Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I'm looking at my "shelf" here and can't believe I now have about 50 games in addition to all my Steam games and my games over at the Blizzard store I registered this year.

2 and 1/2 weeks off of school isn't going to be enough time to play all these! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

And the answer is that those of us who bought Tex get what appears to be any $5.99 game of our choice free.

http://www.gog.com/en/search/sort/price/599

Is what they link us to in the email with a code.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Dudley posted:

Is what they link us to in the email with a code.

Yep, I got this. Free Myst for me.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Got the email too and finally Divine Divinity sitting on my shelf. I don't know if I'll ever have the time to play it, but here's to hoping :cheers:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

FLX posted:

Got the email too and finally Divine Divinity sitting on my shelf. I don't know if I'll ever have the time to play it, but here's to hoping :cheers:

Don't let the beginning dungeon wear you out - it gets much better once you are past it.

Mecharasputin
May 30, 2009

Ultra Carp
Thank you for making me aware of this wonderful site, got myself a Citizen Kabuto for christmas :D

You say this site is based in Poland and run by CDProjekt? That's mighty strange since there has been absolutely no coverage of gog anywhere in Polish gaming related media whatsoever.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

GreenNight posted:

Don't let the beginning dungeon wear you out - it gets much better once you are past it.

I bought it a few days ago, is there anything I should know? So far it's somewhat of a slogfest.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

meatbag posted:

I bought it a few days ago, is there anything I should know? So far it's somewhat of a slogfest.

I haven't played it in years. All I remember is that it took me forever to get through the first dungeon because it was so long and a pain in the rear end.

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!
I'm contemplating buying Unreal Tournament 2004. Before I do, does anyone know the state of multiplayer in the UK? Am I going to be buying a game with ghost-town servers?

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
http://www.game-monitor.com/search.php?game=ut2004&search=&type=server&country=GB&public=&num=30&order=players

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Should I get Jagged Alliance 2? I tried it on Gametap a few years ago, but the game proved too complex for me at the time. That and the Incrediable Machine pack.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

Should I get Jagged Alliance 2?
Well, if you ask me, there's only one answer to that: Yes! It's still the best turn-based, squad-tactics game the PC gaming world has ever seen.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

I agree wholeheartedly with this. JA2 is one of my favorite games ever, especially with mods (namely JA2 1.13).

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Two last questions before I buy Jagged Alliance 2 (along with MDK 1+2). Do I need to buy the expansion and how does it look when played on a 1920 x 1080 monitor?

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

If by expansion you mean Unfinished Business or Wildfire or whatever, I'd say if you want to, sure, but the real fun is just in the base game with mods. As for widescreen, I don't think there's a fix so you'll just have to turn off scaling (or leave it on, whatever floats your boat).

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Yes, JA2 1.13 is the only "expansion" you'll need. I played through Unfinished Business and started Wildfire, but the original JA2 (plus 1.13) is still the best experience.

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!

That's a handy link, thanks!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

meatbag posted:

Divine Divinity is pretty hard at first. What class are you playing? I assume a fighter.

Some basic tips then - hopefully you did the "sick soldiers' quest right and got the free point into Restoration. You'll also proably want a point into Alchemy so you can hix health and magic potions into Restoration potions. One Small Restoration potion heals 50% of your maximum health and magic.

It's not as deep as Morrowind, but it does have some depth to it. Almost all of the quests are interesting and require some exploration to solve, there are very very few fetch quests or "kill X monsters" quests. NPC's tend to have a lot more character to them then you'd expect.

Combat is basically like Diablo 2, with some small differences - you can pause at any time, your choice of skills is independent of your class (you can choose any skills), and there are no casting delays or cooldowns on skills/spells.

You'll never use a health potion again. You'll want Lockpick at Level 2 by the time you enter the Farmlands.

Completing the second level of the dungeon (which only has 3 mini-bosses) and the side quest will give you 1000 gold and 4 magical items worth a fortune. Trade the magical items for many cheaper items, then trade those for potions.

While you CAN build fighters who use magic, sneaky wizards, and thieves who swing a battle-axe, your class affects how much attribute points affect you, so sticking mostly to the class you pick will serve you the best.

You can smash open locked barrels and vases with a weapon, don't waste a lockpick on those. You only lose a lockpick if you SUCCEED in opening a lock, if you fail, you keep it. Backwards, I know. Also, the only time you fail at opening a lock is if your skill isn't high enough. 2 free lockpick skill points are available in the thieves guild.

Wizard skills are the only skills that can be found for free in the form of (spellbooks) on bookshelves. This can be abused. Especially since spellbooks ignore level requirements.

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
Ugh, I just bought $70 worth of games. Stupid sale making me spend far more than I would have.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
So I just bought Gothic 2; are there any mods or community patches or whatever that are absolute must-haves, or should I just play the game vanilla?

(Also, anyone got any character optimisation tips for G2 Gold?)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 5, 2010

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

Ansob. posted:

So I just bought Gothic 2; are there any mods or community patches or whatever that are absolute must-haves, or should I just play the game vanilla?

(Also, anyone got any character optimisation tips for G2 Gold?)

Patches: Not anything major, even after all these years people still play it vanilla.(pretty amazing huh?)

Optimization: Oh boy. Not to scare you off, but the Gothic 2 expansion is pretty hard. I don't know your "gaming skillz", but for me as a pretty average RPG player it was a bitch to start out, so YMMV. But same rules as all other RPGs apply: start out as a fighter, explore everywhere BUT KNOW WHEN TO RUN BECAUSE EVEN BUGS CAN gently caress YOU OHGODOHGODTHEPAIN. But yeah, you get to the first and only city pretty quickly after starting if you just stay on the beaten path, and when you do get there, do as many quests as you can in and around the city to get more powerful. And if you're in the forest and you hear a weapon being drawn or a growl, get the gently caress out of there, trust me. Bosper is a good master, I would also suggest joining the militia. I'm a little rough on how to allocate skills, but I think you'll want strength and health pumped as a fighter? I dunno, I'm sure someone who's a better player than me has better and more up-to-date tips than me. The most important thing in this game is to know when to fight and when to get your skinny rear end out of there. And it may sound scary, but it's a loving amazing game, so stick it out. :)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I beat Gothic and regular Gothic 2 but Gothic 2 Gold handed my rear end to me. Oh god.

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

GreenNight posted:

I beat Gothic and regular Gothic 2 but Gothic 2 Gold handed my rear end to me. Oh god.

My first time ever playing it, I played as a mage. :downs: Which actually isn't THAT bad, because once you get spells everything falls before you, but drat that early game. Another great thing about mages is that if you get to the act with the Seekers, you can abuse a great little trick to get shittons of money and runes!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I should just start it again with a faq. All I want is to see what the new quests entail.

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

GreenNight posted:

I should just start it again with a faq. All I want is to see what the new quests entail.

The new poo poo is really great, especially when you see old friends from the first game. :3:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Got Giants and Rise of the Triad, which I haven't played, and FreeSpace 2 which I have. Giants is cool, but the jetpack controls annoy me. How often do I have to use it throughout the game?

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 5, 2010

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Got Giants and Rise of the Triad, which I haven't played, and FreeSpace 2 which I have. Giants is cool, but the jetpack controls annoy me. How often do I have to use it throughout the game?

There are some situations in the Mecc levels where you will need to use it to progress but otherwise you can go through a good portion of the levels without it.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Strategic Command: European Theater is now on GOG for $9.99.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

GreenNight posted:

Going backwards, but how do these compare to Risen? Never played Gothic(s), but got Risen on a bad whim, and it was RELOAD CITY. Game is impossible, which is kind of good and also horrible.

edit: looking up Divine Divinity now also. Jesus, I'm playing M&M6 for nostalgia, and realizing there are so many other great games I just missed from back in the day. gog.com rules.

glug fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 6, 2010

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Haven't touched Risen yet but am looking forward to it.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

glug posted:

Going backwards, but how do these compare to Risen? Never played Gothic(s), but got Risen on a bad whim, and it was RELOAD CITY. Game is impossible, which is kind of good and also horrible.

edit: looking up Divine Divinity now also. Jesus, I'm playing M&M6 for nostalgia, and realizing there are so many other great games I just missed from back in the day. gog.com rules.

From what I've played of the Risen demo, Gothic 2 Gold is more difficult. Gothic 2 vanilla is also more difficult than the Risen demo, but it's not as hard since you get more experience and stat potions give you more benefits than the Gold version. That said, Gold gives you a ton of new content and is worth playing.

Gothic 1 is about the same difficulty as Gothic 2. Basic strategy is don't fight orcs until you're very strong...

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

GreenNight posted:

Haven't touched Risen yet but am looking forward to it.

Since I've finished it about 1.75 times, and probably am on to bigger and better things, we might could reach an arrangement. PM me or hit xxx if you'd like a near brand spankin' copy for a bit less ducats.

glug fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 7, 2010

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Downloading the Gothic II client now, anyone know if the game plays nice with widescreen monitors/modern resolutions or if it at least has a windowed mod?

Also, thanks for the tips, Brimruk. I played about half of Risen and found that pretty easy once I'd gotten the hang of dodging.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Restaurant Empire is now on GOG for $9.99.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I was so mad, but by the time I was done buying games on Steam I missed out on Divine Divinity for cheap(er).

One day!

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

glug posted:

Since I've finished it about 1.75 times, and probably am on to bigger and better things, we might could reach an arrangement. PM me or hit xxx if you'd like a near brand spankin' copy for a bit less ducats.

Woot. Your Risen copy is in the mail, and I've purchased Divine Divinity. I'll probably put Might and Magic VI on hold.

Anyone know if it's a bug that my scrolls don't vanish when I use them? I literally use a Heal Wounds scroll to near instantly heal my entire party by press 1, press 3, click scroll, click person, press # for player to heal, repeat. You can have someone use scrolls every round in combat, or just do it mad fast out of combat.

It has been seriously tedious, but hasn't felt like cheating because to make up for it, I've got to walk into rooms with 20 mages blowing me up in 2 rounds tops. Basically, the game and I are both cheating, so I think I need a breather :)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Divine Divinity has a party? Maybe my memory is shot but I solo'ed the entire game.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

GreenNight posted:

Divine Divinity has a party? Maybe my memory is shot but I solo'ed the entire game.

No, there is no party in Divine Divinity.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Rereading that, he was probably talking about M&M6, carry on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

For those of you playing UT2004:

GOG via Twitter posted:

"GOG.com Community Server" for Unreal Tournament 2k4 multiplayer is up and running. Log in now and fight for frags! http://bit.ly/8KOdWK