Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
The biggest mystery to me in the industry will be Vinces pointless cheapness during the Invasion - He had to start things off with the 2nd tier of WCW because why, Nash.Hogan.Sting were happy getting paid to sit at home? He didn't get Goldberg until way later either. If he had given out a few million dollars to lure out some huge names at the start, it would have truly been the most epic event in industry history. Considering he was coming off the hottest era in his companies history and he was walking around with a giant erection over finally becoming a billionaire, it was even more perplexing and short sighted. Someone should do the math on how much that has cost him in the long run.

AND, capitalizing the V is loving weird and I wont do it until someone gives me a great justification for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Supreme Allah posted:

The biggest mystery to me in the industry will be Vinces pointless cheapness during the Invasion - He had to start things off with the 2nd tier of WCW because why, Nash.Hogan.Sting were happy getting paid to sit at home? He didn't get Goldberg until way later either. If he had given out a few million dollars to lure out some huge names at the start, it would have truly been the most epic event in industry history. Considering he was coming off the hottest era in his companies history and he was walking around with a giant erection over finally becoming a billionaire, it was even more perplexing and short sighted. Someone should do the math on how much that has cost him in the long run.

AND, capitalizing the V is loving weird and I wont do it until someone gives me a great justification for it
All the graphics hyped up that red "V", and the InVasion PPV actually had a "V"-shaped entrance ramp (WWF guys came out one side and Alliance guys came out the other). It's kind of an odd detail to hone in on and promote, but there it was.

And yeah, it really is frustrating to see how many big names were left out of the Invasion angle, only to show up within the next couple of years anyway. Scott Steiner, Goldberg, the freaking nWo, hell even Mysterio would have given a much more immense scope to the whole thing. Instead they just turned WWF guys heel to play the roles of the main WCW heavies, and that just made the whole thing feel inauthentic.

nyratk1
Jul 24, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Supreme Allah posted:

The V is for Vince, all hail Vince

icechris
Aug 26, 2008

Nothing is hotter than a chick who could kill you with her bare hands

Supreme Allah posted:

WWF "V" WCW?

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Supreme Allah posted:

I don't know if Nash/Hogan/Goldberg would have been willing to give up the free money they were getting from Time Warner, but it doesn't really matter. Once their contracts were up, it was pretty much a guarantee that they would join up with WWF anyway. They could have easily slow-burned the invasion angle. Every few months WCW could have brought in a new secret weapon. Ric Flair, Goldberg, the NWO, Bischoff. Each of these could be played up as "this is what WCW needs to win the war once and for all!" Add in a few turns that actually make sense, like Jericho jumping to WCW or Hogan jumping to WWF, and this could have gone on for literally a year, and maybe longer.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well obviously Vince couldn't afford to shell out a few extra million considering the huge amount of money he paid for WCW! :laugh:

I do wonder though if there was a concern about legitimate resentment in the WWF lockerroom if a bunch of (mostly older) guys who had basically raped another promotion into oblivion got paid out a huge amount of money to come into theirs as "brand new" top draws.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Lance storms shoot goes into this, his 2nd one. He said basically there was alot of animosity, due to the fact the mid level WWE guys who were on ppv's were all of a sudden bumped off because well you needed to showcase these WCW stars for the invasion. Plus the fact alot of them acted like dick. He told a few good Bagwell stories. Including one about him getting his mom to call WWE headquarters demanding he get a limo for every event because DDP and Big Show pulled up to an event in one, which they paid for. But DDP made some comment that set him off as he apparently thought he was a big star!

Anyway the point is get the lance storm shoot right now!

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

nyratk1 posted:

The V is for Vince, all hail Vince

I thought it was a "V for Victory" kind of thing.

nyratk1
Jul 24, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

PunkBoy posted:

I thought it was a "V for Victory" kind of thing.

Victory, Vince, same thing :smug:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Well obviously Vince couldn't afford to shell out a few extra million considering the huge amount of money he paid for WCW! :laugh:

I do wonder though if there was a concern about legitimate resentment in the WWF lockerroom if a bunch of (mostly older) guys who had basically raped another promotion into oblivion got paid out a huge amount of money to come into theirs as "brand new" top draws.

I liked how Death of WCW termed it.

Basically, yes, there were worries that such a thing would piss off the locker room. But you have to think about big picture. You bring the big guys in, and everyone is rolling in dough, because the WWF big guys vs. the WCW big guys is what people wanted to see. Remember WM18?

As it was, Vince didn't do it and...he eventually brought them in with big salaries, pissed off the locker room in the process, and nobody made any extra money because WWE was off a cliff at that point, in great part because of this bullshit.

The entire thing just existed to stroke Vince's ego, even though it made no sense since he already won and owned the goddamn company, so all he was doing was devaluing his property.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

LividLiquid posted:

It was. It just wasn't the first appearance of WCW on WWE television. Lance storm did a run-in on some nothing match, did a missile drop kick and ran the gently caress off.

He makes kind of a big deal about it on his website sometimes when it comes up. He was the last guy out of the building at the last WCW event and the first guy to fire a shot in the inVasion.

This kinda makes him sound like dick....until you realize that Lance Storm is loving awesome, not just as a wrestler, but he also has a great head for the business and is actually a really funny guy (whenever he's on F4D or BnV).

I hope BnV called him for the Christmas Show this year.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"The Consortium.... WAS ME!" was a good relaunch post-Invasion I thought, but it was slapping a bandaid on the hull.

When did the others come in? I'm trying to keep in mind the timeline:

WCW folds, Shane announces he is competing with his Dad.
Wrestlemania 17 (hooray!)
Bagwell/Booker T abortion.
WCW midcard invades.
ECW takes it to the extreme/Heyman announces the Alliance/Stephanie shows up.
Vince asks for the old Austin to return.
Austin comes back and kicks some rear end.
Austin turns on WWF.
Invasion PPV - Angle fakes out a betrayal and "saves" the WWF.
Vince declares himself the victor, Ric Flair returns (hooray!)
Vince "injects" poison by bringing back Hogan, Hall and Nash.
Jericho wins Undisputed Title.
nWo prevent Austin winning Undisputed Title.
Austin takes on nWo, starts feuding with Hall.
Hogan feuding with Rock.
Kevin Nash getting paid, can't believe his luck.
Triple H returns
Scott Steiner shows up at Rumble briefly?
Triple H wins Rumble.
Roughly a year later.... Goldberg shows up?

Is that right?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

"The Consortium.... WAS ME!" was a good relaunch post-Invasion I thought, but it was slapping a bandaid on the hull.

WCW midcard invades.
Austin turns on WWF.
Hogan feuding with Rock.
Triple H returns
Triple H wins Rumble.

Is that right?

InVasion was the one where the Alliance won and Austin first defected, Angle "saved" WWF at Survivor Series.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I thought the Alliance "won" Invasion, and was thus allowed to continue their war, and it was Survivor Series where the WWF finally won.

EDIT: Beat'd

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Right, that sounds right, I always get confused by that period, there were so many turns and shifts in alliance etc.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I recalled Survivor Series because it had a pretty awesome promo video with the extended version of "The End." And I seem to recall Invasion had a pretty cool promo as well.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

We should really dedicate a thread to how bad the invasion was done.

PunkBoy posted:

I recalled Survivor Series because it had a pretty awesome promo video with the extended version of "The End." And I seem to recall Invasion had a pretty cool promo as well.

That PPV was one of my favorite ones the WWF has ever put on. I'd kill for it on DVD.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Flair also presented that amazing "history of the WWF" video after Vince decided to bring the nWo in. WWF's monkeys in the truck getting access to the WCW Library was a wonderful thing.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

WCW midcard invades.
Austin turns on WWF.
Hogan feuding with Rock.
Triple H returns
Triple H wins Rumble.

Is that right?

Jericho won the Undisputed title in December and the nWo was brought back in late January or early February of the next year.

Also, Steiner debuted at the Survivor Series in 2002.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Jericho won the Undisputed title in December and the nWo was brought back in late January or early February of the next year.

Also, Steiner debuted at the Survivor Series in 2002.

I could have sworn he came out at a Madison Square Garden Royal Rumble. He didn't have a match, just came out and beat up Matt Hardy and Christopher Nowinksi from memory. Maybe it was Survivor Series, but I was sure it was the Rumble.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I could have sworn he came out at a Madison Square Garden Royal Rumble. He didn't have a match, just came out and beat up Matt Hardy and Christopher Nowinksi from memory. Maybe it was Survivor Series, but I was sure it was the Rumble.

It couldn't have been the Rumble. He had THAT match with HHH at the Rumble. It must have been Survivor Series.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

It couldn't have been the Rumble. He had THAT match with HHH at the Rumble. It must have been Survivor Series.

That makes sense, or else it would have been a year between his debut and his title shot.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Jerusalem posted:

It was at Madison Square Garden, but the show was Survivor Series.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Well, I'd like to shed light on some of these topics, but just before WM17 was when I took a hiatus from wrestling. I think a thread about this stuff would be a good idea, and it would probably help fill me in on stuff I missed (and better answer my original question)

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

Jerusalem posted:

WCW midcard invades.
Austin turns on WWF.
Hogan feuding with Rock.
Triple H returns
Triple H wins Rumble.

Is that right?
Also: Christian turning on Edge and becoming a "WCW defector" and Mick Foley coming back for "one night only" or some poo poo and booking Angle vs Austin vs RVD for the WWF belt, forcing RVD to choose between being loyal to the Alliance or going for championship glory.
IIRC Regal & Tajiri had a similar break-up to E&C and Test may have been another traitor.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

IIRC Regal & Tajiri had a similar break-up to E&C...

Regal turned heel by costing Angle the title in a match against Austin on Raw. He tried to get Tajiri to turn with him, but he stayed true to the WWF.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

The Goog posted:

Regal turned heel by costing Angle the title in a match against Austin on Raw. He tried to get Tajiri to turn with him, but he stayed true to the WWF.

It also gave us the new theme for Regal which was the first generation of what we have today.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

Also: Christian turning on Edge and becoming a "WCW defector" and Mick Foley coming back for "one night only" or some poo poo and booking Angle vs Austin vs RVD for the WWF belt, forcing RVD to choose between being loyal to the Alliance or going for championship glory.
IIRC Regal & Tajiri had a similar break-up to E&C and Test may have been another traitor.

That reminds me, Austin's severe paranoia over RVD having equal or greater crowd support than him was a loving fantastic little element of the Invasion and I was always confused as hell why we didn't get Austin vs RVD out of it. Then again, I also loved the "Tazz doesn't understand how to kiss up to Austin properly," bit.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Jerusalem posted:

Austin turns heel.
WCW midcard invades.
Invasion PPV - Austin fakes an injury and betrays the WWF. 7-22-01
Months of back and forth between WWF and Alliance culminating with a Winner-Take-All match at Survivor Series 2001.
At Survivor Series, Angle, who had defected to Alliance, is revealed to be a double agent for WWF and costs Alliance the match. 11-18-01
The next night, Flair is revealed as co-owner of WWF as he bought Shane and Stephanie's stock.
Jericho wins Undisputed Championship at Vengeance. 12-9-01
Triple H returns from injury in early 2002.
Vince has a mental breakdown while staring into a mirror and says he will kill WWF with a lethal dose of poison.
nWo returns at No Way Out 02., costing Austin the title against Jericho 02-17-02
Hogan feuding with Rock at WM 18.
nWo is basically lameduck as Hogan leaves due to popularity and is replaced by X-Pac and Nash goes down to injury. Hall also fired shortly after WM 18.
Steiner debuted at SurSer 2002.
Goldberg debuts night after WM 19.

Moved around some things and added some dates to try to make clearer.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

oldpainless posted:

The next night, Flair is revealed as co-owner of WWF as he bought Shane and Stephanie's stock.

You mean that when Shane and Stephanie sold their stock to the consortium....

Ric Flair posted:

THE CONSORTIUM.... WAS ME!

!?!?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

The consortium? I do not think that word means what you think it means.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

That's the word Ric Flair used.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

oldpainless posted:

That's what it means now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It means whatever the hell Ric Flair wants it to mean!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I just wanted more to quote Princess Bride than say Jerusalem was wrong. I just never recall Flair saying consortium, but a lot of that time is a blur to me as it was my teenage years. Besides, consortium is a fun word.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

THE CONSORTIUM.... WAS ME!

After the disappointment of the Invasion, Ric Flair returning and knocking Vince off of his perch was such a huge markout moment for me.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Ric Flair can be a consortium by himself because all of his wives and ex wives are part of it.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

MassRayPer posted:

Ric Flair can be a consortium by himself because all of his wives and ex wives are part of it.

MVP and Booker T would be an ex-consortium.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

It's amazing, and a little sad, to see how different everyone looks in that clip after only 8 years or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

oldpainless posted:

It's amazing, and a little sad, to see how different everyone looks in that clip after only 8 years or so.

Flair is the biggest for me, that time period still feels recent to me but he looks "young" and strong and energetic. The funny thing being, when he was in WCW at the very end, I used to think of him as a washed up old man, but looking back he was in really good condition.