Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Mike McC posted:

If you guys haven't, go and search YouTube for old clips of QVC when Mike Rowe was a personality/salesman on there.

"It's a bag for your cat".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sildenafil
Dec 17, 2004

They're just jealous.

TL posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rChjMRfi40c

I love the look of "why the gently caress am I doing this??"

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Bilal X posted:

It's just kind of weird how they act and look like college kids despite being middle-aged, Tory looks like a super-senior frat bro but he's almost 40 :psyduck:

Holy poo poo Tori's almost 40!? Holy crap!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TL posted:

Mike Rowe has no idea how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

One of my friends just bought one of those and was completely serious about using it.

However, the Snuggie is pretty awesome so maybe I shouldn't judge.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

sildenafil posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rChjMRfi40c

I love the look of "why the gently caress am I doing this??"

'He's drawn to it, magically.'

Mike Rowe really is one of the better human beings to ever grace the airwaves.

-Atom- fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 23, 2009

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ashpanash posted:

From what I've read, the producers actually try to tell the build team to tone down their excitement. So it's not artificial (like the intro segments.)
Ugh, the intro segments. Are they intentionally awful, or is it the best they can do?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

smackfu posted:

Ugh, the intro segments. Are they intentionally awful, or is it the best they can do?

They're not actors. I really don't know what you expect from special effects people, an artist and an EE.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Crotch Bat posted:

They're not actors. I really don't know what you expect from special effects people, an artist and an EE.

You can expect them to be able to casually introduce each other to this week's myth without sounding like they're reading a script stolen from an Ensemble Comedy 101 class.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
The thing that bugs me is less the bad intros, but when intros are obviously/likely filmed together then cut and acted like they were filmed weeks later.

There's some that could just seem that way, like the car skipping myth. I find it unlikely they intro'd the myth, drove to oregon, trashed the car, left it there, drove back to Cali, found a new car in an amazingly short period of time, set up and did new small scale tests, outfitted the new car, intro'd a "We have to go back and try it again", drove it back, re-rented the earth mover to flatten the ramp, and skipped the car. The first car is just laying there during the second attempt (Still drivable!) - did they seriously just abandon it there during the interim?

I'm not sure why it bugs me - it's obviously done for story control and flow, and the show is more about entertainment than pure trial and error myths, but it seems disingenuous.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mortanis posted:

The thing that bugs me is less the bad intros, but when intros are obviously/likely filmed together then cut and acted like they were filmed weeks later.

Kari's pregnant, oops now she's not, oh there she is again!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Most reality shows won't officially have someone called a "writer" and will instead have "story producers". They along with whomever is running the show itself are going to try their damndest to craft a story, even if they have to bend reality to their will with really creative editing, creative voice overs, and staging/scripting certain things. Documenting reality always takes a back seat to crafting "a story". Which is why reality TV has become its own well defined genre apart from documentary tv. It's pretty clear that the people running the show at MB are less documentary producers and much more of typical reality TV producers, at least since the build team was introduced.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
I liked that One Way Out show pretty much because it reminded me a lot of early Mythbusters before it became a staged comedy show, there was more of a unprofessional sort of play it by ear feeling, that they have long left behind that made it more entertaining. Dirty Jobs also had this sort of happen too.

I guess once you get the big budget dollars, there's this unspoken rule that you have to start making it look like your using it, for better or worse.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
i don't know what these wistful halcyon days of Mythbusters gone by you're all reminiscing about are. As I recall the first iteration featuring only Adam and Jamie also included overwrought phony personality conflict between the two of them.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

inignot posted:

i don't know what these wistful halcyon days of Mythbusters gone by you're all reminiscing about are. As I recall the first iteration featuring only Adam and Jamie also included overwrought phony personality conflict between the two of them.

I'm pretty sure that personality conflict is real. But personally I just find Terry and Kari extremely grating. I can tolerate Adam as long as he's not doing his retarded catch-all impression voice that is just a grunty bad english accent but which he uses for EVERYTHING.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

IRQ posted:

I'm pretty sure that personality conflict is real. But personally I just find Terry and Kari extremely grating. I can tolerate Adam as long as he's not doing his retarded catch-all impression voice that is just a grunty bad english accent but which he uses for EVERYTHING.

As I understand it, Adam and Jamie initially never did anything outside of work together but they've slowly grown closer, mainly because of how much stuff they have to do because of the show's popularity like the appearances and whatnot. I wouldn't say they're best buds but its certainly a more warming feeling than when the show first started which mainly consisted of Adam being spastic and Jamie grunting in disapproval like some father/son relationship gone wrong.

Oh and his English accent is his attempt at David Attenborough and yes, everyone hates it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

inignot posted:

The first iteration had:

1) Myths that ran straight through for 20 or 30 minutes, instead of being intercut and all finishing up in the last 10 minutes.
2) A lot more time spent on the builds, especially with sourcing. Like when they put the pig in the car to replicate a dead body, they spent a segment on how they got the car, and how they tracked down where to find a pig, and they were both pretty involved. And they would visit all the cool stores Adam knew in the SF areas. Now they skip right past that part. I guess money makes things easier; if you need a bus, you just buy a bus.
3) On the plus side, at least they don't have the "urban myth" expert anymore doing talking heads.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

There was some discussion of it awhile back, but the "Everest" show is returning on Sunday night. From Wikipedia:

quote:

The third series of Everest has been announced by Discovery and will be premiering December 27, 2009. The series will follow Russel Brice's Himex team as they, this time, climb the South face, which is well known for such obstacles as the Hillary step and the Khumbu icefall. David Tait is also expected to make a surprise return to the show to climb the Everest for a third time, this time without oxygen.

It will be cool to see the south side this time.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

smackfu posted:

2) A lot more time spent on the builds, especially with sourcing. Like when they put the pig in the car to replicate a dead body, they spent a segment on how they got the car, and how they tracked down where to find a pig, and they were both pretty involved. And they would visit all the cool stores Adam knew in the SF areas. Now they skip right past that part. I guess money makes things easier; if you need a bus, you just buy a bus.

I always figured this was just part of them having worked out the logistics prior. You only need to source dead pigs, figure an analog for human bones or build an HPA rig once. I would still gladly give up the scripted intros and excited reactions for more building and science stuff.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Todd Flanders posted:

There was some discussion of it awhile back, but the "Everest" show is returning on Sunday night. From Wikipedia:

It will be cool to see the south side this time.

My DVR is recording three episodes tonight?! Why would they show three brand new episodes in one night? How many episodes is this season supposed to be?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

smackfu posted:

The first iteration had:

1) Myths that ran straight through for 20 or 30 minutes, instead of being intercut and all finishing up in the last 10 minutes.
3) On the plus side, at least they don't have the "urban myth" expert anymore doing talking heads.
I don't get the sense that they specifically excised the 'experts' so much as ran out of all the most common well known myths that could be actually tested in any fashion and then summarized by some fat woman in her 40s.

I do miss most of the other stuff, the turning point in show direction was definitely when they started with those awful "WARNING: SCIENCE CONTENT!" bumpers for the drooling LCD who want bigboom all the time.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

ToastyPotato posted:

My DVR is recording three episodes tonight?! Why would they show three brand new episodes in one night? How many episodes is this season supposed to be?

They were marathoning it yesterday, so maybe it grabbed some old episodes. I didn't realize there was a new season, hopefully I can catch some repeats.

New Mythbusters tonight at 9 - I think they're moving it this week and next to give their new show "Motor City Motors" a strong lead in. Motor City Motors looks like a reinvention of Monster Garage (in fact, it was originally going to be called "MG: Detroit"), so we'll see how it turns out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I really wasn't expecting them to be able to light a match with a bullet. Also, all that earwax was so gross its almost making me throw up.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Erik Gates nooooooooo. :(

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Wow.

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2009/dec/21/worker-who-died-in-fall-in-newbury-park/

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The real cannon test is the most hilarious anticlimax I've seen on the show in a long time.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Motor City Motors is Monster Garage with a heaping helping of :smith:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Was Motor City Motors any good, or should I go to bed instead?

Edit: Model T into a hot rod? I choose sleep instead.

XK fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 29, 2009

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I can't get past how stupid that name is, Motor City Motors.

Poise
Jul 28, 2006
jesus christ the earwax thing on mythbusters :barf:

Hawkman
Aug 6, 2002

daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn
I can't decide which nauseated me more, the earwax poo poo on Mythbusters or mangling a Model T

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Poise posted:

Grant said on the Mythbusters twitter that it's his new most disgusting myth, next to meat-man in the diving suit.

I don't know if I can bring myself to like Motor City Motors. It seems like they're trying to merge Monster Garage (rotating build team(?), prizes for completing the build) with American Chopper (family with divisive work ethics), except it all seems rather bland.

Also, that Model T hotrod was ugly even by Model T hotrod standards.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I skipped MCM because the first episode seemed ridiculously boring. I don't really care about hot rods.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

iastudent posted:

Grant said on the Mythbusters twitter that it's his new most disgusting myth, next to meat-man in the diving suit.

Was the build team around for the time Adam and Jamie buried a pig carcass in the yard for a month?

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
Pig car was in season 1, and the first incarnation of the build team wasn't until season 2.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I was thinking of the time they simulated burying Jimmy Hoffa's body with a pig encased in concrete, which was in season 2, but that does sound much more disgusting anyway.

Karthillion
Mar 18, 2006
Philanthropists Anonymous

Poise posted:

This was literally the first thing on Mythbusters that disgusted me so much I couldn't watch it.

I fast forwarded though the whole thing. Not since Mike Rowe popped the pimple on the deer hide at the tanning company during an episode of Dirty Jobs have I had to turn away from my TV to keep from vomiting into my mouth.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The warm water bowl pee myth was a tremendous failure and they shouldn't have bothered airing such a half assed attempt. Everything else was fine, even though the ear wax was more of a gross out, and the canon was not a good episode ending.

Always Shirtless
Oct 14, 2006

by Fistgrrl
yeah that warm water thing was really stupid, the best they could do is get his hand in it for 5 minutes and then spill it all over the bed? good job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

qirex posted:

Motor City Motors is Monster Garage with a heaping helping of :smith:

There's one thing Motor City Motors has going for it - they will never have a shortage of out of work locals who can fabricate for the show. There's lots of guys just like the crew tonight in Metro Detroit who would be great on the show.

It really does feel like a cross between Monster Garage and American Chopper. I wish they had used the announcer from Monster Garage.

That earwax thing on Myhtbusters was hands down the most disgusting thing I've seen on the show. That's twice in two weeks that something on Discovery nearly made me throw up.

• Locked thread