Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

AncientTV posted:

Found out that my woodruff key snapped last time it started, why must all parts stores be closed on Mondays :argh:

I've seen a few woodruff keys at Home Depot in the hardware department in the drawers with the nuts/bolts/washers/etc, might be worth checking out next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Raven457 posted:

I've seen a few woodruff keys at Home Depot in the hardware department in the drawers with the nuts/bolts/washers/etc, might be worth checking out next time.

Good to know, but I got about 6 of them at the salvage yard today, just in case of 5 more disasters :buddy:

In related news, my bike started up and ran reliably just now for the first time in 7 months :) No fussing either, it kicked right over.
Too bad it's dark, cold, and wet outside. Not to mention my tires are still slippery and I forgot to pick up a headlight bulb today. Tomorrow, however, is going to be a different story :D

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

loving SDTV actuator is hosed. Apparently Suzuki doesn't sell them separately. 'tis bullshit. Watch this space.

Find a used set on ebay. I'll reship them for you if you can't find any in the crazy moon land you call home. Shouldn't be too expensive. What year/displacement is your bike?

AncientTV posted:

Good to know, but I got about 6 of them at the salvage yard today, just in case of 5 more disasters :buddy:

In related news, my bike started up and ran reliably just now for the first time in 7 months :) No fussing either, it kicked right over.
Too bad it's dark, cold, and wet outside. Not to mention my tires are still slippery and I forgot to pick up a headlight bulb today. Tomorrow, however, is going to be a different story :D

I'm not going to teach you plastic repair over email if you crash that thing. :)

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Z3n posted:

Find a used set on ebay. I'll reship them for you if you can't find any in the crazy moon land you call home. Shouldn't be too expensive. What year/displacement is your bike?

K5 1000. Might need a reship, as there's few wreckers on eeekBay who only do US-shipping.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

K5 1000. Might need a reship, as there's few wreckers on eeekBay who only do US-shipping.

Do these contain the part that you need?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I beat the frost off the seat this morning. Its not supposed to get cold enough for frost in LA!

Can't wait to park it in the new garage after this weekend. :D

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Z3n posted:

Do these contain the part that you need?

Sure do:

That's what I need, the black unit on the side.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Oil change, lubed cables, bolted on two of the four new blinkers, and took off both tires (rear tire was no easy feat).

The more I work on this bike the more I realize it has been abused and how many parts are just plain broken or missing. Case in point is that what seems to be a rather critical part of the oil pump was just not there (metal tube that goes inside oil filter). It seems completely retarded to not have this part. I'm guessing the PO had no loving clue what he was doing with the oil change and somehow forgot to put it back in. It's essentially been running thousands of miles without a fully functional oil filter, which I can only imagine has done plenty of damage to the engine.

edit: PS it recently snowed here in DFW so I went and found a foot deep patch of snow and rode through it. It was pretty fun.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 27, 2009

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Spent Christmas eve day putting the studded knobbies on the GS, went for a ride on Christmas Day.

not bad for Alaska in the winter!

Even got in a little salmon fishing...

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Put on slicks, changing the tires only took me three hours. What a pain in the rear end.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Zool posted:

Put on slicks, changing the tires only took me three hours. What a pain in the rear end.

Worth the $60 for me to just take it to the store, if you ask me.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zool posted:

No Mar tire changer is on special for 500$. Or you can slum it and buy the HF tire changer with the no mar mount/dismount bar and save yourself some dough.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
If I could get it done for $60 it might be worth it. Here, they charge you shop rate, one hour minimum.

Most of the trouble I have is getting the bead loose. BMW rims are really tight, so that a rider can air down the tires and not worry about them coming off the rim. A great idea, but drat.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Gnomad posted:

Spent Christmas eve day putting the studded knobbies on the GS, went for a ride on Christmas Day.

what sort of studs and what sort of tires exactly? how do they work in different surfaces? would asphalt without ice but with some snow cover still get traction? i recently saw on a guzzi forum a guy who runs a cheng shin trials tire, unstudded, in snow. also on dry pavement too, i was amazed it worked.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

what sort of studs and what sort of tires exactly? how do they work in different surfaces? would asphalt without ice but with some snow cover still get traction? i recently saw on a guzzi forum a guy who runs a cheng shin trials tire, unstudded, in snow. also on dry pavement too, i was amazed it worked.

Yeah, i assumed studded tires would just be useless sparkshows on any kind of uncovered asphalt.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I wrote up a thread here last winter but I guess it's been archived. Long story short, the knobby of your choice, Kenda Trackmasters and Micehlin Karoos work well, regular car studs, not the ice screws, sack up and enjoy the ride. My setup works well on all surfaces, dry, glare ice, ice, but not so good in deep snow as t he GS bogs down from the stupid weight it carries. Ideally I'd use a lighter DS bike but the GS is all I have now. A KLR/F650/Pegaso/thumper of your choice would be a better choice.

I've done this for the past 5 winters now and have never had to pick the bike up. It works far beyond what I had expected or even what I had hoped for. You can out accelerate, outstop and outmanuever a 4WD, which means you have to keep an eye on your 6 at stoplights or in traffic, and I confine my winter riding to daylight hours as I'd rather not hit a moose, that would be game over right there.

Went for another ride today, it was fabulous.

Must be really bad for you guys who can't ride at all during the winter.

Gnomad fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 28, 2009

DiZ
Jan 3, 2005

I am Dizzunk, Certified German Lubrication Technician.
Today I put my bike up for sale and started looking for a new one.

Someone is coming around on Wends to check it out and probably take it off my hands. :woop:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What's next DiZmond?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I got a speeding ticket on my (g/f's) ride today. :argh:

That'll teach me to zone out as I cruise across the Bay Bridge. Plus the cop was like "I don't know how fast you were going but it was fast!". :sigh: I forgot that I wasn't on the old man bike which has cop immunity. :(

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I took the Suzuki out for a bit this evening before the light was completely gone. The 30 year old bike still gets the job done, and the wail of the air cooled inline four at 9000 rpm is both terrifying and giggle inducing at the same time. There's nothing quite like riding alone on quiet two lane road with just your thoughts and curve apexes on your mind.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007

Z3n posted:

I got a speeding ticket on my (g/f's) ride today. :argh:

That'll teach me to zone out as I cruise across the Bay Bridge. Plus the cop was like "I don't know how fast you were going but it was fast!". :sigh: I forgot that I wasn't on the old man bike which has cop immunity. :(

That's what you get for you and your drat 364 riding days a year :argh:

Sorry I'm just a bit on edge, haven't been able to ride in several weeks and its getting to me.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

That's what you get for you and your drat 364 riding days a year :argh:

Sorry I'm just a bit on edge, haven't been able to ride in several weeks and its getting to me.

I ride the other day too, I just don't count it so I don't seem greedy. :c00lbert:

But yeah, it'll probably be like 400$. At least I'm good for traffic school. :sigh:

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Z3n posted:

I ride the other day too, I just don't count it so I don't seem greedy. :c00lbert:

But yeah, it'll probably be like 400$. At least I'm good for traffic school. :sigh:

Dayum boy. That steep. Was it 20+ over?

In other news, it looks like someone jacked my KLR:

New tires came in the mail today, just waiting on the second tube before I take them to get mounted. Still working on paint job, too.

Also, is my chain supposed to look like this? I assume this is the master link. I figured it'd be better safe than sorry and just get a new chain, but jesus christ I had no idea they were all $100+

edit: whoops huge pics

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

No, they're not supposed to look like that. Replace it. You can contact Schad at speed addict cycles and I'm sure he'll be able to get you OTD on a chain for less than 100$. Tell him Conan referred you.

The cop didn't actually know how fast I was going, I was just going "fast". So he wrote it up as 70+ in a 50.

I'm looking into traffic lawyers now, I really don't want that poo poo on my record if I can avoid it.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Found sprockets and chain online for $100 with a chain breaker, not bad. Also need to order brake pads. Total cost so far is $1250 in bike and $820 in parts. Hopefully it will be mechanically sound after all of this and I won't have some sort of catastrophic engine failure and make all of my efforts for nothing.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I think you'll be ok man. If you did all that and only ended up with one crushed beer can, you'll be fine ;)

DiZ
Jan 3, 2005

2ndclasscitizen posted:

What's next DiZmond?

Looking at a 2006 Z750 in bright orange :frogc00l:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

The cop didn't actually know how fast I was going, I was just going "fast". So he wrote it up as 70+ in a 50.

I'm looking into traffic lawyers now, I really don't want that poo poo on my record if I can avoid it.
I don't see any way how this would stand up in court.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I don't see any way how this would stand up in court.

Neither do I, but given the financial state of CA, it's a lot harder to get out of tickets. I'm gonna kick it down to a traffic lawyer and see how that pans out.

DiZ
Jan 3, 2005

Today I watched my ride leave with a new owner.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Swapped out the PO's insane -1/+3 gearing for stock, and holy hell, what a difference. The bike is a thousand times more manageable now.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

DiZ posted:

Today I watched my ride leave with a new owner.

Ah, we can no longer do a black GS500 Sydney ride.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Finally got my new tires mounted and put back on the KLR. Got a new chain and sprockets on the way in the mail, and got the stock exhaust back on now that I got a replacement gasket. Doesn't look like it'll hit the tire either, which is good. Almost ready to ride!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Figured out why the ZX6R wasn't charging...

The stator was damaged in the accident.

It's kind of hard to tell, but one of the armatures has been bent down and is grounding out the coil. It was putting out good voltage at the connector, but under load, it'd just feed to the engine case. Figured it out by checking the AC current from the connector to the engine ground...shouldn't be getting 45 volts of AC current through the engine at 4k RPM. :xd:

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

It'll be pretty much ready to go after this...just need a new rear tire and to get the title issues sorted out...

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

Found sprockets and chain online for $100 with a chain breaker, not bad. Also need to order brake pads. Total cost so far is $1250 in bike and $820 in parts. Hopefully it will be mechanically sound after all of this and I won't have some sort of catastrophic engine failure and make all of my efforts for nothing.

URL plz. I need new sprockets and chains for my bike too.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I installed a set of Symtec grip heaters on the ST. What a great, cheap add on.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

ari.gato posted:

URL plz. I need new sprockets and chains for my bike too.

I ordered off KLR650.com which only has KLR specific parts on it. You can go there and see what the brand is though and buy it elsewhere.

KLR650.com has twice in a row sold me items out of stock. Waited almost two weeks now for my order that still hasn't shipped, which is frustrating because I can't ride until it gets here and I've yet to actually take my KLR anywhere besides down the highway when I first got it.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yesterday I installed some mariana duck bags onto the Duc, and today I tried to figure out why it wouldn't run. For some reason it isn't getting gas to the carbs. I sprayed gas straight into the intake, and it started firing. Checked all the lines, replaced the fuel filter(it was looking grimy inside), checked the fuel pump which looked fine inside, made sure the throttle and choke cables work fine, then replaced the gas(spilling the old gas all over me in the process), drained the bowls, and the loving thing still won't start. :bang:

Before it stalled and wouldn't start again, I washed it(made sure to cover the filter with a bag), let it warm up then rode it 6 blocks. After I did a wheelie up hill, it started bogging down and finally died a few feet later. Anybody have any specific idea what's going on, other than the carburetor must be hosed?

FlyinDoc
Dec 20, 2007
Put in new EBC brake pads front and back
Cleaned 25k kms worth of flung off chain lube gunk from the swingarm and under the front sprocket cover
Eventually managed to remove the front sprocket nut after gentle heating with a torch (previous owner had slathered the 32mm nut with red loctite :argh:), with a wet sock stuffed behind the sprocket to avoid cooking the countershaft seal
Cut my old chain off with an angle grinder
Dropped the rear wheel out, regreased the axle, bolted on my new sprockets, and put it back on
Threaded the new chain on, cut it to length, and riveted the master link
Put the sprocket cover and rearset back on
Had a beer

AncientTV posted:

Swapped out the PO's insane -1/+3 gearing for stock, and holy hell, what a difference. The bike is a thousand times more manageable now.

Funny you should say that, as a -1/+3 520 kit was exactly what I was putting in :)

I was running a -1 front before, and the change will be that much again.

That gearing should still be good for over 250km/h on my 600 though (track of course), so I personally don't see the point to higher gearing other than making things less buzzy on long highway rides.

FlyinDoc fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jan 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Slim Pickens posted:

Before it stalled and wouldn't start again, I washed it(made sure to cover the filter with a bag), let it warm up then rode it 6 blocks. After I did a wheelie up hill, it started bogging down and finally died a few feet later. Anybody have any specific idea what's going on, other than the carburetor must be hosed?

It's the anti-squid valve. Make sure you're wearing all your gear and promise that you won't wheelie again.

:haw:

No, really what kind of Duc? Does it have a petcock? Have you made sure it's not set to off or something? Less obviously, pull the fuel line coming out of the tank and see if you get gas from it there - Clamp it, pull it, unclamp and see if gas comes out. Just start following the gas back from the carbs (for from the tank) and checking components until you find the culprit.