Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Ballz posted:

Overall, it was a great show. I guess my biggest quibble was I hoped Weird Al would be there to do more than just one short. Two or three would've been nice. :kiddo:

I was expecting a couple of songs after they had Coulton doing two for the last one. I figured a song or two out of Al was a given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Bart Fargo posted:

I was expecting a couple of songs after they had Coulton doing two for the last one. I figured a song or two out of Al was a given.

I don't think the amount of non-riffing material went over all that well the first time, so they went pretty much in the opposite direction and did almost all riffing. They could've done at least one or two Al songs though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was kind of expecting Al to actually do more than just sit in for one riff. Anyway, this one was obviously a lower key event as the venue was much smaller and they didn't waste a lot of time farting around not riffing.

I thought it was interesting in the two re-do riffshorts one (Christmas Toy shop) was pretty much the same as the previous version while the other (A Visit to Santa) had quite a few new jokes.

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...
Wow, low turn out or is everyone still out celebrating their Christmas spirit?

Surprised the ding-a-lings weren't mentioned yet. I about died laugh when King Ding was loading up his elevator.

Overall, it was a good show, but not as memorable as the Plan 9 from Outer Space. I still laughed like an idiot at times, though.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think a lower turn out might be the result of sticking the event during finals and right before Christmas. People are either studying, shopping, or out of town.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Great show, but I was surprised as well that Weird Al only showed up to riff one quick short, and that was it. I assumed that we were getting at least one song out of him.

I agree that they probably heard the various complaints about the singing and such from the first show, and went in the completely opposite direction (99% riffing, small in-between segments), which is fine with me.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
The show in Mankato, MN was terrible. The first half hour didn't have sound and the last half hour didn't have video. They rewound the live feed somehow so we only missed the ending. The parts I saw were pretty good, though there were a lot of pissed off old people. Everyone except my group was aged 40+.
Also surprised by the minimal involvement of Weird Al.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

So what's the free swag this time around? Couldn't make it to tonights show gonna try to make it for the replay though.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I wish they hadn't listened to the complaints. I know people in my theatre for the first special got pretty restless by the time they rolled out the Plan 9 song, but still, I enjoyed the show. It felt like they were rushing through this one event.

Depressingly low turn out for this one, too. The first one, I was in a packed theatre, and enjoyed the communal experience, though I was glad not to have two jackasses trying to shout their own, supposedly clever, little lines occasionally only to get shouted down near the end this time around. Hoping this one turned out a success all around, and maybe they'll bring back some more stage time for the next one.

EDIT:

Swag this time is one of the shorts, "Christmas Rhapsody," which is small, and of no account. Also, another signed photo, a nice wallpaper inspired by the pork short, the track to Nestor the Long Eared Christmas Donkey, and their original song, "Sparkly Vampires," which is awesome.

Poor Miserable Gurgi fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 17, 2009

Fascist Funk
Dec 18, 2007
Hey guys what is going on on this site
I hope there were no good riffs for a couple minutes after "I need you tonight" because if so they were completely drowned out by howls of laughter.

Fascist Funk
Dec 18, 2007
Hey guys what is going on on this site
Also I realize that Mike Nelson is not as photogenic as he was in the 90s, but god drat that was a disturbing amount of makeup. He looked lit from within.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

RandolphCarter posted:

So what's the free swag this time around? Couldn't make it to tonights show gonna try to make it for the replay though.
  • Three Magic Words wallpaper by Len Peralta
  • Video on Demand short, "Christmas Rhapsody" as seen on RiffTrax Live!
  • Nestor the Long-eared Christmas Donkey riffed by Mike Nelson (audio only, .mp3 or .riff formats)
  • Live from San Diego! Autographed Digital Photo
  • "Sparkly Vampires," a Twilight-inspired song performed by Mike, Kevin and Bill (aka "The Rifftones")

Fascist Funk posted:

I hope there were no good riffs for a couple minutes after "I need you tonight" because if so they were completely drowned out by howls of laughter.
When it died down a bit I heard them mention that they had missed a good 3 lines of commentary due to all the laughter.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

Shinjobi posted:

I think a lower turn out might be the result of sticking the event during finals and right before Christmas. People are either studying, shopping, or out of town.

I really wanted to go but I am at school right now and theres no way I could leave. Terrible timing on this one.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
Our theater wasn't packed, but it wasn't empty either. It was about what you'd expect for a movie a week or two after its release. I think theater employees ignore the crowds for these events though, after hearing about others audio/video issues, I thought about how the lights in our theater didn't actually go down until there was about 20-30 mins left in the whole drat show. I don't think anybody cared though. There were so many Simpsons "Comic Book Guy"-esque guys in our theater that I had a feeling nobody was leaving their seat for anything.

Oh, and just outside the theater, there was a huge group bespectacled folks discussing old MST3K episodes, and one was a furry wearing the ears and a gigantic, floor-length fox tail and swinging it around by shaking her butt back and forth. THESE are the people I share a hobby with? :gonk:

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

Is anyone else having trouble getting the Nestor Riff MP3 downloaded? If I download it, I get a 13 kb file, but if I try to go to it, I just get 404'd. Did they not load the file on the site, or am I just screwing something extremely simple up?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Madison WI here and the theater was jammed packed. Good times.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

TShields posted:

Our theater wasn't packed, but it wasn't empty either. It was about what you'd expect for a movie a week or two after its release.

That's about what we had. I'd say about 60% of the seats were taken. I was wondering why that was, but as others have mentioned it's the holidays, and it was also on a Wednesday night.

I hope that they do more though. Even though it wasn't a full house, those that were there were definitely enjoying themselves. I didn't see a code to download the new stuff though. Is there a URL that we need to go to? Rifftrax.com is just showing me announcements for last night's show.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Bart Fargo posted:

That's about what we had. I'd say about 60% of the seats were taken. I was wondering why that was, but as others have mentioned it's the holidays, and it was also on a Wednesday night.

I hope that they do more though. Even though it wasn't a full house, those that were there were definitely enjoying themselves. I didn't see a code to download the new stuff though. Is there a URL that we need to go to? Rifftrax.com is just showing me announcements for last night's show.

http://www.rifftrax.com/toyshop

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

It was fun and we had a great time. Although, as mentioned, I wish they had done more with Weird Al than one silly little short. Some music would have been good. But otherwise it was a lot of fun.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Manchester, CT had a good turnout. I was worried that no one was coming, then I realized that the show started at 8 instead of 7. So yeah, about 80% theater, pretty drat good turn out, since last time there was only one theater in CT showing the previous one, and there were a few in the state this time.

Cool Ranch
Sep 20, 2001
Nap Ghost
I as well wish Weird Al would have done a couple more riffs with them. Our theater had a lot of people in it (Knoxville) and that was cool since I honestly had no idea what to expect.

I enjoyed the shorts format and the lack of songs, honestly. I was actually in the Nashville audience live for Plan 9 and I was really really ready for the movie by the time they got to it. It was nice to be in a theater that wasn't sweltering this time, enjoying the brute force humor attack of many shorts.

I had seen the first two before, but had forgotten the "be-top-hatted spider-dog of my nightmares" line, which was worth rehearing. Go check it out tonight if you didn't catch it, very awesome.

P.S. I unironically wish I had Wienerschnitzel :(

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Cool Ranch posted:

I had seen the first two before, but had forgotten the "be-top-hatted spider-dog of my nightmares" line, which was worth rehearing. Go check it out tonight if you didn't catch it, very awesome.

P.S. I unironically wish I had Wienerschnitzel :(
Who could ever forget the interminable train set sequence?

LOOK AT IT!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I wasn't able to attend last night but I have to say that I'm in the camp of people that thought the music wasn't that needed in the first one. Also I have already seen the Plan 9 riff before, so it sounds like I really would have enjoyed last night's even more since I haven't seen any of it yet. Well, hopefully they do more of these in the future.

Haud
Dec 6, 2007

World's Worst Interview
Despite the fact that I wasn't a fan of the music performance from Coulton from the first riffing, I actually wouldn't have minded Weird Al doing a song or two. I dunno, the whole Coulton part just felt really really awkward because no one really knows who he is and the jokes in his songs felt more gimmicky than funny. I feel Weird Al would not have been as awkward to watch, and pretty much everyone knows a Weird Al song or two. Maybe the fact that Weird Al would've needed an ensemble band was too much to set up and coordinate. He could've at least been in on another riff or two to make it seem like he didn't go all the way out to Cali for 5 minutes of work.

I'm glad they got rid of the whole "host" idea, though. But I wouldn't mind more things in between the riffs like old MST3K; the made up commercials were funny last time, and even this time the real ones were hilarious too. I think more things between movie bits would be welcome, just so long as they aren't awkward and drawn out like Coulton seemed to have been.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah part of the problem with Coulton is that nobody knew who he was. Everyone knows Weird Al. It's not that people didn't want funny songs. But they didn't want funny songs by a guy they never heard of, that have nothing to do with the rest of the show.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Besides, as Haud said Coulton is a gimmick. Weird Al has taken gimmickry to a whole new level of artistry--a plane on which he alone resides.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Apparently the theater near me that was showing the Live event isn't showing the encore. Bummer.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Clifton, NJ checking in. The theater was about 60% full, pretty good for a freezing cold night during finals and the holidays. Comparitively the first show was 95% full.
Those shorts were creepy are hell, they sure picked some great stuff to riff on. I could have done without the swimming short, not as funny as the rest. Overall money well spent. If they continue to do these every couple of months I'll go keep going.
More Al would have been nice also.

Haud
Dec 6, 2007

World's Worst Interview

Overwined posted:

Besides, as Haud said Coulton is a gimmick. Weird Al has taken gimmickry to a whole new level of artistry--a plane on which he alone resides.

Exactly. I mean, one of Coulton's songs was about, I think, zombie apocalypse or zombies eating your brains or something? A song about zombies is amusing in theory, but in practice, it was just stupid; the actual product is three minutes of tired cliche done in a bland style. His whole act seems to be "nerd who plays music!" which isn't really that unique or funny anymore, and outside of the novelty of it, it's a lot more awkward than funny. Weird Al is way more diverse and talented at what he does, and he's got universal appeal going for him. Coulton's only really well-known in the video game community -- and even so, "well known" is relative" -- because of his Portal song which, admittedly, is an amazing song, but it only works well in the context of the game. Outside of it, it's not that funny and is just really really awkward.

tomapot posted:

Clifton, NJ checking in. The theater was about 60% full, pretty good for a freezing cold night during finals and the holidays. Comparitively the first show was 95% full.

I guess it's fair to say that the attendance was comparably down from last time. I hope that they realize it's because of the season and not due to waning interest -- or at least, that's what I hope is the reason. I want them to keep doing these.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Yeah, this is hosed up:

"I need you tonight"

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 18, 2009

Persidian
Mar 2, 2009

by T. Finn
I caught the encore tonight, and I was laughing the whole through. But those commercials were just... Well, there's just no way the Dingalings and their multitude of skills are unintentional, right? They squirt! They wave their jackhammer! They have cameras in their crotch?...

Groovy, the full-length version of the Dingaling commercial is on YouTube, and it's surprisingly long. Well I guess it's nice to know that not all of the Dingalings' abilities are creepily phallic, just a large percentage of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9Y99YCVV70

Smiley!
Dec 7, 2009

The Picard Maneuver

Persidian posted:

I caught the encore tonight, and I was laughing the whole through. But those commercials were just... Well, there's just no way the Dingalings and their multitude of skills are unintentional, right? They squirt! They wave their jackhammer! They have cameras in their crotch?...

"Ding-a-ling Spy hides in the shadows, and discovers your secrets with his hidden camera! (BOING!)"

What a hilarious night. The only thing that really fell flat for our show was the "Sports" segment, because... well, it didn't really have anything to do with Christmas and didn't lend itself to riffing that well. However, everything else left the entire theater rolling.

Honestly, I started to call the Rudolph short into question when Santa, delivering gifts for the rabbits, lifted up the covers (?), "just checking for bunny underwear!".

Mr. Blastaway
Jun 23, 2004

Me and my friend were losing our poo poo during the never ending ham sing-a-long short and "A Visit To Santa". No riff required for that poo poo, the :psyduck: factor was enough to keep us in stitches the entire time. Attendance seemed slightly lower than the Plan 9 one, though.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
North Brunswick, NJ was about 80% full and a pretty drat good crowd. And even though I've seen Mike and Bill vomit over Kevin in lingerie several times, Mike's delivery of "I taste copper" makes me laugh like a moron every time.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
AMC Barrett in Marietta, GA had about 25 for the encore.

It was awesome, except for "clap for everything guy." Laugh or just say "ha", you don't have to clap every time someone said something. Who does that?

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Tony Danza Claus posted:

AMC Barrett in Marietta, GA had about 25 for the encore.

It was awesome, except for "clap for everything guy." Laugh or just say "ha", you don't have to clap every time someone said something. Who does that?

Talk about annoying. That would have gotten on my nerves.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Sweet:

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer & A Christmas Dream that were part of the live show!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I can't add them to my cart for some reason.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

I can't add them to my cart for some reason.

The site's acting funky. Give it a minute and try again, then check your cart to see if it's not in there already.

Rudolph is really funny. I didn't know that the phrase "Yo Mama" existed back when this was made :p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Behonkiss posted:

The site's acting funky. Give it a minute and try again, then check your cart to see if it's not in there already.

Rudolph is really funny. I didn't know that the phrase "Yo Mama" existed back when this was made :p

I had a minor download problem with Rudolph and had to try a couple of times.

• Locked thread