Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knerd
May 19, 2008

Grandpa fucking spaceshuttle!
I'm looking for a book of short stories I read about a year ago and would love to get my girlfriend for Christmas.

The story I remember most involves a boy with keys for fingers, and through different stages in his life he uses the keys to open different doors, I think.

I believe there was another story involving a family of people with tea kettles or irons for heads maybe, and one with a human man being kept as a pet.

All of the stories were odd, but quite good and I have been going nuts searching various combinations of words on Google with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: The author was female, and the cover of the book was red, I think.

Knerd fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 17, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plagiarism
Dec 11, 2009
Alright, here we go. A friend of mine was reading a bunch of pulp short stories and one of them was about this (space?) ship that found a pig-like creature. They take it on board and it's super intelligent, but the crew is starving and they prepare to eat it. The pig I thiiiink takes over the mind of the captain and it is the captain (who made the decision to eat the pig) whose mind is transplanted into the pig and eaten. Ring any bells?

edit; It may have been a short story in "The Black Lizard Big Book of Pulps"

Plagiarism fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 17, 2009

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Plagiarism posted:

Alright, here we go. A friend of mine was reading a bunch of pulp short stories and one of them was about this (space?) ship that found a pig-like creature. They take it on board and it's super intelligent, but the crew is starving and they prepare to eat it. The pig I thiiiink takes over the mind of the captain and it is the captain (who made the decision to eat the pig) whose mind is transplanted into the pig and eaten. Ring any bells?

edit; It may have been a short story in "The Black Lizard Big Book of Pulps"

This sounds like a slight miss-remembering of Phil K. Dick's "Beyond Lies the Wub".

Plagiarism
Dec 11, 2009

Hobnob posted:

This sounds like a slight miss-remembering of Phil K. Dick's "Beyond Lies the Wub".

That is TOTALLY it.

I vaguely remember the plot line so yeah, odds are that I fudged a bit of it...

Forgot to say thanks, so thank you!

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Knerd posted:

I'm looking for a book of short stories I read about a year ago and would love to get my girlfriend for Christmas.

The story I remember most involves a boy with keys for fingers, and through different stages in his life he uses the keys to open different doors, I think.

I believe there was another story involving a family of people with tea kettles or irons for heads maybe, and one with a human man being kept as a pet.

All of the stories were odd, but quite good and I have been going nuts searching various combinations of words on Google with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: The author was female, and the cover of the book was red, I think.

Willful creatures?

Not sure but I can't imagine there are too many similar short stories.

Knerd
May 19, 2008

Grandpa fucking spaceshuttle!

farraday posted:

Willful creatures?

Not sure but I can't imagine there are too many similar short stories.

This is it! Thank you so much, I was going crazy.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Just remember the other day the details of a old Children book I saw when at elementary school. It was about a school that for some reason had each of it's classroom built on top of each other, forming a giant tower of a school, and that the place was cursed and I believe some teacher gets turned into a apple and eaten.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

Just remember the other day the details of a old Children book I saw when at elementary school. It was about a school that for some reason had each of it's classroom built on top of each other, forming a giant tower of a school, and that the place was cursed and I believe some teacher gets turned into a apple and eaten.

Sideways Stories from Wayside School? 30 floors, one room per floor, and no 19th floor.

Larch Tote
Mar 10, 2007

...in the world.
Lurker with a question:

I remember reading about a book written by a travel writer or general adventurer-type who'd gone on a jungle boat trip. (I want to say that the Amazon was involved, but I can't be certain.) The writer claimed to have eaten human flesh, and I believe the article I read was debunking that claim, or at least pointing out reasons to doubt its validity.

I'd say it was written sometime in the last 5-10 years. If this has come up in the thread already, I apologize. One of the professors I work with wants to do up a course on cannibalism in literature, and when I mentioned my vague memories of this book, he seemed interested. My search has thus far gotten me nowhere. If anyone has any clue whatsoever, Id really appreciate it. Thanks!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Can't remember much of this, I think it was a 19th century epic poem about travel or a long journey of some kind that I was reading online a while ago and have since lost the title/URL of. Pretty sure it was originally in English (could be wrong) and set around Europe/the Mediterranean.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Can't remember much of this, I think it was a 19th century epic poem about travel or a long journey of some kind that I was reading online a while ago and have since lost the title/URL of. Pretty sure it was originally in English (could be wrong) and set around Europe/the Mediterranean.

Er...this isn't a lot to go on, but as a WAG, how about The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, by Samuel Taylor Coleridge?

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Wikipedia has a list of some epic poems organized by when they were written:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_poetry#Modern_epics_.28from_1500.29

Maybe that would help?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

When I was a teenager I read a fantasy novel that was about vikings in Ireland. I don't remember anything about it except that I liked it when I was like 13 and it had a part where a bunch of people on two different boats were talking smack and mooning each other and stuff.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Bit of a shot in the dark..

The Deepest Sea by Barnitz?

The Extrapolator
Dec 14, 2006

Now what the fuck are some of these god damn questions?
f

The Extrapolator fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 30, 2016

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

I can't seem to find any trace of this book online, so maybe you goons can help me.

I was reading Wikipedia one day and came across the description of a book in which everyone on the planet's consciousness jumped back in time 10 years. However, instead of being able to change events, like in a traditional time loop story, everyone is forced to relive the same events that had happened. The book deals with the fallout of the entire human population having essentially relived their last 10 years on autopilot, and the shock of being in control again.

It seems like it'd be an interesting, if slightly strange, read. Any help?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Larch Tote posted:

Lurker with a question:

I remember reading about a book written by a travel writer or general adventurer-type who'd gone on a jungle boat trip. (I want to say that the Amazon was involved, but I can't be certain.) The writer claimed to have eaten human flesh, and I believe the article I read was debunking that claim, or at least pointing out reasons to doubt its validity.

I'd say it was written sometime in the last 5-10 years. If this has come up in the thread already, I apologize. One of the professors I work with wants to do up a course on cannibalism in literature, and when I mentioned my vague memories of this book, he seemed interested. My search has thus far gotten me nowhere. If anyone has any clue whatsoever, Id really appreciate it. Thanks!
This was a hard one to find, but I once read this too. You're probably thinking of Tobias Schneebaum and the book resulted in this documentary. I can't find the exact article anymore but when it came out, it made a splash.

So hey, anybody remember this?

Adar posted:

I keep remembering a bad fantasy novel I read about a dozen years ago and never found again; it's been driving me crazy. The overall plot was something about the characters being trapped in a town full of undead. The final scene had them running up a giant pyramid of skulls while fighting the undead so that the sunlight would save them faster. It worked and they left town, so it was probably part of a series.

Anybody?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Saeka posted:

I was reading Wikipedia one day and came across the description of a book in which everyone on the planet's consciousness jumped back in time 10 years. However, instead of being able to change events, like in a traditional time loop story, everyone is forced to relive the same events that had happened. The book deals with the fallout of the entire human population having essentially relived their last 10 years on autopilot, and the shock of being in control again.
Timequake by Kurt Vonnegut.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Adar posted:

I keep remembering a bad fantasy novel I read about a dozen years ago and never found again; it's been driving me crazy. The overall plot was something about the characters being trapped in a town full of undead. The final scene had them running up a giant pyramid of skulls while fighting the undead so that the sunlight would save them faster. It worked and they left town, so it was probably part of a series.

Anybody?

How sure are you on your details? It sounds similar to the ending of one of the Diablo books (The Kingdom of Shadows) but the details are backwards.

Larch Tote
Mar 10, 2007

...in the world.

Adar posted:

This was a hard one to find, but I once read this too. You're probably thinking of Tobias Schneebaum and the book resulted in this documentary. I can't find the exact article anymore but when it came out, it made a splash.

Well I'll be damned. Thanks a million!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Action Jacktion posted:

Timequake by Kurt Vonnegut.

Dammit, finally one I can get and I get beaten like a red-headed stepchild.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

farraday posted:

How sure are you on your details? It sounds similar to the ending of one of the Diablo books (The Kingdom of Shadows) but the details are backwards.
Just checked - definitely not it. I'm sure there was a pyramid of skulls at the end. I can also remember something about one of the characters being a flame monk. I read a ton of terrible fantasy when I was younger...

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

I am embarrassed to admit the phrase fire monk may have given me the necessary clue.

The Lightbringer series by Oliver Johnson?

farraday fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 25, 2009

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Yep, pretty sure that's it...

...haven't re-read it yet but I'm pretty sure we both had terrible taste in books :(

GodsGiftToWomen
Jan 26, 2004
Providing women with sexual pleasure since 1983
Gun Saliva
Wanted to post in the current Ask/Tell thread about evil domes:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3243957

I read this book in a middle school classroom ~1997.

Humanity destroys itself and aliens protect the remaining humans in domes scattered around the world from the atomic fallout. Some domes have more resources than others and goods are transported through a hive network (possibly floating in the sky for all to see). I remember one character in the book that might not have had arms or legs and one of the main exports of her dome/bubble/colony were pictures that she drew with her mouth--very tiny pictures, possibly stamp sized.

The aliens provide helpful hints and messages like "discard the apples that you harvested from the tree because they are radioactive". When the humans disobey they have a way of making all the humans fall asleep so that they can protect the silly humans from killing themselves off.

I vaguely remember the main character and a male love interest going into the hive and fighting aliens, having sex, and getting pregnant. The aliens may or may not have wanted to kill her unborn child.

GodsGiftToWomen fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 28, 2009

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
This one is for a friend: it's something from the 80s-90s, a fantasy that takes place in a future world, the main character is part of a family of nobles, his weapon is a hilt that cuts into the hand and activates some sort of blood sword, and it's part of a series. Also, it was probably a young adult title.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

timeandtide posted:

This one is for a friend: it's something from the 80s-90s, a fantasy that takes place in a future world, the main character is part of a family of nobles, his weapon is a hilt that cuts into the hand and activates some sort of blood sword, and it's part of a series. Also, it was probably a young adult title.

This is probably the Star of the Guardians series by Margaret Weis. First book is called The Lost King.

EDIT: Like all Margaret Weis books, the farther you get from 13 years old, the less good the book is.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

This is probably the Star of the Guardians series by Margaret Weis. First book is called The Lost King.

EDIT: Like all Margaret Weis books, the farther you get from 13 years old, the less good the book is.

I dunno, Rose of the Prophet is still loving good, and I don't recall thinking it was amazing when I first read it.

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001
I need the title of a fairly recent book...something that came out within the past 10 years, probably in the range of 2002-2005.

It was a book where mankind discovers the earth has an underworld that resembles hell with creatures that are basically demons living in it, and the real world consequences of contacting this new intelligent species (trade, diplomacy, military, etc).

What's it called? It was a bestseller I'm pretty sure.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

GodsGiftToWomen posted:

Wanted to post in the current Ask/Tell thread about evil domes:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3243957

I read this book in a middle school classroom ~1997.

Humanity destroys itself and aliens protect the remaining humans in domes scattered around the world from the atomic fallout. Some domes have more resources than others and goods are transported through a hive network (possibly floating in the sky for all to see). I remember one character in the book that might not have had arms or legs and one of the main exports of her dome/bubble/colony were pictures that she drew with her mouth--very tiny pictures, possibly stamp sized.

The aliens provide helpful hints and messages like "discard the apples that you harvested from the tree because they are radioactive". When the humans disobey they have a way of making all the humans fall asleep so that they can protect the silly humans from killing themselves off.

I vaguely remember the main character and a male love interest going into the hive and fighting aliens, having sex, and getting pregnant. The aliens may or may not have wanted to kill her unborn child.

The only thing I could find close to this is Manhattan Transfer by John E. Stith. Aliens take whole cities and plop them into domes, with Manhattan being the one that's focused on in the book. I couldn't find a lot of details to see if it's the same story you are talking about, but it seemed similar.

YouDummy
Jun 24, 2005

Back in school the mid 70s, I remember reading a book about a man on what I remember as a whaling ship. The ship became frozen in ice, and he had to stay there until the spring. Somehow, he wound up alone on the ship. I seem to remember wolves or polar bears were always trying to get onto the ship? I also seem to remember he carried what little food he had in a biscuit tin. Any ideas?

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

YouDummy posted:

Back in school the mid 70s, I remember reading a book about a man on what I remember as a whaling ship. The ship became frozen in ice, and he had to stay there until the spring. Somehow, he wound up alone on the ship. I seem to remember wolves or polar bears were always trying to get onto the ship? I also seem to remember he carried what little food he had in a biscuit tin. Any ideas?

I'm goign to start looking at older stuff, but first let me make sure it isn't The journal of Brian Doyle

It doesn't match entirely but it keeps interrupting my searches.

Anyways, while you say that isn't it, do you recall if your book was a novel or a true story and also what age range it was for. There are an awful lot of accounts of ships trapped in the ice.

The Remote Viewer posted:

I need the title of a fairly recent book...something that came out within the past 10 years, probably in the range of 2002-2005.

It was a book where mankind discovers the earth has an underworld that resembles hell with creatures that are basically demons living in it, and the real world consequences of contacting this new intelligent species (trade, diplomacy, military, etc).

What's it called? It was a bestseller I'm pretty sure.

The Descent By Jeff Long?

farraday fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 3, 2010

zyang31
Oct 26, 2007
This novel is about a high school/college student who is the anonymous author of a popular novel series. I think in the novel one of the heroines was killed and that he's supposed to be writing another novel detailing her killer.

He has writer's block for some reason and he ends up meeting some crazy girl. At the end, the guy reveals his identity to his school to a subdued applause and that's all I remember about it.

zyang31 fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 3, 2010

mania
Sep 9, 2004

zyang31 posted:

This novel is about a high school/college student who is the anonymous author of a popular novel series. I think in the novel one of the heroines was killed and that he's supposed to be writing another novel detailing her killer.

He has writer's block for some reason and he ends up meeting some crazy girl. At the end, the guy reveals his identity to his school to a subdued applause and that's all I remember about it.

Is it Master of Murder? There's also sequels in the short stories collections - Tales of Terror.

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

farraday posted:

The Descent By Jeff Long?

That's it, thank you very much!

zyang31
Oct 26, 2007

mania posted:

Is it Master of Murder? There's also sequels in the short stories collections - Tales of Terror.

Yes it is.

YouDummy
Jun 24, 2005

farraday posted:

I'm goign to start looking at older stuff, but first let me make sure it isn't The journal of Brian Doyle

It doesn't match entirely but it keeps interrupting my searches.

Anyways, while you say that isn't it, do you recall if your book was a novel or a true story and also what age range it was for. There are an awful lot of accounts of ships trapped in the ice.

I don't think that's the one, unless there were earlier additions of that book. I read this back in the 70s.

Fake edit: Nope, can't be that one. His bio says he wrote his first book in 1978. I entered high school in 1979, and I read this book in grade school.

Real edit: I don't recall if it was a true story or not, or even if it was in the form of a journal or what have you. I seem to recall he gained access to the ice through a hole in the side of the ship. Sorry I'm not much help, as I only have vague recollections of the book myself.

YouDummy fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 3, 2010

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

No problems, you remember what you can remember.

Taking a shot, how about The Iceberg Hermit original printing 1974.

YouDummy
Jun 24, 2005

farraday posted:

No problems, you remember what you can remember.

Taking a shot, how about The Iceberg Hermit original printing 1974.

The description sounds really close. It's on Google Books, so I will definitely check it out. Thanks!

Edit: As soon as I saw the vintage cover on Amazon - Bingo! Thanks again!

YouDummy fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veril
Aug 28, 2004
I'm not sure this is enough to go on, but..

Scifi novel, main character is some kind of mercenary or warrior. He gets kicked out or leaves his home, and has some sort of special glowing object. He wanders around in the snow, makes camp there, and some bird spies on him. Eventually, he reaches a spaceport and gets hired by a merchant. The main mercenary isn't very used to technology at all. The merchant gives him a debit card, and they go shopping in some weapon shop - I remember the main character bought a lot of coiled wire. No idea what happens for the last 2/3rds of the novel.