Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

redscare posted:

An argument against Harleys: Eastern Block dental work.

Seriously, I thought I was going to lose fillings when I rode a Sportster.

I can't imagine it's worse then the Buell Blast. My hands and wrists were quite honestly starting to go numb after a day on it (MSF course)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
1. Squeezing past cars who are stuck in traffic.
2. Every other guy on a bike waves to you.
3. Girls checking you out at stoplights and such.
4. Cars pulling over on backroads to let you pass...so kind of them.
5. I'm on a motorcycle and not stuck in a cage!

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
14) Seeing some kid waving like his wrist is made of rubber, and returning the silly wave with a huuuuuge loving grin....just in time for his MILF to turn and make eye contact with you. OH HAI!!! :hawaaaafap:

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
13: Feeling like a jet fighter in a world of slow, lumbering cargo planes
14: Not having to worry about how bad traffic is

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
16: when you go from screaming down a dark road to furious braking and vicious fishtailing to avoid a suicidal deer and succeeding into remaining intact by literal millimeters, the former notion of "awesome" residing in your mind will implode and a new concept will be born.

17: the inevitable admiration brought upon by mentioning that you've got not just one, but TWO motorcycles... especially two motorcycles with a model name that everybody knows: NINJA!

18: I used to take my bicycle out when I was a youngun, pick random roads, and pedal madly on them to their ends just out of curiosity of my surroundings. When I first got a car, it wasn't as fun and environmentally-connecting as a bike. The meteoric ascent of gas prices shortly after I started driving didn't help, either. So my wanderlust was oppressed by these lacking factors. Now that I've got a m/c, I find myself consciously going out of my way to just ride around for the hell of it, even in 35 degree weather.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
7. Better MPG over highway and city travel combined than either car we own.

8. The amazement on people's face when I crank the bars and tip the bike way over for a tight low speed turn in a parking lot. Thank you MSF figure8 box.

9. Other couples stopping and staring at my wife and I as we cruise by two up.

10. Really nailing a curve... knowing you just took that curve better than you've ever taken it before. :cool:

Jaz
Dec 24, 2005

Part of the internet...
Guilty pleasure: Overtaking L-platers (in their cars) while wearing my L-plate.

(only in the safest manner of course)

Jaz fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 16, 2009

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
8ish: Taking a long sweeping curve at 8pm at night, no light besides the headlight that is no longer aimed at the road since you are leaned over and turning the bars, and seeing the deer standing right next to the road. The awesome part being not even flinching from my line and keeping my cool since any other option would result in unhappiness. Then laughing nervously so hard that I fog up my helmet. That... is awesome.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
14: Riding aggressively on some super-remote mountain road that's chiseled into a cliff face, taking a sharp corner with my wheels on the inside edge of the road, and hanging so far off the bike that my body isn't just off the road, it's hanging out over a 100-foot-plus cliff

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
I had the recent experience of rounding a corner after riding ~100 miles through a horrible, demoralizing rain/wind storm and seeing nothing but clear blue skies and bright sunshine ahead. It was sort-of amazing how much that lifted my spirits.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

sectoidman posted:

I had the recent experience of rounding a corner after riding ~100 miles through a horrible, demoralizing rain/wind storm and seeing nothing but clear blue skies and bright sunshine ahead. It was sort-of amazing how much that lifted my spirits.

This. loving this.

It doesn't matter what sort of poo poo you've ridden through when there's warm blue skies ahead.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Tsaven Nava posted:

This. loving this.

It doesn't matter what sort of poo poo you've ridden through when there's warm blue skies ahead.

butt-fatigue excepted.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
1: lanesplitting
1: lanesplitting
1: splitting lanes
2: making a kid's day by popping a big ol' teeny little wheelie
3: getting to wear stuff that would be completely retarded otherwise. Armored jackets, boots, mustaches.
4: the look on the grocery cashier's face when she sees my helmet and realizes all that poo poo is somehow gonna fit on the back of a motorbike.
5: slow down for speedbumps? Nope, I ride an enduro, I just use them to launch into mini-wheelies.

broadwayLamb
Apr 3, 2009

Nate Falls posted:

5: slow down for speedbumps? Nope, I ride an enduro, I just use them to launch into mini-wheelies.

Hell yeah! I ride an SV650, so I'm not jumping off speed bumps, but I sure don't slow down for them either. Just raise up off that seat and let my legs eat up that bump. At least for the moderate speed hump style things. For the really wicked bumps in my neighborhood access road I just swerve right around them completely where there's like a foot gap between the bump and the curb.

ChauchetRedemption
Sep 11, 2001

Were not accustomed to occupying defensive positions. Its destructive to morale.
1. The Raging hardon I have every time I get off and the weak in the knees feeling I get every time I do the Julian run from San Diego.

2. Riding with my Uncle and formally my Mother but some dickweed panic swerved into her lane and made her take the shoulder and crash. She's given up riding :(

3. Little kids

4. If you want to get eyefucked by every piece of rear end in a store, walk in wearing your gear.

5. The power THE PURE INFINITE POWER

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Lets see, I thought I'd replied to this.

a) Waking up on a gorgeous June saturday knowing that I don't have anything to do except hop on my bike.

b) The feeling I get when I try to fix/adjust/loosen/add-on/modify something, and it actually works. My car is too electronic and intimidating for most tinkering, but boy, I felt great after taking my carb apart for like the 5th time on my KLR and having it run well.

c) The silence, just putting in earplugs and going. Whatevers happening at the house, I can just toss on my stuff and head out for a little headclearing.

d) I really like the semi-anonymity of wearing a mirrored shield. People appear to react one of three ways; 1) uninterested, non-looking, 2) the 'i can't tell if he's watching so i'll only look for a split second, or 3) the 'he's looking straight ahead, so i can gawk' overt stare. I get quite a bit of 3) on my Speed Triple (and on my Buell, for that matter), because I don't feel like most people know what it is. With the Buell, that was mostly due to the fact that people thought they knew what was coming from the noise, but then no.. it's a short, black bike with yellow-gold wheels. They look confused.

e) 129 quick-revving, tight, responsive HP. Fastest thing I've ever ridden/driven.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
15: I did over 30,000 miles this summer, spent more time sitting on the bike then I did anything else. And yet I STILL lay awake in bed at night dreaming about the next time I'll get to go riding.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Supermoto is fun.
1. Coming in to the bike park too hot, slamming it down into first and backing it the gently caress in to the parking spot.
2. Pulling a stoppie up to a red light with a single finger, dropping it back to earth dead straight and pulling off with a power wheelie on the green light all without taking foot from peg.
3. Urban off-roading.
4. Cutting traffic like a demon.
5. Powering out of super-tight adverse-camber turns, all weight to the outside peg, leaned over, inside leg sticking out like the moto superstar a supermoto bike makes you think you are.

Teus
Dec 25, 2009
- going 120-140kmh through curvy country roads
- direct contact with nature: wind, smell, cold, rain
- having my own cool thing to care about (I drive company cars)
- lane splitting, its legal in Belgium. gotta love to be first at the traffic lights

WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale
1. Line of 3 SUVs in a packed mall parking lot waiting for somebody to pull out of a parking space. Before the other car is all the way out, you cut past the other cars and swoosh right in! Fat lady in SUV rolls down window to yell at you. Helmet hides big, poo poo-eat'n grin as you walk away pretending to pay zero attention.

2. Recruiting your friends to sign up for MSF, and being proud of them when they get their first bike.

3. Lane Splitting (California)

4. Walking into school/store/restaurant with my helmet slung under my arm makes me feel cool.

5. Going hours out of my way on long trips just because it's more fun to ride through the mountains.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

WildWanderer posted:

1. Line of 3 SUVs in a packed mall parking lot waiting for somebody to pull out of a parking space. Before the other car is all the way out, you cut past the other cars and swoosh right in! Fat lady in SUV rolls down window to yell at you. Helmet hides big, poo poo-eat'n grin as you walk away pretending to pay zero attention.

Haha, jerk. I just park on the sidewalk at the bicycle rack so I don't have to use a parking space.

quote:

2. Recruiting your friends to sign up for MSF, and being proud of them when they get their first bike.

Oh man, yeah. I feel like some sort of motorcycle role model now that I've got a crapload of my friends and family to take the MSF and get bikes or scooters. Only downside is I'm the first guy who gets called when something stops working.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

new list:

1) When the front lifts in 4th gear and then the rear spins up at the same time and you think "DEAR GOD"

2) The song of Italian machinery.

3) Power wheelies anytime you go above 7k RPM.

4) People pulling in to where you are eating outside and saying "I was driving by on the freeway and saw this here and had to pull off and talk to you about it, I ride a...."

5) Going to the garage for a breath of fresh air and just staring at it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Spiffness posted:

new list:

1) When the front lifts in 4th gear and then the rear spins up at the same time and you think "DEAR GOD"

2) The song of Italian machinery.

3) Power wheelies anytime you go above 7k RPM.

4) People pulling in to where you are eating outside and saying "I was driving by on the freeway and saw this here and had to pull off and talk to you about it, I ride a...."

5) Going to the garage for a breath of fresh air and just staring at it.

This is the kind of post that turns my brain into America ca 1860. One part says a new, high powered Duc will lead to disaster and says no while slamming its fist on the table. The other part tilts its hat slighty, thumbs behind supsenders, demands its freedom and threatens to secede. Conflict looms...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Had to pick up something at a shop on Wednesday, this shop is in the middle of a shopping center which was of course a mess with traffic backed up all the way to the exit. I hop up on the sidewalk and ride to the shop (slowly), even got a thumbs up from a cop. Traffic is too easy on a motard.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I love when you're out for a blast and just get in the zone and just start doing everything automatically and start riding really well. You don't notice the rear spinning up under throttle or steeping on brakes, you just go with it.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
16: Specifically looking for bikes that are for sale as far away as possible, so that you'll have another excuse to ride across the country for a fly-n-drive

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Nate Falls posted:

This, a thousand times this. Along similar lines, I was riding through the parking lot at my local grocery store the other day, and I'd forgotten about an enormous pothole that had developed. It was honestly large enough that if I'd driven my car through it, the wheel would likely have been stuck.

Anyway, I'm rolling through the lot, having just grabbed some groceries, and I notice it up ahead. I briefly run through my options: Swerve left (nope, there's a sidewalk), swerve right (nope, parked car), or stick the front in it (nope, endo).

Then I remember the enduro way, and I flick the throttle open. As I'm still in first gear, the front lofts, I keep my weight forward, and I ride straight over it uneventfully.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you
1. Awareness: the way you can zone out yet be in perfect tune with movement. I have ridden the twisted mountain highways of British Columbia and sang the entirety of 'Alices Restaurant' at the same time. That; my friends, is peace.

2. Gear: I turned this:

into this:

which results in:

and then there is the jackets and helmets and carbon fibre knuckled gloves etc etc etc. It ALL cool.

3. Dialled in: all those moments when it all comes together. The bike i have painstakingly rebuilt, the gear i have scrimped and saved for, the planning of a good weeks riding. Too then be out on that road/highway/trail and just giving it gas for hours... nuff' said

4. Attention: kids waving, people asking about your bike, girls asking for a spin, taking your bike across on the ferry, (if you haven't ridden from the coast to the island or back in BC then you haven't met some of the coolest people to ever ride plus you board first and disembark first. Riding off in a cloud of bikes past the return load of cars is magic)

5. The Finish: whether returning from a commute or a month long tour it feels like you've accomplished something that others couldn't. Tired, smelly and smiling. Something somewhere is right with how you came to be where you are and how you did it.

Shibaku
Sep 19, 2009
24. Riding through the woods and flicking up your visor and feeling the cool air and smelling the wonderful moss.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
The feeling when you fill up the tank after riding on a hot day and the cold petrol chills your thighs as you pull out of the petrol station.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

1.) The feeling you get, EVERY SINGLE drat TIME, you mount up on the bike.

2.) You round the final turn to go home, night's fallen, stars are bright and twinkling in the sky and bam, a couple meteors crest the horizon. Buddha may have been a motorcyclist, because that was pure nirvana.

3-5) everything else.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
1: Getting parking right away in San Francisco as I watch other scrubs in there cars circle around the blocks multiple times chuckling.

2: Spending 7-9$ on gas to go between 120-150 miles.

3: Just being you and the machine, no cellphones, just riding!

4: How my Suzuki sounds almost ducati-ish with its cut baffle.

5: leaning into the turns and throttling as you straighten.

Do girls really dig motorcycles? I never really notice anyone looking at me.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

infraboy posted:

Do girls really dig motorcycles? I never really notice anyone looking at me.

It's not so much that girls dig motorcycles, it's that they dig guys ON motorcycles. Carrying a helmet around sparks lots of conversation, and "Sure, I'll take you for a ride" can easily turn into a first date.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Night riding!

I don't care how cold it gets, there's nothing quite like empty roads, a nice camera, and a tripod strapped to my back.

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?

eggyolk posted:

Night riding!

The feelings this picture invokes would have been very different before I started riding.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
I think my favorite thing about riding is stopping on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.

In a car, you can stop on the side of the road, however you are still in a car so the environment hasn't changed. On a motorcycle you can stop anywhere and just be in a completely different environment.

Also, the change in temperature and smells as you ride along. Same this as above in regards to a car.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
17. Starting the bike and backing it out of the garage with one hand on the handlebars and the the other hand on the sissy bar. Slowing moving and balancing this strange, quaking, shuddering machine that feels like a wild animal about to come alive from a long slumber.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
This is somewhere close to the top of the list:

When you hook up a completely trashed bike to battery power for the first time in what has to be years and the gauges swing to life. Watching the ZX9R gauges spin makes me so excited to ride it.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
(in no particular order of importance)

1) Highway On ramps
2) Lane splitting
3) the feeling you get when you know you've hit the perfect lean angle and entry into a sweet curve
4) Out accelerating a douche in a sports car
5) Chicks dig riders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back