Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

Do they even make mufflers for harleys or are they all straight pipes?

Believe it or not stock harleys are very quiet. The problem is finding a stock harley, dealers put on the screamin' eagle bullshit (which my bike has).

In the end I'm going with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSkM5oEY38k

I said gently caress it, they're all loud, I'll just go for a less harsh sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

VTNewb posted:

Believe it or not stock harleys are very quiet. The problem is finding a stock harley, dealers put on the screamin' eagle bullshit (which my bike has).

In the end I'm going with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSkM5oEY38k

I said gently caress it, they're all loud, I'll just go for a less harsh sound.

quote:

that is completely unacceptable , u do not try to convert a harley into a lovely JAP bike

:suicide:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VTNewb posted:

I can't find a non loud harley exhaust :|

How are the Termis, those are at least baffled, no?

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

VTNewb posted:

I can't find a non loud harley exhaust :|

Go to a Harley dealer and find some take-offs. Should be pretty cheap, the chrome/finish on them is excellent and they are quiet. Aftermarket pipes are all about the noise/HP ratio rather than actual performance.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
yeah what's the problem finding takeoffs? i thought those things were dirt cheap and everywhere precisely because every harley owner puts straight pipes on it when they buy it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

:ohdear:

Hahahaha. Intricate imagery in Germannic languages always come across as harsh and primitve when directly translated. I'm writing that the smell of christmas pastries is mixed with the smell of overheating credit cards, but the translation makes it sound a bit ... animal/cannibal-like.

This one was funny.

quote:

The famous German motorway network are all over the world associated with free trade. Det gir tanker om total fartsfrihet og endelig la hele effektregisteret komme til sin rett. It gives ideas about total freedom of trade and finally let the whole effect the register come into its own.

Free trade, cash register? Dollar dollar bill yall? Somehow "speed" became "trade" and "powerband" became "register".

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gnomad posted:

Go to a Harley dealer and find some take-offs. Should be pretty cheap, the chrome/finish on them is excellent and they are quiet. Aftermarket pipes are all about the noise/HP ratio rather than actual performance.

Thats true, I remember when my dad first got his Harley, I was shocked that it was so silent, as I had never actually heard a Harley with a stock exhaust before.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

yeah what's the problem finding takeoffs? i thought those things were dirt cheap and everywhere precisely because every harley owner puts straight pipes on it when they buy it.

They are, but street trackers don't have pipes like that. I might just get the 2-1 header and get baffled muffler.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

Hahahaha. Intricate imagery in Germannic languages always come across as harsh and primitve when directly translated. I'm writing that the smell of christmas pastries is mixed with the smell of overheating credit cards, but the translation makes it sound a bit ... animal/cannibal-like.

This one was funny.

Free trade, cash register? Dollar dollar bill yall? Somehow "speed" became "trade" and "powerband" became "register".

It's translation poetry. :neckbeard:

I like the way stock Harleys sound. Is that a bad thing? :ohdear:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

aburbaburbaburbuaburbuaburba

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Z3n posted:

It's translation poetry. :neckbeard:

I like the way stock Harleys sound. Is that a bad thing? :ohdear:

No, not at all. I've been saying for a while Harleys are very nice bikes. It's all the douchebaggery that happens that sucks (just like pretty much any other bike).

(and actually they sound more like potatopotatopotatopotatopotatopotato to me)

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Doctor Zero posted:

(and actually they sound more like potatopotatopotatopotatopotatopotato to me)
Same here. I like the sound of unmodified large displacement twins, Harleys in particular.

Once they get Lout Pipes, though, that's another story.

I always wondered - if your *car* sounded like that, you'd take it to a mechanic and get the drat thing fixed...why is your bike sounding like that a good thing?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Tsaven, I'm still really mad at your for sniping me. I'm not sure how we can resolve this but it needs to be done!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

frozenphil posted:

Tsaven, I'm still really mad at your for sniping me. I'm not sure how we can resolve this but it needs to be done!

Stock Harleys at dawn.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Z3n posted:

Stock Harleys at dawn.

I totally know how I could get him: trip to meet at a midpoint between our places, superslab only. :cool:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frozenphil posted:

I totally know how I could get him: trip to meet at a midpoint between our places, superslab only. :cool:

On a 250? But...but THAT'S CRAZY MAN. CRAZY. You'll NEVER MAKE IT.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Z3n posted:

On a 250? But...but THAT'S CRAZY MAN. CRAZY. You'll NEVER MAKE IT.

Hey buster, I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW...:emo:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
250s are too slow for public roads, DUH.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
I've heard if you catch a 250 on a public road and hit it, it's displacement adds to yours.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fantastipotamus posted:

I've heard if you catch a 250 on a public road and hit it, it's displacement adds to yours.
You have to cut off its steering head, actually.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Endless Mike posted:

You have to cut off its steering head, actually.
If there can be only one, does that mean that the pinnacle is a Thumper?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just asked my dad what else he has lying around. A Matchless G80CS and Norton Commando, both basket cases, and a bunch of Ducati singles lying around. I wish he'd let me put one back together.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Slim Pickens posted:

Just asked my dad what else he has lying around. A Matchless G80CS and Norton Commando, both basket cases, and a bunch of Ducati singles lying around. I wish he'd let me put one back together.

I'd love a Norton Commando, Beautiful machines.

I'd also love to get an old Guzzi to get around town on.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

theperminator posted:

I'd also love to get an old Guzzi to get around town on.

I heard you can get them for around $10. You may find yourself screwed, however.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

drat. I wonder if it's even possible to find one of these floating around anymore...Mondial Starfighter.

Bonus holiday :laffo:

http://www.thebikergene.com/naked-bikes/2400-bolt-on-turbo-kit-turns-your-hornet-900-honda-919-into-a-sleeper-from-hell/

Z3n fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 25, 2009

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I spent part of christmas watching Joey Dunlop's on-bike camera in his 1983 IoM TT win on a VHS copy of Vfour Victory, then my dad showed me how to adjust and replace cam belts and check valve timing on a Ducati engine. I had a pretty CA christmas.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Nice!
I spent the day pulling the carbs off the Bandit and making a list of things I need to buy. Then I went for a ride into the hills with a friend. Pretty CA Christmas here too.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Bugdrvr posted:

Nice!
I spent the day pulling the carbs off the Bandit and making a list of things I need to buy. Then I went for a ride into the hills with a friend. Pretty CA Christmas here too.

I wanna know where you keep getting these bike deals. Remember that I'm over in Encinitas if you ever wanted any help. I will will steal your Bandit 400 from you

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
I hate you goons who live in areas the weather doesn't suck. We have a bunch of snow and ice on the ground and it's probably going to be months before I can ride again :smith:.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande

Oakey posted:

I hate you goons who live in areas the weather doesn't suck. We have a bunch of snow and ice on the ground and it's probably going to be months before I can ride again :smith:.

Don't be a pussy, stud your tyres and get out there!

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

ranathari posted:

Don't be a pussy, stud your tyres and get out there!

Studded tires are illegal in IL, not that I think it would work that well with my bikes anyways.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Oakey posted:

Studded tires are illegal in IL, not that I think it would work that well with my bikes anyways.

Option B: Buy a Ural

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

redscare posted:

Option B: Buy a Ural

I'm going to end up like Nero or Z3n with a garage stuffed with bikes if I keep posting here. You people are a bad influence :).

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Oakey posted:

I'm going to end up like Nero or Z3n with a garage stuffed with bikes if I keep posting here. You people are a bad influence :).
No poo poo.
We're looking for some sort of car/crossover/mini-SUV thing for Jendywo.

Our requirements for a vehicle for her posted:

* Up to $30k, or so. We'd be paying cash, so cheaper is better.
* Because Cheaper is Better, so is Used.
* 22+ MPG Highway. More is better.
* Available with an automatic transmission. (She has sciatica, and her left leg goes numb/painful when using a clutch. Riding a motorcycle is OK, though.
* High-ish H-Point (pivot point of the hip, when the driver is seated). Jendywo (being 5'2") doesn't like the low H that my '97 M3 has. She's shorter than everything to begin with. The visibility from the Legacy is better, the Caravan better still.
* Room enough for a 100 pound Great Pyrenees. The M3 isn't enough room, the Legacy Wagon is OK, the Caravan is OK, but mostly too big.
* Low rear bumper - Our Great Pyrenees isn't getting any younger, nor will her replacement when that day comes, eventually.
* No 'boxy' styling like the Xb, Element, etc.
* Colorado: AWD is a plus. Even though it's generally unnecessary for Denver Metro, her (autistic) son lives 60 miles away, and AWD + Winter Tires means that we can visit in crap weather, too.

Uses:
* 85% of the use will be as a grocery getter - it'll likely only see 1-200 miles per month. Despite that, this is the most 'compromiseable' use, since a pair of Keds and a shopping cart could fill this role.
* 5% of the use will be going to visit her son, which is an hour on the freeway away.
* 7% of the use will be as a dog transporter/geocache vehicle. She loves riding with us, especially when we go geocaching, since that means nice long rides, with intermittent walks.
* 1% of the use would be as an autocross/rallycross vehicle.
* 1% would be to carry (or tow) our motorcycles to places we don't want to ride them to (or when we want the bikes *and* the dog), like to Blythe, from Denver.
* 1% would be "other duties as needed"
Aside from the long trip up to Ault to see her son, (and the fairly low H-point) a Ural and some Doggles sounds like a hell of a plan...right up until the day that the predicted high for the day is less than 30*, and she's got an appointment with the doctor or something.

The other downside? We have *two* garages we could stuff with bikes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Oakey posted:

If you can pull it off right, though, you can just have money tied up in the bikes. My "bike fund" has lost money slower than the stock market, and I've had a hell of a lot more fun out of it...

That's not counting when you do something really stupid like getting into racing though.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
It's very rare that I lose money on a bike. I typically get out whatever I put in, minus operating costs.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nerobro posted:

It's very rare that I lose money on a bike. I typically get out whatever I put in, minus operating costs.

Same...just occasionally you find that one bike that you just HAVE TO HAVE and it's all downhill.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Chill_Bebop posted:

I wanna know where you keep getting these bike deals. Remember that I'm over in Encinitas if you ever wanted any help. I will will steal your Bandit 400 from you

I just seem to get lucky on Craigslist sometimes. Not always though. The kind of running Ninja was kind of in 1000 pieces. It would have made a nice project but I'm out of room. Need to get a storage unit or something.
Hit me up if you want to hang out. I'm always either breaking or fixing something on someones bike.

On that note, I decided to get over my obsession with making everything I ride pretty and decided not to buy a new tank for the Bandit just yet. I ordered the POR 15 tank kit instead to take care of the rust issues and I'll just have to learn to live with the dent. It's really not that bad anyway, just annoying to an OCD person such as myself.
I'm going to use the $250 that everyone wants for a replacement tank to get the rear (GSXR remote reservoir) shock rebuilt and some springs and emulators in the forks. I think that's a lot more bang for the buck. Then to choose tires. This is the first bike I've owned in a long time that takes modern radial tires. I'm excited to be able to choose from more than one or two different models!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nerobro posted:

The only bikes I've lost money on were the two that I bought new. Hence why I only buy used/older bikes now :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Oakey posted:

I'd be one of those people too if I had a garage :(