Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

black_mastermind
Oct 30, 2008

Dyna Soar posted:

Has any of you guys ever ordered a pickguard online? I want to replace the stock white one with a black or dark green one.

Also what kind of a pickguard does the Highway One P-bass use? I looked through a few online shops and they only had separate categories for american standard, mexican standard and american deluxe.

I put a regular American Standard on mine, if I recall- the holes and everything lined up perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finally caught up on the thread. Thanks for all the info posted in here. I recently decided to get serious about the Squier II P-bass I picked up for cheap a year ago.

The previous owner was nice enough to label all the notes on the frets with a sharpie, but at least it's vintage, right? :downs:

Isamil
Mar 30, 2008
I just started playing bass, and I have a problem hitting the higher frets on the low strings with my pinky. I'm mostly fine(although my pinky tends to angle itself towards the rest of my hand, need to work on that) up until about the 9th fret, and then it starts getting extremely hard to fret the E string with my pinky. Up around the 20th fret, the only way I can do it is if I bring my entire hand over the guitar and practically hit it like a piano.

I had this problem on regular guitar too. For reference, I'm using one of the SX's from Rondo; it's basically a P-bass knockoff.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Isamil - if it is a concern to hit those frets, then shrink the strap length. All the angles will change at that point. If you are having this problem while sitting down, then change where your thumb is place on the back of the neck. Try for the center instead of a handshake grip.

Isamil
Mar 30, 2008
Shrinking the strap length made an improvement, although it's still pretty hard. I have this problem both standing and sitting.

The 18-20th frets on the E string still seem impossible for me to hit with the pinky(partially because the body starts to come out into the next around that point, and I have fairly small hands, although they are very stretchable)

Hopefully this will come with lots of practice.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Isamil posted:

...The 18-20th frets on the E string still seem impossible for me to hit with the pinky...
I think that goes for most people who don't wear their bass with a chin strap. It is very least likely you'll ever hit the 18-20th frets on the E string. But if you do, try hitting them the other way around - on top of the neck instead of from behind.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I'm looking to buy some new strings for my MIM J-bass, and this will be my first time actually getting new strings, which is kind of pathetic. I've read a few FAQs about different string types, and from what I can tell I think I would be best off with a nickel roundwound string. I play somewhere between funk and rock -- my band is covering stuff from Led Zeppelin (I feel like I'm in high school again) to David Bowie to Daft Punk to The Velvet Underground. We're gonna change the world man. I play fingerstyle and have only very recently realized that learning to slap 'n' pop is probably worthwhile.

I figure the nickel roundwounds would give me a nice clear, bright tone without too much of the clanginess that comes with stainless steel. I get the impression that flatwound is better for more mellow stuff, e.g. jazz or reggae or something. What about groundrounds? Somewhere in between, I suppose. Are there any notable examples of bassists that play with or songs that feature groundwounds? Am I on the right track with this stuff?

black_mastermind
Oct 30, 2008

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

I'm looking to buy some new strings for my MIM J-bass, and this will be my first time actually getting new strings, which is kind of pathetic. I've read a few FAQs about different string types, and from what I can tell I think I would be best off with a nickel roundwound string. I play somewhere between funk and rock -- my band is covering stuff from Led Zeppelin (I feel like I'm in high school again) to David Bowie to Daft Punk to The Velvet Underground. We're gonna change the world man. I play fingerstyle and have only very recently realized that learning to slap 'n' pop is probably worthwhile.

I figure the nickel roundwounds would give me a nice clear, bright tone without too much of the clanginess that comes with stainless steel. I get the impression that flatwound is better for more mellow stuff, e.g. jazz or reggae or something. What about groundrounds? Somewhere in between, I suppose. Are there any notable examples of bassists that play with or songs that feature groundwounds? Am I on the right track with this stuff?

Playing around with strings, while kind of pricey, is a pretty good time. You'll get to figure out what you like and don't like, and you will be forced to get familiar with making setup adjustments to your bass with pretty much every different style or gauge or even brand of string.

Of course, you would also be perfectly safe just buying a new set of whatever is on your bass, which was probably pretty close to a set of Fender 7250's, nickel round 45-105.

A new set of strings like the ones already on your bass will give you a great starting point- they'll be zingy new but will mellow out pretty quickly. From there you will know what you like or don't like about them and can go from there.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

I used to play exclusively with groundwound strings, and I still love them and may be back to them soon.

Mike Gordon of Phish plays with Ken Smith Slickrounds, I loved them as well. They've got a nice growl without the overtones of roundwounds. Give them a shot, they're like one step below nickel rounds in the brightness department.

http://www.juststrings.com/kensmithelectricbassguitarslickround.html

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Just chiming in to say that I am rediscovering my love for bass all over again. I had pawned off my previous Squier P-bass a while back when I had a need for cash, but now that I've got another one, I can't let a day go by without picking it up. Been noodling around with various songs here and there (Nirvana's "Dive", Led Zep's "Dazed and Confused", Ted Nugent's "Stranglehold", etc.) and it's like I've reconnected with an old friend. :)

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I've been messing around with guitar (fingerstyle on a classical, mostly) in my spare time for a handful of years now, and have recently taken a keen interest in bass. I don't have a whole lot of cash, but it just so happens that my parents want to get me a graduation gift and we're about to go visit family in Texas. Specifically, a part of Texas that I know is laden with pawn shops which are predominantly full of musical instruments and guns.

Since ordering from the internet generally isn't an option for me, and used equipment seems to be the way to go, would it be a good idea for me to try to pick up something found at a pawn shop? Here's the catch: I know almost nothing about specific models or even general bass craftsmanship.

I'm estimating a roughly $$300 price range, ignoring amps and speakers. Would pawn shop instruments be reasonably discounted, or do you guys think it'd be unwise for somebody with little bass experience to pick something based on instinct? And how reliable are the feel of the instrument and its unamplified sound, as judged by a bass beginner, as a metric for determining how good an instrument is?

I'm not looking for anything that sounds amazing here; just a reliable instrument that I'll be able to putz around on by myself for a long time to come.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Might be picking up a new bass this afternoon, as long as it sounds and plays like I think it's going to. Hints:

-Old
-Japanese
-Not lawsuit

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Hammer Bro. posted:

I've been messing around with guitar (fingerstyle on a classical, mostly) in my spare time for a handful of years now, and have recently taken a keen interest in bass. I don't have a whole lot of cash, but it just so happens that my parents want to get me a graduation gift and we're about to go visit family in Texas. Specifically, a part of Texas that I know is laden with pawn shops which are predominantly full of musical instruments and guns.

Since ordering from the internet generally isn't an option for me, and used equipment seems to be the way to go, would it be a good idea for me to try to pick up something found at a pawn shop? Here's the catch: I know almost nothing about specific models or even general bass craftsmanship.

I'm estimating a roughly $$300 price range, ignoring amps and speakers. Would pawn shop instruments be reasonably discounted, or do you guys think it'd be unwise for somebody with little bass experience to pick something based on instinct? And how reliable are the feel of the instrument and its unamplified sound, as judged by a bass beginner, as a metric for determining how good an instrument is?

I'm not looking for anything that sounds amazing here; just a reliable instrument that I'll be able to putz around on by myself for a long time to come.

Buying a bass from a random pawn shop without hearing how it sounds or if it works at all is a HUGE risk, especially if you can't tell what it actually is. I don't know much about pawn shops but the way I understand it there's no guarantee what you're getting if the guy who pawned his bass was a good enough bullshitter. You can get a new bass perfectly fine for beginners for under 300 bucks no problem. I'd go to your local shop, tell them your budget and ask what they have.

I've heard good things about current Tokai Jazz copies, supposedly very good for just under 300€. Any jazz copy or an Ibanez is good for a beginner I guess since they've got thinner necks, but if you're hardcore get a Precision model bass. Thicker neck, beefier sound, no unnecessary bells and whistles.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 23, 2009

black_mastermind
Oct 30, 2008

Hammer Bro. posted:

Well, if a bass feels good to you and sounds good unplugged, switching the electronics is really not too big of a deal down the road if you don't like the way it sounds plugged in. "Feel" is in my opinion the most important thing to consider when choosing an instrument- if you aren't comfortable playing it, you aren't going to play it.

There are a few really good bang-for-the-buck basses right around the $300 mark that you can find new in pretty much any music store. The Squier "Vintage Modified" line is pretty solid, and they have a new one out that I have not yet gotten my hands on, the "Deluxe Jazz Bass IV Active" is the 4-string version of a 5-string model they have had for a few years that was a drat fine bass for the money.

Happy Hunting!

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

black_mastermind posted:

Well, if a bass feels good to you and sounds good unplugged, switching the electronics is really not too big of a deal down the road if you don't like the way it sounds plugged in. "Feel" is in my opinion the most important thing to consider when choosing an instrument- if you aren't comfortable playing it, you aren't going to play it.

This is all true, but only if you're sure what you're getting is will actually work.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also, ask if you can plug it in and play it in the store. They should have at least one bass amp. If not, use a guitar amp but keep the low end and volume turned down so it doesn't crack the speaker.

Do you have a headphone amp you could take in with you?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Thanks for all the prompt replies.

Unfortunately I'm quite inexperienced with amplifiers. I had actually planned to eventually go the software amp route, since I'm not worried about playing anything live and it seems like it might be more cost effective, but I'm just now starting to get a feel for that. Normally I just play my acoustic guitar quietly or my electrics not plugged into anything. I was actually meaning to ask: Since apparently basses output stronger signals than electric guitars and will blow out amps turned up, am I at risk of blowing up my laptop if I were to plug a bass into its line in and attempt to record/amplify something that way? I'll definitely ask if they have a bass amp, but I might be able to bring this computer as a backup plan.

I vaguely suspect I'll like J more than P, just because the thinner neck won't bother me and I tend to like smoother, cleaner sounds compared to heavy, crunchy things. But it seems the most important things are how it feels, how it sounds, and whether or not it works. It's been a while since I was last there, but I seem to remember most of the instruments I glanced at last time I was in the area seemed in like-new condition; I remember getting the impression that most of them were probably received as gifts and immediately pawned for money. That's why I thought a pawn shop might be a good idea -- practically unused instruments for lower prices.

Hopefully, if I find anything that looks like it's in good condition, feels right, and sounds like it works, I'll be able to look it up on the internet to make sure it's reliable. I wasn't planning to look for something not by a reputable company (I'm under the impression that Ibanez and Fender Squiers are generally good, but of course it varies by model). I'll definitely be a little more cautious, though. And, although I'm not sure if they'll be open tomorrow, I'll try to swing by the local shops beforehand to try to get a feel for a new, high quality bass.

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.
It's not that the bass will output too hot a signal and blow out the amp, it's that the speaker in a typical guitar combo/cabinet isn't made for the low frequencies a bass puts out and can be easily damaged by them at even moderate volumes.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Hammer Bro. posted:

Hopefully, if I find anything that looks like it's in good condition, feels right, and sounds like it works, I'll be able to look it up on the internet to make sure it's reliable. I wasn't planning to look for something not by a reputable company (I'm under the impression that Ibanez and Fender Squiers are generally good, but of course it varies by model). I'll definitely be a little more cautious, though. And, although I'm not sure if they'll be open tomorrow, I'll try to swing by the local shops beforehand to try to get a feel for a new, high quality bass.
Speaking as one bass novice to another, I can heartily attest to the fact that not only should you get a bass that feels and sounds good, but it should also look good to you as well. If you get one that absolutely speaks to you in all those areas, you will be much more motivated to pick it up and play it and practice with it. Like a beautiful woman, you just won't be able to keep your hands off of it. :quagmire:

Of course, like so many of us you have to stick to what you can afford within your price range. But definitely shop around, and see if you can find the bass that just seems to be calling your name when you look at it.

I've owned two different Squier P-basses within the last couple of years, and I can honestly say I liked them both, if you need a bit of a brand endorsement/recommendation. :v:

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I've been banging on a Squier Vintage Modified P-Bass for a few years now, learning the ropes, and I give my full endorsement. Its a bit beat up now, I haven't treated it super well, and some of the pots and other electronics might need some work. But for the price its been fantastic.

I'm about ready to move on though, so I'm checking out some J-pick up arranged type basses

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Mike N Eich posted:

I've been banging on a Squier Vintage Modified P-Bass for a few years now, learning the ropes, and I give my full endorsement. Its a bit beat up now, I haven't treated it super well, and some of the pots and other electronics might need some work. But for the price its been fantastic.

I'm about ready to move on though, so I'm checking out some J-pick up arranged type basses

What's your price range?

If you don't want to spend a whole lot... look at the Squier Classic Vibe jazz bass.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Happy holidays, bassthread :love::parrot::love:

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Well, it's Christmas in Japan, so I can show you this:

Sorry for the crappy picture. It's a Matsumoko-made Electra from around 1980. Pickup replaced with a Villex, which I had never heard of but is pretty awesome. It's passive, but pretty active sounding with a dedicated mid control. I'm not a huge fan of the ultra hi-fi sound of some active stuff, but I can just roll the tone off like I do with my P and just dial in the mids so I can cut through. I love my (Rondo) Precision and the P-bass sound, but I didn't just want to get another P-bass. Plus I love the quirky old Japanese stuff, so it's a win-win for me.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Narwhale posted:

Well, it's Christmas in Japan, so I can show you this:

Sorry for the crappy picture. It's a Matsumoko-made Electra from around 1980. Pickup replaced with a Villex, which I had never heard of but is pretty awesome. It's passive, but pretty active sounding with a dedicated mid control. I'm not a huge fan of the ultra hi-fi sound of some active stuff, but I can just roll the tone off like I do with my P and just dial in the mids so I can cut through. I love my (Rondo) Precision and the P-bass sound, but I didn't just want to get another P-bass. Plus I love the quirky old Japanese stuff, so it's a win-win for me.
I swear that was on my local craigslist like a day ago. Quirky indeed! Any chance for someo sound clips? How's the neck? Looks like a p-sized one.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

scuz posted:

I swear that was on my local craigslist like a day ago. Quirky indeed! Any chance for someo sound clips? How's the neck? Looks like a p-sized one.

You may have seen it on Talk Bass, as the guy had it up in the classifieds for about 2 months. It was on consignment at a local (Chapel Hill, NC) music shop. The neck is indeed very close to my P. Maybe a tiny bit deeper and less wide. I should be able to put up some clips after the holiday through my trial copy of IK SVX. Villex has some clips here that will give you an idea of the pickup and what the mid control does to the tone.

cpach
Feb 28, 2005

Hammer Bro. posted:

Since apparently basses output stronger signals than electric guitars and will blow out amps turned up, am I at risk of blowing up my laptop if I were to plug a bass into its line in and attempt to record/amplify something that way? I'll definitely ask if they have a bass amp, but I might be able to bring this computer as a backup plan.
It's not the hotter signal of a bass that can ruin guitar amps, it's that the speaker drivers and cabinet design are not designed for low frequencies, and that guitar power amps usually aren't powerful enough for bass. Low frequencies require a lot more power for the same perceived volume, which causes some people playing bass into guitar amps to just keep turning up until the amp and speakers (trying to feel bass frequencies the amp just can't produce)strain to try to reproduce them, and eventually the speakers can blow.

Buying used is generally a good idea. I haven't seen generally good deals in pawn shops in my area (SF Bay Area) and the few times I've looked they weren't very good at pricing instruments. This could definitely be different in your market. If you can, I'd check to see what that same model has sold for on eBay/etc to see if it's actually priced appropriately. If you know what you're looking for $300 can get you a great bass. If you think you can evaluate a bass for problems (bad electronics, warped neck, excessive fretwear, bad tuning machines, messed up hardware in general) then I'd specifically recommend you look at older Japanese basses, like old Yamaha BB series or Ibanez Roadsters. There's good basses out of Korean, Taiwan, etc these days, though. I play gigs on a new production Yamaha BB414 made in Indonesia of all places I bought new for like $360 bucks or something and it's great.

trans fat
Jul 29, 2007

What's the consensus on the quality of Silvertone brand bass guitars? There's one at a local pawn shop for $100 and I don't know anything about them. Is this a steal or would I be robbed? I don't know the specific brand that it is.

Is its tone more akin to a jazz bass or a precision bass? What kind of music is it good for? Questions like this.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

trans fat posted:

What's the consensus on the quality of Silvertone brand bass guitars? There's one at a local pawn shop for $100 and I don't know anything about them. Is this a steal or would I be robbed? I don't know the specific brand that it is.

Is its tone more akin to a jazz bass or a precision bass? What kind of music is it good for? Questions like this.
$100 is too much for a Silvertone. They sell them in over-priced record stores like the Sam Goody I used to work at. Get anything else; your local craigslist should be teeming with ads this time of year.

trans fat
Jul 29, 2007

scuz posted:

$100 is too much for a Silvertone. They sell them in over-priced record stores like the Sam Goody I used to work at. Get anything else; your local craigslist should be teeming with ads this time of year.

Thanks bro. I'm not very good at gear, if you can't tell. I'm assuming by your post that they are the Starcaster of bass?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

trans fat posted:

Thanks bro. I'm not very good at gear, if you can't tell. I'm assuming by your post that they are the Starcaster of bass?
No worries, duder; that's what the thread is for :)

With regards to the starcaster comparison, pretty much. They may be even worse (I think they're worse).

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
So for Christmas, my step-dad is getting me a new 5 string bass. A Washburn Bantum, (BB15 I assume, since that's the only 5 string Bantum I can find) which from what I've researched, the price that the shop across town is selling a used one for is insanely low. $175 for it and the guy just needed to clean it and replace the strings (it was dusty but was still glossy under the dust) Is there something totaly wrong here or have I just lucked out?

I didn't get a chance to play-test it since my step-dad bought it before I had a chance to, and I won't get to play-test it till tomorrow night when he comes by.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

scuz posted:

Happy holidays, bassthread :love::parrot::love:

i totally associate that parrot/muppet with this thread and i wouldnt want it any other way

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Has anyone tried the Orange Bass Terror? I could maybe afford one and I really need to replace my lovely Ashdown amp asap. I read some good stuff about the Bass Terror on talkbass.com, looks like its a killer. The small size is kind of a bummer though, easy to carry I guess but I like my gear to be as big as possible :)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Dyna Soar posted:

Has anyone tried the Orange Bass Terror? I could maybe afford one and I really need to replace my lovely Ashdown amp asap. I read some good stuff about the Bass Terror on talkbass.com, looks like its a killer. The small size is kind of a bummer though, easy to carry I guess but I like my gear to be as big as possible :)

Well there's always the AD200B if you want size :)

I'd love to have a Terror Bass in my arsenal... great sounding amp. 500W at 8 or 4ohms, DI, effects loop, etc. They really went all out on that thing.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

i totally associate that parrot/muppet with this thread and i wouldnt want it any other way

go here

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 25, 2009

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Scarf posted:

Well there's always the AD200B if you want size :)
Heh, a bit too rich for my blood... Besides, I don't really need that kind of power. The Terror Bass packs more than enough of a punch for my needs right now. Or so I hope.

Scarf posted:

I'd love to have a Terror Bass in my arsenal... great sounding amp. 500W at 8 or 4ohms, DI, effects loop, etc. They really went all out on that thing.

Yeah, and the fact that it isn't a full tube is definitely a plus for me at the moment. I'll probably get a tube amp when I get a job that pays decent money in the future, but right now I'll rather take an transistor amp than a tube amp to keep the maintenance costs at a minimum.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

cpach posted:

It's not the hotter signal of a bass that can ruin guitar amps, it's that the speaker drivers and cabinet design are not designed for low frequencies, and that guitar power amps usually aren't powerful enough for bass. Low frequencies require a lot more power for the same perceived volume, which causes some people playing bass into guitar amps to just keep turning up until the amp and speakers (trying to feel bass frequencies the amp just can't produce)strain to try to reproduce them, and eventually the speakers can blow.

Ah, this explanation of it makes a lot of sense. Does anybody know what the regular frequency range for a bass is? I'm not exactly sure what the response on my lousy laptop speakers/earbuds is, but surely they'll sound as well as they normally do without being damaged.

But something just occurred to me, as I was packing for my early-next-morning flight. I know that airplanes allow a musical instrument as a carry on item, since I took my acoustic with me somewhere once, but I just realized that I don't (and possibly won't immediately) have a case for this instrument. I do have a generic soft guitar case, but I have no idea offhand if that would work.

So, for those of you in the know, will a soft case that currently holds a Jay Turser JT-300 Series electric guitar keep a bass covered in a pinch? I suppose it varies somewhat on what kind of bass I find, but would it even be worth the attempt? Or would a bass survive if placed snugly on top of any other carry-ons in its natural form?

I'll be leaving to test my luck about 9 hours from now, although I'm not sure which days I'll be pawn-shopping on, but I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled for something that calls out to me specifically, then double check things on the internet, before I make a decision. Thanks for all the advice so far; I'm definitely looking forward to putting it to good use.

cpach
Feb 28, 2005

Hammer Bro. posted:

Does anybody know what the regular frequency range for a bass is? I'm not exactly sure what the response on my lousy laptop speakers/earbuds is, but surely they'll sound as well as they normally do without being damaged.
The fundamental of the low E string is 41.2Hz and some modern basses have pretty high frequency extension--not sure, above 10k? A low B string is 30.8Hz. Reproducing the fundamental isn't necessarily that important, especially on the lowest notes--lots of players play 5 strings with cabs that don't go down to 30Hz and it works out fine. poo poo headphones(especially non-sealing earbuds) can have pretty poor frequency response, but good IEMs or full sized headphones can give you as much bass extension as you can hear, though you won't feel it with your body. You probably won't mess up your laptop/headphones though. You'd have to get a bass signal into your computer in the first place--do you have an external sound card or something? As far as I'm aware most onboard sound expects a line level signal. You really should try any bass out through a real amp in my opinion.

Hammer Bro. posted:

But something just occurred to me, as I was packing for my early-next-morning flight. I know that airplanes allow a musical instrument as a carry on item, since I took my acoustic with me somewhere once, but I just realized that I don't (and possibly won't immediately) have a case for this instrument. I do have a generic soft guitar case, but I have no idea offhand if that would work.
[/quote>
No, probably not. Basses are much longer than guitars. Also, google about carrying instruments on planes, it's apparently rather hit-or-miss about what they'll allow. I've never tried it. It would be a sad story if you showed up at the plane with your new bass in a flimsy gig bag and were told you had to stow it or leave it.
[quote="Hammer Bro."]
Or would a bass survive if placed snugly on top of any other carry-ons in its natural form?
Please don't do this. At least buy a frickin' gig bag. They're like $15. Lots of used instruments also sell with cases.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

cpach posted:

Please don't do this. At least buy a frickin' gig bag. They're like $15. Lots of used instruments also sell with cases.

Gotcha; shan't even attempt to bring the bag, and I'll make sure to grab something while I'm out there. It's likely that they have 'em, I just wasn't looking for them last time I was in the area since I was only messing around on the instruments.

Eventually I'll need to get me a good, or even decent, pair of headphones, but since I don't really plan naught but messing around for a while I'm in no hurry to get them. I'm not sure if it's supposed to require amplification, but I've plugged my electrics into the line in on my laptop and I can actually get the input to clip if the knobs are near 10, so I think it'll be okay. At least for my purposes, anyway.

Anyway, it's time for me to head out. Au revoir, y'all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Hammer Bro. posted:

Gotcha; shan't even attempt to bring the bag, and I'll make sure to grab something while I'm out there. It's likely that they have 'em, I just wasn't looking for them last time I was in the area since I was only messing around on the instruments.

Eventually I'll need to get me a good, or even decent, pair of headphones, but since I don't really plan naught but messing around for a while I'm in no hurry to get them. I'm not sure if it's supposed to require amplification, but I've plugged my electrics into the line in on my laptop and I can actually get the input to clip if the knobs are near 10, so I think it'll be okay. At least for my purposes, anyway.

Anyway, it's time for me to head out. Au revoir, y'all!

Probably too late for this but for what it's worth, I brought my bass home as carry-on. Lacking a hardshell, I didn't care for it to get dropped/crushed/worse in the holidays airport rush.

In the end it came in very handy, since my flight was delayed by about 12 hours due to a snowstorm in Vancouver and I had nothing else to do while waiting at the terminal. :v: