regard. They have something like a 4.5 degree heel and a 13 degree headstock, which makes the tip of the headstock lower than the back of the guitar when laid flat. If the guitar manages to fall backwards, odds are in favor of that headstock snapping right at the base of the headstock.

Gonna nitpick and correct you by saying that it's a 17 degree angle on that headstock. And the way my SG's headstock broke was by falling on the nut. Gibson headstocks are basically a gloriously overblown waste of good mahogany.

And that's just the standard 3x3 config. When you get into Explorer or Firebird territory, that's when things just get ridiculous. Same problems as all other Gibson headstocks, but the fucker is even LONGER, and therefore considerably more likely to snap. You ever wonder why you never see Explorers or Firebirds onstage unless it's Billy Gibbons playing the thing? That's why. Only those rich old bastards are able to afford to replace the drat things.