Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Free Market Gravy posted:

I don't know about that. Holly was never the subject of good booking (minus the Holly Family, which was pretty hilarious), but he lasted pretty damned long. He's the shittier 90s equivalent of what Finlay is now.
You didn't think the superheavyweights gimmick was pure gold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Until Angle broke his arm with that moonsault Holly was pretty drat hot and it was maybe his best period as a singles wrestler.

Holly family rocked, especially during the superheavy weight phase. Nothing will top him calling Gangrel Dracula, then calling him a fat bastard and for him to get on the scales.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Fun Fact - At one point, Jim Cornette pegged Bob Holly as the guy to carry SMW.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

CM Junk posted:

To Holly's (and WWE's) credit, as silly as it was to have him compete with Lesnar for the WWE title, 13-year-old me took him pretty seriously and thought he made a pretty credible run at the title.

........jesus you make me feel old.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Fun Fact - At one point, Jim Cornette pegged Bob Holly as the guy to carry SMW.

How I originally read the post.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Moose Bigelow posted:

That would be his previous gimmick - Banana Bob Holly.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Moose Bigelow posted:

The way you originally read that post scares me for many reasons, chief among them that "pegging" implies he used a strap-on dong and not his own.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

Were he to join the company now in his prime, he wouldn't last nearly as long. He just happened to join when the worst booker in history was having his only good ideas.

Assuming we're talking about Russo here, Holly was in the WWF well before Russo started booking.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Kentucky Shark posted:

Assuming we're talking about Russo here, Holly was in the WWF well before Russo started booking.
Right, but he was never really successful until Russo was booking. It was mostly just a joke anyway.

Still, I really can't see him joining the company now in his prime and going anywhere. Maybe they'd pay him to sit at home so he wouldn't go to TNA like Charlie Haas.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

dusty udder smoker posted:

Thank God I'm not the only person who had the same reaction.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
I realise I'm probably missing a really obvious example here and setting myself to look like a cock (even more than usual), but has anyone ever done a "countering a spear into a DDT" spot before? For some reason it popped into my head earlier today and it seems like such an obvious move...

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn
Look at you scrubs praising Bob Holly. What's next? "Ludwig Borga was incredibly under-rated and had all the tools to succeed at a national level".

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

apsouthern posted:

I realise I'm probably missing a really obvious example here and setting myself to look like a cock (even more than usual), but has anyone ever done a "countering a spear into a DDT" spot before? For some reason it popped into my head earlier today and it seems like such an obvious move...

Jericho countered one into a front facelock -- but that was a shoot

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Rusty Shackelford posted:

That would be his previous gimmick - Butt Plugg.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

How do you work the indy-favorite: The Double Stomp? Even if you pull it, you're still jumping on a dude with both feet.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

apsouthern posted:

I think the issue with a spot like that is that it's hard to make it visually clear that it was a DDT counter and not just a spear that knocked the attacker out for some reason.

The only way to alleviate that is to slow the whole sequence down, but a slowed-down spear would look silly.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

quote:

That's exactly what I mean. I'm trying to build a sense, in my head, of how these various segments are put together

I have no idea where to look for videos, but Jodie Fleish and Jonny Storm often do a routine match, which is completely devoid of any sort of flow or structure. They did the exact same match every week in the UK, and then did a toned-down version at some american indie tournament (I think it was CZW).

Some of the versions done in the UK probably highlight it better, but the match is basicaly the "Shine" segment of a cruiserweight match, extended to something like 15 minutes, without a single piece of drama, psychology, or booking logic. There's no face and no heel, they just go "spot-spot-spot-spot-spot-spot-spot", flip around all over the place, and kick out of everything before a 1-count.

It's probably the best example of what makes a great match, because it's completely devoid of all those things, and while it's impressive, you really start to see what it's lacking.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Carlton Banks posted:

Just think, in 2017 when he looks like a white Abdullah the Butcher, we will look back at how great he looked in 2009 on the Hulkamania tour

Yep, he started and ended his career looking like Dusty Rhodes.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

To be totally fair, I turned 14 a month later.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

LividLiquid posted:

The way you originally read that post scares me for many reasons, chief among them that "pegging" implies he used a strap-on dong and not his own.

Tennis racket.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

CM Junk posted:

To be totally fair, I turned 14 a month later.

And here I was thinking I was a baby in this forum at 25.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

Neodoomium posted:

How do you work the indy-favorite: The Double Stomp? Even if you pull it, you're still jumping on a dude with both feet.

I have yet to figure that one out myself.

Free Market Gravy posted:

I think the issue with a spot like that is that it's hard to make it visually clear that it was a DDT counter and not just a spear that knocked the attacker out for some reason.

The only way to alleviate that is to slow the whole sequence down, but a slowed-down spear would look silly.

You could do it quite easily in a match with a big guy vs. a smaller guy. The smaller guy does the spear, but fails to knock the big guy down. Big guy applies front facelock, clubs the small guy in the back, and DDTs.

Otherwise, nothin'.

And thanks, Tyma. I got a video of some match between them, and although it's edited, I see what you mean.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

battlemonk posted:

You could do it quite easily in a match with a big guy vs. a smaller guy. The smaller guy does the spear, but fails to knock the big guy down. Big guy applies front facelock, clubs the small guy in the back, and DDTs.

Could always have the guy doing the spear flip over like when Taker DDTs Big Show.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

Burrito posted:

Could always have the guy doing the spear flip over like when Taker DDTs Big Show.

Also true, though again it's hard to make it look like more than a REALLY POWERFUL SPEAR~!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

apsouthern posted:

Countering a spear into a rear-naked choke seems pretty good too, as it was the one from the AKI N64 games, but I honestly can't recall either ever happening. Good call. That would be pretty cool.

Neodoomium posted:

In some cases, you extend your feet to stomp, then retract them and roll, which has about as much impact as a standard wrestling kick. In other cases, indy douchebags actually go through with the move and much like nutting yourself on the ropes, there isn't any blocking it.
[/quote]

rotinaj posted:

Tennis racket.
I read Savage Love in The Stranger here in Seattle, where the term "pegging" was coined. If it's not strapped on, it's not pegging. It's just anally stimulating your male partner with an outside implement such as a butt- plug or a dildo-blender. :haw:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

LividLiquid posted:

In some cases, you extend your feet to stomp, then retract them and roll, which has about as much impact as a standard wrestling kick. In other cases, indy douchebags actually go through with the move and much like nutting yourself on the ropes, there isn't any blocking it.

But how do you do this:

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
Lowki did it on FCW to some guy, he loving PLANTED the guy. Landed straight on the guy's chest and did not roll out of it, he stayed on the chest for a good second. I really dont know how they are doing it. It looks like they are just taking the move since lowki is skinny as poo poo. As for the nut shot, Japanese people are loving crazy.

CrankyProf
Apr 22, 2008

by angerbotSD

:( :respek: :(

drat whippersnappers.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

One of the most better later examples of Kings Road: Misawa vs Kobashi from January of 1997: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9FNCKVD6

The second announcer in this one sounds like Japanese André the Giant.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

battlemonk posted:

The second announcer in this one sounds like Japanese André the Giant.

Without watching it, I'm assuming this is Giant Baba who was.... Japanese André the Giant!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Without watching it, I'm assuming this is Giant Baba who was.... Japanese André the Giant!

it was the last match baba watched iirc

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

it was the last match baba watched iirc

Nope. This was in 1997, evidently, and the last one he watched was 2 years later.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
This video right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5eZFihFGS4

Was this a work or a shoot? I'm a little confused about it. I'm mostly positive it's worked largely because of Hall puking on the camera/Bischoff, but the execution seems weird to me. All the guys coming out and talking to him and stuff, and later on it seems they don't continue with the event past the commercial break. Mostly my question stems from the fact that it seems really low to make an angle about this when it was probably becoming noticeable that Hall's (and Nash's) drinking was, in fact, becoming a problem.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

crankdatbatman posted:

This video right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5eZFihFGS4

Was this a work or a shoot? I'm a little confused about it. I'm mostly positive it's worked largely because of Hall puking on the camera/Bischoff, but the execution seems weird to me. All the guys coming out and talking to him and stuff, and later on it seems they don't continue with the event past the commercial break. Mostly my question stems from the fact that it seems really low to make an angle about this when it was probably becoming noticeable that Hall's (and Nash's) drinking was, in fact, becoming a problem.

It was a work.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Everything is a work.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

ultimateforce posted:

Everything is a work.

Excpet what you're seeing right now! /Russo

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

TL posted:

But how do you do this:

Dino can tuck his balls into his rear end so that they're safe from bumps.

I know this because I did somethings... on the last DDT tour... I'm not proud of.

nyratk1
Jul 24, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Korak posted:

Dino can tuck his balls into his rear end so that they're safe from bumps.

I know this because I did somethings... on the last DDT tour... I'm not proud of.

Story now.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Besides the WWE and the NWA, are there any of the old territory promotions still in bussiness today in one form or another?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
FCW has been around since 1961.