Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonkeeKong
May 17, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

regulargonzalez posted:

Any recommendations for dark or gritty movies with an unreliable narrator? Something along the lines of Memento, Identity, Jacob's Ladder, or The Usual Suspects. And preferably smaller films - if it's something well-known or by a big name director, odds are I've seen it.

Available on Netlix Streaming would be a bonus.

Images by Robert Altman might just be what you're looking for. Also, I'd like to recommend the classic suspense movie The Killers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I love all the films you named, so I'll throw out Lost Highway, Angel Heart, The Machinist, and Pi, even though you've probably seen them already.

'Fraid so. Though Angel Heart might be due for a rewatch.

MonkeeKong posted:

Images by Robert Altman might just be what you're looking for. Also, I'd like to recommend the classic suspense movie The Killers.
For some reason I thought The Killers was a Kubrick movie, but IMDB says not. Haven't seen either of the films you recommended, thanks!

e: typed Images into Netflix and while it sadly isn't available for streaming, Following is! Haven't seen it for nearly a decade, definitely will watch this tonight. Thanks!

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 21, 2009

MonkeeKong
May 17, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
No problem, hope you like it!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I watched The Fall yesterday and it was really great. I'd love any recommendations for other visually stunning, original movies.

edit: Not Benjamin Button

Matteo44
May 18, 2004
I have almost no exposure to the film noire genre and would love to get more acquainted with some good entries. Really the only film I've seen that could be considered film noire would be Brick, which I thought was absolutely fantastic. I suppose Sin City had some elements to the genre but I don't think it really counts. So where should I begin? If possible, I'd like to start with some more modern films and work my way back.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Matteo44 posted:

I have almost no exposure to the film noire genre and would love to get more acquainted with some good entries. Really the only film I've seen that could be considered film noire would be Brick, which I thought was absolutely fantastic. I suppose Sin City had some elements to the genre but I don't think it really counts. So where should I begin? If possible, I'd like to start with some more modern films and work my way back.

The Man Who Wasn't There

Ehud posted:

I watched The Fall yesterday and it was really great. I'd love any recommendations for other visually stunning, original movies.

The Fountain

Also there's a thread on this a few pages back.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

For some reason I thought The Killers was a Kubrick movie, but IMDB says not. Haven't seen either of the films you recommended, thanks!
Your confusion is understandable. Kubrick directed movies called Killer's Kiss and The Killing.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Ehud posted:

Flowers of Shanghai is the most gorgeous film I've ever seen. Visually ravishing. You have to have a tolerance for plotless, slow-moving films though.

Matteo44 posted:

The original DOA (which iirc is available for free on any public domain movie site - fell out of copyright) and Double Indemnity are definitive examples of the genre.
e: But those are among the progenitors. If you want something more recent to work back from, maybe Angel Heart would qualify - kind of noirish with a twist. Ditto for Dark City. Tone is definitely film noir-like, but from a plot standpoint I don't know if either would directly qualify.

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Your confusion is understandable. Kubrick directed movies called Killer's Kiss and The Killing.
Ah, that makes sense. Just too much killing to keep track of them all I suppose.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 21, 2009

Drizzle 34
Jul 16, 2007
like:
fight club, gangs of new york, lock stock, rocknrolla, ocean's 11, se7en, life aquatic with steve zissou, Trainspotting, oldboy.

Those definitely aren't all, but I'm heading out to rent something today and those are close to what I'm in the mood for. I've seen snatch but didn't like it as well as the other two guy films. might be the accent, though I usually keep up fine.

MonkeeKong
May 17, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Matteo44 posted:

I guess I just must recommend The Killers to you as well! Otherwise, some great movies to begin with would be Billy Wilders Double Indemnity, Nicolas Rays In A Lonely Place, Orson Welles Touch of Evil, Howard Hawks The Big Sleep and Otto Premingers Laura. I consider all six movies I've mentioned to be masterpieces, but Double Indemnity and The Big Sleep are probably the most well-known and famous of them and Touch of Evil and In A Lonely Place are my personal favorites.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Matteo44 posted:

In addition to the other great ones suggested, definitely give Saumel Fuller's Pickup on South Street a try. It's a really funny and extremely watchable noir that pretty much anyone can get into.

Also great are Night and the City (1950) and The Naked City, both by Jules Dassin. He's done a bunch of great ones, so you can't really go wrong just going through his work.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

My favorite noirs:

Double Indemnity
Sweet Smell of Success
The Third Man
Notorious
The Night of the Hunter
Shadow of a Doubt
Nightmare Alley
Bad Day at Black Rock
Gilda
The Killing
The Stranger
Where the Sidewalk Ends
The Asphalt Jungle
The Lady from Shanghai
Gun Crazy
Laura
Murder, My Sweet
Touch of Evil

There's a lot more I could name, but I'm particularly fond of the genre.

As for neo-noir/foreign noir:

Blade Runner
Shoot the Piano Player
Les Diaboliques
Stray Dog
Chinatown
Le Samourai
Blood Simple
L.A. Confidential
The Grifters
The Last Seduction
Blue Velvet
Dark City
The Man Who Wasn't There
House of Games

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Drizzle 34 posted:

like:
fight club, gangs of new york, lock stock, rocknrolla, ocean's 11, se7en, life aquatic with steve zissou, Trainspotting, oldboy.

Those definitely aren't all, but I'm heading out to rent something today and those are close to what I'm in the mood for. I've seen snatch but didn't like it as well as the other two guy films. might be the accent, though I usually keep up fine.

Maybe La Femme Nikita or Shallow Grave

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
Can someone suggest some good movies about the Yakuza? I'm thinking the equivalent of The Godfather but something that's just an action flick with Yakuza as characters is cool too.

Izzy Mandelbaum
Dec 5, 2006

It's go time
All this talk of noir and not a single mention of The Maltese Falcon.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Carbon Thief posted:

Can someone suggest some good movies about the Yakuza? I'm thinking the equivalent of The Godfather but something that's just an action flick with Yakuza as characters is cool too.

Sonatine
Hana-bi (Fireworks)
Branded to Kill
Tokyo Drifter
Yakuza Graveyard
Sympathy for the Underdog
Youth of the Beast
Tattooed Life

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Carbon Thief posted:

Battles without Honor and Humanity was pretty much designed to be the Yakuza Godfather. It's not nearly as good, but it's a hell of a movie anyway -- there's like a hundred sequels I haven't seen, though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Carbon Thief posted:

The Yakuza Papers is a series of five movies that are pretty much exactly like a Japanese Godfather the first one is called Battles Without Honor and Humanity

Edit: That's what I get for staring at the submit screen for too long.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
1) Which of those movies FitFortDanga posted is the best? Or where should I start? Oh and I've seen Tokyo Drifter, I liked it a lot.

2) This might be slightly harder to answer but there's a song by Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers called Afrique and all I can picture in the beginning of the song is a really intense foot chase in a rainy street with lots of shots half showing corners and half showing the street the chaser is coming down. Are there any movies that are heavy in this kind of jazz that are film noir. I've asked this question to some adults who like film noir and they recommended me good movies, but the jazz in them was smooth boring jazz, didn't have the intensity I was looking for in the movie or in the soundtrack.

edit: oh ya and bonus if you can tell me why in the Film Dump I can't sort by rating

thehandtruck fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 24, 2009

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

thehandtruck posted:

1) Which of those movies FitFortDanga posted is the best? Or where should I start? Oh and I've seen Tokyo Drifter, I liked it a lot.

Since you liked TD, I suggest the other Suzuki films... Youth of the Beast, Tattooed Life and especially Branded to Kill. Out of the rest that I listed, Yakuza Graveyard is the best of the straight-up yakuza films. Sonatine and Hana-bi by Takeshi Kitano are more postmodern yakuza, very well-done but maybe more low-key and introspective than what you're looking for.

thehandtruck posted:

2) This might be slightly harder to answer but there's a song by Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers called Afrique and all I can picture in the beginning of the song is a really intense foot chase in a rainy street with lots of shots half showing corners and half showing the street the chaser is coming down. Are there any movies that are heavy in this kind of jazz that are film noir. I've asked this question to some adults who like film noir and they recommended me good movies, but the jazz in them was smooth boring jazz, didn't have the intensity I was looking for in the movie or in the soundtrack.

Check out Elevator to the Gallows, a French noir with a terrific Miles Davis score.

Izzy Mandelbaum
Dec 5, 2006

It's go time
Can anyone recommend me some good books on film? I don't care what they are, I just want something good to read.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Can anyone recommend good documentaries? I've watched Food, Inc. lately and it's got me on a documentary kick. I've also seen Beer Wars. Well I guess I'm mostly looking for food documentaries, but others would do.

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
My friend and I really like horror movies but she is a total wimp when it comes to ghost movies. Can anybody recommend something especially terrifying and is of the ghost variety? Can be black and white, subtitled, etc. Doesn't matter.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Beobeobeo posted:

My friend and I really like horror movies but she is a total wimp when it comes to ghost movies. Can anybody recommend something especially terrifying and is of the ghost variety? Can be black and white, subtitled, etc. Doesn't matter.

The original The Haunting. The Innocents. Kill, Baby, Kill!. Poltergeist ratchets up the terror quickly, too, in my view.

For someone afraid of ghosts, I can't help but imagine this would be nightmare fuel:

oceanside
Nov 4, 2009
I'm feeling like some mindless violence right now. What are some movies with slick, cool and calculated assassins? In the vein of Leon and Lucky Number Slevin.

Also, do any movies exist that are centred primarily on an interrogation, but not with physical torture, more the mental kind of thing.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

oceanside posted:

Also, do any movies exist that are centred primarily on an interrogation, but not with physical torture, more the mental kind of thing.

Closet Land is exactly what you're looking for.

edit: looks like the whole movie is on YouTube.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

oceanside posted:

I'm feeling like some mindless violence right now. What are some movies with slick, cool and calculated assassins? In the vein of Leon and Lucky Number Slevin.

It's probably obvious, but The Usual Suspects is set during an interrogation in the present, broken up by flashbacks to various events in the past being discussed. Also, while it's a very small part of the movie, L.A. Confidential has my favorite criminal interrogation scene ever.

As for assassin movies, try The Killer by John Woo for one of the best and most stylish ever. For lighter fare that's still violent, of course there's Grosse Pointe Blank and Pulp Fiction.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

And for more of the mindless violence angle, try Wanted

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

oceanside posted:

It's a tv show, but you should probably watch this episode of Homicide.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

oceanside posted:

Under Suspicion with Morgan Freeman and Gene Hackmen might be something of interest for you.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

oceanside posted:

There's a pretty ridiculous actioner by name of "The Tournament" that just came out. It's a good fun time-waster that taught me that Hitmen have terrible fashion sense. Stars Robert Carlyle, Ving Rhames and Kelly Hu.

Summary:
Every seven years in an unsuspecting town, The Tournament takes place. A battle royale between 30 of the world's deadliest assassins. The last man standing receiving the $10,000,000 cash prize and the title of Worlds No 1, which itself carries the legendary million dollar a bullet price tag.

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005

The Cameo posted:

The original The Haunting. The Innocents. Kill, Baby, Kill!. Poltergeist ratchets up the terror quickly, too, in my view.

For someone afraid of ghosts, I can't help but imagine this would be nightmare fuel:

I went the route of Kill, Baby, Kill! since we had already seen the others; it did not disappoint. Thanks!

Sashkabob
Oct 26, 2008
Can anyone recommend some independent type artsy/indie/philosophical type films?
I really enjoy movies like:

Requiem for a Dream
Waking Life
Abres Los Ojos (Open Your Eyes)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Into the Wild
eXistenZ

Also, I really enjoy movies that have a certain style about them - like a certain unique characteristic that invokes a particular emotion.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

Sashkabob posted:

Can anyone recommend some independent type artsy/indie/philosophical type films?

Requiem for a Dream
Waking Life
Into the Wild
eXistenZ

Also, I really enjoy movies that have a certain style about them - like a certain unique characteristic that invokes a particular emotion.

If you haven't seen it, I'd recommend Lost in Translation. If has the artsy/indie feel that you're looking for, and it also conveys emotions in my mind.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Sashkabob posted:

Requiem for a Dream
Waking Life
Into the Wild
eXistenZ

If you liked Waking Life, surely you've seen Before Sunrise and Before Sunset? Not as overtly philosophical as Waking Life, but definitely indie, artsy in a not-trying-to-be-artsy type of way, and just all around great movies. Jesse and Celine from the 'laying in bed talking' scene in Waking Life are the main characters in those movies.

I'd also recomment the *qatsi films -Koyaanisqatsi, Powaqqatsi, and Naqoyqatsi. Also Baraka, which is very similar.

Born into Brothels isn't arty or philosophical per se, but it definitely evokes emotions.

Other ideas:
Tarnation
Akira Kurosawa's Dreams
2046 (I have a hunch you'd really like this)

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.

Sashkabob posted:

Requiem for a Dream
Waking Life
Into the Wild
eXistenZ

Charlie Kaufman wrote the screenplay for Eternal Sunshine. His other movies are equally great and bizarre, though maybe not as affecting. I highly recommend Being John Malkovich.

I'd also suggest The Wrestler and Pi from Darren Aronofsky, the director of Requiem for a Dream.

Sashkabob
Oct 26, 2008
Awesome, thanks guys. I enjoyed Lost In Translation and Before Sunrise
Two for two so far.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

Sashkabob posted:

Awesome, thanks guys. I enjoyed Lost In Translation and Before Sunrise
Two for two so far.

You have to watch Before Sunset next!

Sashkabob
Oct 26, 2008
Done, it was equally good :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
I was browsing Netflix watch instantly movies and saw I Served the King of England and loved it, what's more is, I don't know why. Maybe I'm a sucker for a soft voice-over.

Any recommendations for movies similar to it? Most of the director's other movies seem pretty elusive.

thehandtruck fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 5, 2010

• Locked thread